Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Give ZSS a Bayonetta-themed color scheme, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Crap, I'm abroad and won't be in my home region until next year. I searched the online stores and there are barely any Bayonetta1+2 packs left. I'm gonna have to call someone to pick it up! I don't even own a Wii U.

Well, it'll always be available digitally at least.

(It's worth it, it's seriously better than the first game.)

homeless snail posted:

Sometimes I wonder how I ended up on this forum that caters to high level video game publishing executives.

You ended up on the forum that is aware that if a game bombs they tend to not make more of that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

You think gamergate will have any significant effect on sales? Or well, anything?

Not directly, but increased coverage of the former has led to increased coverage of the latter, more articles talking about or debating it, etc. You realize this has made the front page of the New York Tines right?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Not directly, but increased coverage of the former has led to increased coverage of the latter, more articles talking about or debating it, etc. You realize this has made the front page of the New York Tines right?

Absolutely every Gamergate reference outside of Twitter has either been "here's some nerd poo poo" or "we distance ourselves from Gamergate and we only mention it because people keep asking us on loving Twitter about our opinions re:Gamergate".

Seriously, Gamergate is insanely important to a miniscule amount of people and everyone else either laughs about it or (rightfully) isn't aware of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it'll always be available digitally at least.

(It's worth it, it's seriously better than the first game.)

You ended up on the forum that is aware that if a game bombs they tend to not make more of that game.

Is the first Bayonetta available digitally as well? You never know with these things.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Renoistic posted:

Is the first Bayonetta available online as well? You never know with these things.

Yes. Buy one and the other is discounted so you only have to pay $60 for them both.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mr E posted:

That's nice, but that's what publishers tend to care about if you're worried about a sequel.

I better go buy 200000 copies then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Its a real shame Platinum shut down after making only one game... To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, game finds a way.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

A new game came out on Friday and on Monday people are worried it may not get a sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Its a real shame Platinum shut down after making only one game... To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, game finds a way.

Yeah, boy, niche titles that bomb sure find a way. That is a thing that happens.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, yes, who cares about game sales. If the game is good, it's good.

On the other hand good gamer sales do mean that Platinum gets more money and gets to make more games so it's not insane to want the game to sell well (though Platinum have managed to keep getting funding to make great games despite none of them selling all that great (Bayonetta being their biggest hit and even that didn't sell amazing or anything).

Also, while playing through Bayonetta, while I really really like the game, it does make me think how dumb people arguing that it was "actually kind of progressive" are. It is pretty much as close to a video game adaptation of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic as you could get. Once again, the game is amazing and I'm not actually offended by it or anything but man, that is like an insanely low bar for progressive some of you got there.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 27, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, boy, niche titles that bomb sure find a way. That is a thing that happens.
You realize we're talking about Bayonetta 2, right? lol

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

homeless snail posted:

The game that only exists because Nintendo wanted an exclusive noone else wanted to fund.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

elf help book posted:

A new game came out on Friday and on Monday people are worried it may not get a sequel.

People were discussing Smash Brothers 5 characters before 4 was even released.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Yes, I do. Bayonetta didn't bomb. It performed pretty admirably for the kind of title it was and it still only got a sequel specifically because Nintendo was willing to bankroll it in an attempt to draw in the hardcore gamer crowd. Wonderful 101 is pretty goddamn unlikely to get a sequel to use a related example.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Platinum's DS game Infinite Space sold really well, it actually completely sold out almost immediately from what I remember. They were pissed at their publisher SEGA for not producing/shipping more copies of the game since they lowballed it. Its price spiked to $90 immediately.

What I'm saying is, they should make a new Infinite Space game for the Wii U or 3DS and make it available digitally.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

People were discussing Smash Brothers 5 characters before 4 was even released.

People in this thread were just discussing why a character ABSOLUTELY CAN NEVER BE INCLUDED in a Smash game when really they can just do whatever they want to do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just bought a blue wii remote plus and nunchuk refurbished from Nintendo's website. I know the consoles they sell refurbished are basically new, how are the controllers? The same or with visible wear?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

People in this thread were just discussing why a character ABSOLUTELY CAN NEVER BE INCLUDED in a Smash game when really they can just do whatever they want to do.

They can put any character they want in a Smash game, except Ridley. He's too big (actually I just think Sakurai keeps his youthful appearance by feeding on the sorrow and disappointment of Ridley fans).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

axleblaze posted:

it does make me think how dumb people arguing that it was "actually kind of progressive" are. It is pretty much as close to a video game adaptation of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic as you could get. Once again, the game is amazing and I'm not actually offended by it or anything but man, that is like an insanely low bar for progressive some of you got there.

