Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Any chance we'll be getting an After the End release sometime soon? I think the last version I have is 0.2 and it's CTDing when I try to start it up.

I think the existing version of AtE works with the 2.1.6 pre-Charlemagne beta patch but I cant promise that I am correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Not sure how this happened. :shepface:

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Aren't the new King/Emperor titles created by decision supposed to be titular to start?

I created the Kingdom of Iceland from Duchies of Iceland, Connacht and Munster and it immediately made all counties in those duchies de jure Iceland/Scandinavia. It's pretty entertaining but seems powerful.

I'm on the beta patch.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Danimo posted:

Aren't the new King/Emperor titles created by decision supposed to be titular to start?

I created the Kingdom of Iceland from Duchies of Iceland, Connacht and Munster and it immediately made all counties in those duchies de jure Iceland/Scandinavia. It's pretty entertaining but seems powerful.

I'm on the beta patch.

Same thing happened with my Wales game. Was king of Wales and Ireland, got an invasion cb on castille from the pope, won, and declared the empire. Now most of Iberia is de jure mine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I forsook Iconoclasm for Orthodox and there seems to be a porblem - I'm getting a relations bonus with Muslim rulers for being a filthy idolater. You also don't get the piety bonus event for conquering one of the five Episcopal sees if you're Iconoclast.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 27, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
After leading a Crown Authority revolt against the Confederacy in After the End, I seem to have gained strong claims on all the duchies that joined in the rebellion. This is probably a bug, but I don't know if it's with CK2 in general or just ATE.

Incidentally, After the End is really really good and I can't wait until the map gets filled out to Cali so I can dominate the West Coast as the Grand Principality of Los Angeles.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Question: how do Aztec invasions work re: what they target?

Right, so the Aztecs invaded Britain and I'm completely unable to fight them off, yada yada yada. They took Ireland and Scotland from me, and then declared war on me for England.

So thanks to de-Jure drift, only the southern half of England is part of the Kingdom of England - the rest is part of the Kingdom of Denmark. So when I handed over England, I only lost the southern half and I still own the rest.

Are they going to start gunning for the Kingdom of Denmark now, because it borders their holdings in the Kingdom of England? (Not that England did, by my reckoning - their new territories don't share a border with the old ones). What CB's do the Aztecs get and do they gain more Kingdom-level invasion CBs depending on what de-Jure titles are bordering them?

Because if I lose the Kingdom of Denmark to the Aztecs, thats pretty much game over for my family.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm running through a casual game as the King of Abyssinia (with the beta patch). It's around 850, and like 40 years ago I created a vassal republic in Berbera. But when I switch the map view over to show the republic zones, it seems that my republic vassal hasn't built any trade posts. Is there some reason for this? Is it because the game is still so early / tech levels on those provinces are currently so low?

Edit: also, at what point can I grant my vassal republic more provinces? I seem to remember the maximum size for republics being 3 counties, which is why I granted them Berbera (since it has 3 counties in it). Unfortunately, only two went with it, leaving me with that county on the very tip of the horn of Africa spare. When I try to grant the Prince-Mayor that county, it says that I cannot because the province limit for republics is 2 (and then gives me a percentage, like 7.8% or something). Is the maximum number of vassal republic-controlled counties dependent on my overall realm size/technology/something else, or is the hard cap only 2 provinces?

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The first level of Trade Practices gives a 100% penalty to trade post count. I think you need that to 2 before you can build any.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Drone posted:

So I'm running through a casual game as the King of Abyssinia (with the beta patch). It's around 850, and like 40 years ago I created a vassal republic in Berbera. But when I switch the map view over to show the republic zones, it seems that my republic vassal hasn't built any trade posts. Is there some reason for this? Is it because the game is still so early / tech levels on those provinces are currently so low?

Edit: also, at what point can I grant my vassal republic more provinces? I seem to remember the maximum size for republics being 3 counties, which is why I granted them Berbera (since it has 3 counties in it). Unfortunately, only two went with it, leaving me with that county on the very tip of the horn of Africa spare. When I try to grant the Prince-Mayor that county, it says that I cannot because the province limit for republics is 2 (and then gives me a percentage, like 7.8% or something). Is the maximum number of vassal republic-controlled counties dependent on my overall realm size/technology/something else, or is the hard cap only 2 provinces?

