Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Finished the main game, loved playing Athena. I may not have Krieg anymore, but smashing with Athena was pretty fun.

Four legendaries on the first go around, which isn't too bad. I didn't have 200k to spend on an awesome rocket launcher from the vending machines.

Nel loving sucks to get to. I wasted so much time with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

If you grind guns then you can't sell them, which means you won't have enough money when an orange shows up in a shop (they seriously don't give you enough money in this game).

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

True, dont grind everything. Also you can use the loot cheat I suppose.

My modus operandi for the grinder is basically, if the stuff I have is around my level I will grind it and see what I get. If it's above my level always grind it because there's 0% chance it'll come out worse because I can't use it right now anyway. If it's way below my level it's vendor trash.

...and I'm still poor most of the time. :negative:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Protip:

Everything is vendor trash.

Think this way until you're pretty high level and you have like a million bucks, then you'll never miss a IotD Legendary and you dont waste time grinding for lovely blues.

The odds of getting something out of the grinder that you actually want to use (for me at least) seem incredibly small.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

AirRaid posted:

The odds of getting something out of the grinder that you actually want to use (for me at least) seem incredibly small.

While levelling, the random blues and purples it can poo poo out are pretty decent to have, and will last for a while if they're good.

Problem is that the golden chest loot is way better for the same purpose, random drops still give out blues and purples often enough, and ultimately the money you save by not grinding just lets you buy Deals.

The Grinder is dumb and kind of half-assed.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Attestant posted:

While levelling, the random blues and purples it can poo poo out are pretty decent to have, and will last for a while if they're good.

Problem is that the golden chest loot is way better for the same purpose, random drops still give out blues and purples often enough, and ultimately the money you save by not grinding just lets you buy Deals.

The Grinder is dumb and kind of half-assed.

If you are able to sell the stuff out of it for even a reduced price itd be a lot more useful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm pretty sure that I've sold things from the grinder. :confused:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

AHungryRobot posted:

Before I used cheat engine I probably averaged around 1 blue for every 15 chests I opened. I probably saw 2 purples in all the chests I opened in a playthrough, not counting the ones you have to spend moonstone on. The grinder's a nice addition but I like the idea of finding nice things in world drops and chests fairly often too, like BL1 had.

There are definitely more green chests than red chests and those seem to give white/green items. I've gotten blues/purps from red chests fairly often. That said, with 3 greens = 1 blue, the grinder gives ok returns. Always try to grinder for your preferred weapon type of course.

And in general, normal enemies won't drop anything good - farming the 'loot cave' Guardian Hunters quest gives no real loot because it's a regular enemy. If you farm Badasses like in the real loot cave in the Titan testing facility, you'll see a bunch more blues/purples.

I saw some decent rewards in the Felicity battle - she drops some pretty great gear and there are a bunch of Dahl chests unlocked in the room behind her.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 26, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

So does using the cheat engine to get better loot drops make the enemies more difficult too? I can imagine it being really boring if you're constantly running around with awesome weapons and the enemies are the same difficulty.

For Borderlands 2 a friend and I invented a dumb thing we called "gun challenge" mode which was actually pretty fun:
- You're not allowed to manually transfer guns to your backpack.
- If you come across a gun, you have to equip it immediately by holding e to replace one of your current guns
- When you come across a vendor, sell all the guns in your backpack
- You're allowed to hold onto purples or legendaries and manually equip them for boss fights

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Protip:

Everything is vendor trash.

Think this way until you're pretty high level and you have like a million bucks, then you'll never miss a IotD Legendary and you dont waste time grinding for lovely blues.

I've gotten pretty good poo poo out of it before. Got a fantastic Jakobs pistol for my Nisha, and a Cryo Maliwan sniper (with a melee accessory) for my Athena.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I just realized I can't mark weapons as trash, but only as favorites on 360. Is this the case for anyone else?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jake Blues posted:

I just realized I can't mark weapons as trash, but only as favorites on 360. Is this the case for anyone else?
Yep, it's kinda lame. You can sell all non-favorited items with one button though.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Jake Blues posted:

Literally on this same page. It's an improvement, you only have to mark things you want to keep now.

Edit: okay, last page I guess. On mobile.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 26, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really really wish the Fridgia wasn't so goddamn insanely good because I'm hardly using anything else at level 50.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 26, 2014

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Wait, people liked the mark-as-trash function? The thing that was almost exactly like selling everything one by one, defeating the point of that function in the first place? The new way makes way more sense and is what pretty much what everyone I knew suggested it should be.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

It lets you different between "reviewed/not reviewed".

