Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well let me rephrase that. you do need swap for stuff like oracle because it hogs up a chunk of memory and 'manages' it. as in the kernel vm management can't page out anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but then youre probably not running oracle because youre just a peasant who wants desktop linux

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i havent bothered creating a swap partition for a few years now

the only times ive run out of ram have been because of a really bad memory leak of my own creation

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

so consensus is that only old weird people swap?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
like i said it depends but probably not. desktops most definitely dont need swap unless you're on some kind of poverty system from 2002. servers only need swap for stuff like databases, tomcat/jboss, edge case bullshit like squid and varnish. maybe kv stores like redis and memcache depending on how you use them

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

pram posted:

if you hit max memory without swap the oom killer will just start blowing up potentially important stuff

what happens if you run out of memory and also run out of swap

pram
Jun 10, 2001
same thing

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
today i found out that qemu can't output 1366x768 through any of its vga drivers 'cause 1366 isn't divisible by 8. good poo poo.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use os x

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

theadder posted:

i use os x

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get better

pram
Jun 10, 2001
osx, the worlds most advanced operating system, will compress memory if it has to page :smuggo:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

zram was merged into Linux as of 3.14, and apparently:

quote:

Google uses zram in Chrome OS and it is also available as an option for Android 4.4 devices.[7][8] Also, Lubuntu started using zram with version 13.10.[9] As of December 2012, Ubuntu considers to enable zram by default on computers with small amounts of RAM installed.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:smugmrgw:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

sounds as if theyre playing catch up with market leader apple inc op

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

maybe os x will get a real file system someday then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

maybe os x will get a real file system someday then

it had a real filesystem back in the day but they deprecated it

gg

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

pram posted:

like i said it depends but probably not. desktops most definitely dont need swap unless you're on some kind of poverty system from 2002. servers only need swap for stuff like databases, tomcat/jboss, edge case bullshit like squid and varnish. maybe kv stores like redis and memcache depending on how you use them

a linux with 4 gibbibytes of rams will swap quite a bit if you just open tabs in firefox

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Deus Rex posted:

linux has had good support for swap files since 2.6 and you can suspend or hibernate to a swap file just fine.

"good" support would mean something like the macintosh operating system ten's dynamic_pager, which creates and destroys swapfiles on demand, functionality which always seemed to be lacking in linuxes. also i don't think i ever saw a linux install which defaulted to files instead of partitions. have these things changed at all?

(my recent linux install experience is limited to red hate and it still does swap partitions because of course it would. kid, nickel, real computer, go buy one, etc)

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Enlightenment WM, best double-u, em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOa8o1tgIU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BobHoward posted:

a linux with 4 gibbibytes of rams will swap quite a bit if you just open tabs in firefox

lol 4gb of ram, lol firefox etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

"good" support would mean something like the macintosh operating system ten's dynamic_pager, which creates and destroys swapfiles on demand, functionality which always seemed to be lacking in linuxes. also i don't think i ever saw a linux install which defaulted to files instead of partitions. have these things changed at all?

(my recent linux install experience is limited to red hate and it still does swap partitions because of course it would. kid, nickel, real computer, go buy one, etc)

it defaults to a fixed-size swap partition on lvm, because that is the only sane or reasonable configuration

i'm sure you could mis-configure it to suit your very specific needs, but that's your own problem, neckbeard

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 27, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

pram posted:

lol 4gb of ram, lol firefox etc

:agreed: but you dont always get to choose what's in your work pc

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it defaults to a fixed-size swap partition on lvm, because that is the only sane or reasonable stuck-in-the-1970s configuration

i'm sure you could mis-configure it to suit your very specific needs, but that's your own problem, neckbeard

the "need" is wanting to boot the install dvd, press butan, and have it auto partition the disk as one partition instead of a bunch of tiny ones just because irrelevant decades-old big-iron neckbeard dogma insists that you must put swap and bin and sbin and root-FS and home dirs and opt each in their own mini partition. the "need" is not wanting to ever have to cj swap space. the "need" is not having to guess how much swap is enough potentially years before a critical event.

