Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Endless Mike posted:

I used ApplePay at Whole Foods today it Just Worked. It was also possibly the whitest thing I could do.

Did you buy kambucha or quinoa? Any magazines and if so which ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Did you buy kambucha or quinoa? Any magazines and if so which ones?

Also unless you were wearing yoga pants while pointing your phone at the reader, then you could still be whiter.

I used Apple Pay at a Walgreens yesterday; the clerk said he had never seen that before, and asked if I was Canadian because he heard they had that up there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Double post

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

It's phone wide for me as well (also on a 5s). In fact my wifi dropped last night while I was watching YouTube videos on my phone and I only realized it when I got a message from T-Mobile saying that I had gone over my data limit. :sigh:

I have phone-wide wifi issues as well on my 5s. :(

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd agree with you on that. For those of you with wifi troubles, have you tried the basics for troubleshooting?

-Update router firmware
-Blow up router back to defaults
-Leave the network open just for troubleshooting purposes

I can't think of any offhand, but I've seen devices that just straight up have issues with certain routers. You could try buying a new router for troubleshooting purposes as well and return the router if that doesn't do the trick.

That's not really fair to say. I never had wifi issues until I downloaded iOS 8, but the difference is night and day. It's obviously something with the software causing it, and there are obviously multiple people experiencing it, so whatever it is they did it hosed it up. The home router I use is one of those verizon fios ones and while I could fiddle around with it, I really shouldn't have to when everything was working perfectly fine until I downloaded an official apple update. And I can't just request a new router because my phone is working weird.

Sorry, but it's just frustrating to hear people dismiss these issues, too. They're obviously real and at this rate, unless they actually fix it, I'm going to have to live with much shittier connection, get a new data plan (I don't have unlimited data to counteract this bullshit) or get a new phone. Great options.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So per the Slow-mo artifacting discussion, here is one example and probably not even the worst. Now, naturally, it gets compressed being uploaded to Vimeo, but even then, if you look at his legs around the 20 second mark, you can see evidence of like pixel/artifact smoothing/ghosting. Like focus on the grass in the spaces his legs are leaving as they move.

https://vimeo.com/110084963

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Clocks posted:

That's not really fair to say. I never had wifi issues until I downloaded iOS 8, but the difference is night and day. It's obviously something with the software causing it, and there are obviously multiple people experiencing it, so whatever it is they did it hosed it up. The home router I use is one of those verizon fios ones and while I could fiddle around with it, I really shouldn't have to when everything was working perfectly fine until I downloaded an official apple update. And I can't just request a new router because my phone is working weird.

Sorry, but it's just frustrating to hear people dismiss these issues, too. They're obviously real and at this rate, unless they actually fix it, I'm going to have to live with much shittier connection, get a new data plan (I don't have unlimited data to counteract this bullshit) or get a new phone. Great options.
Nobody is dismissing them. We're trying to troubleshoot. There's obviously a reason for the wifi troubles, which came into effect with iOS8. What's causing the wifi issues though? Not everyone who upgraded to iOS8 is having them, so there must be something else about the wifi connection that's causing the problem. That's what we're trying to figure out.

But go ahead and just flail your arms wildly while complaining that Apple hasn't fixed it yet I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Clocks posted:

Do you have issues with other wifi networks?

Also, if you're leasing your modem/router combo from your ISP (which are usually giant pieces of poo poo in my experience) you can pretty easily get a replacement from them. I'm not sure what the process is for this when dealing with Verizon. I know when I leased one from Comcast, I could just take it to the nearest Comcast store and say 'hey this thing don't work' and they'd give me a new one with no hassle.

I know it's frustrating. I'm just relating things to you that I've observed and fixes I've found. I understand how it feels.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The thief who steals your wallet agrees.

So you would just leave your credit card at home so you don't have the incredibly onerous task of pressing the cancel my card button on your online banking in the incredibly unlikely event it gets nicked? And be completely unable to use ATMs?

That makes literally no sense, if my wallet gets stolen that costs all up around $40 of replacement cards - the card will be cancelled by the time the thief gets a few blocks away. If my phone gets stolen that's like a grand straight up.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

chaosbreather posted:

So you would just leave your credit card at home so you don't have the incredibly onerous task of pressing the cancel my card button on your online banking in the incredibly unlikely event it gets nicked? And be completely unable to use ATMs?

That makes literally no sense, if my wallet gets stolen that costs all up around $40 of replacement cards - the card will be cancelled by the time the thief gets a few blocks away. If my phone gets stolen that's like a grand straight up.
I was more commenting on the fact that the extra factor of authentication used by the phone takes about 1 second compared to your "slap and go" method which is infinitely less secure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I just told the android thread the same thing: make a new thread if you want to argue about payment methods.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd agree with you on that. For those of you with wifi troubles, have you tried the basics for troubleshooting?

-Update router firmware
-Blow up router back to defaults
-Leave the network open just for troubleshooting purposes

I can't think of any offhand, but I've seen devices that just straight up have issues with certain routers. You could try buying a new router for troubleshooting purposes as well and return the router if that doesn't do the trick.

