Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
On Poll test/taxchat: Isn't the origin of the term "Grandfather clause." If your grandfather voted you were exempt from these tests? Oh, your grandfather was a slave, well that's just too bad he didn't vote. Here's the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Luigi Thirty posted:

In a free society there are no taxes so why the hell do you need tax collectors?

It's in the bible, that makes it ok.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If anyone is interested in taking a gander in the most vapid political profile I've read in a while, you might want to peruse a recent copy of the Washington Post, and their recent cover (front page!) of Joni Ernst's campaign.

Wherein you learn such interesting tid-bits as:

quote:

“What are your hobbies?” she reads out loud. “Campaigning. Campaigning is my latest hobby.”

“Hugging,” a staffer offers.

“Hugging.”

Also more murder by cow than I expected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ba29_story.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that the pig castrating lady?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

loquacius posted:

We should just have a private corporation handle all functions of government, and hold elections to choose a new CEO and new shareholders every few years in order to preserve the spirit of democracy.

What, we don't do that now?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shageletic posted:

If anyone is interested in taking a gander in the most vapid political profile I've read in a while, you might want to peruse a recent copy of the Washington Post, and their recent cover (front page!) of Joni Ernst's campaign.
This is local and sort of the opposite of that, but the Republican running for the NY senate 34th district has that Ann Rand big picture I-come-from-a-terrible-place-let-me-make-your-place-terrible-in-the-opposite-way posture. His flyer leads with the fact that he is not a politician, he is an actor. GREAT!
http://www.alexmici.com/

In person he is sort of scary-intense like that "impossible is nothing" guy (who I guess died of a heart attack, upon googling just now).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That sounds both internally consistent and horrifying.

It's the actual position of many religions. Until this latest synod, it was the position of the Catholic Church that homosexuals were "intrinsically disordered", which is why they could not be welcomed to, comforted by, or allowed to serve within the HRCC. "Intrinsically disordered" meaning that they were predisposed to sin no matter what. More so than original sin. Under the doctrine of "intrinsic disorder" just existing is effectively a sin since it is read as anything you do tends towards sinfulness.

Francis struck it from the terminology on becoming a priest shortly after he ascended to the papacy (shortly after his "who am I to judge" comment, in terms of catholic dogma this was a bigger deal than the comment itself though it got less attention). The latest pastoral synod addresses how the church is to welcome and comfort homosexuals, now while engaging in homosexual acts is a sin, just being one isn't, and it covers engaging with them as any other original sinner (everyone) and offers counsel on how to minister to their specific concerns (temporal, spiritual, and dealing with the perception and damage wrought by the past few decades)

While HRCC doctrine still has "intrinsically disordered" and the condemnation of homosexuality, the writing is in the wall for a doctrinal change as well, barring Francis no longer being pope and the hardliners ascending.

Still, it's not all good news. When Francis convened this synod, he changed up the moderators and organizers, replacing the much more aggressively hardline Americans with people more in line with himself. The Americans have been pretty vocal in fighting back against Francis, being tightly tied in with the conservative political apparatus here and wanting to push their line (eg these were the assholes who denied democrats communion and declared for all churches to do so, which is something the HRCC is not supposed to do, post 1870s). After a few press releases and interviews during the synod, their latest response was to alter the translation of the synod into English in significant ways that really undercut the rulings. They basically removed the part in welcoming homosexuals and gutted the part on ministering to them into a much smaller section on "addressing" them instead of "welcoming" them.

Fun fact, the doctrine of "intrinsically disordered" was added to HRCC doctrine by then Cardinal Ratzinger.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have any of the TeaParty true believer states proposed privitizing their state's tax collection yet?

I'm honestly surprised tax farming hasn't been proposed yet. I mean, it's right in the thick of all the other batshit stuff they propose. I guess selling off toll roads is halfway there, but it isn't the kind of stuff we saw in Europe until the 1890s

Joementum posted:

Apparently the Federal government tried this in 1872 and it went exactly how you'd expect.

Honestly that went infinitely better than I would have expected. Historically it was the source of some of the worst poo poo we've seen

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_farming

The government figures it should see x, the collector values things so it can collect y, it's private so there's no oversight, and can use as much force as it likes to get the job done in the name of the state.

Anyone who wants to complain "taxation is theft" ain't seen nothing yet compared to the theft and abuse seen under a system of tax farming.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 27, 2014

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Privatized tax collection has been attempted in pretty recent memory at the federal level. The programs were widely regarded as a failure. I know privatizing of collections has happened in some municipalities, dunno about the state level. Republicans occasionally kick up dust about restarting the federal thing.

e: Looks like this is not just a Republican thing, the most recent noise I'm seeing on Google about it involves a bill from Ron Wyden. Also Chuck Schumer.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

duz posted:

It's in the bible, that makes it ok.

And thus Jesus said to them, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's unless Caesar is a Nubian."

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Luigi Thirty posted:

And thus Jesus said to them, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's unless Caesar is a Nubian."

What's a Nubian?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Well, Pink Floyd were rich Brit rockstars in the late 60s, so they probably complained about taxes at some point. But it's more likely that libertarians don't understand nuance and context, so they think vague anti-fascism is anti-government. Also, they are invariably poseurs, so they probably never listened to The Final Cut and heard Waters' opinions on Reagan and Thatcher.

