Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

So.. bitched about the 9am store meeting. Came home, was about to fall back asleep.

Phone rings.

It's my old GM. Asks if I want hours at his new store. I say sure.

Turns out the delivery area is far denser, and tips are just as good, if not better, than at my usual store. $40 off of 8 deliveries, less than a 1/4 tank of gas (to get there, deliver, and get back home), 10 minutes away instead of 40, people actually do their job, and.. it's directly across the street from my favorite restaurant.

That menu looks delicious. My mouth is watering looking at the Fat Freds and....the Liberty Bell....I don't think I'd ever try it but I'd be lying if I wasn't at least curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

You can change the search box in IE to Google but it doesn't change Cortana or provide predictive results, which I've come to realize i lean on a lot more than I realized. It's really just giving you the desktop search results page for google.com and you can't load a map or anything if you need to.

Ah that's too bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno, what did you do this time?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, almost lost the car (and/or my life today) to a bunch of drunk people. After this video ends, I confronted the three people in the car about it at a gas station (two hispanic women, one very very fat hispanic guy). They were apologetic at first, but the moment I said "are you drunk? I smell alcohol." all three of them nearly dove into the Explorer and loving bolted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFToEn4IZs

For the record, I was going 35-39 in a 40 zone, and they were stopped in a left-turn-only lane on the other side of the light rail.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Today is my normal day off.

I'm thinking about calling my former GM and asking if he has any hours to spare. I'm still $100 short on my car payment (which was due a couple of days ago) and $60 short on my phone bill (it gets shut off Tuesday, but I'm switching to MetroPCS from T-Mobile, and the SIM card should be here Tuesday) but Metro is basically T-Mobile with lower rates these days). I made $40 at his store in 3.5 hours last night, I'm hoping I can make a bit more if he can spare the labor hours.

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, almost lost the car (and/or my life today) to a bunch of drunk people. After this video ends, I confronted the three people in the car about it at a gas station (two hispanic women, one very very fat hispanic guy). They were apologetic at first, but the moment I said "are you drunk? I smell alcohol." all three of them nearly dove into the Explorer and loving bolted.

I would have called the cops and followed at a (safe) distance until they showed up. Goddamn, you just barely missed them too.

I confronted someone day before yesterday - black SUV, dark road, no lights. I started to pull out, then saw the reflection against their license plate. When she parked (in front of my store, no less) I asked her how she could see without headlights. She gave a :confused: look until I told her "I'm the guy who started to pull out in front of you and laid on the horn as you went by - you're in a black car, driving with no lights whatsoever, on a road with few street lights". The "oh poo poo" on her face made it worth it. How the gently caress do you manage to drive what I assume to be several miles on poorly lit roads without realizing you don't have a single light on?

I finally got off my rear end and put my dash cam back in the car - I pulled it out a few days ago to pull video off when a Time Warner Cable van ran me off the road (paved median, but I kissed the jersey barrier with my tires) (I was laying on the horn the whole time, and watched him flip me off in the mirror). Then cussed me out when I pulled up next to him and asked "don't you ever check your loving mirrors?". I had a good long chat with the contractor he works for, and sent them a copy of the video.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 27, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I would have called the cops and followed at a (safe) distance until they showed up. Goddamn, you just barely missed them too.

I called the cops, gave complete descriptions of all three, the vehicle, what happened, and their direction of travel. I know the dispatcher (working in EMS has its perks, on occasion) and she got everything down. Nothing'll probably come of it, but I tried.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While my own car is in for a supplemental anti-rust treatment, I'm driving one of these babies:

A Peugeot 107 powered by 1.0L 3-cylinder sewing machine with a massive 68HP. It's obviously slow as hell, and you can definitely tell that it's a super-cheap little car, but man that engine is fun. It revs nicely and it has this really pleasing rasp to it. It's been described as sounding like half of a Porsche flat-6, and I tend to agree. It's also a lot smoother than I would have expected.

Plus, since it's so slow, you can rev it out in 1st and 2nd and still only be doing ~70kph.

3-cylinder small cars are flippin' awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think this is the last 3 cylinder car we got in the US. And it could still be optioned with a 4 cylinder.

