Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears would fit into Animal Crossing quite nicely.

The Dinette Set knows how to make a wardrobe work.

Working Daze isn't trying to hard on a Monday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oh god, this is making me light headed from laughter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, for what its worth, I know a guy from Portland who's obsessed with Nemi, and he's been a fan years before the strip even appeared here!

I was about to post about seeing English-language Nemi collections of older strips at Powell's the other day, but I looked them up and it looks like they were only published a few years ago. Where did people nerd out about international comics before these threads?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ha ha! Everyone who isn't a male engineer sure is a worthless idiot, am I right fellas?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ha ha! Everyone who isn't a male engineer sure is a worthless idiot, am I right fellas?

I guess it doesn't take much to offend a graphic designer :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze isn't trying to hard on a Monday morning.

Remind them all that they are expendable! :smith:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am a graphic designer and Dilbert pisses me off. I have yet to read today's strip, though. Futility, or, Comix.

Pooch Café

Wouldn't have expected his tail to go running off like that. Especially not before that one ear that's not even attached to his head.

Ballard Street

Me IRL. Overstuffed drawer full of envelopes and everything.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Advice we can all live by.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

"A woman cast a spell on me!"
"No, you're just an idiot."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"Now get the hell out of my tower so I can work out some sort of hair regrowing spell, drat kid."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As the Dilbert artist, I feel superior to graphic designers because

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does he even still draw/write it? It's by "Scott Adams, Inc".

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom
Alright, credit where credit is due - they did a pretty good job with that cliffhanger, although it ironically backfired a bit because I was sure something more interesting than "And then he got better, whatever" was going to happen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maybe Walker staggered into a city park while he was tripping balls on snake venom. Now he's surrounded by news crews and the skull rings are somewhere out in the jungle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goatface posted:

Does he even still draw/write it? It's by "Scott Adams, Inc".

That's just the copyright info. Dilbert is big enough that he would want to shield himself personally from any business failures that may come from it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Alright, credit where credit is due - they did a pretty good job with that cliffhanger, although it ironically backfired a bit because I was sure something more interesting than "And then he got better, whatever" was going to happen.

I think it's going to go into something about Kit thinking he lost the rings at this point.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 22, 1927)

Peanuts (October 26, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 9-10, 1925)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The actual strip for The Phantom today:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Required reading (and listening) for anyone who doesn't know about Animal Crossing:
http://lparchive.org/Animal-Crossing/Update%201/

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It says a lot about Hal Foster that his version of Prince Val is gritty, hilarious, and moves at a quick clip, while the modern version has stuck about a hundred characters on a tiny rock for months and I can't care at this rate. It's time for Val to die.

Bleeker tells the same joke twice.

Pickles goes "OOO-WEE" before it lights up.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's going to go into something about Kit thinking he lost the rings at this point.
At which point he goes frantically digging through the jungle undergrowth to find them, and gets bitten by another snake! But there's no time to identify what snake it is, so he flings it off into the distance and keeps searching, and then takes all of the antivenom again, gets loopy and hallucinates again, and this time bequeaths his stripey panties of justice to his son...

...this storyline could carry us into 2016, is what I'm saying.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

"My brother is a vet."

Mister Beeg posted:

And yeah, Reddick knows obscure cartoons. On Facebook he did a sketch of Deputy Dawg, a 1960s Terrytoons cartoon. But that's not unusual. I'm 24 (25 this November) and I know a shitton of obscure cartoons.

I'm still kind of horrified how much I learned about cartoons from this thread. And how readily I can recall information from this thread. I credited this thread a year or so ago with helping me pull the pub trivia team I was on in grad school through to victory (and a keg of beer) because one of the half-time picture question had 'Name the comic strip' as a question;

We swept 23/24 on the comic strips (we missed N, which they gave the answer for, but I can't remember. Pop quiz for the topic!).

I know most of those aren't obscure at all, but the trivia round is timed and me being able to reel off the top half of the sheet as fast as I could write gave us ample time to work through the movie frames that made up the bottom half.

So yeah, again, thank you all for helping enable the drinking problem my friends and I developed in reaction to grad school. :cheers:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtStorm posted:

"My brother is a vet."

I'm still kind of horrified how much I learned about cartoons from this thread. And how readily I can recall information from this thread. I credited this thread a year or so ago with helping me pull the pub trivia team I was on in grad school through to victory (and a keg of beer) because one of the half-time picture question had 'Name the comic strip' as a question;

We swept 23/24 on the comic strips (we missed N, which they gave the answer for, but I can't remember. Pop quiz for the topic!).

I know most of those aren't obscure at all, but the trivia round is timed and me being able to reel off the top half of the sheet as fast as I could write gave us ample time to work through the movie frames that made up the bottom half.

So yeah, again, thank you all for helping enable the drinking problem my friends and I developed in reaction to grad school. :cheers:

I missed T because it's blurry.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hooray for Santy Claus!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I had to squint a bit, but it looks like Shoe, that pseudo-political comic about birds.

The one they missed is I think called Tiger. It's just another generic kids-say-precocious-things comic.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Redeye Flight posted:

I had to squint a bit, but it looks like Shoe, that pseudo-political comic about birds.

The one they missed is I think called Tiger. It's just another generic kids-say-precocious-things comic.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has run every one of those comics at some point in my life. They used to have such a good comics page :sigh:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Redeye Flight posted:

Yeah, T is Shoe, and with that prompting I can confirm N was Tiger.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Originally the comic posted only on working days- basically any day you have to go the office. Art does get reused sometimes, but you have to pay close attention. Hm, what other factoids are there...right now we're in late 2009, and the writer/artist is Park Sung-hoon. Don't bother searching for his name- it's a common one so Google will only tell you about the other more conventionally famous ones.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (October 27 and 29, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (August 30-September 1, 1951)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

So basically Ted made a really good Zoidberg costume, then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

So the dude Spider-Man beat up has come to save his life again. Wow. The Ox is a better person than Peter is; instead of punching out the dude who saved his life, he's here to return the favor. Even though when Spider-Man saved his life he also saved Spider-Man's so they're already kind of even, barring Ox owing Spidey a good punch to the face.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Barney Google and Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Paradise Valley RV Park is obviously a nickname for that Wal-Mart's parking lot.

9 Chickweed Lane

You know what would help move this story move along? More flashbacks.

Pibgorn

Zachary Nixon Johnson

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

This is so painfully accurate. One night without my retainers and wearing them the next night is an exercise in torture. It's amazing how quickly your teeth want to move back to their idea of "correct"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BROK MCALDONY IS BAD BAD COMICS MANS

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Prisencolinensinainciusol is a thing of beauty.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County gets away clean with a bad bit of word-play.

Calvin And Hobbes stay cosmocentric, mostly.

Just want to point out that the first day from this set was also the debut of Curtis! If I'd been able to find a complete archive somewhere, I'd add it to my line-up, but you'll have to settle for The Curtis Comic Strip Wiki.

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"Oh heck! Not again! Someone's watching Kung Pow!"

• Locked thread