Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Himuro posted:

Kai owns. Lover her personality, love her move set. I'm enjoying the game more by using the characters by their type. For example, Ina is a special type, so I use her special all the time. Yukimura is a power type, so I use his charge move set. Kai is a normal type so I use her normals a lot. I'm try to use hyper only when I need to, for example, for crowd control, or when I need to get a way FAST, or when I need musou NOW. The game is much more enjoyable that way when you leave hyper moves for mostly hyper characters. It takes restraint because hyper attacks have NO downside at all and can be easily abused, but it's making the game much more enjoyable for me.

Sanada storyline can be surprisingly tough too.

Except that hyper mode can be easily blocked by enemy officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Calax posted:

Except that hyper mode can be easily blocked by enemy officers.

This doesn't change anything, because it still takes a lot of enemies NEAR the officer, giving you an edge and also giving you breathing room since you're being knocked back. Being blocked by officers is a good thing because it still helps clear the crowd and build your musou guage, and also by being a defensive tactic. Never mind that everything else BESIDES officers is abusable.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 27, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want more Musou games for PC. Only thing we have is DW8 XL. Samurai Warriors is my favorite Musou.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
There's also Orochi 1 for PC. Though I think there's no place to digitally buy it now.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It doesn't look like Koei has released any sales data for DW8 so I can only hope it did well enough. It's been pretty dry for me as a Warriors series fan since I swore off of consoles after the 360 and joined the PC master race poverty players.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gimnbo posted:

It doesn't look like Koei has released any sales data for DW8 so I can only hope it did well enough. It's been pretty dry for me as a Warriors series fan since I swore off of consoles after the 360 and joined the PC master race poverty players.

It was on the top 10 when it first came out and often when it's on sale. Good sign?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hello has anyone said "Koshosh-owns" yet because she does. Just strutting and sassy posing on everyone's faces.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hyper moves are the best, I use them all day erryday.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Finished Sanada story.

The storytelling in this game is pretty bad. There's barely any sense of flow. Most stages have no purpose or the purpose isn't explicitly told. In the Sanada storyline, I was expecting this great build up to Nobuyuki v Yukimura given the fact that's what Koei is mostly advertising story-wise with this one, and it never happened. There's no reason given for Nobuyuki to join with Ieyasu. One map he's with the Sanada's, next map he's married to Ina and on the Tokugawa side. Then it skips 15 years to Siege of Osaka and I'm just left with a vocal "what". The end result feels half assed given that this took two Clans just to tell, without any motivations given. Historically, there are a lot of ideas and theories on why Masayuki and Yukimura joined the Toyotomi, none of which are explored here. In past Samurai Warrior warriors games, noticeably 2, they give the excuse of friendship with Mitsunari. Here? Nothing. Nobuyuki's reasoning is even more vague given his previous care for his family name and brother. He meets Ina just once in the story, weapons drawn, makes no mention of Tokugawa again, but suddenly joins him. It's poorly explained.

More than that, the finale duel cutscene between Yukimura and Nobuyuki was pretty lame. In history and folklore, it's been said that Yukimura became injured gravely, and became too tired to fight, so he ended up telling his opponents his clan and name, that he was injured, and that he would wish to die as an honorable warrior, to which his head was cut off. Past games did this pretty well (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_lwaplL08)Here, Nobuyuki and him fight. Nobuyuki doesn't even hit Yukimura with a blow. Yukimura doesn't even look tired. He just cartoonishly runs towards his death. it's loving hilarious.

Given that this was Koei's main advertised story for the story mode, I'm not too impressed. Oda's story campaign was similarly bad. I just can't help but feel like story mode is rushed. From the map design, to the actual story writing. It lacks that Koei zeal for me, which is striking because Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 particularly do a pretty great job of presenting their characters, their goals, and their stories, unlike Samurai Warriors 4.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there no way to buy level ups for characters in SW4? Seems like it's been in every recent Musou game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there no way to buy level ups for characters in SW4? Seems like it's been in every recent Musou game.

