Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I have an iPad Air 1, and iOS 8 has made wifi borderline unusable. It cuts out probably once every few minutes or so of continuous use, sometimes going a while with no problem, sometimes failing immediately after reconnecting several times in a row. It seems to be changing some network settings/renegotiating the connection as indicated by the loading sign next to the wifi signal marker, pretty much 100% of the time.

8.1 did nothing at all to fix the problem. I usually get 2 bars of reception, occasionally dipping to one, but this never happened before. I've reset network settings multiple times, and location services are off, again no improvement.

I guess I'm just wondering how the gently caress Apple managed to basically brick my $500 device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
So, does anyone have any recommendations for decent iPad cases? The air 2 ones are almost all going to be identical to the air ones I guess. At the moment only a few are announced and available for preorder.

At present I'm torn between the Moshi Versacover, Speck Stylefolio & the Devicewear ridge.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I guess I'm just wondering how the gently caress Apple managed to basically brick my $500 device?
What router? Again, there are a ton of variables involved with Wi-Fi and just complaining that it doesn't work won't help at all and is basically just white noise at this point,

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, I have an iPad Air 1, and iOS 8 has made wifi borderline unusable. It cuts out probably once every few minutes or so of continuous use, sometimes going a while with no problem, sometimes failing immediately after reconnecting several times in a row. It seems to be changing some network settings/renegotiating the connection as indicated by the loading sign next to the wifi signal marker, pretty much 100% of the time.

8.1 did nothing at all to fix the problem. I usually get 2 bars of reception, occasionally dipping to one, but this never happened before. I've reset network settings multiple times, and location services are off, again no improvement.

Here's a few things to check:

-Does this happen everywhere or just your home wifi? If yes, do a factory restore but DO NOT restore from a backup. If it persists, take it to an Apple Store for a replacement if it's under warranty.

If it only has issues at home, troubleshoot the Router:
-Update firmware
-Blow router settings to defaults
-Leave the network open (no password) temporarily just for the purposes of troubleshooting.
-Make sure the router is relatively close to the iPad so you know it's not a signal issue.
-Try another router if all that fails.

Is it iOS 8? Maybe. Is your iPad broken? Maybe. Is it the router? Maybe. You have to do some stuff to isolate whatever is actually broken. For what it's worth, I have a launch iPad Air running 8.1 with no problems at home or elsewhere.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 26, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wooger posted:

So, does anyone have any recommendations for decent iPad cases? The air 2 ones are almost all going to be identical to the air ones I guess. At the moment only a few are announced and available for preorder.

At present I'm torn between the Moshi Versacover, Speck Stylefolio & the Devicewear ridge.
I'm going with Smart Cover + BSE on the body (when the preorders start shipping) of the Air 2 like my last couple of iPads. I love that combo.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I have a Smart Cover and the waxed canvas sleeve from sfbags.com

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I went from an air to an air 2 and its a noticeable difference. Nothing ground breaking but you can tell. Tabs definitely don't refresh as much. Apps also stay in memory longer without refreshing. If you can play with one at a store, fairly sure you can notice the speed difference just messing around the web.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just bought an Air 2 for my husband for our 4th anniversary. It should be quite an upgrade from the original iPad I got him for our first Christmas! He doesn't even use it anymore because of the constant refreshing and crashing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tuyop posted:

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

I guess the pawn act involves cross checking sellers with a database and I wouldn't care about that either, you know?

Why do I care?! Best Buy is an incompetent, tawdry organization, I can't change my fingerprints, and I have 50 or more years ahead of me where my poorly-stewarded fingerprints might be used in some nefarious and heretofore unimaginable scheme. It seems the bare minimum of forward-looking caution to not participate, but to each his own.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just chiming in to say that being able to AirDrop PDFs to my iPad from my MBP is super convenient. Thanks Apple!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just chiming in to say that being able to AirDrop PDFs to my iPad from my MBP is super convenient. Thanks Apple!

