Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

JackKnight posted:

T'was not my intent to troll.

The author is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

ulvir posted:

Good for you, but they're still not morons, so stop acting like you're above them.

I use the term liberally for the lack of a better way to describe "monointelligence" which is a word I just made up.
I am not acting above them. Not in all my posts have I said I was above such a person. In fact I have explicitly stated that I was a blue collar moron. And that I wanted to rise up out of that quagmire of mental stagnation.

Perhaps I haven't set the right mental picture here. I grew up on a foothill in SC down the road from a whole group of redneck hillbillies. By redneck hillbillies I mean blue collar loving idiot morons who don't know up from down. My mother poisoned and/or shot their dogs, and we had an ongoing dispute with them about nearly everything else. Those people I am above. Same with the idiot fuckwits who claim to be car mechanics, and can't even describe a part properly, or any of thousands of other people I have met who are just loving morons.

That said, I am still a monointelligent (moronic imbecile) person, because I have allowed my mind to become lazy. I am only currently good at one thing, and that is driving my semi truck. :-)

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

JackKnight posted:

T'was not my intent to troll.

I'm not upset, it's been entertaining. These arguments you've been making in the midst of a bunch of snobs in a thread dedicated to bemoaning the quality of the books that most of TBB appear to read, though ....

JackKnight posted:

I use the term liberally for the lack of a better way to describe "monointelligence" which is a word I just made up.
I am not acting above them. Not in all my posts have I said I was above such a person. In fact I have explicitly stated that I was a blue collar moron. And that I wanted to rise up out of that quagmire of mental stagnation.

Perhaps I haven't set the right mental picture here. I grew up on a foothill in SC down the road from a whole group of redneck hillbillies. By redneck hillbillies I mean blue collar loving idiot morons who don't know up from down. My mother poisoned and/or shot their dogs, and we had an ongoing dispute with them about nearly everything else. Those people I am above. Same with the idiot fuckwits who claim to be car mechanics, and can't even describe a part properly, or any of thousands of other people I have met who are just loving morons.

That said, I am still a monointelligent (moronic imbecile) person, because I have allowed my mind to become lazy. I am only currently good at one thing, and that is driving my semi truck. :-)

Your having explicitly stated that you're above blue collar morons is obviated by the fact that you claim to be one while using a decidedly high level of vocabulary. So maybe in not so many words, but you've definitely cast yourself above them.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

O litty peeps of litty brains so full
Impart thy wisdom, bring me knowledge deep
So that I may embiggenate my skull
With Words to make the plebs fall fast asleep

JackKnight, read literature for the profound insights, for the people and places of interest and for the artistic mastery, not for your personal superiority. It's painfully clear you're simply arrogant and young, with little insight into the infinite richness of everyone's constitutions, which gives you an illusion of higher status, and that with little other evidence to show for your blatant betterness, you plan to spew Elizabethan English in a lofty tone to prove yourself. Well don't. Authors put too much work, critics too much reading time, for the vast world of reading to be reduced to a boring ego-boost. If you do actually start reading and taking in those various recommendations we gave you, you'll realise that.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

JackKnight posted:

By redneck hillbillies I mean blue collar loving idiot morons who don't know up from down. My mother poisoned and/or shot their dogs, and we had an ongoing dispute with them about nearly everything else. Those people I am above.

Your mum's hosed up, hth

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JackKnight posted:

Aye this is a good example of both why I intend to memorize things and also describes one way our current education system is failing us. Better education indeed.

Do you not understand basic math or something? While educational institutions of the past certainly required more rote memorization of poetry, study of the classical languages, and so on than they do today, far fewer people had any kind of access to educational institutions, at all. Claiming that "less and less" people are using language to it's full potential today simply makes no sense at all. There are certainly a lot of people studying these things today in modern educational institutions, and from a much wider swath of society than who had access to any kind of education in early America.

quote:

I think perhaps you are correct here on one point. My original thoughts were on the times of Shakespeare (around the 1500s on up) wherever they hailed from, and not necessarily American English as it was during the time of colonization, since as I understand it the early settlers were mostly commoners without a good deal of education.

