Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Phone posting so I can't post the pic, but the second photo in this link looks like Jorah fighting the bloke playing Areo Hotah.

http://junkee.com/game-of-thrones-season-five-just-made-a-huge-storyline-change-from-the-books/43624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's not the bloke playing Areo Hotah.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Oh right, never mind then. I thought it would be loving weird for him to be in Meereen.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm okay with the show and books diverging completely, it's just weird the show will finish before the books. It's kind of exciting though - I feel like, most of the time, reading the book first lends itself to, "well the book was WAY better :smug: " but we'll have the unique, er, advantage of knowing whether the book really is better or we side with whatever we experience first.

My predictions for Trystane Martell are that he will replace Quentyn. We know Jamie is going to Dorne, there's been possibly legit spoilers saying the opening conflict in Dorne is him catching Trystane smooching on Myrcella and flipping poo poo. I think this will be the final nail in the Dorne-rest of Westeros relationship coffin, Jamie and Myrcella (if she lives, she might die in the struggle) go off to do who knows what (maybe the Tyrion-Jamie break will happen because Jamie goes back to King's Landing for Cersei?) and Trystane becomes Quentyn to try and secure allegiance with Danerys to gently caress up the Lannisters once and for all.

I am so bummed the Greyjoys are pretty much the way of the dodo. I, too, am in the Church of our Lord and Savior "gently caress it, we'll do it live, sacrifice to all the gods" Victarion.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though thus far, I don't think we've heard of Trystane's actor filming any scenes with the Meereen cast. Personally, I think don't think anyone is going to replace Quentyn and they'll bang out another way to release the dragons.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The more I think about it, the more I want the dragons to be released by Dany loyalists after her disappearance and for the season to end in a twisted recreation of the third season's final scene. Instead of a crowd of slaves chanting Mhysa as dragons circle overhead, a crowd of freedmen screaming Mhysa as dragons burn them to death. It would retroactively make season three's underwhelming final scene worth it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

In It For The Tank posted:

The more I think about it, the more I want the dragons to be released by Dany loyalists after her disappearance and for the season to end in a twisted recreation of the third season's final scene. Instead of a crowd of slaves chanting Mhysa as dragons circle overhead, a crowd of freedmen screaming Mhysa as dragons burn them to death. It would retroactively make season three's underwhelming final scene worth it.

YES!!

Also, I started thinking about Azor Azhai last night, and I was wondering how much the prophecy specifies about Lightbringer?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
It's prevalent enough that Maester Aemon AND Salladhor Saan both know Stannis doesn't have the real deal. Basically it's the sword in the stone, only it's fire and the person who brings it forth is Azor Ahai reborn. And the name of the sword is Excalibur.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 26, 2014

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lycus posted:

Though thus far, I don't think we've heard of Trystane's actor filming any scenes with the Meereen cast. Personally, I think don't think anyone is going to replace Quentyn and they'll bang out another way to release the dragons.
There wouldn't be the time for him to get to Meereen this season, though, would it? I mean, whatever the resolution to Queenmaker is, it would not be in the first episode. I think that most of the people who say Trystane is Quentyn mean that he'd release the dragons at the beginning of next season, or that he'd serve as the intended Dany-marrying pawn in Doran's plans.

My favourite dragon-releasing version is the ridiculous one where Euron and his idiot brother sail up and snatch them from under everyone's noses, prompting a comedic chase after the dragons through several seas.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

meristem posted:

My favourite dragon-releasing version is the ridiculous one where Euron and his idiot brother sail up and snatch them from under everyone's noses, prompting a comedic chase after the dragons through several seas.

Set to Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar's theme tune.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone know where to find the goods from AWOIAF? The usual places are removing spoiler posts even though the book has been sold early in some stores.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

meristem posted:

There wouldn't be the time for him to get to Meereen this season, though, would it?

Asha Yara went all the way around the entire continent of westeros in the space of like two or three episodes to attack the dreadfort and then run away from some dogs. It takes as long to travel somewhere in the asoiaf universe as the plot demands.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The only thing the Ironborn are good at is sailing, let 'em have that one talent. Plus overland travel with only half a dozen roads on the continent during wartime is hardly speedy.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lycus posted:

I posted it earlier, but I think they'll develop the Queenmaker plot and have Trystane be the driving force behind it, having him later fulfill Aegon's role in the plot (again assuming that Aegon is a fake).