It's how many provinces the republic owns that counts, which is the provinces in the direct demesne of the doge. I made Sanaan my republic in the game I'm playing atm and it wouldn't palm off one of the counties, so I passed it to someone else and transferred vassalage to the Doge.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright...is there a good step-by-step guide to looting? I'm trying a game as an Irish tribal county in 769 and I just can't seem to figure this poo poo out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Alright...is there a good step-by-step guide to looting? I'm trying a game as an Irish tribal county in 769 and I just can't seem to figure this poo poo out.

Raise all the units you want to loot, consolidate them in you territory (important), click this :, Siege your neighbours provinces.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you have boats you can loot coastal counties too if you leave your boats in the bordering sea province.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hi all, seeing as I've played as the main religions a fair amount already, I feel like trying a Jewish game. However, ideally not as a doomed county in Ethiopia - especially as I haven't played the game in a fair while now, so I'm a touch rusty. So what I'm wondering is, is there a feasible means of becoming Jewish as a lord in Britannia? Ideally an Irish count or something, so that I can consolidate my position before going against the Catholics. Alternatively, what are other good Jewish starts? (Also, other semi-gimmick ideas would be appreciated, too. I'm also considering a Romuvan game, although I'm not sure how well that'll pan out)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Major Isoor posted:

Hi all, seeing as I've played as the main religions a fair amount already, I feel like trying a Jewish game. However, ideally not as a doomed county in Ethiopia - especially as I haven't played the game in a fair while now, so I'm a touch rusty. So what I'm wondering is, is there a feasible means of becoming Jewish as a lord in Britannia? Ideally an Irish count or something, so that I can consolidate my position before going against the Catholics. Alternatively, what are other good Jewish starts? (Also, other semi-gimmick ideas would be appreciated, too. I'm also considering a Romuvan game, although I'm not sure how well that'll pan out)

If you're playing a Muslim or Christian there's a random event that can fire where a Jewish intriguer/diplomat/steward arrives in your court. However, you can't just have your Jewish courtier educate your heir, because within your own court children can never flip to a foreign religion or culture regardless of the teacher's culture or religion, so you have to get your new Jewish friend landed first. Once you give him a county he'll count as having a court of his own, meaning that any children you sent to be educated by him will have a chance of flipping culture/religion.

Be warned though: all your vassals will get an opinion malus like "Heir educated with wrong culture/religion," but if you can keep at it for a while in a couple of generations you might have a Jewish ruler.

Also, pagans can always convert to the religion of their wife/concubines provided your religion is unreformed and your wife/concubine's religion is organized, so either Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Zoroastrian or one of the Indian faiths. Having said that, finding a Jewish concubine is really hard unless you start close to Khazaria in the Old Gods start. Theoretically you could start as Dyre or Rurik (the two Viking adventurers in Russia), go raiding in Khazaria and hope you catch a Jewish woman to take as a concubine.

poo poo, I actually want to give that a try now.

e: With regards to Romuva, it's got the benefit of having three of the five holy sites within the Kingdom of Lithuania, so even if you don't manage to reform within the first generation you won't lose your holy sites due to Gavelkind shenanigans. Just expand quickly within Lithuania, then raid and conquer your Slavic and Suomenusko neighbors to boost your MA. In the long run you'll want to form the Wendish Empire.

Also, since the Romuva holy order is hardcoded to have Lettigalians culture, you might want to start as a Lettigalian Duke so you can vassalize them further down the line. Makes holy warring really easy and cheap because you'll get a neat little vassal discount from them.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 27, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ratpick posted:

If you're playing a Muslim or Christian there's a random event that can fire where a Jewish intriguer/diplomat/steward arrives in your court.

Or the Khazars in the Charlemagne start with the beta patch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ratpick posted:

If you're playing a Muslim or Christian there's a random event that can fire where a Jewish intriguer/diplomat/steward arrives in your court. However, you can't just have your Jewish courtier educate your heir, because within your own court children can never flip to a foreign religion or culture regardless of the teacher's culture or religion, so you have to get your new Jewish friend landed first. Once you give him a county he'll count as having a court of his own, meaning that any children you sent to be educated by him will have a chance of flipping culture/religion.