No, but you'll level exponentially faster if you're below a certain threshold, it feels like. One go of Gracia on the last Oda level got her to level 15 or so, admittedly with two xp items attached.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, okay.

Playing more of SW4, the weapon system seems kind of bad. I don't so much mind the fact that there are only two weapon models for each character, but the randomness of the drops just makes the whole thing a crapshoot. Is there any reason why you shouldn't just try to get the unique weapons as fast as possible? Also the gems are a complete non-factor since you get like at least 15 of them in any given level.

The reforge system is a good idea in theory, but it just seems like a totally useless version of DW8's where you could actually build your weapons the way you wanted them. Though in that game it was also massively broken, so I guess they tried to find a middle-ground, but I don't particularly like using it.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Himuro posted:

Sanada storyline can be surprisingly tough too.

If By "tough" you mean emotionally then hell yeah. poor nobuyuki :cry:. On another note I can't decide on a favorite character yet. They are all really fun to play. I'd say maybe lady hayakawa because I like Destroying people through the power of preppy rich kids sport.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Playing more of SW4, the weapon system seems kind of bad.

I find myself not really minding because weapons seem waaay less important than base level and stats. The game's been pretty nice at letting me just pick up a new character with no mess, no fuss, no dragging them back through earlier levels to get some xp and gear first.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's true. It sucks much less to play with low-level characters in this game. It just feels like overall it needs more of a moment to moment carrot, especially when Hyrule Warriors is really good about that. It'd be cool if the metagame was as satisfying as the combat, which as far as I'm concerned is top of the class for this franchise.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyrule Warriors has very close to the best possible system.

You've got material for abilities which means that even if you never touch a character you can instantly build up their combos and attacks. On top of that it has money-leveling so you never have to worry about being too far behind there. If materials were less annoying to grind it'd be perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta have that Musou grind. SW4 seems pretty reasonable until you look at the chances of some characters treasures dropping. Guessing there's a way to improve that maybe?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Every time you kill them, regardless of whether you satisfy the conditions or not, the %age chance raises.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sakurazuka posted:

Gotta have that Musou grind. SW4 seems pretty reasonable until you look at the chances of some characters treasures dropping. Guessing there's a way to improve that maybe?

The more you beat them in general, the higher the % goes.

E: Welp.

Also if anyone would like to try some (PS3) SW4 coop, whether for story, Chronicle or whatever add me up - VoodooYardbomb

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 27, 2014

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
The worst part of SW4 on the PS4 is just starting the game up. I'm not sure how Sony certifies a game with all of the annoying prompts like that.

But hey, if that's the worst I can complain about...

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Caved in and picked up SW4, loving it so far. Really like that you have to level characters individually, rather than in DW8 where they join you at a similar level to you, it gives more reason to pick everyone. And I love that you can increase your proficiency in the different types of attach, gives you a reason to vary your attack and means you've always got something extra to focus/work on during a battle.

Quick question though:

How many different weapons does each charater have? or is it just the one with different skills?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chewy Bitems posted:

How many different weapons does each charater have? or is it just the one with different skills?

Two. Every weapon that regularly drops is the same kind, only the gem slots are different, and I believe you'll get more slots the higher level you are. The other kind is each character's unique weapon, which can be gotten by filling specific requirements in a stage on hard or higher.

Well I guess there are DLC weapons on top of that as well.

Edit: I forgot to ask, anyone know what the max level for each move type is?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 27, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I really wish the characters in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate would raise their proficiency levels faster - it's not a problem for characters that I actually like using, but there a few whose cards can only be obtained by raising it I don't care for and it's just such a slog. Thankfully there are battles with numerous enemies and on Easy even my stupid AI can't actually die.

I wonder by how much Mystic Brace and Industry actually raises the proficiency gauge, because even with Brace +8 and Industry at 4/5 (if I'm lucky) it still takes two battles of exclusively using a character to get to S.

