Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Britain’s 'Thanksgiving Day'

Is this a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

...to mark the failure of Guy Fawkes’ plot in 1605 to blow up the Houses of Parliament and King James, the first King of Great Britain. Bonfire Night subsequently became Britain’s ‘Thanksgiving Day’.

Pretty sure Thanksgiving Day came a little later afterwards. Shouldn't that day be known as "America's Bonfire Night?"

In any case I think it should be called FawkesGate. People like -gates.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Metrication posted:

Is this a joke?

aren't you thankful that parliament didn't get blown up?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

KKKlean Energy posted:

Pretty sure Thanksgiving Day came a little later afterwards. Shouldn't that day be known as "America's Bonfire Night?"

In any case I think it should be called FawkesGate. People like -gates.

Tell America it happened because of foreign religious terrorists and they just might rename it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Cecil did 11/5.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That proves it. Eric Pickles is the result of a failed experiment to bring a tabloid to life.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I still think we're going to see a thin Labour majority, or a general "Not The Tories" coalition. The Tories *may* try and struggle on as a minority government with unionist (and *shudder* UKIP) confidence and supply if Ed manages to completely piss it down his leg; I doubt they'd have any interest in another coalition and would rather use their ability to raise funds in a hurry (and the likelihood that the economy will continue to rebound from the recession) to win a new mandate before the EU referendum.

Why wouldn't they want another coalition with the Lib Dems if that's the only real option they have? It's gone pretty well for them so far! And there are (apparently) a few rumblings within the Libs that they're aiming for a second term as 'the good guys' alongside the Tories

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

quote:

He challenged health and safety zealots and the politically correct who have tried to suppress the celebration of this British day.

This is an official government press release :psyduck:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Torysay:

quote:

Fallon told Sky News: “The Germans haven’t seen our proposals yet and we haven’t seen our proposals yet, and that’s still being worked on at the moment to see what we can do to prevent whole towns and communities being swamped by huge numbers of migrants.

“In some areas of the UK, down the east coast, towns do feel under siege, [with] large numbers of migrant workers and people claiming benefits, and it’s quite right we look at that,” he said.
Poors and immigrants are sort of like this ravenous horde you see, an enemy at the gates. Every man of sound body and will must patrol the walls to keep them at bay.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 27, 2014

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Noxville posted:

You forgot the municipal killjoys.

Fuckin' municipal killjoys. Regular party poopers, they are.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
So you don't even have to make up stories about 'elf and safety gone mad any more, just say you're against them doing something and let the implication do the work.

I'm against PC idiots wanting to rename Friday! Who's with me?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Municipal Killjoy. I want that job title.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

KKKlean Energy posted:

Municipal Killjoy. I want that job title.

What's your opinion on fireworks and racial slurs?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Noxville posted:

Reminder that Eric Pickles can now effectively control what local authorities are allowed to put out in their press releases, if he considers it problematic or critical of central government. Ministry of Localism, everyone

Also I don't know who this guy is (some NFL player) but welp:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Shelf Adventure posted:

What's your opinion on fireworks and racial slurs?

Fireworks might offend Muslims and someone could easily slip on a racial slur. They should be banned.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Why wouldn't they want another coalition with the Lib Dems if that's the only real option they have? It's gone pretty well for them so far! And there are (apparently) a few rumblings within the Libs that they're aiming for a second term as 'the good guys' alongside the Tories

If the Lib Dems are in a position of coronating either of the parties then they probably find themselves more policy matched with the Tories than Labour. If they go with the Tories then Clegg will probably get to stay as leader.

The Tories certainly won't fanny around pretending to offer them constitutional change this time though.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 27, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

twoot posted:

The Tories certainly won't fanny about pretending to offer them constitutional change this time though.

no the lib dems will bargain hard and ensure that they get a good package of constitutional reforms in exchange for an eu membership referendum. they are a party of stern will and unbending principle.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Which makes the whole bill completely pointless, of course, because all a majority government has to do to call an election (even if they can't be bothered to repeal the Bill for whatever reason) is vote against their own confidence or supply vote and bang, snap election.