Be warned though: all your vassals will get an opinion malus like "Heir educated with wrong culture/religion," but if you can keep at it for a while in a couple of generations you might have a Jewish ruler.

Also, pagans can always convert to the religion of their wife/concubines provided your religion is unreformed and your wife/concubine's religion is organized, so either Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Zoroastrian or one of the Indian faiths. Having said that, finding a Jewish concubine is really hard unless you start close to Khazaria in the Old Gods start. Theoretically you could start as Dyre or Rurik (the two Viking adventurers in Russia), go raiding in Khazaria and hope you catch a Jewish woman to take as a concubine.

e: With regards to Romuva, it's got the benefit of having three of the five holy sites within the Kingdom of Lithuania, so even if you don't manage to reform within the first generation you won't lose your holy sites due to Gavelkind shenanigans. Just expand quickly within Lithuania, then raid and conquer your Slavic and Suomenusko neighbors to boost your MA. In the long run you'll want to form the Wendish Empire.

Also, since the Romuva holy order is hardcoded to have Lettigalians culture, you might want to start as a Lettigalian Duke so you can vassalize them further down the line. Makes holy warring really easy and cheap because you'll get a neat little vassal discount from them.

Huh, OK then, well that's interesting, I may need to do that, then - although how regularly does that event fire? Once every couple of generations, or?

Also, as for the Romuvan holy site thing, the problem is that unless I'm mistaken it doesn't appear to count them unless there's a temple holding in the county, which I found out when I started a game as Romuva the other day, to probe and test how easy/hard it would be. I don't suppose you're able to build temples on holy site counties as a tribal pagan, is there?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, OK then, well that's interesting, I may need to do that, then - although how regularly does that event fire? Once every couple of generations, or?

Also, as for the Romuvan holy site thing, the problem is that unless I'm mistaken it doesn't appear to count them unless there's a temple holding in the county, which I found out when I started a game as Romuva the other day, to probe and test how easy/hard it would be. I don't suppose you're able to build temples on holy site counties as a tribal pagan, is there?

I think that's been fixed now: when the Charlemagne patch came out one of the Romuva holy sites simply didn't exist, but it's been fixed in the beta patch. Now there should be a temple holding in all the Romuva holy sites

Also, I just realized that because of the new tribal mechanics most of the tribal counties surrounding you won't have any temples to raid, so your best bet for reforming is to take the two remaining holy sites (one of them is Arkona, an island on the Baltic coast and the other is somewhere in Russia). In the Old Gods start getting the Russian holy site is going to be tough, but since with Charlemagne the Russian tribes are much more fractured it should be a bit simpler.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Uhh, the Duchy of Axum in 1066 is a really good start. You have a very rich demesne surrounded by rich, weak rulers. Beat up the Muslims to yourself then turn around and beat up the Miaphysites. By the time you conquer them, the Fatmids won't know what hit them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ratpick posted:

I tried that with Rurik and the Magyars. You can quickly become the major power in eastern Europe if you holy war the crap out of the assorted pagan losers around you.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I just subjugated the Kingdom of Bihar as the Kingdom of Orissa, and I can't get Primogeniture to keep it with my heir because my petition for High Crown Authority is hung up in voting. All the opposition have a positive opinion of me. Nothing amazing, but between 20-60. I've bribed most of them, and still nothing. Am I just hosed or is there anything I can do to fix it?

Any help on this?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Martello posted:

Any help on this?

Bribe the ones you haven't yet bribed? Hand out honorary titles to increase their opinion further? Hold Grand Tournaments/spam the gently caress out of hunts and feasts to get as much prestige and + opinion modifiers as possible? Between 20 and 60 you should be fine generally, but it you could just be unlucky.

Also, what year is it? I think there are some in-game mechanics that prevent you from having (or at least making it more difficult to have) unusually high crown authority too early in the game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Any chance we'll be getting an After the End release sometime soon? I think the last version I have is 0.2 and it's CTDing when I try to start it up.

Bort Bortles posted:

I think the existing version of AtE works with the 2.1.6 pre-Charlemagne beta patch but I cant promise that I am correct.
That's exactly it.

We've been working on a post-CM 0.3, but there's been some persistent CTD errors and after go back into 2.2.0 vanilla I'm half-convinced some of it's from the patch itself, so work has gotten a little dilatory while we wait for one of these beta patches to become 2.2.1 proper.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Ofaloaf posted:

That's exactly it.