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get this to work and it's because my MBA is a year too old for Airdrop, Handoff, and Instant Hotspot. :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get this to work and it's because my MBA is a year too old for Airdrop, Handoff, and Instant Hotspot. :(

Do you have the 2011 one? I was able to enable the functionality on my 2011 MBA

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I can't seem to get airdrop working between my iPhone 6 and my early 2011 MacBook Pro. System information says air drop is supported. I was trying to send over a photo to my laptop but nothing shows up when I click on air drop in finder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

serebralassazin posted:

I can't seem to get airdrop working between my iPhone 6 and my early 2011 MacBook Pro. System information says air drop is supported. I was trying to send over a photo to my laptop but nothing shows up when I click on air drop in finder.

It's probably only AirDrop between, like the pre-Yosemite OS X.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

serebralassazin posted:

According to Apple's information here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6510

It says, "In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model."

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I was guessing that maybe the hardware didn't support air drop between an iPhone and Macbook pro of mine's age. Oh well guess I will just use a different wireless transfer method like a savage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Do you have the 2011 one? I was able to enable the functionality on my 2011 MBA

Yeah, it's a 2011. Everything I can find says it's on 2012 and newer.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Vintimus Prime posted:

I just did at BB.I should have asked when the deal was ending

Turns out it's going on til the 8th, a few more days to mull it for anyone on the fence.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tuyop posted:

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

Are you for real? You're saying this in a thread about buying an iPad with touchID, a security feature that solely uses your fingerprints for security of the device, and your credit card...

Not to mention the potential for abuse, police frame-jobs and miscarriages of justice once your biometrics are in the system. There are no positives.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't even have my iPad yet, but that sounds fantastic for all of my reading material.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
On the other hand, I don't have a Mac, so it'd be nice to be able to turn off the massive airdrop icon all over the share menu.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Karsh posted:

Traded in a couple of iPhone 5's for $225 a piece at Best Buy. They didn't take my charger/cable/earpods/box either.

Is this part of the same iPad 2 trade in deal? I should be able to get $225 for my iPhone 5 as well?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Are you for real? You're saying this in a thread about buying an iPad with touchID, a security feature that solely uses your fingerprints for security of the device, and your credit card...

Not to mention the potential for abuse, police frame-jobs and miscarriages of justice once your biometrics are in the system. There are no positives.

It's not an attack, you and Lexicon seem really emotional about this. I honestly can't imagine a case where best buy having my fingerprint is worse than, say, everything in my house having my fingerprint. I'm open to the possibility that this is a legitimate fear.

If someone really had the means to do something with your print, they could just lift it off anything you touch. If they're just a Russian hacker or something, how do you see your fingerprint being put to use without the attached finger?

Even if they framed you for a crime somehow (how, exactly? Get into police files and paste your fingerprint data in place of the criminal's? 3D print your finger and unlock your iPhone to buy some guns?), other evidence will probably be taken into consideration and you won't even be a suspect. Unless you're a minority.

It just seems like such a huge leap from "best buy has my fingerprint" to "abuse, police frame-jobs and miscarriages of justice" that I can't imagine how it would realistically happen.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

It's not an attack, you and Lexicon seem really emotional about this. I honestly can't imagine a case where best buy having my fingerprint is worse than, say, everything in my house having my fingerprint. I'm open to the possibility that this is a legitimate fear.

If someone really had the means to do something with your print, they could just lift it off anything you touch. If they're just a Russian hacker or something, how do you see your fingerprint being put to use without the attached finger?

Even if they framed you for a crime somehow (how, exactly? Get into police files and paste your fingerprint data in place of the criminal's? 3D print your finger and unlock your iPhone to buy some guns?), other evidence will probably be taken into consideration and you won't even be a suspect. Unless you're a minority.

It just seems like such a huge leap from "best buy has my fingerprint" to "abuse, police frame-jobs and miscarriages of justice" that I can't imagine how it would realistically happen.

How does best buy record your fingerprint? Do they scan it and store an actual image?

What's the rationale for doing it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HortonNash posted:

How does best buy record your fingerprint? Do they scan it and store an actual image?

It's the law - something having to do with trade-ins falling under pawns or some such.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Best Buy falling under pawn shop laws in whatever state we're talking about.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Apple just blacklisted some models even though it works fine. Some people at macrumors put together a utility to get it working on 2011 minis and airs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fr3lm0 posted:

Apple just blacklisted some models even though it works fine. Some people at macrumors put together a utility to get it working on 2011 minis and airs.