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Trash marking would have been better if a button was assigned to "pick up as trash". Although "pick up as favorite" would still be better. Maybe next time we can get that and refilling all ammo at once.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Onkel Hedwig posted:

It lets you different between "reviewed/not reviewed".
Yeah pretty much. Trash tag was useful for marking things after reviewing them in the field when your inventory was getting full - favourites = keep, trash = vendor, no tag = new, please check. If you were using it at a vending machine just before selling stuff, you were doing it wrong.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really, really want to like to Claptrap class (got to like level 12 now with him) but the special skill seems wildly unuseful for the most part. Maybe I really just got spoiled by Zer0's amazing skill that I used for a ton of stuff, mostly for running away when over my head and shooting from a distance.

I tried Athena to like level 6 and her skill seems really boring though, which at least Claptrap's isn't. I feel like I've just seen the same 5-6 skills repeating over and over with him, with only like half of them being somewhat useful and the being a waste of time/annoying.

I guess waste of time/annoying was the point of Claptrap though, so bravo?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jeeves posted:

I really, really want to like to Claptrap class (got to like level 12 now with him) but the special skill seems wildly unuseful for the most part. Maybe I really just got spoiled by Zer0's amazing skill that I used for a ton of stuff, mostly for running away when over my head and shooting from a distance.

I tried Athena to like level 6 and her skill seems really boring though, which at least Claptrap's isn't. I feel like I've just seen the same 5-6 skills repeating over and over with him, with only like half of them being somewhat useful and the being a waste of time/annoying.

You aren't playing any of these characters nearly long enough to really unlock their potential.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

jeeves posted:

You should try out Nisha. Being OP is very entertaining.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The story in the Jack Body Double echo recordings is so stock comedy movie it's fantastic. Jack confirmed for huge penis.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

jeeves posted:

Yeah, as said before, levels 12 and 6 aren't really going to give you any feel for a class's power, especially with Athena getting so many different ways to buff her Aspis. Right now I shock people for a fair amount of damage in an AoE centered around them (so it works at range I'm pretty sure) 60% of the time I block every single instance of damage. This means those annoying vision-loving flamethrower guys on Helios blow themselves up in about two seconds when I have the Aspis up. Also it does a sustained fire/shock AoE where I throw it, but usually I kill the person I hit anyway so that is a little less cool. This is only at level 22, I can't wait for better class mods and higher level skills and spreading into another tree in later playthroughs. I do want to try out another class though, especially now that I messed with drops so I can get a Legendary and more than like five purples by level 20.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

jeeves posted:

I don't find Athena's skill to be boring. It encourages you to rush in there up close and play very aggressively while it's up, while trying to keep as many enemies to your front as possible. Works great with shotguns and fast-firing cryo SMGs to freeze dudes for a melee shatter. Then at the end, you throw it and instagib 1-4 scavs. The duration boosting skill is kinda necessary to give you enough time to get things done, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah Athena with a high-duration Aspis and the Fridgia is almost boring at this point, it's murdering pretty much everything.

like, the only problem with the Fridgia is that it's so good at freezing enemies that you end up having problems eating bullets with the Aspis.

jasius
Oct 24, 2014
How full of hackers is the online, for those brave enough to try to play with randoms? Previous experience from all of the games was: randoms will have full tech trees and be levels far lower than they should be, kill everything making the game boring, dupe wepons they've homebrewed making the game completely pointless.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky B posted:

So does using the cheat engine to get better loot drops make the enemies more difficult too? I can imagine it being really boring if you're constantly running around with awesome weapons and the enemies are the same difficulty.

It does make it a lot easier, but that just means it cuts out a lot of the grinding and I've already played through the game 3-4 times without it so I'm okay with that.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

jasius posted:

How full of hackers is the online, for those brave enough to try to play with randoms? Previous experience from all of the games was: randoms will have full tech trees and be levels far lower than they should be, kill everything making the game boring, dupe wepons they've homebrewed making the game completely pointless.

Considering we're already talking about modding the game with Gibbed for our own personal use, I'm pretty sure most folks online will have some rule modifications on.

