Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SW 4 is great, but I really don't like the whole standard bearer mechanic. In effect it just makes you run around looking for a hidden NPC and sometime's he's not even there (?). It's weird, there seem to be other ways to decrease morale, but nothing I've found to be consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hakkesshu posted:

SW 4 is great, but I really don't like the whole standard bearer mechanic. In effect it just makes you run around looking for a hidden NPC and sometime's he's not even there (?). It's weird, there seem to be other ways to decrease morale, but nothing I've found to be consistent.

They're marked on the map with flag icons. Also, named officers have the same type of effect on soldiers. I think if the map shows a darker shade of red then that means an officer is the one giving them a life boost. I could be wrong though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Man, seeing the dub complaints makes me realize that I am an insanely fast reader. Like, I can read everything that pops up on screen and think it's on screen too long.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hows the Vita version hold up? any really terrible hang ups or is it good to go?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

playing li it feels like im playing senran kagura instead, though it was funny when tokugawa did the exact things she did in their little skit

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The GIG posted:

Hows the Vita version hold up? any really terrible hang ups or is it good to go?

I haven't encountered any huge problems, just the usual pop ins since the Vita can't handle more than about 35 dudes on screen at once.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I agree with you completely and it's a complaint I had back even when the original WO3 came out. Hyrule Warriors is tolerable because even if I miss a line from a character, the Battle Log records everything the characters say. WO3 doesn't even do that.

SW4 does, though!

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Sorry if it's already been mentioned and I've forgotten but what is the "Bonus" that Samurai Warriors 4 is included with on the PSN ? and is it just a new release thing or will it always been there?

here's a link to the store in case I'm not making sense: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/addons/samurai-warriors-4-with-bonus/cid=EP4108-NPEB02062_00-SW4WITHBONUS0000

Planning on waiting for a bit of a sale before picking up SW4 cause I'm still playing DW8... but if this is good stuff and only available for a short while... drat ridiculously huge awesome games...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Are the items in SW4 reusable? I haven't been using them yet because I haven't had any trouble, but I wouldn't mind using them if they aren't expended.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

You can use them once per battle yeah, go wild.

Is there no costume dlc up? I didn't preorder, since stores here broke street date, but i want silly costumes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, did Omega Force suddenly turn into competent developers? SW4 looks great (for a musou game), has tons of enemies on screen and I haven't seen a single frame drop yet. Plus it's also good fun.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its also pretty funny! i didn't care for the characters in the first campaign i did, but the tokugawa one is filled with jokes.

also i can see costume dlc in the store, but that might be because i used my ~anime edition~ dlc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gamed the '2000 hit combo' trophy in a Chronicle mode map and only just hit it, played stage 2 of Oda's story mode and naturally got a 4000 hit combo with Oichi.

Also discovered that people can mess with your game if you're streaming on PS4. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Davincie posted:

its also pretty funny! i didn't care for the characters in the first campaign i did, but the tokugawa one is filled with jokes.

also i can see costume dlc in the store, but that might be because i used my ~anime edition~ dlc

"The boar gave us away..."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, did Omega Force suddenly turn into competent developers? SW4 looks great (for a musou game), has tons of enemies on screen and I haven't seen a single frame drop yet. Plus it's also good fun.

The only time I've seen the framerate drop is using Musashi's Musou Frenzy, but that's totally acceptable. The game otherwise runs pretty much perfectly.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I haven't had a frame rate drop yet and I've been playing on ps3.

I love Nobuyuki so much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

Around the time they got their poo poo kicked in on DW6 and Tecmo Koei merger happened. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that a ton of the post-6 advancements came from Team Ninja advisement.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Drakenel posted:

I've got DW8XL, and WO3U. I'd be happy to play co-op, but mind you it has a stupid thing where you have to beat the level in order to play co-op on it. (At least, WO3U does.)

I'll send you one as DuCkSPANKER2 Mind you i don't have a ps3 mic, so if you want to talk, have to use Skype. (Or, amusingly, if you have a 360 too that'd work as well)

I just picked up WO3U to let it download tonight. I'm usually just running through levels with no sound while I watch tv or something so no voice chat is fine. I don't have enough room to put DW8XL back on my Vita right now, so I'm sticking with Orochi and SW4 for now. Just send me an invite if you see me on, same for anybody else I've added in the last couple of days. You'll probably see me playing Toukiden.

Side Note: Holy poo poo I can't stop playing Toukiden. Another good Omega Force game.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Is the PS3 version of SW4 good?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vincent posted:

Is the PS3 version of SW4 good?
I haven't played the PS4 version but the PS3 version is the best looking Musou game I have played.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maleketh posted:

The only time I've seen the framerate drop is using Musashi's Musou Frenzy, but that's totally acceptable. The game otherwise runs pretty much perfectly.

Yeah, I've had weird frame drops at times, like for some reason it starts getting jaggy for 10 seconds whenever I get one of those "Kotaru Fuma has begun to advance towards the leader" ninja events.

It does look pretty good, though. Guess it took a new console for them to finally get their games to look like PS3 titles!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there something about the shops in Chronicle mode I'm not understanding? I get to a new area and can buy a bunch of armors for my male CAW. I switch to the female CAW I made and go to the shop again and there aren't any at all anymore. Is there more to the shop than just "go to new area -> new stuff"? Is there a level requirement too or something? It's really starting to aggravate me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can you get revolvers in chronicle mode? i made colonel custer but i want guns.

also im glad you can put on masks cause while most customization options are decent the faces have no real in between between 2 pretty boys and the ugliest man in the world

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Davincie posted:

also im glad you can put on masks cause while most customization options are decent the faces have no real in between between 2 pretty boys and the ugliest man in the world

Bald, ugly, deep and dramatic voice 4 lyfe.