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Without Quentyn, the dragons have to get out somehow. I still think that the release of the dragons has to be done by a named character that we know already. I'd still like somebody to get roasted by the dragons, even if it's not gonna be Quentyn. But the thing is I don't think there are gonna be many new characters introduced in Meereen next year. I think that Hizdahr is going to be the extent of the Meereeneese nobility, and Dany's advisors are going to be Missandei, Barristan and Greyworm and nobody else.

The thing about letting loose the dragons, though, is that it wouldn't make sense to release them as a weapon if Yunkai attacks like in the books, because it's a siege. As a siege, literally the worst thing they could possibly do is let loose two dragons inside the walls of the city.

That means, that, to me, the dragons need to be let loose by somebody as deluded as Quentyn was. It can't be done by Barristan or somebody like that. I'm thinking, maybe Jorah could do it? If he does become part of Daenerys's retinue with Tyrion like some are suggesting, then him letting the dragons loose and getting fried might work.

Maybe I'm putting too much importance on the freeing of the dragons but to me that was one of the highlights of ADWD and a pivotal scene on par with something like Renly getting killed by a shadow or Jaime saving Brienne from the bear pit.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I wouldn't be surprised if they just have the other two break free upon Drogon's return.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Indian version of Amazon put a page for TWOW. It's probably fake but it contains a pretty detailed description that's interesting.

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sworn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany's fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final climactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
That description has been around for a while, I saw it in July. amazon.in picked it up from

http://www.bookdepository.com/Winds-Winter-George-Martin/9780002247412

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh course its fake, as if Dany's gonna go to Westeros next book.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Rannos22 posted:

Asha Yara went all the way around the entire continent of westeros in the space of like two or three episodes to attack the dreadfort and then run away from some dogs. It takes as long to travel somewhere in the asoiaf universe as the plot demands.
Six episodes, actually. Also, a. in this case, there would be a direct comparison - we know that it will take Tyrion most of the season to get to Meereen; b. based on the shooting photos, we know that Jaime is still in Dorne in 5.09.. There's stretching believability, and there's really stretching believability.

Mischitary posted:

The thing about letting loose the dragons, though, is that it wouldn't make sense to release them as a weapon if Yunkai attacks like in the books, because it's a siege. As a siege, literally the worst thing they could possibly do is let loose two dragons inside the walls of the city.
That's if we're getting the battle of Meereen on the show, though. I suppose we'll learn about that as the season unfolds.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Indian version of Amazon put a page for TWOW. It's probably fake but it contains a pretty detailed description that's interesting.

Of course it's fake. Why would a synopsis start the summary halfway? Or give away what we know would be major plot points?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rannos22 posted:

It takes as long to travel somewhere in the asoiaf universe as the plot demands.

So travelling around Westeros is like the elevators in Star Trek?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
IIRC it's mentioned in the books the Ironborn can travel across Westeros through the rivers?? Not 100% sure on it though.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
They can travel through the rivers at incredible speeds, so long as there aren't any dogs or shirtless men.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I bet the King's Moot is cut. It seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't care about.

Also, I still laugh about how pointless Yara's Wonderful Boat Adventure ended up being.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah at this point it would be hilarious if she tried to become queen. "So you sailed around the continent and ran from a dude with no armor and dogs? Really?"

Edit: At this point I don't even consider her the same character from the books. Asha would have killed Bolton or died in that castle. As much as people bitch about Bran she's the one person that has been hosed with the most.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 27, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

BillBear posted:

IIRC it's mentioned in the books the Ironborn can travel across Westeros through the rivers?? Not 100% sure on it though.

Ironborn are an obvious viking parallel and vikings were notorious for sailing up rivers that people thought were un-sailable and attacking very far inland.

meristem posted:

That's if we're getting the battle of Meereen on the show, though. I suppose we'll learn about that as the season unfolds.

Well it's true that any plot point can be cut, of course, but if there isn't a battle of Meereen in the show I don't see how it makes sense to have Dany stay there. The battle of Meereen is shaping up to be probably the hugest thing that's ever happened in Essos short of hatching dragons. Everything that has happened in Essos before the battle of Meereen has been more or less leading up to it and it definitely seems like a very nice end cap on the entire Essos storyline for the series. I'm not saying that Dany and friends are gonna be on the way to Westeros after the battle is over in TWOW, of course, but it's definitely the culmination of every Essos plot, doubly so if it also includes Daenerys basically succeeding Drogo and becoming Khaleesi of her own accord.