The jokes in that comic are that the women are still portrayed as weak simpering idiots despite being STRONG FEMALES (i.e. binging on cookies, having their feelings hurt by name-calling, being smitten by pathetic men). Please point out the parts in either game where Bayonetta is portrayed as anything less than a stone-cold killer queen.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr E posted:

That's nice, but that's what publishers tend to care about if you're worried about a sequel.

Well if you liked Bayo 1 when it came out originally, I'd say actually getting a Bayo 2 despite the odds against it should be satisfying enough for the fans. No need to start hand-wringing about Bayo 3 yet, 2 is only 3 days old.

That's more than Vanquish got :(

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The reports about it being sold out suggest a very low print run, not gangbuster sales.

If it's a low print run, you'd have to use the print numbers as what they expected the game to sell. Regardless of the numbers, if it's selling out at stores, that means it's beating their projected numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The jokes in that comic are that the women are still portrayed as weak simpering idiots despite being STRONG FEMALES (i.e. binging on cookies, having their feelings hurt by name-calling, being smitten by pathetic men). Please point out the parts in either game where Bayonetta is portrayed as anything less than a stone-cold killer queen.

There's a real argument to be made that Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 1 have pretty different messages if you want to do that analysis. Which is not going to go good anywhere in this forum so we should probably drop it here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a real argument to be made that Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 1 have pretty different messages if you want to do that analysis. Which is not going to go good anywhere in this forum so we should probably drop it here.

Ok, sure. No problem.

Edit: Also of course Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 both make a bad first impression with crazy amounts of campy objectification and are also p. sexist to boot. But Bayonetta herself is well portrayed as a cocky badass IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 27, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't want to derail this into a whole thing either so I probably just shouldn't have brought it up. Just in general I don't think it's a stretch to not say it's a particularly progressive game, nor is it remotely trying to be but there's no reason it needs to be so it's cool.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

She maybe a stone-cold killer queen, but she's still hyper-sexualized as an object of desire. I mean, her costume is her hair that sometimes disappears as it's being used to show her barbie-level un-natural almost nude body while she shoots guns from her comically large stripper heels. You really can't get much more sexist than that.

I understand it's supposed to be over the top, but making any attempt to argue that she is anything but a hyper-sexualized stereotype, simply because she's a "stone-cold killer" pretty much proves the feminist point that the gaming community is completely out of touch in terms of sexism and misogyny.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bayonetta is really cool when it's about wanting to be Bayonetta, and it's really stupid when it's about wanting to gently caress Bayonetta, and both games dabble in both of those things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

Seriously, Gamergate is insanely important to a miniscule amount of people and everyone else either laughs about it or (rightfully) isn't aware of it.

No, you're forgetting the third option, sick of seeing and hearing about it on every loving website god drat, which is where I fall.

Edit: maybe this is because a large percentage of my friends are liberal arts professors and members of non profits who take this seriously and post a lot of articles about humanities on Facebook

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 27, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Bayonetta is really cool when it's about wanting to be Bayonetta, and it's really stupid when it's about wanting to gently caress Bayonetta, and both games dabble in both of those things.

I can agree with this but I would make it more general in saying "it's really cool when it's about Bayonetta kicking rear end and really stupid at all other times".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I who never enjoyed or bought a single dmc style game picked up bayonetta yesterday. Then I messaged a nongoon friend who only buys video games that work on nintendos and he had never even heard of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

Also, while playing through Bayonetta, while I really really like the game, it does make me think how dumb people arguing that it was "actually kind of progressive" are. It is pretty much as close to a video game adaptation of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic as you could get. Once again, the game is amazing and I'm not actually offended by it or anything but man, that is like an insanely low bar for progressive some of you got there.
drat straight my standards are low. Games are a wasteland for any kind of interesting portrayal of female characters.

edit: Shantae is the same way. She's in charge of the story and other characters look up to her and rely on her, that's already so much more than I expect from games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

She maybe a stone-cold killer queen, but she's still hyper-sexualized as an object of desire. I mean, her costume is her hair that sometimes disappears as it's being used to show her barbie-level un-natural almost nude body while she shoots guns from her comically large stripper heels. You really can't get much more sexist than that.

I understand it's supposed to be over the top, but making any attempt to argue that she is anything but a hyper-sexualized stereotype, simply because she's a "stone-cold killer" pretty much proves the feminist point that the gaming community is completely out of touch in terms of sexism and misogyny.