You were part of the crumple zones on them, but they got over 50 mpg... in the early 90s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just had a dream where the fuel pump broke in my GTI and i had to call around pricing replacements. What does this mean AI?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It wasn't a dream.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have officially had it with Facebook. I'm 31 and I don't need to deal with electronic retards starting poo poo.

Its snap chat and text for now!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I am getting trolled by a lumber company. 84 Lumber has been jerking me around about getting poplar plywood sheets for a week now. One of their service guys straight up lied to me and another one referred me to their "Mechanicsville location", which is just a street called Lumber of which 84 is an address.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man everything in the ceiling of this factory is coated in about a half inch of this black oily dust. I am covered in so much grime I look like Al Jolson.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I think this is the last 3 cylinder car we got in the US. And it could still be optioned with a 4 cylinder.
The American consumer has quite a few choices for 3-cylinder engines now:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The last one has 3-lug wheels, too! :P

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

KozmoNaut posted:

While my own car is in for a supplemental anti-rust treatment, I'm driving one of these babies:

A Peugeot 107 powered by 1.0L 3-cylinder sewing machine with a massive 68HP. It's obviously slow as hell, and you can definitely tell that it's a super-cheap little car, but man that engine is fun. It revs nicely and it has this really pleasing rasp to it. It's been described as sounding like half of a Porsche flat-6, and I tend to agree. It's also a lot smoother than I would have expected.

Plus, since it's so slow, you can rev it out in 1st and 2nd and still only be doing ~70kph.

3-cylinder small cars are flippin' awesome.

I drive a slightly older one of those with the really creepy grin.

The 0-30mph is pretty good but then the push to 60+ takes forever. (That said there is someone else on my work route that has one and is able to burn me up and I don't know how)

e:

freelop fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 27, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

I just had a dream where the fuel pump broke in my GTI and i had to call around pricing replacements. What does this mean AI?

The struggle is real.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Speaking of slow cars, I saw a nicely restored ACVW get on I495 in Dracut yesterday, going up a tight uphill ramp. Into 75-80mph traffic.

I'm not sure how the driver managed to fit his balls in that car.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

I am getting trolled by a lumber company. 84 Lumber has been jerking me around about getting poplar plywood sheets for a week now. One of their service guys straight up lied to me and another one referred me to their "Mechanicsville location", which is just a street called Lumber of which 84 is an address.

Please don't come to Saratoga and crash my cars.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Mechanicsville, VA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The American consumer has quite a few choices for 3-cylinder engines now:
F9TkbWo.png[/timg]

Except we didn't get the GOOD engine for the Smart: The three cylinder Turbodiesel

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I shaved off all my facial hair for my Halloween costume and it feels so weird

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adiabatic posted:

Mechanicsville, VA.

I think that's in the middle of loving nowhere right next to Rustburg, right? I only know it because it's on the way to Wintergreen. :kimchi:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Except we didn't get the GOOD engine for the Smart: The three cylinder Turbodiesel

I live in Canada, where we got that engine (and the Brabus Smart turbo gas engine as well). There is no good engine for the Smart Fortwo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Phone posted:

I think that's in the middle of loving nowhere right next to Rustburg, right? I only know it because it's on the way to Wintergreen. :kimchi:

Nah it's a suburb of Richmond. In other news I now know there's a place called Rustburg, VA. Maybe Sockington needs a winter retreat?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

If you come up to Wintergreen this winter let me know, we can grab some beers at one of the awesome breweries at the base of the mountain. Hell depending on which way you take up you'll almost drive right past my house.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would say it's not fair you live so close to Devils Backbone, but we have Hardywood and Legends so :smugdog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The guy accepted our offer! The house is as good as ours. :bubblewoop:

Now to be poor for the next 30 years.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Congrats dude!

Don't let BFC get to you. Owning a house is awesome.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

As part of my physical rehab, it was suggested that I get a recumbent bike. Managed to snag one at an auction over the weekend- almost literally for pennies. The Exslower is starting to earn itself a place in the drive. Those seats aren't SAAB-worthy, but they are comfy. :3: Also, got a couple 'so cheap might as well' toys.

Stupid Nexus doesn't like how dark it is in here. AM/FM/8 track console. Speakers are/were mine. Came with a VCR, a DVD/VCR combo, two CRT TVs that I didn't have to take (thankfully), and a ton of pointless and worthless electronics like a 900Mhz wireless headphone set, and that phonemate answering machine in the lower left. Two bucks for the lot.