in short, the "need" is wanting a linux to actually behave like real desktop operating systems in tyool 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

the "need" is wanting to boot the install dvd, press butan, and have it auto partition the disk as one partition instead of a bunch of tiny ones just because irrelevant decades-old big-iron neckbeard dogma insists that you must put swap and bin and sbin and root-FS and home dirs and opt each in their own mini partition. the "need" is not wanting to ever have to cj swap space. the "need" is not having to guess how much swap is enough potentially years before a critical event.

in short, the "need" is wanting a linux to actually behave like real desktop operating systems in tyool 2014
the defaults have always worked fine for me. maybe stop worrying so much?

what kind of "critical event" are you thinking of, anyway? that sounds like the sort of thing that might happen on the sort of server that people are paid to cj, not your desktop

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

same but with a 5k retinal display op

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
what made all the lunatics come out of the woodwork. a Linux will run on 100 meg of ram just fine. popular distros have a "click button, use whole drive" mode. Linux is poo poo, but not for these idiot reasons.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
who the gently caress actually contemplates swap space

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

BobHoward posted:

works on my machine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BobHoward posted:

seriously also lol, if the one-click install pushed everything into partitions nobody except the neckbeards would even know the difference

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobbilljim posted:

who the gently caress actually contemplates swap space

linuxes

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

BobHoward posted:

the only reason I even bother with this hobbyist garbage with it's terrible armchair ~innovators~.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu defaults to files now though I haven't done an install on metal in ages

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/27/1

glad they nipped this 'un in the bud

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

My phone is a Linux with 2 gigs of ram and it runs Firefox v well, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

the "need" is not having to guess how much swap is enough potentially years before a critical event.

it will create more swap than you have physical memory, so that in a worst-case scenario you can dump 100% of physical memory to swap

worrying that the amount of RAM in the system might change over "years" is the neckbeard option here

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rahu posted:

My phone is a Linux with 2 gigs of ram and it runs Firefox v well, op

lmao

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

:tipshat: to all who actually answered my question whether non-red-hate distros can now configure them are selves to swap in a file without cjing

i still dk if there's anythign comparable to dynamic_pager (expands and contracts amount of space used by swapfiles as needed), which is the second essential component of behaving like a real desktop os, but whatevs

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it will create more swap than you have physical memory, so that in a worst-case scenario you can dump 100% of physical memory to swap

worrying that the amount of RAM in the system might change over "years" is the neckbeard option here

lol if u think amount of ram changing is what i care about

the idea that a fixed allocation is desirable in any way at all is horrible broken-by-design stupidity. and it's actually dumb everywhere, not just desktop

i'll give u a real world non desktop example so u can comprehend. my former employer only gave me 4gb ram in my linux desktop because they have rackmount linux compute servers to run the real poo poo on. these have a minimum 64gb ram, many have 96 or 128. lol if u think its appropriate to dedicate 128gb of a 300gb SAS disk (what most of them had) to swap. the guy who set them up guessed how much swap partition was needed but inevitably that guess was sometimes wrong

with dynamic allocation this is simply never an issue.

another example of dynamic allocation superiority: whoever installed linux unfortunately went along with the installer's preferred (?) partition layout which made a root FS partition just large enough for the distro with home dirs elsewhere, because everyone knows you should do that on a unix because that's the way the neckbeard prophets did it

turns out eda tools need a lot of disk space at /tmp, we had all kinds of fun with tools making GBS threads themselves in weird ways thanks to that fuckup. the minimum cost solution accounting for labor and disruption was of course to buy another disk and mount it on /tmp (lol), but the point is that ever needing to do this is super dumb when file systems are a thing.

dynamic allocation superior to static. if u dont get this please gtfo this thread and yospos tyvm

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 27, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

quote is not edit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only time you should ever touch swap, ever, is to dump kernel memory to disk. either for debugging, or for suspend/resume. this requires a fixed swap partition of known size to be immediately available w/out any code executing to create it

any other use of swap is a perversity.

it is not my fault your desktop is seriously loving hosed up. that is a problem with your employer not a problem with the sane defaults established by your distribution's installer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
fuckin lol at 4 gb in a developer desktop

you poor bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if what bsd is saying is true then how does swap/suspend/hibernate work on os x?