As I said at the time it was passed, it's a ridiculous (and failed) attempt at major constitutional reform simply to address the single edge case of the 2010 election.

I don't get this criticism of the FTPA. Yes, it's a pointless act if you have a single-party majority in the House of Commons. But it was brought in precisely to address the edge case of the 2010 election. I don't see how it can be considered a failure, because it seems to have achieved exactly what it was designed to achieve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Metrication posted:

Is this a joke?
Britain's 'Thanksgiving Day' is on the Sunday of the Harvest Moon (the full moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox). It's the basis for Canada's and America's, and is celebrated by bringing food into church which is redistributed to the poor in the community.

It was later renamed to Harvest Festival and nobody ever goes any more because it sounds like communism or something.

(I also wouldn't have a problem with bringing it back, because it's a good thing and a holiday that isn't based around large meals, poo poo TV, and furniture sales, and it's a nice half-year offset from Easter.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Harvest Festival at school was the worst. A long trudge to church to look at some wheat and tins of beans that was a mockery of the proper fun things like Christmas that were still months away.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

no the lib dems will bargain hard and ensure that they get a good package of constitutional reforms in exchange for an eu membership referendum. they are a party of stern will and unbending principle.

A morning, 2017: "excellent news party faithful [seven old men and a much decomposed corpse sit, pensively], we've received Lord's Reform for only requiring the EU referendum to need 35% to pass, such a success for the Lib Dems!" :smithicide:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LemonDrizzle posted:

Torysay:

quote:

Fallon told Sky News: “The Germans haven’t seen our proposals yet and we haven’t seen our proposals yet, and that’s still being worked on at the moment to see what we can do to prevent whole towns and communities being swamped by huge numbers of migrants.

“In some areas of the UK, down the east coast, towns do feel under siege, [with] large numbers of migrant workers and people claiming benefits, and it’s quite right we look at that,” he said.
Poors and immigrants are sort of like this ravenous horde you see, an enemy at the gates. Every man of sound body and will must patrol the walls to keep them at bay.

Hang on it's alright, he issued a correction:

quote:

Fallon’s use of the term “swamped” on Sunday morning was withdrawn hours later by No 10 sources, who said he should have said “under pressure”. There was no attempt to withdraw the phrase “under siege”.

Well that's alright then

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Acaila posted:

Kezia Dugdale

This has nowt to do with owt but I honestly didn't think anyone else had my fiancée's mum's first name.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Who has ever tried to ban bonfire night?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Crane Fist posted:

Hang on it's alright, he issued a correction:

Well that's alright then

I for one am sick of all these trebuchets hurling wailing Romanians into my workplace!

Is it still Romanians? I haven't been keeping up with Immagreddon news.

Anyone know of any good wikileaks style sites for the UK? I've been reading their UK stuff but it all seems to be a few years old at least. Some worrying stuff on there, especially about the sheer number of D-notices given to papers per year. One of which I found out was the fact that we've been dumping nuclear waste all over Africa, which I didn't know I wasn't supposed to know already and that Afghanistan is not going all that well, ditto.

e: Or alternately foreign-published news about the UK so they don't have to worry about superinjuctions.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think you'll ever see another National Government-type deal because (despite the lack of meaningful differences) the modern parties define themselves far more in an oppositional stance to each other. I suppose there are a couple of incredibly tight results that might possibly make such a thing possible but you've got to talk about absolute wipeout (i.e. loss of more than 150 seats) for one or both of them for them to even consider it, and absent something earth-shattering happening that's just not on the cards.

The Lib Dems would strip Nick Clegg and paint his arse neon pink for even a hint at a second chance of power, especially after the battering they're going to take at the polls in 2015. They will take literally any crumbs either side are willing to throw them, and even if they do lose half their seats that's still something that might make or break a coalition.

The various Unionist and Nationalist parties might also find themselves in a position of power, and that's not even talking about the horrifying possibility of Farage getting enough seats for a place at the table.

The Lib Dem Conference, constitutionally, has to ratify any coalition agreement by a two-thirds majority. Lib Dem members are fiercely proud of their internal democracy and they would vote down anything that looked like outside interference. The Lib Dem membership also don't really want another coalition with the Tories, especially one that includes the DUP or UKIP.