Be thankful I've decided not to share the ablation photos.

CommieGIR posted:

Congratulations on making the biggest mistake of your life (since that tranny in Thailand). :iamafag::hf::iamafag: Home owners unite!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Congratulations! Now get that fucker inspected if you haven't already, and you better have your own real estate attorney to go over the paperwork, not the one your bank and/or the seller use.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The oneplus one site is already down.

Why did I even bother?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Congratulations! Now get that fucker inspected if you haven't already, and you better have your own real estate attorney to go over the paperwork, not the one your bank and/or the seller use.

It already passed a private inspector, who was actually at a loss of anything major to find, outside of some outlets not having covers or the wrong cover.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The 1+1 idiots provide more entertainment that they do phones

I'm eating Mac and cheese with Sriracha and god drat is it good 😎

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

I would say it's not fair you live so close to Devils Backbone, but we have Hardywood and Legends so :smugdog:

There's also the Wild Wolf Brewing Co. (my personal favorite), Blue Mountain, and Bold Rock Cider, and there's also a vodka distillery being built. All of these (including DB) are located on the same road, Rt. 151 through Nelson, 15 minutes from my house. poo poo owns.

Congratulations on the house purchase, CommieGIR!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

It already passed a private inspector, who was actually at a loss of anything major to find, outside of some outlets not having covers or the wrong cover.

Thats the best god drat feeling. When I did mine, hes like well, there's a couple of minor things like this outlet isnt a GCFI (which was easy to repair) and the furnace filters are dirty. Yes, he said that was the only 2 issues he really found with the house. And I hired him myself, and I looked up reviews on him. Contractors hated him because he found every little fault possible.

Viggen posted:

As part of my physical rehab, it was suggested that I get a recumbent bike. Managed to snag one at an auction over the weekend- almost literally for pennies. The Exslower is starting to earn itself a place in the drive. Those seats aren't SAAB-worthy, but they are comfy. :3: Also, got a couple 'so cheap might as well' toys.

Stupid Nexus doesn't like how dark it is in here. AM/FM/8 track console.

A: Exploders do have pretty comfortable seats. Plus you'll find that American SUVs can take some abuse and neglect and truck along like nothings wrong.

B: 2 bucks for that console? Score. I have some CCR and Rolling Stones 8 tracks in a box some where. If I find them I'll ship them to you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Wow. That's sorta impressive.

Still, I can't harp on the attorney thing enough. I would have paid $38k for a worthless piece of paper if I hadn't had one - he found a glaringly obvious issue with the deed that no one else was going to tell me about that would have made it basically impossible to ever get a mortgage on, ever, and would have left me open to the previous owners trying to get the foreclosure overturned and their house back. It's absolutely critical that you have your own GOOD real estate attorney, especially after the subprime mortgage disaster and MERS (Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Wow. That's sorta impressive.

Still, I can't harp on the attorney thing enough. I would have paid $38k for a worthless piece of paper if I hadn't had one - he found a glaringly obvious issue with the deed that no one else was going to tell me about that would have made it basically impossible to ever get a mortgage on, ever, and would have left me open to the previous owners trying to get the foreclosure overturned and their house back. It's absolutely critical that you have your own GOOD real estate attorney, especially after the subprime mortgage disaster and MERS (Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems.)

I will certainly do that, thanks Kastein.

I also had an electrical contractor come through and check the wiring as I am adding another 230v outlet in the garage and the basement, and seeing about the possibility of getting 3 phase 208 (we're right down the road from a substation, so we're hopeful).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Would anyone be interested in a Chump build out thread/general "this is what's going on in Phone's life" thread? The Miata is on the back burner because I don't particularly want to blow like another 10k on it (whenever the current motor gives up the ghost, I'm K swapping it, but that's a bit far out).

Terrible Robot posted:

If you come up to Wintergreen this winter let me know, we can grab some beers at one of the awesome breweries at the base of the mountain. Hell depending on which way you take up you'll almost drive right past my house.

I don't think I went last year, but I think I go up 501 through South Boston, Rustburg (stop for Hardee's), and up 29.

I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'd subscribe to it.

Do you live in the Triangle?

• Locked thread