Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Half of Harvey Dent.

Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

That's only if you're talking about Aaron Eckhart.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

He's a little past well done if you ask me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah which of Batman's villains were black again?

Black Mask :smugbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Killer Croc is black, so Batman is not only racist but also speciest

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ManiacClown posted:

That's only if you're talking about Aaron Eckhart.

Av post combo making me laugh

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

a recent "Rip Haywire" strip, as posted in the Comic Strip Megathread XV. Last words and confidence.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Predator has been killing Judges and got tracked to the undercity.

It's injured, but still alive. Judge Dredd will take care of that.

There's some fighting, some more napalm, Dredd rips his shirt off.

And the final showdown.

Predator vs. Judge Dredd #3

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Cred to that, making both combatants come across as bad rear end :golfclap:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't include it, but the psychic tells Dredd that the Predator was hurt and dying, on Earth for one last hunt and an honorable death. It also knew that the gun would explode. And before it died, it took out a few of Dredd's men and two heavy armor mech units. So, yeah, evenly matched!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers #36

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So, who's the Atomic Diaper?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Green Intern posted:

I'm guessing Hyperion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

A new, alternate version of Hyperion who was stolen from the space between destroyed universes by AIM, and now part of Hickman's Avengers team. He is besties with Thor and a good dude.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Avengers #36

Beard Broforce. I really like how they made Nukeular Superman avoid the mullet with a pony tail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone should post the panels from the recent annual that shows how Hyperion deals with a kidnapper.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Someone should post the panels from the recent annual that shows how Hyperion deals with a kidnapper.

That wasn't an annual. It was 34.1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dredd versus one of the Dark Judges

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

9 year old Temuchin, who will one day be Genghis Khan, goes to confront his half-brother who has been robbing the younger siblings of the food they catch.

from Chinggis Khan by Mitsuteru Yokoyama

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Jiro posted:

Beard Broforce. I really like how they made Nukeular Superman avoid the mullet with a pony tail.

I feel like this Thor look is going to be maligned in 10-15 years like most of his horrible '90s looks are now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jetfire posted:

I feel like this Thor look is going to be maligned in 10-15 years like most of his horrible '90s looks are now.

But he'll be better written. And that's the important part.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

GorfZaplen posted:

9 year old Temuchin, who will one day be Genghis Khan, goes to confront his half-brother who has been robbing the younger siblings of the food they catch.

Samurai Jack, noooo- :ohdear:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

GorfZaplen posted:

I can't help but think of Throne of Blood seeing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvVzvoEx4w Spoilers in that video for the film.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Those were real arrows. Kurosawa was a dick sometimes.
Edit: Oh you didn't show the full scene. The ones stuck in his body were not real, but there were actual archers shooting at poor Tishiro Mifune.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Ghengis, school schootings arent the answer!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

VanSandman posted:

Those were real arrows. Kurosawa was a dick sometimes.
Edit: Oh you didn't show the full scene. The ones stuck in his body were not real, but there were actual archers shooting at poor Tishiro Mifune.

Oh I know full well those were real archers shooting at Mifune and every gesuture was him showing which way to shoot. I will never not :spergin: about my adoration for Mifune and Kurosawa so don't even get me started.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
terrible artwork and 90's character designs aside:

found on tumblr, not sure of which of the marvel/dc crossovers this was from

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Heresiarch posted:

The first major event, I believe. There were small crossovers here and there. One between Spiderman and Batman is referenced by the Joker.
Wonder Woman first picked up the hammer in MvDC issue 2 and turned into a bad Skyrim mod. Then she's set against Storm in issue 3...

Storm fries WW 2 pages later for the win.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Best costume ever, we could all learn from such design and austere aesthetics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chinaman7000 posted:

Best costume ever, we could all learn from such design and austere aesthetics.

And Storm's costume isn't bad either! :downsrim:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Heresiarch posted:

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The first major event, I believe. There were small crossovers here and there. One between Spiderman and Batman is referenced by the Joker.
Wonder Woman first picked up the hammer in MvDC issue 2 and turned into a bad Skyrim mod. Then she's set against Storm in issue 3...

Apparently, Thor never read the fine print on his hammer. It clearly says, "...if HE be worthy..." Women are exempted from having to be worthy to wield the power of Thor. Lawyered.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wa11y posted:

Apparently, Thor never read the fine print on his hammer. It clearly says, "...if HE be worthy..." Women are exempted from having to be worthy to wield the power of Thor. Lawyered.

