Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Brumaldo posted:

If I remember Nocturne correctly you get really good melee skills only late in the game, while magic is pretty strong early on. Stuff like ice breath is pretty boss at the beginning of the game.
So investing in mag early is probably a good idea.

Please don't get a panic attack.

Yeah most of the better physical attacks are in the late game. Berserk and Heatwave are kind of okayish for the mean time, until you can get Hassohappa, Spiral Viper, Gaia Rage, Freikugel. Make sure to get Charge and never get rid of it though. Charge makes even your normal attack pretty decent for the early game.

Mostly just get Tornado + Force Boost ASAP and spam that like crazy, even without a really high magic stat it's still pretty much broken. Fire/Ice breath with the correct Boost are also decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Golden Goat posted:

I ran the same Str build for my first run. It's fine going that route. While you wait for more crazy physical attacks get fog breath and war cry. Debuffs are crazy powerful in this game.

Cool, I'll keep running with Str/Vit with a bit more focus on Magic then

Brumaldo posted:

If I remember Nocturne correctly you get really good melee skills only late in the game, while magic is pretty strong early on. Stuff like ice breath is pretty boss at the beginning of the game.
So investing in mag early is probably a good idea.

I got Ice Breath before I left the medical center so good to know that's useful!

Brumaldo posted:

Please don't get a panic attack.

too late

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you run a STR build you will be rewarded with Freikugel which turns you into a damage God.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do not overwrite Lunge and Focus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can't get through even one floor of Thanatos Tower. :suicide:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I love Persona 1 and even i think you're taking this too far.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2014/10/devil-survivor-2-break-record-gameplay-videos-first-print-bonus-announced

Break Record gameplay videos. Looks like they're keeping the same visual style outside of the cutscenes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So in Persona 3 FES, what do you have to do for Chidori to survive? GameFAQs is surprisingly non-specific on the subject, although there's a couple guides I haven't checked yet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It involves talking to Junpei on certain days leading up to her death, but I'll be damned if I remember anything more than that.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
She can die??? I'm glad i talked to each party member obsessively.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

whenever you get the chance talk to junpei in the dorm (so whenever he's there) and encourage him to visit the hospital

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

I love Persona 1 and even i think you're taking this too far.

I got a bit farther this time. All I gotta do is learn all the patterns of the Contact system and hope the rng doesn't screw me over.

:shepicide:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh god, I might actually do it this time. I'm on floor 4, and I've only got one character without her Persona (Ayase). I even managed to defeat quite a few encoutners along the way, gaining a few levels.

I'm going to put my vita in sleep mode for a while, until my nerves calm down.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dehry posted:

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/devil-survivor-2-break-record-gameplay-videos-first-print-bonus-announced

Break Record gameplay videos. Looks like they're keeping the same visual style outside of the cutscenes.

I was really kinda hoping that the delay would mean they were switching to the animated sprites from SMT4, but nope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I did it. I defeated Thanatos Tower first. In the end, it came down to a super stressful fight against the boss, with only my MC left alive shooting at the tentacles. Somehow, none of the insta-death attacks hit, and I managed to slowly grind their HP away.

The rest of the game should be a cakewalk after this.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Put the game down and see someone about these urges, it's not healthy to want to punish yourself.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did it. I defeated Thanatos Tower first. In the end, it came down to a super stressful fight against the boss, with only my MC left alive shooting at the tentacles. Somehow, none of the insta-death attacks hit, and I managed to slowly grind their HP away.

I'm impressed and horrified.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It wasn't that hard, really. All you need is to never make a mistake while contacting demons, and be very lucky. It took me less than 10 attempts!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I did that back when i played through the PSP version. I did sometimes use suspend data + USB transfer to make backup saves though :v:

But yeah the instant death stuff is the worst otherwise it's not as bad as it sounds. Charm bullets erryday.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 25, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lilim carried me through that entire ordeal. Grinding to level 21 before starting the quest was a chore, but it paid off.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can someone tell me why this is such a horrifying thing?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RadicalR posted:

Can someone tell me why this is such a horrifying thing?

He's doing the Snow Queen questline.

Thanatos Tower is one of the four towers you need to do in order to complete that quest. It's gimmick, as per the name, is instant death.

It is very hard. It is also timed.

quote:

There are a few things to know about this "infiltration":

The foes can wipe your party out in usually 1 to 2 hits, use Contact to avoid big battles.
The whole adventure is timed, you are given three hours to complete the tower. The timer only counts the duration of walking in the dungeon in 1st person view. All other occasions, including menus, encounters, conversations in rooms, and cutscenes do not count.
If any character dies in the Thanatos Tower, his/her Persona will be sealed. Go to the first room in Tartarus (タルタロス) located on the 2F to recover any sealed Personas.
Finally, there is no saving in the tower thus players can only perform a suspend save. Which means once your party is annihilated, you'll have to restart the Thanatos Tower over again.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

tithin posted:

He's doing the Snow Queen questline.

Thanatos Tower is one of the four towers you need to do in order to complete that quest. It's gimmick, as per the name, is instant death.

It is very hard. It is also timed.