No idea on revolvers though. Maybe if you raise that gun guy's friendship level to the highest and see all of his events? Saito? Matio? Sorry, blanking on the name. He's the bandit guy in the Legend of Oda stages. You can play as him for a stage and then end up fighting against him since he's a mercenary. I don't know SW people as well as DW.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Static Rook posted:

I just made my dude hella shaggy plus those big mutton chops and deep/wise voice forever.

For guns aside from rifles though, only person I can think of seeing with them so far is probably Masamune who uses sword+pistol.

Also agreed with all the posts on the quality. It looks really nice, there's plenty of dudes on screen, no frame drops that I could notice. They did a pretty sweet job.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

can you get revolvers in chronicle mode? i made colonel custer but i want guns.

I guess you unlock new weapons by getting friendships to max level, so try befriending Masamune?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Static Rook posted:

No idea on revolvers though. Maybe if you raise that gun guy's friendship level to the highest and see all of his events? Saito? Matio? Sorry, blanking on the name. He's the bandit guy in the Legend of Oda stages. You can play as him for a stage and then end up fighting against him since he's a mercenary. I don't know SW people as well as DW.

Magoichi Saika is who you're thinking of. I think Gracia might also be guns-oriented?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Hyrule Warriors a remarkable Musou game even if I don't have strong feelings about the Zelda series?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Hyrule Warriors a remarkable Musou game even if I don't have strong feelings about the Zelda series?

It's sincerely quite a good game, yes. Tons of content, tons of mooks and a really refreshing feeling of variety between the cast members. It also has the dumbest, silliest story in a really good way.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

hyrule warriors is hella good. i donīt really like zelda games and iīve been having a hell of a time. every character feels way different from eachother, shitload of content to play with. it has some faults tho, the generic officers are monster types who can be kind of annoying to beat and one of the modes their difficulty is dependent on you remembering the route you take in zelda 1.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

warhammer651 posted:

Magoichi Saika is who you're thinking of. I think Gracia might also be guns-oriented?

Gracia only relies on her bracelets and the eternal love of our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Masamune Date uses a sword and flintlock pistol and Goemon Ishikawa uses a mace and cannon. Magoicihi as stated before uses a flintlock so Masamune Date is probably your best bet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a very good game with a lot to do but keep in mind that the roster is fairly small, compared to how ridiculous most other Warriors games have gotten.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

It's a very good game with a lot to do but keep in mind that the roster is fairly small, compared to how ridiculous most other Warriors games have gotten.

Yeah, but each character and weapon plays distinctly and uniquely different unlike a lot of other Warriors games.

Just spent almost all day playing Chronicle mode in SW4, I need help. :stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, the frame rate on Hyrule Warriors is pretty rough compared to what I have become accustomed to with the last few Musou games. Other than that it's pretty good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I wound up picking up SW4 for my Vita. How do you boost friendship levels to get weapons for CAWs? I've fought with some alot, but I've only gotten a few events.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BenRGamer posted:

I wound up picking up SW4 for my Vita. How do you boost friendship levels to get weapons for CAWs? I've fought with some alot, but I've only gotten a few events.

The easiest way is to keep characters as your secondary, but yeah, a lot don't even join you until you've already boosted their friendship up a bit and it seems to be that the only way otherwise is just to keep fighting random battles until you get ones with them on your side. I've not been worrying about it and just concentrated on unlocking regions and levelling up my life goals.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

FutureFriend posted:

hyrule warriors is hella good. i don´t really like zelda games and i´ve been having a hell of a time. every character feels way different from eachother, shitload of content to play with. it has some faults tho, the generic officers are monster types who can be kind of annoying to beat and one of the modes their difficulty is dependent on you remembering the route you take in zelda 1.

You don't REALLY need to know much about Zelda 1. You can just use compasses a lot to see where to use an item. In Adventure mode, you just need to know what item works on a suspicious spot. Use a compass to see where to use items, and if it's a bush use a candle, a cliff wall use a bomb, etc.

You'll need to replay levels to get more compasses, but still

Hyrule Warriors is awesome and everyone should buy it, is my point

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Kai owns. Lover her personality, love her move set. I'm enjoying the game more by using the characters by their type. For example, Ina is a special type, so I use her special all the time. Yukimura is a power type, so I use his charge move set. Kai is a normal type so I use her normals a lot. I'm try to use hyper only when I need to, for example, for crowd control, or when I need to get a way FAST, or when I need musou NOW. The game is much more enjoyable that way when you leave hyper moves for mostly hyper characters. It takes restraint because hyper attacks have NO downside at all and can be easily abused, but it's making the game much more enjoyable for me.

Sanada storyline can be surprisingly tough too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

PureRok posted:

Is there something about the shops in Chronicle mode I'm not understanding? I get to a new area and can buy a bunch of armors for my male CAW. I switch to the female CAW I made and go to the shop again and there aren't any at all anymore. Is there more to the shop than just "go to new area -> new stuff"? Is there a level requirement too or something? It's really starting to aggravate me.

So does nobody know? I read that you also need to complete story modes, but I finished one today and nothing new showed up so I think that's bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Kai owns.
Yep. Her and her giant 80s hair doesn't take poo poo from anybody.