I strongly doubt Labour would have any time for the SNP, given they haven't for the last forty years and they're going even more hardline on their "we will not support SNP motions" policy. I mean, hell, I think Labour's in more council coalitions with the Tories than the SNP. The SNP in turn will demand a heavy price for even supply and confidence – most likely scrapping Trident at the very least.

If you asked me three months ago what was the most likely situation, I would've said a Labour minority government or a Lib/Lab coalition. But due to Scottish Labour imploding and the SNP's rise, I honestly can't see Labour getting enough seats to sustain even minority government. I'm hedging my bets on Labour doing anything to get into government next year and avoiding another election, even if it means a deal with a devil.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 27, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Tory-UKIP coalition would be pretty drat awful, although I can't help but feel it would just be a more on-message version of what we've currently got. I don't think that could happen really, unless the Tories were backed into a corner by a Labour-Libdem coalition.

They've spent so long calling them nutcases it'd be too embarassing and the opposition could just sit back and list off the names of Nazis on the benches.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

They've spent so long calling them nutcases it'd be too embarassing and the opposition could just sit back and list off the names of Nazis on the benches.

The problem with Labour calling people names in Parliament is that since most Labour policies are just diet versions of Tory policies, the Tories can call names back.
And they're better at it.

This wouldn't be as big a problem if there was daylight between Tory and Labour policies (then we'd just get to hear variations on 'Commie', 'Pinko' etc) but that's not going to happen any time soon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Whitefish posted:

I don't get this criticism of the FTPA. Yes, it's a pointless act if you have a single-party majority in the House of Commons. But it was brought in precisely to address the edge case of the 2010 election. I don't see how it can be considered a failure, because it seems to have achieved exactly what it was designed to achieve.

Exactly who is it supposed to be protecting, and from what, though? The originally-proposed Bill would have specifically protected the Tories from the Lib Dems withdrawing confidence but would have left us in a completely untenable position of a minority government trying to govern without the confidence of the House, so it was watered down to the current position where it basically says "Parliament will last 5 years, unless it doesn't". It doesn't actually address the one edge case it was supposed to (and in fact leaves te Tories in a slightly worse position.

baka kaba posted:

That's why I specified "Whoever offers them anything" - they're as likely to take a deal from the Tories as from Labour, I just see it more likely that Lab/Lib Dem would be able to make the cut than Con/Lib Dem after the next election.

TinTower posted:

The Lib Dem Conference, constitutionally, has to ratify any coalition agreement by a two-thirds majority. Lib Dem members are fiercely proud of their internal democracy and they would vote down anything that looked like outside interference. The Lib Dem membership also don't really want another coalition with the Tories, especially one that includes the DUP or UKIP.

I strongly doubt Labour would have any time for the SNP, given they haven't for the last forty years and they're going even more hardline on their "we will not support SNP motions" policy. I mean, hell, I think Labour's in more council coalitions with the Tories than the SNP. The SNP in turn will demand a heavy price for even supply and confidence – most likely scrapping Trident at the very least.

If you asked me three months ago what was the most likely situation, I would've said a Labour minority government or a Lib/Lab coalition. But due to Scottish Labour imploding and the SNP's rise, I honestly can't see Labour getting enough seats to sustain even minority government. I'm hedging my bets on Labour doing anything to get into government next year and avoiding another election, even if it means a deal with a devil.

I don't think I mentioned the SNP as a potential Labour coalition party other than in the extreme "Not the Tories" coalition scenario (which is what we could have ended up with in 2010, without the SNP). I stick by my main point - that you won't see a National Government type scenario (where the two largest parties enter a coalition) absent a massive seismic shift (figurative or literal) in the UK.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Lady Gaza posted:

Yeah, but, you can't even sing baa baa black sheep any more.*

*Source: my mother, repeatedly, even after being disproven

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Britain's 'Thanksgiving Day' is on the Sunday of the Harvest Moon (the full moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox). It's the basis for Canada's and America's, and is celebrated by bringing food into church which is redistributed to the poor in the community.

It was later renamed to Harvest Festival and nobody ever goes any more because it sounds like communism or something.

