Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

MikeJF posted:

They may need to speedboat jump out of there.

Aw yiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Finally someone points out the obvious. I'm expecting the gooniest possible response from the ship.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

This is just asking for a 'not sure if' style caption.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hold! What you are doing is wrong! Why do you do this thing?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I wonder if that building is based on something.
That little point at the top is pretty distinct, though it's otherwise pretty normal looking. Besides the giant hairdo, anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

M.c.P posted:

I wonder if that building is based on something.
That little point at the top is pretty distinct, though it's otherwise pretty normal looking. Besides the giant hairdo, anyway.

If it were based on a real building, I'd expect it to be the ugliest, most nightmarish building in all Birmingham. And it's not the Bullring's cancerous growth known as Selfridges.

Seriously, look at this scaly cyclops with a trunk. Is it not worse than anything Giger could have designed? Will it not deny you sleep until you've drowned memory of this dreadful vision in enough alcohol?

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 27, 2014

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Cat Mattress posted:

If it were based on a real building, I'd expect it to be the ugliest, most nightmarish building in all Birmingham. And it's not the Bullring's cancerous growth known as Selfridges.

Seriously, look at this scaly cyclops with a trunk. Is it not worse than anything Giger could have designed? Will it not deny you sleep until you've drowned memory of this dreadful vision in enough alcohol?

Wow, that is grotesque. It's like someone went out of their way to make it as ugly as possible. What's with all those metal plates? I bet that thing gets hot during the day. And blinding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wikipedia posted:

RIBA Award for Architecture 2004
Concrete Society Awards, Overall Winner 2004
Structural Steel Awards 2004
Royal Fine Art Commission Trust, Retail Innovation 2004
Institution of Civil Engineers, Project Award Winner 2004
Civic Trust Award 2004
Retail Week Awards, Retail Destination of the Year 2004

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

Fun City has nothing on this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's not nightmarish so much as it looks impossibly stupid

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think that's one of the buildings from the windows 7 architecture background set.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buildings with metal outer walls were/are still a thing. A thing that directs heat and light at next door buildings because gently caress being a good neighbor.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

SynthOrange posted:

Hold! What you are doing is wrong! Why do you do this thing?

Wouldn't look out of place in Fun City!

I think this building has been telling lies.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Tollymain posted:

that's not nightmarish so much as it looks impossibly stupid

Imagine seeing that at night though. :ohdear:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Zimmy's gone corporate.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Next page is just the ship going 'oh, terribly sorry!' and then *bip* they're all back to normal. There's a big dance off, Zimmy inexplicably wins, cue chapter end symbol.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BobTheJanitor posted:

Next page is just the ship going 'oh, terribly sorry!' and then *bip* they're all back to normal. There's a big dance off, Zimmy inexplicably wins, cue chapter end symbol.

I still hope the day to be saved by spontaneous break-dancing.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know what you all are talking about, this building is super cool. What is it, a mall or something?

I wanna walk in that elephant's trunk. :3:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fffff posted:

I don't know what you all are talking about, this building is super cool. What is it, a mall or something?

I wanna walk in that elephant's trunk. :3:

Yeah it's the Birmingham Selfridges. The worst part of this building is how jarring it looks next to the old-timey church of St Martin.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RandomPauI posted:

Buildings with metal outer walls were/are still a thing. A thing that directs heat and light at next door buildings because gently caress being a good neighbor.

Yeah. See the BOK center in Tulsa, OK. Opened in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Center

In the late afternoon, the building's shine is blinding. There's a highway just west of the place, and passing the BOK center at the wrong time of day is painful to the eyes.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah it's the Birmingham Selfridges. The worst part of this building is how jarring it looks next to the old-timey church of St Martin.

You mean I can walk in an elephant and LOOK AT A NICE CHURCH at the same time?

If I had money, I would vacation in Birmingham because that sounds like a great old time.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's just a cartoony cyclops ghost barfing. Or a very fat tentacle from day of the tentacle, also barfing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fffff posted:

If I had money, I would vacation in Birmingham because that sounds like a great old time.

Quoting this because it's probably the funniest/stupidest thing I've read in quite some time

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Quoting this because it's probably the funniest/stupidest thing I've read in quite some time

If they have elephants I can walk in... :buddy:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I have :downs: Like, twice. Yay for games conventions at the NEC!

It wasn't that bad, there's a really nice little cafe/coffee shop next to the train station where you can sit in the basement for 4 hours and they don't care and... The whole airport/train station all-in-one thing is quite nice? I guess? It was a cheap week away with friends I don't get to meet otherwise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure the actual Birmingham isn't full of Nobodies and ethereal hellspiders, at least.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cat Mattress posted:

I still hope the day to be saved by spontaneous break-dancing.

If you put a no breakdancing sign on the mantle in act 1, somebody has to breakdance by the end of act 3.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

fffff posted:

If they have elephants I can walk in... :buddy:

Well you could visit the scenic and nearby city of Coventry if you want to do that:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual Birmingham isn't full of Nobodies and ethereal hellspiders, at least.

May as well be.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JT Jag posted:

Maybe the one in England, not so sure about the one in Alabama...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blasmeister posted:

Well you could visit the scenic and nearby city of Coventry if you want to do that:

The real reason why Churchull didn't interfere with the bombing, I see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fucknag posted:

Maybe the one in England, not so sure about the one in Alabama...
I have been to the one in Alabama a few times and can confirm there are no hellspiders.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So what were getting at here is that Art Buildings are terrible.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Opposing Farce posted:

If you put a no breakdancing sign on the mantle in act 1, somebody has to breakdance by the end of act 3.

Chekhov's Breakdancing Contest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why Cheesoid exist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzzOw2tmb3A&t=176s

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

eriktown posted:

The real reason why Churchull didn't interfere with the bombing, I see.

Come friendly bombs and rain on Coventry, and Birmingham, and Slough if needs be.

Actually that poem is surprisingly appropriate now I look it up.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

JT Jag posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same "actual Birmingham" here.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

fffff posted:

I'm actually going to be visiting Birmingham in about two weeks, so I can tell you how it is! I'll be sure to visit the elephant.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I was in Birmingham at the weekend (and have been there many time) and it looks a lot better in person. Coventry though...

They have the occasional nice buildings:

But then they go and do this to them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

team overhead smash posted:

I was in Birmingham at the weekend (and have been there many time) and it looks a lot better in person. Coventry though...

They have the occasional nice buildings:

But then they go and do this to them:

That's almost worse than my towns art building.