We've been working on a post-CM 0.3, but there's been some persistent CTD errors and after go back into 2.2.0 vanilla I'm half-convinced some of it's from the patch itself, so work has gotten a little dilatory while we wait for one of these beta patches to become 2.2.1 proper.

Well its not really the idea that you should hotfix patch stuff we do in the open betas :doh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Well its not really the idea that you should hotfix patch stuff we do in the open betas :doh:
Nonono, I mean I mean we can't get it to work with 2.2.0 proper. I've played the 2.2.0.2 beta unmodded just to see how that is, and I've encountered CTDs there, so I've held off on even trying to patch the mod straight to one of the betas, so at this point it's mostly just enabling/disabling/tweaking a number, seeing if there's any improvement there, noting that the mod still, inevitably CTDs within 30 years of game start, and then going back to square one and sighing forlornly.

e: Although we've at least been making progress on making proper flags for all the Mexican counties and duchies and the like.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Nonono, I mean I mean we can't get it to work with 2.2.0 proper. I've played the 2.2.0.2 beta unmodded just to see how that is, and I've encountered CTDs there, so I've held off on even trying to patch the mod straight to one of the betas, so at this point it's mostly just enabling/disabling/tweaking a number, seeing if there's any improvement there, noting that the mod still, inevitably CTDs within 30 years of game start, and then going back to square one and sighing forlornly.

CTD's really in the patch vanilla? The 2.2.0.2 beta with no mod? Because I've been playing it without a problem.... *quick glance at the bug report forum* Hmm only the chronicle CTD which Karolus Magnus has fixed is there. If you have any more information or a save to safely reproduce it I would love to see a report on the forum.

Edit: Oh right, maybe you don't have Sons of Abraham? There's a CTD in the religion tab then for Catholics but that has been fixed and will be out with the next patch.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

CTD's really in the patch vanilla? The 2.2.0.2 beta with no mod? Because I've been playing it without a problem.... *quick glance at the bug report forum* Hmm only the chronicle CTD which Karolus Magnus has fixed is there. If you have any more information or a save to safely reproduce it I would love to see a report on the forum.
Ah, square enough. I'll run another game today, see if it wasn't something I did horribly wrong in the first beta game I tried (but I managed to form a custom Gothic kingdom in Greece before the CTDs! I don't wanna give up on that. :smith:) and then if it's repeatable I'll get that report in.

I got my degree in history, I still don't know what the gently caress I'm doing half the time modding these games. The mapping and history and graphics I can handle, but when it comes to bugs, augh, it's the worst. Really should properly learn C at some point, I suppose.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

(but I managed to form a custom Gothic kingdom in Greece before the CTDs! I don't wanna give up on that. :smith:

Sweet

Anyway if you don't have the Sons of Abraham DLC that could be a possible crash that is already fixed, if not then its something new and it means I won't sleep again :gonk:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Can I legitimize bastards as a Norse pagan? I didn't get any events when they were born or later, but I'm listed as a parent.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Anyway if you don't have the Sons of Abraham DLC that could be a possible crash that is already fixed, if not then its something new and it means I won't sleep again :gonk:
If I can repeat it with a new game, then you'd better prepare a pot of coffee, since it's related to saving and nothing from SoA I can discern. Game'll crash when saving (either autosaving or manually, and it doesn't matter if I tell it to compress or not) but doesn't do it every time I save, but just with increasing frequency as time progresses. I got forty years in before the first (auto)save CTD, then 20, then 5, and now it's like every other year when it crashes, the last one being when I manually told it to save in the middle of the year.

I'm doing a full uninstall/reinstall right now, because I'm paranoid that steam's 'verify the inegrity of the cache' thing won't cut it, then I'll set up a new game and see if it happens in a fresh game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Since we've got the dev's posting here:

Any chance that you could make it so the Shia Caliph can't be a vassal of the Sunni Caliph? The Hashimids invariably form the Shia Caliphate as a vassal of the Sunni Caliph within a year of the 769 start. Then they work together to cleanse the land of infidels.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think I have an idea to choosing which child is your heir, without having to kill the poor ones.

Give all succession types the ability to Designate an heir, but with succession laws that don't normally allow it give you and your chosen heir a big relations penalty, and a ridiculous penalty with the lawful heir.