Bayonetta's design is literally based off fashion sketch proportions. The entire concept of the character is based around the idea that traditionally feminine elements are not weak, shameful or otherwise undesirable but are actually sources of strength and self-actualization and that she is allowed to be the primary actor in her own story in a way that in unmistakable feminine and unashamed of it. The first game's plot is pretty much about shooting the patriarchy in the dick.

She also has creepy fetish costumes designed for people to wank off to and the camera loves to spend half its time on her rear end.

Bayonetta!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best lense to view Bayonetta isn't through sexism. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are just JAPANESE AS HELL. The fetishization of female characters, the impotence of male "comical relief", an explicable hard-on for slamming religion.... its all there.

When I get to bayonetta 2, I'll probably skip all the cutscenes. The first game's cutscenes were ear-bleedingly awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

On the other hand good gamer sales do mean that Platinum gets more money and gets to make more games so it's not insane to want the game to sell well (though Platinum have managed to keep getting funding to make great games despite none of them selling all that great (Bayonetta being their biggest hit and even that didn't sell amazing or anything).

Right now Platinum seems to be in this weird niche of arthouse darling. They keep getting funding for games because people who love games love their games, but they can't quite manage a breakout hit with the wide audience. But they'll keep going just on the strength of great games. There's not many people at their level of the industry who can do that (I can't think of anyone else, but maybe someone can).

axleblaze posted:

They can put any character they want in a Smash game, except Ridley. He's too big (actually I just think Sakurai keeps his youthful appearance by feeding on the sorrow and disappointment of Ridley fans).

I think he'll put Kraid in before Ridley just to gently caress with people.

Narcissus1916 posted:

When I get to bayonetta 2, I'll probably skip all the cutscenes. The first game's cutscenes were ear-bleedingly awful.

They also make absolutely no sense. I mean even less sense than video game cutscenes usually make.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Bayonetta's design is literally based off fashion sketch proportions. The entire concept of the character is based around the idea that traditionally feminine elements are not weak, shameful or otherwise undesirable but are actually sources of strength and self-actualization and that she is allowed to be the primary actor in her own story in a way that in unmistakable feminine and unashamed of it. The first game's plot is pretty much about shooting the patriarchy in the dick.

She also has creepy fetish costumes designed for people to wank off to and the camera loves to spend half its time on her rear end.

Bayonetta!

You kinda prove my point right there. Her proportions being based on fashion sketch proportions is the exact opposite of female empowerment and showing femininity as strength. The depiction of women by the fashion industry is quite possibly the most globally damaging representation of women. It's an industry whose depictions are completely done to create a feeling of inadequacy in women in order to convince them to shell money out to attempt to be like the depictions. The not-so-clever secret being that that depiction is impossible to attain.

And being the primary actor in her own story is not a showing of strength. All it does is take the female role from passive sexual object to active sexual object.

I mean I could go on, and you'll respond, and I'll respond and it will poo poo up this thread and get nobody anywhere. I just wanted to point out that you can't create a strong female character by making her an extreme sexual stereotype and then saying "Also, she kills everything".

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fremry posted:

You kinda prove my point right there. Her proportions being based on fashion sketch proportions is the exact opposite of female empowerment and showing femininity as strength. The depiction of women by the fashion industry is quite possibly the most globally damaging representation of women. It's an industry whose depictions are completely done to create a feeling of inadequacy in women in order to convince them to shell money out to attempt to be like the depictions. The not-so-clever secret being that that depiction is impossible to attain.

And being the primary actor in her own story is not a showing of strength. All it does is take the female role from passive sexual object to active sexual object.

I mean I could go on, and you'll respond, and I'll respond and it will poo poo up this thread and get nobody anywhere. I just wanted to point out that you can't create a strong female character by making her an extreme sexual stereotype and then saying "Also, she kills everything".

holy poo poo whooooo caresssssssssssssssssssssss

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I had sworn off nintendo for years after the original Wii but after purchasing a 2ds last year and enjoying the hell out of it I couldn't put it off any longer after trying a demo of Mario 3D World. Welp I did it, I just purchased a Wii U. Hooray, I'm in the next gen! Mario 3D World is loving amazing and my 4 year old likes wandering around the levels as Princess Peach :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

I think he'll put Kraid in before Ridley just to gently caress with people.

I have a friend that's a huge Ridley and Smash fan and I've suggested to him that they'll probably put Ridley in eventually...NES Ridley! I mean, he's not too big, right?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

All it does is take the female role from passive sexual object to active sexual object.
It's like saying that the difference between a 3D platformer and a 2D platformer is the extra axis, it's not anything important, haha

Wii U General Discussion - Misogynist Games for Misogynist Gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It is very cool when there are 120 new posts in the Wii U thread and it's a debate about sexism in video games

• Locked thread