Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Trying do get to one of the eye pieces in that terrible sidequest after the eye explodes I ended up glitching myself through the walls of the map entirely and running through the floor. I'm surprised nobody managed it in playtesting given how unobvious the correct route seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Before I realized that one of the sloping pillars was climbable I was trying to grenade jump onto the roof from the crates going into the loading mechanism.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The ceiling in Jack's office isn't solid. Really the ceilings of a lot of "interior" areas aren't. I guess they didn't consider that video game players have a compulsive habit of jumping on everything.

edit:

It's scary up here :ohdear:
You can do this sort of thing in the first room in the game. :D

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014

CJacobs posted:

The ceiling in Jack's office isn't solid. Really the ceilings of a lot of "interior" areas aren't. I guess they didn't consider that video game players have a compulsive habit of jumping on everything.

edit:

It's scary up here :ohdear:

Does this get you anywhere interesting? or just the blackness of space?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Badcounterpoint posted:

Does this get you anywhere interesting? or just the blackness of space?

Most of the time you just fall outside the level but there are a couple other areas where you can loot poo poo through the walls... which is kinda useless since you really could just walk there INSIDE the level anyway. :v:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Dicky B posted:

Trying do get to one of the eye pieces in that terrible sidequest after the eye explodes I ended up glitching myself through the walls of the map entirely and running through the floor. I'm surprised nobody managed it in playtesting given how unobvious the correct route seems
It also could have been an issue that was ignored by developers on purpose. It happens.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I want to zoom around and butt-stomp as Kreig. :(

Somebody make him be playable in this game.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

As one of the broken people who actually likes Tiny Tina, TVHM is absolutely hilarious with the extra commentary thrown in courtesy of her and Brick. Sorry 360 goons, I've been solo'ing just to hear all of the dialog with my character :(

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

rydiafan posted:

I want to zoom around and butt-stomp as Kreig. :(

Somebody make him be playable in this game.

You know that reminds me, other than Gibbed there hasn't been much modding for Borderlands 2 or the Presequel even though the first game had a significant amount of extensive and weirdo mods (like Skag Pokeballs). Was there an engine change that made modding that much harder?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chasiubao posted:

As one of the broken people who actually likes Tiny Tina, TVHM is absolutely hilarious with the extra commentary thrown in courtesy of her and Brick. Sorry 360 goons, I've been solo'ing just to hear all of the dialog with my character :(

everything was great except dickalicious

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dicky B posted:

So does using the cheat engine to get better loot drops make the enemies more difficult too? I can imagine it being really boring if you're constantly running around with awesome weapons and the enemies are the same difficulty.

For Borderlands 2 a friend and I invented a dumb thing we called "gun challenge" mode which was actually pretty fun:
- You're not allowed to manually transfer guns to your backpack.
- If you come across a gun, you have to equip it immediately by holding e to replace one of your current guns
- When you come across a vendor, sell all the guns in your backpack
- You're allowed to hold onto purples or legendaries and manually equip them for boss fights

I used to do this in Sawtooth Cauldron in 2.5, it was genuinely a lot of fun to try to make whatever gun you had work for you. I think BL2 playthrough 2.5 was the best balance the series has seen, I wish the entire game could be like 2.5

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Skandranon posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. If you aren't willing to suffer somewhat, or invest something to accomplish a goal... why not just watch it on Twitch or Youtube? You'll see the same content, at the same level of effort. I don't see how giving yourself a +1 million damage gun and one-shotting a boss you are having trouble with is satisfying, or different from just watching someone else do it. There has to be some serious self deception going on if you feel good about cheating in this way.

Non-competitive video games are about having fun, not beating other people. If someone uses scripts to do whatever and it makes them Have More Fun, there is nothing at all wrong with that as long as it isn't negatively affecting someone else's level of Having Fun.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 27, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why is the entirety of Helios covered in a yellow-sepia Instagram filter? Don't get me wrong, I like when games do color filters especially when it brings out a certain color in particular, but the saturation kinda hurts my eyes a little after starin' at it for a while. How do I turn it off?

edit: Figured it out, it's like the previous Borderlands games where color filtering is tied to the depth of field option in the menu for some reason.

Here it is on for people who don't know what I mean.

Here it is off, for comparison.

In other news, god drat, Nisha with the Ghostbusters plasma laser is loving insane when you use her action skill. I don't even have to LOOK at things, I just hold down the button and the beam basically instantly kills anything I'm even remotely aiming towards.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 27, 2014

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

wdarkk posted:

Before I realized that one of the sloping pillars was climbable I was trying to grenade jump onto the roof from the crates going into the loading mechanism.

Grenade jumping is never the wrong solution. I just wish they hadn't put so many invisible walls and killboxes in the really cool vertical areas. Lining up a really cool jump and slamming into air is pretty much the anti-fun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

mycot posted:

You know that reminds me, other than Gibbed there hasn't been much modding for Borderlands 2 or the Presequel even though the first game had a significant amount of extensive and weirdo mods (like Skag Pokeballs). Was there an engine change that made modding that much harder?