Then add a new faction for vassals to support the lawful heir when your ruler kicks the bucket, and if they have enough support it kicks off an immediate faction ultimatum and civil war.

It pisses off your vassals because that's just not the way things work, you're breaking the law, but at the same time if the lawful heir is an Imbecile Dwarf Homosexual Lunatic, they're equally likely to say "well... maybe we can let this happen just this once." But at the same time if your heir is perfectly fine and you just like This Heir better, you're better off not using it, or at least have a big warchest because it's going to be a big loving throwdown if you don't back down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The more I watch the AI conduct wars now the less sense the system makes. It takes way too long for a war to conclude because the score always hovers around +/- 30% and sieges aren't necessarily enough to move the score up. I'm watching a slapfight between the Greeks and the Muslims right now and the Muslims have about 8000 men just standing around Anatolia while the Byzantines with 5000 men just sit there and scowl because they can't do anything. This has been going on for years.

Yeah, this does happen all the time with AI-on-AI wars. You'd think it would be simple enough to code the AI so that if the warscore doesn't change significantly for a couple years, they just white peace out.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I tried that with Rurik and the Magyars. You can quickly become the major power in eastern Europe if you holy war the crap out of the assorted pagan losers around you.

Yeah, I could imagine that Rurik converting to an organized religion would grant him a huge edge: not only does it unlock the Holy War casus belli against his neighbors, it also means he can upgrade to feudal without having to reform the Norse/Slavic faith.

I was actually a bit frustrated with the changes made to pagans with Charlemagne at first, but I eventually came round to it when I realized that it actually presents you with an interesting challenge now: do you convert to an organized religion to keep up with the other powers in Europe or do you take on the challenge of reforming?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

If I can repeat it with a new game, then you'd better prepare a pot of coffee, since it's related to saving and nothing from SoA I can discern. Game'll crash when saving (either autosaving or manually, and it doesn't matter if I tell it to compress or not) but doesn't do it every time I save, but just with increasing frequency as time progresses. I got forty years in before the first (auto)save CTD, then 20, then 5, and now it's like every other year when it crashes, the last one being when I manually told it to save in the middle of the year.

I'm doing a full uninstall/reinstall right now, because I'm paranoid that steam's 'verify the inegrity of the cache' thing won't cut it, then I'll set up a new game and see if it happens in a fresh game.

Create a thread on the bug forum and send a link to it in a private message to me so we don't hog this thread.

McGavin posted:

Since we've got the dev's posting here:

Any chance that you could make it so the Shia Caliph can't be a vassal of the Sunni Caliph? The Hashimids invariably form the Shia Caliphate as a vassal of the Sunni Caliph within a year of the 769 start. Then they work together to cleanse the land of infidels.

Ugh not really without resulting to something really dirty and nasty to fix it. So probably not gonna see it in the open beta patches.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Maybe just tweak the creation requirements so it can only be created if independent or the liege is Shia?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Ugh not really without resulting to something really dirty and nasty to fix it. So probably not gonna see it in the open beta patches.

"Must be independent to form the Caliphate" is too dirty/nasty?

nm beaten

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Rumda posted:

Maybe just tweak the creation requirements so it can only be created if independent or the liege is Shia?

That wouldn't cut it because if memory serves me right when the Shia uprising happens the caliphate comes with it, meaning that if the uprising lose to Sunni the caliphate has to be destroyed by either hard coded stuff or events that periodically check if this situation has happened.

Not Witch-King so I am not an expert on the scripts but it might be possible to destroy it in the CB, but don't count on it being fixed in the next patch but maybe the one after that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apoffys posted:

Can I legitimize bastards as a Norse pagan? I didn't get any events when they were born or later, but I'm listed as a parent.

I think there might be a bug with the legitimize bastard decision in CM or one of the patches - I had the same thing happen as a Muslim - no event popup giving the "Legitimize, acknowledge, deny" choice, but I'm listed as a parent, and no decision available in intrigue either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

With regard to legitimize bastards not giving you the event. Its not a bug because technically you should not be getting bastards as pagans or as muslims as how bastards work in CK2 is entirely based on the catholic view of it. So this is something halfway right now and will probably get more love :)

• Locked thread