I will try this as I can't remember the last time I updated my router firmware.

I also have never experienced the bugs that usually are seen online with iPhones, but I guess my luck ran out and I gotta make sure it's not something on my end.

Thank you for the suggestions.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Jose Oquendo posted:

I only ever connect to my home network so I don't know, but I'll talk to my husband about the router. I hadn't thought of that.

Unrelated: I woke up this morning to a warning that my Apple account had been disabled "due to multiple failed login attempts". I had to restore it using the recovery key. I have a super secure password that I don't even know by heart (super long, randomly generated) and two-factor authentication enabled, but I went ahead and changed my password anyway just in case.

Is there any way I can find out the IP address of whoever tried to access my account? I'm asking because I've been dealing with a stalker for the past ~7 years and he has tried to hack my email/google/etc accounts in the past. I thought I'd gotten rid of him but now I'm worried that he might be after me again.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He probably just tried to log into your iCloud account via iCloud.com and used the wrong password too many times. If your password is super secure then I wouldn't bother changing it. Also 2 factor authentication should rule out anything even if he's able to somehow get your password.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He probably just tried to log into your iCloud account via iCloud.com and used the wrong password too many times. If your password is super secure then I wouldn't bother changing it. Also 2 factor authentication should rule out anything even if he's able to somehow get your password.

Yeah I just want to know if it was him or not. But I guess I already know the answer. :sigh:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If the attempt was from an iDevice it would likely show the name of the device like "An iPhone named Adam's iPhone recently attempted to log into your iCloud account" but I'm not entirely sure maybe they only send that email if it successfully logs in.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If the attempt was from an iDevice it would likely show the name of the device like "An iPhone named Adam's iPhone recently attempted to log into your iCloud account" but I'm not entirely sure maybe they only send that email if it successfully logs in.

Yeah, I think he was probably just trying to log in via icloud.com or something. Ah well, I'm pretty sure it was him anyway. I keep telling myself he's given up but every few months he comes back.

Thanks for your help.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's the name of my iPhone so when I first read this I thought the forums has some user agent reading poo poo that would display whatever your iPhones name in the post. Whoops.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
What is the defacto recommendation for car mounts? My wife and I started driving Uber, and the hands free setup would be super convenient. I remember there being one many many pages ago, that seemed to be well liked, that went in the air vents. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

What is the defacto recommendation for car mounts? My wife and I started driving Uber, and the hands free setup would be super convenient. I remember there being one many many pages ago, that seemed to be well liked, that went in the air vents. Any recommendations are appreciated!
https://www.proclipusa.com

edit: coupon code "Saveten" will take 10% off of your order right now.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 27, 2014

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Used Apple pay at a liquor store a couple blocks away and it was everything that I'd hoped it would be. Pretty drat slick.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I got my 6 plus on Friday and I am adoring it so far despite my tiny hands. I got to use Apple pay today at a Paneras and it was pretty drat cool and super easy!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Candy Dawn posted:

I got my 6 plus on Friday and I am adoring it so far despite my tiny hands. I got to use Apple pay today at a Paneras and it was pretty drat cool and super easy!

Thanks to my card not being supported yet, I had to pay for my artisanally made Panera Bread Meal by sliding my card today. Felt like a drat homeless person.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thanks to my card not being supported yet, I had to pay for my artisanally made Panera Bread Meal by sliding my card today. Felt like a drat homeless person.
Is it us bank? That's the only card I have that isn't available yet.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

But go ahead and just flail your arms wildly while complaining that Apple hasn't fixed it yet I guess.
Sorry. I'm just so frustrated. :sigh:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Also, if you're leasing your modem/router combo from your ISP (which are usually giant pieces of poo poo in my experience) you can pretty easily get a replacement from them. I'm not sure what the process is for this when dealing with Verizon. I know when I leased one from Comcast, I could just take it to the nearest Comcast store and say 'hey this thing don't work' and they'd give me a new one with no hassle.

I know it's frustrating. I'm just relating things to you that I've observed and fixes I've found. I understand how it feels.
I believe I had the same issue when I was with my family a week and a half ago. The routers at home are a hawking and a linksys (I think -- not entirely sure what the second one is). Definitely not verizon/ISP-issued. Perhaps other posters could weigh in on what routers they're using, though. A while back I was reading about how someone said that the difference between 2.4 / 5ghz or whatever was making a difference, but I already checked router settings and mine is only available as 2.4 or something anyway.

And maybe I could grab it and return it and install a new one, but I'm not sure that's worth the hassle. We've had verizon over about 6-7 times in the past year and a half we've lived here because of building issues so the last thing I want to do is fiddle with it. I mean, that's unrelated, but I'm not the most technical and motivated person so getting new routers in an attempt to fix a phone software issue is troublesome.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Dead Pressed posted:

I use the Kenu Airframe and love it. It's super simple and I love how easy it is to insert and remove my iPhone. http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Candy Dawn posted:

Is it us bank? That's the only card I have that isn't available yet.