Yes. In the first game you could unlock the editor really easily but it's impossible with the new engine. Most of the people who did those mods don't really play the new ones either but that is mostly because of the lack of modding capability.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Skandranon posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. If you aren't willing to suffer somewhat, or invest something to accomplish a goal... why not just watch it on Twitch or Youtube? You'll see the same content, at the same level of effort. I don't see how giving yourself a +1 million damage gun and one-shotting a boss you are having trouble with is satisfying, or different from just watching someone else do it. There has to be some serious self deception going on if you feel good about cheating in this way.

Some of us have other things to do than grind and gamble for hours on end in the hopes of getting a particular weapon. The odds of getting a given item, how much effort it takes to get that item, etc., is all just an arbitrary hurdle put forth by the developer. This isn't a job, after all, and people can define how they want to enjoy it.

The rarity schemes and the need to level characters independently has always stank of bullshit to me for a non-competitive game. I don't use any mods or cheats at the moment, but I can't blame anyone for wanting a way around Borderlands' equipment advancement.

CJacobs posted:

In other news, god drat, Nisha with the Ghostbusters plasma laser is loving insane when you use her action skill. I don't even have to LOOK at things, I just hold down the button and the beam basically instantly kills anything I'm even remotely aiming towards.

Nisha with a quality laser or smg turns Showdown into a win button. My first playthrough had me hang onto the weapon Moxxi gives you for 5-6 levels after getting it because it made the shield-happy enemies you encounter in the late game (like the Lost Legion or Eridians) into clowns, getting annihilated in swaths even with a severely underleveled weapon.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 27, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm currently running a crapshooter build with a non-elemental spinigun and I don't even need Ruthless(?) to clear entire rooms in one showdown. I also love how Tombstone can cause grenades, slams and rockets to crit.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Hot Jam posted:

Non-competitive video games are about having fun, not beating other people. If someone uses scripts to do whatever and it makes them Have More Fun, there is nothing at all wrong with that as long as it isn't negatively affecting someone else's level of Having Fun.

I am speaking entirely in the context of single player, or consenting cheating in co-op with friends. I don't care what other people do to have fun, as it certainly doesn't affect me playing my game. I just don't understand it, at least at the extremes. Modding the drop rates slightly so you see a few more legendaries, that's a small thing, but I don't see how significant cheating is fun. The whole point of playing a game is to subject yourselves to the rules within it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe they just like shooting bad guys and rolling with the story. I was protecting the beacon in BL2 and my cousin dropped in with some pretty heavy cheats, basically blowing everything away effortlessly. I was also baffled by it.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

People don't understand lots of stuff in life. It's not a problem.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Skandranon posted:

The whole point of playing a game is to subject yourselves to the rules within it.

I used to think that way, but I think all the modding I did on Bethesda games really changed my mind on that. Think it of as house rules, where the house in question is your own.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I used to think that way, but I think all the modding I did on Bethesda games really changed my mind on that. Think it of as house rules, where the house in question is your own.

That's different since Bethesda games are complete garbage while the Borderlands games are only slight garbage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Having just played through the Cult Following quest chain yesterday in Borderlands 2, I just want to let you know how adorable that is to hear. :allears:

Edit: also, replaying through the Lilith quests in Borderlands 2 really just highlights what a terrible, dumb person she is. I know it's intended to make her sloppy and endearing, but in retrospect she's probably the absolute last person that should be in charge of the Vault Hunters.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 27, 2014

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I've played up through the part where you find Zarpadon's old ship so I'm not very far into the game on play-through 1 but man do I hate low level Borderlands. I'm using Athena and I just hit level 16 with her. I feel her action skill does really nothing for me. Sure I block a lot of incoming damage but I feel I don't have enough skill points to even start a (good) character build.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Athena becomes a lot more active if you go down her elemental tree, if you haven't already. You do need to get at least like halfway down though, so you start getting the skill modifying stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Athena's skill's usefulness is really a slow burn. Think Lilith's skill in Borderlands 1. At first it's not really all that helpful for anything but avoiding damage but as you make your way down whichever tree you pick, it becomes more useful until you get near the end and suddenly you're a god of action-skill-related-death.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Athena's action skill is also amazing for sustaining damage against bosses during their wind up or telegraphed big attacks, as you can pop the shield, 100% prevent the damage, and keep on shooting. It also lets you use roid shields with her melee skills with much less risk.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Fishing up my first playthough of the game now as Fragtrap. Most fun action skills in a Borderlands Game yet. The Laser Inferno is absolutely insane with a high amount of enemies on the screen - you just run up to everyone to dance with them and they explode in a rainbow of elemental doom! All Fragtrap wants to do is dance, bros! Trying to decide who I want to play next, I've been reading Nisha and Athena are really fun, can anyone report back on Wilhelm? I get the impression he's kinda boring with the drones as an action skill but I dunno. Fragtrap has a lot of minion action skill variants and I feel Wilhelm would be more of the same.