There are definitely a few things that are going to be changed, though. I don't think the Ironborn are going to play a part in the battle of Meereen, and I also don't think (sadly, in my opinion) that we're going to be getting much if any more Dothraki stuff, which means there won't be any Dany/Dothraki interaction, or maybe just very little. The sides will also simply be Yunkai (and maybe Astapor) against Meereen and all of the weird sellsword companies will be cut, except for maybe one or two that we already know about like the Second Sons. I think one of the main reasons they introduced Yezzan but didn't make him a fat rear end decadent weirdo was to establish an enemy for Barristan in the battle of Meereen. Tyrion will also take part, but instead of basically working behind the scenes to assure Barristan's victory he'll probably work directly with him.

Edit: They could change things up dramatically and make one of the last episodes the battle of Winterfell and have one of the first episodes of season 6 be the battle of Meereen. Like, imagine if the first episode of season 6 was the battle of Meereen. It'd be like when Joffrey died in episode 2, nobody expects the big battle to be so early.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

quote:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/we-went-there-george-r-r-martin-unveils-his-thrones-pedia-the-world-of-ice-fire-in-manhattan/

The road to The World of Ice & Fire is as winding as Martin’s story. It was originally contracted to be published in 2008. It actually arrives in stores, virtual or otherwise, on the 28th of October, 2014. “You know how that goes,” said Martin to much laughter from the audience. Along the way, as happens to all things Westeros, the story just grew and grew and grew. The plan was for Elio and Linda to come up with an outline of sorts, based on what was known from the existing books, and for George to then flesh out the details. The contract with Bantam called for some 50,ooo words. Elio and Linda sent George an outline in the neighborhood of 70,000 words. George, for his part, fleshed the thing out to the tune of 300,000 words. And you guys wonder where the sixth book is.

:mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
300k words is the same length as AFFC

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trudis posted:

It's prevalent enough that Maester Aemon AND Salladhor Saan both know Stannis doesn't have the real deal. Basically it's the sword in the stone, only it's fire and the person who brings it forth is Azor Ahai reborn. And the name of the sword is Excalibur.

And the Lady of the Lake is the merman Varys. It all comes together.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why you should all be reading the book barn thread.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ballz posted:

Wilko Johnson beat motherfuckin' TERMINAL cancer.

Fingers crossed he'll be back for season 6. He's still on a certain somebody's list. :pray:

Illyn Payne. So deadly he even kills cancer.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That sounds incredible to me. The world and lore of the books is pretty much *the* reason I love them so much. Hell, this is just about as exciting to me as a new book in the main series is.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mischitary posted:

That sounds incredible to me. The world and lore of the books is pretty much *the* reason I love them so much. Hell, this is just about as exciting to me as a new book in the main series is.

Yeah, ideally it would've been nice if he finished the series first and THEN went on to do this book, but holy poo poo, an AFFC-length book of lore? Sign me the gently caress up.

Edit:

I hate you.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 27, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Speaking of the World of Ice and Fire, based on reports it seems the book is full of world-building and history but doesn't really contain anything in the way of spoilers (except for brief summaries of events that will occur in the future Dunk and Egg books). For that reason, as soon as the book is released properly (tomorrow), discussion is fair game in this thread.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

lifts cats over head posted:

They can travel through the rivers at incredible speeds, so long as there aren't any dogs or shirtless men.

Maybe they can travel that fast only if there are dogs and shirtless men.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
You know what's going to happen. All the armies and navies of Essos are going to gather to attack Meereen, and at the last minute Dany will show up with 10,000 Dothraki and air support. After some initial crushing, they will all surrender, she will gather up all their fleets, fill them with all the captured armies, and say "We're going to Westeros!" One episode of the trip there, one episode of everybody surrendering when she shows up with dragons and all the armies and navies of Essos, and then the rest of the season she's trying to make all her vassals work together.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But when will she find the time to Jon snowplow

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

You know what's going to happen. All the armies and navies of Essos are going to gather to attack Meereen, and at the last minute Dany will show up with 10,000 Dothraki and air support. After some initial crushing, they will all surrender, she will gather up all their fleets, fill them with all the captured armies, and say "We're going to Westeros!"
I'm with you up till now, but the only correct follow up is to show one sick guy getting on to the boats with them, then 6 episodes later end the show with a text card reading "PS: Daenerys died on the way back to her home continent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4
I figure whatever purpose the Ironborn were going to serve will be taken up by Balon and Yara in the show. If they wanted to kill Balon they had the perfect opportunity last season. Instead of fighting half naked Ramsay, Yara could have quietly found Theon and told him they got word on the way there that his father is dead and he's king of the Islands now. Theon refuses, Yara knows he's 'dead', she goes back all set up for a kingsmoot. Now I imagine they'll play up conflict between her and her father instead of introducing two new uncles.

• Locked thread