The Chase Amazon Visa isn't supported, and neither is my Discover IT card.

Thanks for the recommendations on mounts. We ended up going with this:
http://smile.amazon.com/Mountek-nGr...plus+vent+mount

V---Guess that happened since like...yesterday.---V

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 27, 2014

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The Chase Amazon Visa is actually supported now. Discover has said that they are looking into supporting Apple Pay but no timeframe has been announced.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Dead Pressed posted:

The Chase Amazon Visa isn't supported, and neither is my Discover IT card.

Really? My chase Amazon visa rewards card is supported for me.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I love my 6+, but man, it's so utterly apparent that the design of iOS is not meant for large screens. I think Apple will eventually redesign the OS with large screens in mind, but it's probably going to take at least a year with iOS9, which sucks. I wish they had done more than the reachability thing to prepare the OS for a 5.5" screen. I hope by next year that the main functions in Apps are moved to the bottom of the screen from the top.

I don't expect to use this phone 100% of the time with one hand, it's just too big for that. However, if they concentrated more buttons and functions in the bottom right/left of the screen (depending on your dominant hand) you could do a hell of a lot more with one hand than you can now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Do you guys use your dominant or nondominant hand to hold your phone (obviously 6+ users need both, haha!)?

I'm right handed but holding it in my right hand feels very awkward.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Always my left, and I'm left handed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

I love my 6+, but man, it's so utterly apparent that the design of iOS is not meant for large screens. I think Apple will eventually redesign the OS with large screens in mind, but it's probably going to take at least a year with iOS9, which sucks. I wish they had done more than the reachability thing to prepare the OS for a 5.5" screen. I hope by next year that the main functions in Apps are moved to the bottom of the screen from the top.

I don't expect to use this phone 100% of the time with one hand, it's just too big for that. However, if they concentrated more buttons and functions in the bottom right/left of the screen (depending on your dominant hand) you could do a hell of a lot more with one hand than you can now.

So basically you bought a giant phone and because of that you wish all the buttons were on one side of the screen. ok

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Damo posted:

I love my 6+, but man, it's so utterly apparent that the design of iOS is not meant for large screens.

I wish they had a regular 6 with a bigger battery and OIS. I think I could deal with the drawbacks of the size (I tried it today and the 6+ fits in my pocket), but I just don't see the benefits for me in day-to-day operation.

In the rare instances I watch a video or use navigation in the car, I'll probably be wishing I got the plus. Maybe next time I upgrade I'll be ready for a big phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Damo posted:

Worksforme.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

fordan posted:

So apparently while Apple Pay worked just fine at CVS and Rite Aid in those stores that had NFC terminals, they've decided to disable it corporate wide. Because their Merchant Consumer Exchange solution is better than Apple Pay/NFC because it uses QR codes. And lets them track you and your information even without requiring shopper cards. Or at least it will be better when it's released sometime in 2015.

The weird bit is the lights at the top of the readers are still green at my CVS so nothing indicating that they're off. Couldn't say if they work, though, as I have a 5S. CVS still runs on 90's era Javascript, though. so what do you expect?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So awhile back I mentioned that I was gonna get this Ebony case from Carved. It came a few days ago, and I like it. It's very thin, about as thin as Apple's leather cases are. The wood backing gives it a really cool in-hand feel, though because the edges of the case are plastic it feels a little less secure in my hand then it did in the leather case. It still feels more secure than the bare phone does, though.

Protection wise, the case isn't great; it leaves most of the top and bottom of the phone uncovered, though it does cover enough of the corners that I don't feel like I have to worry about it getting dropped on the corner and smashing the screen. The sides of the case are very nearly flush with the screen itself, so while I do lose the very nice curved edges of the phone it is easier to do swipe gestures from the side than it was with a the Apple Leather case, whose edges are raised up just enough to make swiping from a few apps (most notably the Awful app) unreliable.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow if people want--I think that the gold showing through the clear portion of the case contrasts with the black ebony nicely. The clear case is also handy if you have LED alerts enabled, it shines through and you can see the light flash even if it's screen side up on a desk.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 27, 2014

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Jose Oquendo posted:

Back when I had an iPhone 5s my WiFi connection was also hit or miss. Both on my parents WiFi and on my own. Two different routers too. It started with iOS 8.0, no problems before that.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria
Has anyone else noticed that the keyboard prediction software seems much worse in iOS8? I downloaded both English dictionaries too, just in case.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
My iPhone 6+ 128gb does this great thing whenever I sync new music to it through iTunes where it redefines all my music currently on there as "other" and only shows my purchased music in the music app, forcing me to restore from back up and resync. Awesome. Only takes about 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I have a Linksys E-1000, and the latest firmware was released in March, so after updating and having a small scare,because it took a few minutes before working normal, everything is normal, and the wifi issues seem mostly over. I always noticed it worked better on LTE once I switched to iOS 8, so it was never my hardware.

Update your firmware!