Your original point actually was based on the content of presidential speeches so no, I doubt you were thinking about Shakespeare. That said, in Shakespearean England it was similarly the case that the vast majority of the population had no access to formal education, so your argument would still make no sense in that setting either. Most people were uneducated peasants, and you'd have likely demonstrated the same attitude towards them that you now demonstrate to your modern neighbors.

JackKnight posted:

Perhaps I haven't set the right mental picture here. I grew up on a foothill in SC down the road from a whole group of redneck hillbillies. By redneck hillbillies I mean blue collar loving idiot morons who don't know up from down.

But in your imagination, apparently, the redneck hillbillies in 1789 or in 1614 would have been smarter people more likely to be using the English language to its full potential? :confused:

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 25, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
If I love Invisible Cities by Calvino, for its incredible descriptions of imaginary concepts and the sheer sense of awe it inspires, what other relatively thin book would I enjoy? I am currently chewing on the delicious buffet that is Calvino's Italian Folktales and by god, I love folktales from foreign countries.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

toanoradian posted:

If I love Invisible Cities by Calvino, for its incredible descriptions of imaginary concepts and the sheer sense of awe it inspires, what other relatively thin book would I enjoy? I am currently chewing on the delicious buffet that is Calvino's Italian Folktales and by god, I love folktales from foreign countries.

You would definitely love the short stories of Borges. His stories from the Ficciones and El Aleph collections also deal with imaginary concepts, histories, and objects, etc. and later on he became a bit more focused on mythology as well especially early Saxon myths and epic poems. And most of them are quite short, easily readable in an hour or two.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

toanoradian posted:

I am p. sure you'll love Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo and Bruno Schulz's stories.

Dino Buzzati's Tartar Steppe is a bit longer but you might also enjoy it. Don't try to memorise it, though, because seriously, what the gently caress

Edit. Talking about Borges and novellas: anybody read Adolfo Bioy Casares's Invention of Morel? NYRB edition has an introduction by Borges and illustrations by Borges's sister, so if you want to keep it in the family...

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 25, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I can't enjoy fiction anymore, for some reason. I'm not having fun no matter what I try to get into. This makes me quite sad given that I used to be a huge bookworm 'till my mid-late teens. I still read a lot of non-fiction, though. Kind of weird (or not?), considering I'm having even more fun with poetry than ever before.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I can't enjoy fiction anymore, for some reason. I'm not having fun no matter what I try to get into. This makes me quite sad given that I used to be a huge bookworm 'till my mid-late teens. I still read a lot of non-fiction, though. Kind of weird (or not?), considering I'm having even more fun with poetry than ever before.

Earwicker posted:

You would definitely love the short stories of Borges. His stories from the Ficciones and El Aleph collections also deal with imaginary concepts, histories, and objects, etc. and later on he became a bit more focused on mythology as well especially early Saxon myths and epic poems. And most of them are quite short, easily readable in an hour or two.

I like Ficciones but it always feels like he could accomplish so much more with his ideas if he actually tried to grow them into something beyond 'hey, this sounds interesting!'.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 25, 2014

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic is wonderful and very folk tale-y and reminds me a lot of Borges who Earwicker suggested but I just realised you said thin so err not that I guess. Read Borges.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can just pretend a thick book is just a lot of thin books pressed together.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic is wonderful and very folk tale-y and reminds me a lot of Borges who Earwicker suggested but I just realised you said thin so err not that I guess. Read Borges.

Dictionary of the Khazars is fairly thin actually, though it depends on whether you read it linearly or not.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Everyone who likes nonlinear books should read Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Read Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.

Then pop some acid and read it again, it'll make so much more sense

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I tried reading Alice under acid. Then I realized that there are so many more interesting things than books. Like the toilet bowl.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

Then I realized that there are so many more interesting things than books. Like the toilet bowl.

It's just how it is.