(I also wouldn't have a problem with bringing it back, because it's a good thing and a holiday that isn't based around large meals, poo poo TV, and furniture sales, and it's a nice half-year offset from Easter.)

Personally I don't go because I don't go to church at all any more. :shrug:

e/ also making a big song and dance of taking the crap you don't want down to the food bank always did seem like the second worst kind of charity (i.e. the kind you do once in a blue moon to stave off the nagging feeling that you're not helping). I'm aware this is horribly cynical, but gently caress it.

LemonDrizzle posted:

aren't you thankful that parliament didn't get blown up?

Nice try copper, I'm not about to incriminate myself with the obvious response to this equally obvious bait.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 27, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Lady Gaza posted:

'Elf and safety often closes down individual events, usually for good reason. I've never heard of someone trying to ban the event itself though...

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Bonfire night is a pain in the arse though, fireworks terrify pets and babies and ragamuffins see it as a day they can go round setting fire to stuff with impunity. The saving grace is that it's in the soggy period of the year, so when they set fire to the hill behind the school it doesn't get a chance to spread too far before the fire engines get there.

Edit: We're not very good at fireworks up here though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QtigLJD_4

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 27, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anarchists lionising a man who tried to install a Catholic theocracy is just as hilarious as people showing their loyalty to Britain by marching under the banner of a Dutch autocrat who enlisted the help of the French to depose the rightful king.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Alas, this is circular. If the harvest festival ever became popular it would be instantly colonised by large meals, poo poo TV and furniture sales.

We do need a proper late-autumn holiday, though. The period between the August bank holiday and Christmas is one grim, depressing slog (though this year has been OK so far thanks to all the sunshine).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Lady Gaza posted:

The only thing along these lines I've ever heard of is an annual event in a little Devon town called Ottery St Mary where they get big honking barrels of tar, light them on fire and then run through the crowded streets carrying them on their backs. They've had trouble getting insurance for a few years now.

Having said that it's great fun and you should go if you're in the area on bonfire night.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Zephro posted:

The only thing along these lines I've ever heard of is an annual event in a little Devon town called Ottery St Mary where they get big honking barrels of tar, light them on fire and then run through the crowded streets carrying them on their backs. They've had trouble getting insurance for a few years now.

Having said that it's great fun and you should go if you're in the area on bonfire night.

To be fair, tar barrels is loving stupid! It may be a tradition, but it's about in par with Jack rear end levels of 'LOL fire'.

Pickle's Bon Fire Night thing though? It's an easy win for him. The Mail get to praise him for it, he doesn't actually have to do anything because the 'problem' isn't real.

Edit: remember that badly planned bonfire at a rugby club, whose smoke caused a massive pile up on the M5 where multiple people died? Yeah, gently caress 'elf and safety!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 27, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, most of the "Health and Safety gone mad" stuff is actually "we couldn't get insurance" when you read the small print.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

EvilGenius posted:

To be fair, tar barrels is loving stupid! It may be a tradition, but it's about in par with Jack rear end levels of 'LOL fire'.
I think you mean "loving awesome" :colbert:

Any event which has a guy called Paraffin Man wandering around making sure the fire doesn't go out is a good event in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Anarchists lionising a man who tried to install a Catholic theocracy is just as hilarious as people showing their loyalty to Britain by marching under the banner of a Dutch autocrat who enlisted the help of the French to depose the rightful king.
We should combine the two and set fire to the rightful king every year.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Personally I don't go because I don't go to church at all any more. :shrug:

e/ also making a big song and dance of taking the crap you don't want down to the food bank always did seem like the second worst kind of charity (i.e. the kind you do once in a blue moon to stave off the nagging feeling that you're not helping). I'm aware this is horribly cynical, but gently caress it.
I'm sure if Harvest Thanksgiving did resurge in popularity it would be as much a church holiday as Christmas and Easter are now, and most people would do whatever customs involved in a secular way. As Zephro said though, that means it would probably turn into the same as the other holidays with some gimmicks and its own set of greeting cards.
Maybe it would be more community focused instead of individual/family focused, but I don't know. As long as it's not more of Big Dave's Big Society.

• Locked thread