Also Nezha defeating Lu Bu in battle is really weird, they could've at least have some cutscene or something because it's getting a bit funny whenever I run through the stages with them. A cutscene would get annoying to skip fast, though, so maybe that's for the best.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Szurumbur posted:

Also Nezha defeating Lu Bu in battle is really weird, they could've at least have some cutscene or something because it's getting a bit funny whenever I run through the stages with them. A cutscene would get annoying to skip fast, though, so maybe that's for the best.

Seriously. The game is all "URGH HE'S SO STRONG AND UNSTOPPABLE"

"OH NO, HERE HE COM-" *Musou*

:saddowns: "How can I lose to a human?!"

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Drakenel posted:

Seriously. The game is all "URGH HE'S SO STRONG AND UNSTOPPABLE"

"OH NO, HERE HE COM-" *Musou*

:saddowns: "How can I lose to a human?!"

I think it's amusing at least that they pitted him against Lu Bu and not their beloved, perfect-win-streak Honda Tadakatsu.

Honda's a properly terrifying badass in SW4 so far though. Admittedly, I'm only about two storylines deep. Beyond Earth blindsided me.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

5er posted:

I think it's amusing at least that they pitted him against Lu Bu and not their beloved, perfect-win-streak Honda Tadakatsu.

To be fair, though, that's more or less how they are in their respective source material. Lu Bu was an amazing warrior who still lost due to lack of tactical sense, while Tadakatsu reputedly never suffered a major combat injury or lost an engagement in his career.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

5er posted:

Honda's a properly terrifying badass in SW4 so far though. Admittedly, I'm only about two storylines deep. Beyond Earth blindsided me.

"It's the unparalleled Tadakatsu!"

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Maleketh posted:

To be fair, though, that's more or less how they are in their respective source material. Lu Bu was an amazing warrior who still lost due to lack of tactical sense, while Tadakatsu reputedly never suffered a major combat injury or lost an engagement in his career.

In short, 'well, Lu Bu *is* the loudmouth shitheel,' which is adequate.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I just discovered that the treasure items in SW4 are reuable after a cooldown. That makes them a lot better than I'd initially thought.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5er posted:

Didn't encounter him until I'd levelled up a bit, v.disappointed he didn't destroy me. Though the difficulty is kind of broken on some characters thanks to the free weapon DLC I got which basically lets you start with the most powerful weapons in the game. I could not use them I guess, but eh.

Just realised what getting that lone gold trophy would entail, my god. :stare: Trolled by Koei again.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Just realised what getting that lone gold trophy would entail, my god. :stare: Trolled by Koei again.

I think it only requires each stage to be played with the characters available for it in Story Mode. It's still a lot of work, but not as bad as that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope there is at least a way to track it, imagine missing 1 character somewhere

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Davincie posted:

i hope there is at least a way to track it, imagine missing 1 character somewhere

During character selection in Story Mode, the game tells you which characters you've used to clear the current stage.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's good, now i just hope you can unlock a complete list of objectives somehow without stumbling upon them. i completed the first mission i tried with all of them done and since then i always miss 1 or 2

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Maleketh posted:

During character selection in Story Mode, the game tells you which characters you've used to clear the current stage.

Guessing that means that you could just set say... Yukimura as your primary and everyone else in Takeda story mode as the secondary/vice versa.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Guessing that means that you could just set say... Yukimura as your primary and everyone else in Takeda story mode as the secondary/vice versa.

Yeah you get Cleared marks for both of them.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Has anyone tried putting their own custom images in SW4? I don't really have any on my ps3, but I'm thinking about it just so I can see Lemmy holding a lamb during my Musou

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Vincent posted:

Has anyone tried putting their own custom images in SW4? I don't really have any on my ps3, but I'm thinking about it just so I can see Lemmy holding a lamb during my Musou

I'm really tired after playing Chronicle mode for most of this afternoon but tomorrow I plan on making an icon with my personal favorite Lemmy image

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nice bulge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Finally got my hands on Samurai Warriors 4, and man, this is some really good stuff! I really like the dynamic that Hyper Attacks bring to the gameplay, and being able to switch between two characters in battle is really loving good.

Plus, gently caress yes, CAW. My favorite feature, and it's pretty indepth, too! I think I'm gonna be playing this game for a looooong time.