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't know, is there some point to this book other than his final inference? I guess he's trying to make a solid argument but it's not really some ground-shaking revelation (I mean, it's the truth that has been repeated so many times over in some many different cultures/religions/etc). It's more like he's trying to convince himself.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's pretty groundbreaking.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Of course there's some point other than his final inference otherwise he woulldn't write the book. He didn't come up with the idea then write 100 pages of faff to make it seem good, he's trying to logically expound the point that there's a fundamental flaw in the way we think about language, and use it to talk about philosophy, while recognising the fact that in doing so he is using language to talk about philosophy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Also he debunks a lot of contemporary and even later philosophy in an off-hand kind of way. Like, logical positivism? Ain't no thang. Essentialism? Dead and buried. It's one of my favourite books, because he somehow manages to completely undermine so many people's life's works in a fairly short and sweet book which isn't even structured like a normal loving text and is full of slogans.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

toanoradian posted:

2nding the Borges and Milorad Pavic recs. I'd also suggest Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad stories. Not quite the exact same "Imaginary History" feel, but similar in appeal, and also short. Also Ted Chiang, maybe? His latest story actually directly references one of Lem's.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Thanks for the recommendation, everyone. By the time I posted my last post I was just literally finishing Garden of the Forking Paths and I have to say that while the idea of a world where all future possibilities happen interesting, the story itself doesn't catch me. Maybe his other stories are better. Is Collected Fictions the way to go with Borges' stories?

V. Illych L. posted:

If I read that, plus Philosophical Investigations, while on acid, while not knowing anything about philosophy at all beyond "Some guys before Plato thought fire are made of triangles", would this be a good way to spend my evening?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

toanoradian posted:

If I read that, plus Philosophical Investigations, while on acid, while not knowing anything about philosophy at all beyond "Some guys before Plato thought fire are made of triangles", would this be a good way to spend my evening?

Yes, the philosophical investigations are great fun.

what is this drawing of?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Belgian posted:

what is this drawing of?

It is a drawing of two things:

1. A curvy line
2. A dot

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you have no soul

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Belgian posted:

Yes, the philosophical investigations are great fun.

what is this drawing of?

Pun Pun.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Is Proust's In Search of Lost Time a worthy endeavor?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

stepeight posted:

Is Proust's In Search of Lost Time a worthy endeavor?

Yes.

Reading it for me is always a somewhat sisyphean task though. I've made three or four attempts and I get further and further in each time but never actually make it to the end. Still a worthwhile endeavor though! I believe that the sisyphean reader is happy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe that the sisyphean reader is happy.

Actually it's a real pain in the rear end to hold all those books with one hand while trying to push the boulder with the other

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

Actually it's a real pain in the rear end to hold all those books with one hand while trying to push the boulder with the other

Maybe if he pushes with his back he can use both hands for reading. Also he only needs to hold one volume at a time, he can leave the others at the base of the hill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

amuayse posted:

I'm starting to try and get a crack at the Mabinogion again. Anyone know a good translation for it?

This is from the last page, but I've read a few different versions of the Mabinogion and honestly the one I liked best was Evangeline Walton's near-total rewrite -- basically she adapts it into "Clan of the Cave Bear" style historical fiction, with fantasy and magical elements. It's a neat treatment.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The best part of the Mabinogian is there is some dude who cannot die unless he is shot with an arrow made of a certain kind of wood while he has one foot on the edge of a bathtub and the other on the back of a pig. Something like that. And then someone actually tricks him into doing that and kills him!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Try balancing them on your head, it's good for your deportment.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm reading Goethe's Faust I now after reading the Urfaust. I'm enjoying it a lot though so far I like the Urfaust more.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The Belgian posted:

I'm reading Goethe's Faust I now after reading the Urfaust. I'm enjoying it a lot though so far I like the Urfaust more.

Are you gonna read doctor faustus next

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

mango gay touchies posted:

Are you gonna read doctor faustus next

I read a short story by Mann and didn't like it very much, so probably not.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Everyone who likes nonlinear books should read Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar.

I'm reading this. It's good

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Belgian posted:

I read a short story by Mann and didn't like it very much, so probably not.

Dr. Faustus is by Marlowe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kit's Big Book of Fart Jokes with the Devil