It said "if THEY be worthy" for decades actually so no real nerd says that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wa11y posted:

At the end of MvsDC the hammer was shown to now say "If He or She Be Worthy". Not that it stuck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When the new Thor picked up the hammer the wording changed to "She" from he.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That Ignorant Sap posted:

That just seems ridiculous.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

prefect posted:

That just seems ridiculous.

Those fights were decided by fan vote, so most of them are pretty odd, like Wolverine beating Lobo. That one was apparently such a head twister for the writers that it happened entirely of panel.

I mean, I get that you shouldn't expect too much of a fan showdown and that Lobo is a joke character anyway, but if actually do fanservice like this, you should actually put enough effort into it that the fans end up really enjoying it. A mindless beatdown without rhyme or reason isn't exactly something that will be remembered forever. Compared, for example, with the excellent JLA/Avengers, which was so good, not only is it fondly remembered by fans, it actual stayed in continuity for quite some time (At least for pre-52 DC).

edit: Huh, this isn't entirely correct, while some battles, like Wolverine v.s Lobo were determined by votes, Wonder Woman vs. Storm apparently wasn't. That makes it even dumber.

e X fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

e X posted:

Those fights were decided by fan vote, so most of them are pretty odd, like Wolverine beating Lobo. That one was apparently such a head twister for the writers that it happened entirely of panel.

I mean, I get that you shouldn't expect too much of a fan showdown and that Lobo is a joke character anyway, but if actually do fanservice like this, you should actually put enough effort into it that the fans end up really enjoying it. A mindless beatdown without rhyme or reason isn't exactly something that will be remembered forever. Compared, for example, with the excellent JLA/Avengers, which was so good, not only is it fondly remembered by fans, it actual stayed in continuity for quite some time (At least for pre-52 DC).

edit: Huh, this isn't entirely correct, while some battles, like Wolverine v.s Lobo were determined by votes, Wonder Woman vs. Storm apparently wasn't. That makes it even dumber.

That wiki lists Storm and Wonder Woman as a fan battle, and I'm sure it was. While I'm open to correction on this, I remember the fan vote card had five fights on it, with the fifth voting fight being Batman and Captain America.
From memory Batman and Superman won their polls, but the Marvel guys won the other three bouts. (Due to popularity and all.) It also allowed Marvel to run ad campaigns afterwards saying that they won (but had a good time doing so.)

As for JLAvengers, it's a good story, but it's not fondly remembered by all fans. I can remember the absolute fan outrage by many Marvel fans over what they felt was a selling out by Kurt Busiek and a chumping out of Marvel characters*. (There were some who swore up and down that he "sold out" out the Marvel side so that he would get the high profile job of writing Justice League afterwards.) The Alvaro and Comic Book Resources boards were particularly toxic for a long while after those issues came out.

I should point out that I liked the story, and it does hold up well. But then again I think Marvel/DC is still pretty good in a very goofy, 90's kind of way.

*= It was stuff like "Thor straight up loses to Superman. But Batman and Captain America just decide to team up without getting a similar marquis fight. Galactus is effortlessly crushed by Krona." There was a feeling that all the DC guys were portrayed as stronger/ more domineering than the Marvel guys in all their fights.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 28, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
DC character chump the gently caress out of Marvel, though.

The JL alone has GoesFastMan, SuperGoku, PlansForEverythingMan, and Goku-but-telepathic-and-also-a-shapeshifter.

The only thing close that Marvel has on its day-to-day would be Sentry?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

The JL alone has GoesFastMan, SuperGoku, PlansForEverythingMan, and Goku-but-telepathic-and-also-a-shapeshifter.

Yeah, The Avengers were pretty much chumped out quite recently to Not-The Justice League in New Avengers Vol 3 #20, that is until Strange went all Lovecraft and had Cthulhu eat them.

I was surprised by Not-Dr Fate's alter-ego apparently being Harry Potter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I mean I love Marvel to death but the JLA are almost entirely in a weight class above the Avengers.

Anyone who whines about JLA/Avengers is being a big stupid baby. It was easily the best crossover we're ever going to get between the two companies, and treated both sides very fairly without copping to a lot of bullshit.