Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have one of these. Or at least my dad does and wants to sell it. Open your wallets goons!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why is the one string red?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Heath posted:

Why is the one string red?

Paul is dead.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

And we played an original) and places like The Lighthouse at Elon College and The Depot in GSO. We also went up north and played a few fun gigs in Charlottesville. We rarely went south.

oh drat i remember the lighthouse, total shithole with a five foot deep stage in the corner with no heating or cooling. iirc the school bought the place after the owner got busted with a bunch of coke about 10 years back

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

oh drat i remember the lighthouse, total shithole with a five foot deep stage in the corner with no heating or cooling. iirc the school bought the place after the owner got busted with a bunch of coke about 10 years back
When I played there the place was cooled/heated correctly and the stage was big enough for all our gear; no way it was five feet deep.
Can't say anything about it after the last time we played there, though.

I have a DVD we made there. It's good memories.

I'd have to check the DVD, but I think it's just a little more than ten years since we played there.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

When I played there the place was cooled/heated correctly and the stage was big enough for all our gear; no way it was five feet deep.
Can't say anything about it after the last time we played there, though.

I have a DVD we made there. It's good memories.

I'd have to check the DVD, but I think it's just a little more than ten years since we played there.

post the video

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Dr. Faustus and Comes along bort have a somewhat similar avatar that I sometimes get mixed about who is who between them. My eternal apologies Comes along bort.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

AchtungBaby posted:

Dr. Faustus and Comes along bort have a somewhat similar avatar that I sometimes get mixed about who is who between them. My eternal apologies Comes along bort.

Yeah, bort you should probably change your av.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the beatles: 40 years on

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Clitch posted:

Paul is dead.

yeah see it's the third string from the left and paul's name is the third alphabetically, it's incredible how blatant they are about it

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
We've all seen the surfboard guitar, but what about a snowboard guitar?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

umalt posted:

We've all seen the surfboard guitar, but what about a snowboard guitar?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AchtungBaby posted:

that's alright

i think it's easy to tell our posts apart because i'm fairly ambivalent about ibanez and 80s buttrock on the whole

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i think it's pretty telling despite dr.faustus having 8 pages of posts in a 239 page thread, i've only noticed him in the last 5

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can't mention Richard Christy, Jason Suecof, or Ripper Owens in GBS without posting Crotchduster. Sure they used a drum machine for the album Big Fat Box of poo poo and claimed it was the dog Cain but they were all in the short lived live lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gvfcnjPnE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
well yeah there's richard christy's dusseldorfian beer festival but i figured that was too deep a cut

*rips into fletch theme cover*

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

ultra loving lol at everything Dr Faustus has said

100% reinforces my decades-long held "if anyone likes literally anything Vai or Satriani has ever done you should immediately disregard everything they think about music" stance

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
have steven seagal and bruce willis ever teamed up to form the greatest blues duo known to mankind?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

i never noticed until now that his picking technique looks like one of those stock photos of a person playing guitar

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

have steven seagal and bruce willis ever teamed up to form the greatest blues duo known to mankind?

Not sure the world could take that much powerful soulful blues.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

They are all copying off the Big S technique.

Honestly, I think overweight The Edge Seagal is my favourite.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

They are all copying off the Big S technique.

Honestly, I think overweight The Edge Seagal is my favourite.

that is one magnificent bloatee

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Dr. Faustus posted:

That was a "big ol' post? But I said,

Did you mean "Death," or some other band? Because I totally mentioned CWoTD right above you. Forgive me for not posting his discography, please.

No, I left my Progressive Rock and Blues band bros up in the RTP area when I moved down here the first time.
I wasn't in a band so I went to a club called Maydays on Central Ave, right near my apartment, and played a lot of blues with people who didn't know the tunes. It was still fun. I even used my RG770DX and got great blues tunes out of it using the provided Boogie.

After I moved down here, I never got the chance to play the "stuff I dig and talk about performing" here. By then it was not the mid 90's but the very late 90's; and although I tried to put a band together the whole grunge thing meant that most people I met couldn't play. No tempo, no tone, no feel, no riffs. I was there, I knew that the Seattle scene had changed everything and by then we were right on the cusp of new Hip-Hop, so live performers were not really necessary anymore. I could have played blues, because I love Robben Ford and Robert Cray and SRV and some of the lesser-known guys; but I couldn't find a tight group to play with so I gave up. Around 1999 I realized I could do most of it myself on my PC.

I don't know what happened to the RTP scene after I moved. Back in the day we played clubs you might remember well like Snookers, The Switch, The Berkely Cafe, that dump Showtime (oops, that was my first gig ever when it was called "Stonewalls." Not Showtime. I'll never forget the drunk dude stumbling up to the stage and waving for my attention, at my first like gig ever, saying, in a drunken slur, "Play some Iggy, if y'all can play Rush y'all can play Iggy!" So I said into the mic, ok, Iggy coming up! And we played an original) and places like The Lighthouse at Elon College and The Depot in GSO. We also went up north and played a few fun gigs in Charlottesville. We rarely went south.

The stuff we dug just wasn't hip anymore and that's part of the reason I moved away for a better job.
Interestingly, if my experiences here in Charlotte playing out are any indication; there are audiences for that music again. We'll see, because we want to form a new band and give it a shot.

E: typos

lol dude grunge has more feel than any shredder has ever felt in their life

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
dr faustus what is your opinion on modern hardcore punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFD3IixM5A

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lol

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
just found this on a Glasgow guitar shop's facebook;

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

i wish i could work out what the gently caress is going on with that or how it even manages to work properly

i mean, imagine the feedback alone off that thing

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fair Hallion posted:

that poor mockingbird

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Fair Hallion posted:

I would get tetanus off that in a heartbeat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In case you guys remember forums history, like the "CPS Took my kids away" images, that guitar makes me want to go home and give my mockingbird some TLC in the form of a string change and polish.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Dewgy posted:

probably just that, it's a knock of one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-kh-2-kirk-hammett-ouija-signature-series-electric-guitar but being produced on the sly

i think someone mentioned this earlier but a lot of these cheap aliexpress guitars are just OEM factories that have since lost their contracts or are doing work on the side
The point was, on Alexpress, they have a left handed version, which may or may not exist. I think they just took a right handed one and flipped the image. All the lettering is backwards. It is no longer an OUIJA board, it is now an ALIUO board.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/2013-New-Arrival-Hammett-Ouija-White-opera-left-hand-Electric-guitar-OEM-left-guitar/2034120669.html

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

In case you guys remember forums history, like the "CPS Took my kids away" images, that guitar makes me want to go home and give my mockingbird some TLC in the form of a string change and polish.

Christ. For anyone else who hadn't seen that, here.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Wow, those photos are even worse than I remembered somehow

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Didn't the OP come back under a new account a few months later and thanked e/n for helping him turn his life around?

E: I just found out that cellulose dust mixed with superglue and baking soda catches fire when you drop superglue on it. Yay!

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

Didn't the OP come back under a new account a few months later and thanked e/n for helping him turn his life around?

E: I just found out that cellulose dust mixed with superglue and baking soda catches fire when you drop superglue on it. Yay!

yes, and a lot of goons cleaned their apartments that day

also apparently superglue is exothermic so that may have done it but I would have never thought that would catch fire

• Locked thread