But honestly, its fun to hack in loot games and break the RNG from time to time. Making a raid boss your bitch with OP loot is great when you don't have the patience to farm up and beat it legit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dicky B posted:

Personally I constantly get knocked into FFYL even with all purple and orange items so it just makes the game playable for me.

Every BL game has been like that and I've never been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Getting knocked into FFYL a few times isn't that big of a deal, especially in TVHM. There's a reason it's not just instant death.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sindai posted:

Personally I constantly get knocked into FFYL even with all purple and orange items so it just makes the game playable for me.

Every BL game has been like that and I've never been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

That's just how the games are, you fall down a lot. That's the reason I went straight for Termination Protocols on Wilhelm after capping Cyber Commando. The awesome T2 HUD you get with it was an added bonus. :v:

That being said I've been 3-4 levels behind everything in TVHM and still kill just fine, so the scaling is at least a little better than BL2 was. I did stop and level a but before RK5 though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Getting knocked into FFYL a few times isn't that big of a deal, especially in TVHM. There's a reason it's not just instant death.

It gets annoying in BL2 though because the enemies gleefully leave and you're not left with anyone to Second Wind off of. That said, getting Second Winds do have a bit of a skill factor, ie pre-throwing nades or making sure your heavy hitter is reloaded to maximize your chances.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tezzeract posted:

Considering we're already talking about modding the game with Gibbed for our own personal use, I'm pretty sure most folks online will have some rule modifications on.

But honestly, its fun to hack in loot games and break the RNG from time to time. Making a raid boss your bitch with OP loot is great when you don't have the patience to farm up and beat it legit.

I don't understand this line of thinking. If you aren't willing to suffer somewhat, or invest something to accomplish a goal... why not just watch it on Twitch or Youtube? You'll see the same content, at the same level of effort. I don't see how giving yourself a +1 million damage gun and one-shotting a boss you are having trouble with is satisfying, or different from just watching someone else do it. There has to be some serious self deception going on if you feel good about cheating in this way.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It's very cathartic to just effortlessly mow down all the enemies and bosses that gave you so much trouble after going through the game legit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tezzeract posted:

It gets annoying in BL2 though because the enemies gleefully leave and you're not left with anyone to Second Wind off of. That said, getting Second Winds do have a bit of a skill factor, ie pre-throwing nades or making sure your heavy hitter is reloaded to maximize your chances.

This is why you play as Claptrap and put points into the skill that draws enemy aggro, so that instead of running behind cover after sniping your sorry rear end, they run into your face and start kicking you like "yes this is my moment surely nothing will go wrong".

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kaethela posted:

It's very cathartic to just effortlessly mow down all the enemies and bosses that gave you so much trouble after going through the game legit.

Perhaps it gives a quick rush, but I don't see how you come back to the normal game. That seems like your ending move right before quitting the game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

This is why you play as Claptrap and put points into the skill that draws enemy aggro, so that instead of running behind cover after sniping your sorry rear end, they run into your face and start kicking you like "yes this is my moment surely nothing will go wrong".

Wait do they literally kick you?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mycot posted:

Wait do they literally kick you?

Melee enemies do, I dunno about ranged ones. The aggro skill is SUPPOSED to be used for co-op but it also works for bringing enemies out of cover in singleplayer, so if you've got a spare point you may as well.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. If you aren't willing to suffer somewhat, or invest something to accomplish a goal... why not just watch it on Twitch or Youtube? You'll see the same content, at the same level of effort. I don't see how giving yourself a +1 million damage gun and one-shotting a boss you are having trouble with is satisfying, or different from just watching someone else do it. There has to be some serious self deception going on if you feel good about cheating in this way.

So far the only character editing I've done was getting myself some moonstone and cash and leveling up my items. Of course some folks do even more, but I'm still having a decent time.

That said, if other folks hack their lowerleveled characters even more to have a smoother time through the campaign, I'm all for that. Some games are a bit tough and if it's between modifying the game or getting stuck on one spot for a really long time, I'd go with modifying the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The ceiling in Jack's office isn't solid. Really the ceilings of a lot of "interior" areas aren't. I guess they didn't consider that video game players have a compulsive habit of jumping on everything.

edit:

It's scary up here :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The ceiling in Jack's office isn't solid. Really the ceilings of a lot of "interior" areas aren't. I guess they didn't consider that video game players have a compulsive habit of jumping on everything.

Which seems strange given how many missions are explicitly all about jumping on everything.

• Locked thread