It's also minimum lv 50, so unless you know how to use the contact system right, you are loving done.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

~More reasons I will never play Persona 1~

I'm excited for Persona Q though, I love the EO games so even if the story is terrible the gameplay should be enough for me. Shame about the release date being so close to so many other things, I think it even comes out the same day as the 3DS Pokemon games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cdyoung posted:

It's also minimum lv 50, so unless you know how to use the contact system right, you are loving done.

ALSO healing items are almost useless!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm excited for Persona Q though, I love the EO games so even if the story is terrible the gameplay should be enough for me. Shame about the release date being so close to so many other things, I think it even comes out the same day as the 3DS Pokemon games.

Does PQ have an automapper? Realistically, that's the decider on whether I pick it up. I don't have the time or inclination to draw maps myself anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

~More reasons I will never play Persona 1~

(Missed this)

Persona 1 isn't that bad! It's just that the game can be pretty hard when you don't know how it works, and the Snow Queen Quest is really hard, and doing Thanatos Tower first is even harder. Just playing through the Main Quest normally won't have any bullshit of that level. The worst you get is the Karma Palace, and it's nowhere near Thanatos Tower level of "gently caress you".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PQ has automapping yeah.

Personally I don't mind filling out features on the map, I actually find it kind of fun but I hate filling out walls. I think one of the games in the EO series is doing stuff like allowing you to turn on just certain automapping features and not others.

I'm sure Persona 1 isn't THAT bad but personally I think P2 did not age very well and from all impressions P1 is even worse at that

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Gameplay-wise, Persona 1 has aged better than the Persona 2 games. The P2 duology had the best storylines of any SMT games but god drat do they have some awful loving gameplay. P1 is a bit clunky too, but nowhere near as unfun as the P2s.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P2's gameplay just comes down to finding out which combination/order results in giving you a fusion spell and then just repeating that over and over again while contacting in between fights when you run low on SP. And as a bonus you don't have to worry about placing characters in the most asinine grid system ever devised and find a way to force every character to participate lest they lag behind in experience.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's not really fun to grind contacts so you can get tarots to summon Personas that you then have to grind so they'll rank up so you can grind fusions until they mutate.

The grid system isn't that bad anyway, it's pretty easy to find a setup where every party member can cover most of the grid.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

It involves talking to Junpei on certain days leading up to her death, but I'll be damned if I remember anything more than that.

That's it I think, just talk to him and encourage him constantly in the dorm. I think if you miss any or are ever negative about his chances with her you're locked out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You just have to do three out of four.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Don't listen to any insanity that says P1 is even remotely good or aged any better. That game is complete garbage and there is very little reason to play it. It has some of the worst gameplay design in the series and is just as, if not more grindy than p2 with just as awful an encounter rate and less intelligible of a battle/contact system. It also has a garbage story and its characters are more bland 90s anime tropes than the p3 cast.

You are literally better off not playing P1. That game is cancer and it also killed my dog.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You sound like a mentally balanced person, with reasonable opinions.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Instead of arguing about Persona, you guys should be playing Raidou vs. King Abaddon, the best SMT game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

You sound like a mentally balanced person, with reasonable opinions.

Jokes aside you can make lots of arguments w/ evidence as to why P1 is a terrible game. Mainly that it wants you to use the grid system which can be so easily worked around that it has no reason for existing other than to make certain characters inconvenient, there are party members who don't actually matter or have any strategic value in either quest, and there are objectively optimal routes to take in each quest that really invalidate a lot of player choice. These are problems that crop up in other Persona games but they are exacerbated by the fact that the balance in P1 is so stupidly off kilter that you can go through an entire level steamrolling enemies (and not leveling up at all because the game just wants you to grind for hours) and then get murdered in the next area because SURPRISE THE ENEMIES ARE 20 LEVELS HIGHER THAN YOU! The mall is seriously one of the worst areas in any RPG I've ever played.

Also the equipment/persona management system is a mangled mess that makes very little sense and the ridiculous amount of failstate RNG in persona fusing is obnoxious 90's design that is only in to make the game more inconvenient and thus take more time to play. That is essentially all the game is. As neat as the snow queen questline was in a like, 'wow an alternate route in a 90s RPG how novel and quaint' way, the entirety of its design is just "here's a bunch of hard stuff you can savescum and RNG your way out of! Alternatively grind on the low-exp drop enemies until you get a broken persona before the quest even starts!". This has been demonstrated in-thread by pretty much everyone who has played the game and posted about it, which pretty concretely demonstrates it as a problem.

The game is just 80 hours of nothing with some bullshit arbitrary thrown in for... fun? Like it all you want but it's hard to make the argument that it is in any way a decent game that is worth anyone's time at all.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Hmmmmm. Sounds like what you're saying, is that you are not good at video games. Maybe Shin Megami Tensei isn't the series for you.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Hmmmmm. Sounds like what you're saying, is that you are not good at video games. Maybe Shin Megami Tensei isn't the series for you.

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you're good at games in P1 because player input doesn't actually matter at all whatsoever in that game. I'm fine at games, P1 barely qualifies as a game.

Comparing the difficulty of P1 to the other games is a really dumb comparison because P1's difficulty almost all comes from arbitrarium whereas other SMT games, for the most part, have difficulty related to skill and planning.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

alcharagia posted:

Instead of arguing about Persona, you guys should be playing Shin Megami Tensei 4, the best SMT game.