Oh cool. Thanks for this. Definitely going to try it when I get home.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Endless Mike posted:

If you really want to enable this on a 2011 MBP, you can replace the Airport card with one that supports BT4.0. It takes some file tweaking and buying from people on eBay who have no idea what they're doing. Mine is supposed to get here today, and I'll let people know how well it works after I put it in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khelmar posted:

If you really want to enable this on a 2011 MBP, you can replace the Airport card with one that supports BT4.0. It takes some file tweaking and buying from people on eBay who have no idea what they're doing. Mine is supposed to get here today, and I'll let people know how well it works after I put it in.
I have a 2011 Macbook Air not Pro, which doesn't require hardware replacement. It seems Apple just disabled it to make me want a new computer. (I'm waiting for a retina MBA.)

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm thinking about heading to best buy tomorrow to do a trade in, just wanted to make sure I understand this. If I take in my old iPhone 5 and my air I should be getting about $475 in trade in, then on top of that they will give me a $50 coupon for trading up to the air 2 essentially making a 16gb air 2 cost nothing out of pocket? I wasn't planing on upgrading since I have no problem with my current air but if it's free I don't see a reason not to

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Your fingerprints are yours, and people can't just have them or have access to them. Much like your DNA. It's under your fifth/sixth amendment rights and probably a few supreme court rulings too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

loudog999 posted:

I'm thinking about heading to best buy tomorrow to do a trade in, just wanted to make sure I understand this. If I take in my old iPhone 5 and my air I should be getting about $475 in trade in, then on top of that they will give me a $50 coupon for trading up to the air 2 essentially making a 16gb air 2 cost nothing out of pocket? I wasn't planing on upgrading since I have no problem with my current air but if it's free I don't see a reason not to

Isn't it only free because you're surrendering two other devices, each with rather good resale value? It may well be worth doing, but that's an odd definition of free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I looked up the trade-price of my iPad Air 32 GB and they were offering $310. I feel like I can get a good bit more on eBay if I really want to upgrade (I don't).

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Endless Mike posted:

I looked up the trade-price of my iPad Air 32 GB and they were offering $310. I feel like I can get a good bit more on eBay if I really want to upgrade (I don't).

I've bought every single iPad at launch (don't judge me) and I've sold every single previously gen iPad on Craigslist for no less than $400 (all 32gb). You should definitely expect more than 310 if it's in great condition.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Endless Mike posted:

You can easily get between $400-500, probably a tad more if you're not in a rush and willing to relist a few times. Trading in is definitely more convenient, but that's a big hit to take on your old iPad's value.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

At my BB, didn't get fingerprinted for the iPad trade in. All they needed was my license. Definitely seems to vary per store.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vintimus Prime posted:

At my BB, didn't get fingerprinted for the iPad trade in. All they needed was my license. Definitely seems to vary per store.

Per state.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

Your fingerprints are yours, and people can't just have them or have access to them. Much like your DNA. It's under your fifth/sixth amendment rights and probably a few supreme court rulings too.

Nobody can have my face either* but I don't care if someone takes my picture to give me a Costco card or whatever. Is it illegal to follow someone and grab their fingerprints from a doorknob or whatever? Is there some difference in legal treatment given to different types of biometric data? I don't see much difference between my DNA, fingerprints, voice, eyes, and face if we're talking biometrics.

This also doesn't answer my question of "why should I care?" I'll refuse to surrender anything if it's not in my best interests. I just don't get how giving someone my fingerprints has any bearing on my interests because I can't imagine a reasonable way that they could be used against me. That's all I'm saying. What ways do you imagine your fingerprints being used against you?

*In private, I understand photography rights and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Isn't it only free because you're surrendering two other devices, each with rather good resale value? It may well be worth doing, but that's an odd definition of free.

Yeah, it was just a thought and I've already talked myself out of it. All I use my air for is awful and reading comics, I do most of my gaming on the 6+. Plus it's nice to have a backup phone in case my wife's finds itself in the toilet again.