My favorite character in BL2 was Zer0 because of the sniper and melee skills, so I'm leaning towards Athena for my next playthrough in TPS.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 27, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I enjoyed Wilhelm, although it might not be for everyone. I had a lot of fun mashing the action skill key desperately to paint targets before they died.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

wdarkk posted:

I enjoyed Wilhelm, although it might not be for everyone. I had a lot of fun mashing the action skill key desperately to paint targets before they died.

Yeah, it's the perfect playstyle for the lazy. Pop the encounter (or two), and idly spot things to die, pitching in if desired.

Or run past, and leave the drones to clean up.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mental Midget posted:

My favorite character in BL2 was Zer0 because of the sniper and melee skills, so I'm leaning towards Athena for my next playthrough in TPS.

I got to 50 with Wilhelm last night, and he's pretty fun. Mostly built into the middle tree, all the cybernetic enhancement stuff is great. Freezing dudes and then smashing them with the power fist is awesome, it's pretty much a one hit smash. I can ssee how he might feel similar to Fragtrap though, I'd pick onne of the other two first. Nisha and Athena are both good fun.

E: and on that note any 50s on PC wanna help me run the raid boss quest tonight (GMT)? I can't quite get him solo with Wilhelm. I feel I'd have more luck with Nisha or Athena in that regard.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've been playing a hunter-killer Wilhelm in co-op over the last few days and I'm not super into it. I feel like I'm mostly just spending my time painting targets and not getting a chance to shoot anybody. Either that or I neglect painting and Wolf doesn't stay out for very long and doesn't get many rolling thunder stacks. May end up speccing into a petless overcharge spamming dreadnaught build once I can get the final skill. It's hard to justify switching over right now though, since hunter-killer seems significantly more useful at low levels.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vargs posted:

I've been playing a hunter-killer Wilhelm in co-op over the last few days and I'm not super into it. I feel like I'm mostly just spending my time painting targets and not getting a chance to shoot anybody. Either that or I neglect painting and Wolf doesn't stay out for very long and doesn't get many rolling thunder stacks. May end up speccing into a petless overcharge spamming dreadnaught build once I can get the final skill. It's hard to justify switching over right now though, since hunter-killer seems significantly more useful at low levels.

I have found that spec'ing into the left and center trees is a nice balance. The game isn't generally so difficult that I need the added survivability of Saint's buffs (the left-most tree) and the center tree allows me to be a completely competent fighter on my own. Combining the cannon from the center tree with a fast-charging shield basically ensures that the cannon is almost always up and shooting things when I am shooting things, and the additional buffs to Wolf are great too. I have really enjoyed sprinting around with an assortment of laser weapons, playing the game like Quake while I just let Wolf do whatever the gently caress.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Metrohunter posted:

Athena becomes a lot more active if you go down her elemental tree, if you haven't already. You do need to get at least like halfway down though, so you start getting the skill modifying stuff.

Yeah I have 5 points in the first two skills on the elemental tree and then the rest in the Aspis tree to get some longer duration and health regen. I can see her potential but I definitely find myself using her skill less and less each combat compared to when I played Gaige and Sal.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

lazerwolf posted:

Yeah I have 5 points in the first two skills on the elemental tree and then the rest in the Aspis tree to get some longer duration and health regen. I can see her potential but I definitely find myself using her skill less and less each combat compared to when I played Gaige and Sal.

You get more out of the trees if you stick to one. The bottom level skills really change things up. I'm looking forward to finishing the Xiphos tree so I can play like Zer0, but instead, my Many Must Fall need never end! Just need to bleed everyone once, then cycle back through them finishing them off, making them all explode in a shower of blood.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Salvadore's skill was so active, gunzerking eventually become the standard for him. I never played Anarchy Gaige, but I can definitely say that Athena gets a lot more active later on, when you can mix and match skills from the deeper ends of multiple trees. Zeus' Wrath + ricochet shield is pretty fantastic.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Anarchy Gaige didn't need DeathTrap at all, you could go hours without summoning him. It's the mechanics of Anarchy that made her so awesome (+ infinity damage, -infinity accuracy, +50% richochet on all bullets)

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Nisha's also pretty terrifying when she dual wields level 50 Jakobs revolvers with Unforgiven, just one long Showdown with the Celestial Lawbringer mod.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So last night I found level 30ish versions of the Celestial Gladiator and Lawbringer mods in vending machines :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Skandranon posted:

Anarchy Gaige didn't need DeathTrap at all, you could go hours without summoning him. It's the mechanics of Anarchy that made her so awesome (+ infinity damage, -infinity accuracy, +50% richochet on all bullets)

Sure Anarchy Gaige didn't really NEED DeathTrap but I always summoned him regardless because why not have a little bit more DPS. Plus at level 61+ you could basically get all you need for from the Anarchy tree and the DT Tree.

I'll do a respec and focus on one tree for Athena until I have enough skill points to make it down another one.

I always find it kind of strange to have a game so focused on bazillions of gun options that a melee build is one of the strongest for two characters.

• Locked thread