Surely they listened to Dogs and Pigs (Three Different Ones) though?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What's a Nubian?

Every time someone tries to make a fuss about Lena Dunham, I remember that every generation has its own writer/director/actor auteur to speak for it, and mine was Kevin Smith.

Glass houses, stones, etc.

Edit: alternatively, since we are a bunch of goons, it is a starship company from the mis rim whose products are prized as personal state transport by the galactic elite, such as the royal house of Naboo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Privatized tax collection has been attempted in pretty recent memory at the federal level. The programs were widely regarded as a failure. I know privatizing of collections has happened in some municipalities, dunno about the state level. Republicans occasionally kick up dust about restarting the federal thing.

e: Looks like this is not just a Republican thing, the most recent noise I'm seeing on Google about it involves a bill from Ron Wyden. Also Chuck Schumer.

Well they've already contracted out filing your taxes to Turbotax et al instead of having a single official government questionnaire so we've got these rich groups with an interest in the status quo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Is that the pig castrating lady?

Yup.

pangstrom posted:

This is local and sort of the opposite of that, but the Republican running for the NY senate 34th district has that Ann Rand big picture I-come-from-a-terrible-place-let-me-make-your-place-terrible-in-the-opposite-way posture. His flyer leads with the fact that he is not a politician, he is an actor. GREAT!
http://www.alexmici.com/

In person he is sort of scary-intense like that "impossible is nothing" guy (who I guess died of a heart attack, upon googling just now).

Reading his manifesto, its a lot of fun for a lot of reasons (like not making sense on a sentence to sentence basis). Worth a read, just to remind you of that idiot roommate from college who used to talk about how Kant proves that religion is under attack in America or something.

Also, in yet another debate debacle this season, things aren't too friendly down in the Washington metro area.

quote:

A crowd of Northern Virginians turned rowdy at a debate between congressional candidates Barbara Comstock and John Foust on Sunday afternoon, with audience members booing and telling each other to “shut up” amid moderators’ unheeded calls for quiet.

The hissing and cheering punctuated a McLean debate that featured salvos between the candidates aiming to replace retiring Rep. Frank R. Wolf (R) in Virginia’s 10th Congressional District. Foust, a Fairfax County supervisor who has struggled to match state Del. Comstock’s polish on the stump, debuted a far more aggressive approach, attacking his rival repeatedly as a “hyperpartisan operative.”

quote:

Comstock was not given an opportunity to respond to those comments, after a moderator cited limited time left in a debate scheduled to last 90 minutes. That decision sparked anger from her supporters in the audience, and the applause and murmured complaints heard throughout the event became a revolt of heckling boos. Foust’s closing statement was interrupted by shouts so many times that he was offered an opportunity to start over.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4c67_story.html

BTW, if Comstock wins in a district habited by a shitload of federal workers, it pretty much puts the last nail on the idea that the government shutdown would have electoral ramifications.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What's a Nubian?

An African.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's a Nubian?

Someone from "Nubia", which would be anywhere south of Egypt. The land where gold grows on trees and all that.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Yup.

Reading his manifesto, its a lot of fun for a lot of reasons (like not making sense on a sentence to sentence basis). Worth a read, just to remind you of that idiot roommate from college who used to talk about how Kant proves that religion is under attack in America or something.

Also, in yet another debate debacle this season, things aren't too friendly down in the Washington metro area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4c67_story.html

BTW, if Comstock wins in a district habited by a shitload of federal workers, it pretty much puts the last nail on the idea that the government shutdown would have electoral ramifications.

It's an R+2 district and Generic Congressional Ballot is currently running something like R+3, so the fundamentals would suggest Comstock winning by 5, right?

I think in terms of electoral ramifications, the timing of the shutdown is a key factor. In today's 24/7 cable-news world, it feels like stuff from 6 months ago may as well have been 6 years ago sometimes. So long as Republicans don't shut down the government in the summer or fall of an election year, it'll be old news by election time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SquadronROE posted:

I actually just usually write in either Joementum or Lowtax.
If you aren't writing in Lizard People you're doing it wrong.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As someone that lives close to that area a percentage of federal workers are idiots that think all the OTHER federal workers are the lazy ones getting a free ride, see also teachers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Well they've already contracted out filing your taxes to Turbotax et al instead of having a single official government questionnaire so we've got these rich groups with an interest in the status quo.

And guess who lobbies heavily against every effort to simplify the tax process? Not that TurboTax is doing anything CPAs haven't been up to forever.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

VikingofRock posted:

Surely they listened to Dogs and Pigs (Three Different Ones) though?

Nah, they only jam Dark Side and The Wall, and before you ask, yes, they take "Money" seriously. :v:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

What's a Nubian?

BLACK RAGE!!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
In diamond Joe news:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, they only jam Dark Side and The Wall, and before you ask, yes, they take "Money" seriously. :v:

And think "Another Brick in the Wall" is an indictment of public education.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

joeburz posted:

Too bad it's not good unless it's fresh as can be, probably one of the only good things about New England.
Live lobsters are shipped from Maine to Louisville Kentucky so they can be plucked out of the water at 10PM, on a UPS plane at 11PM, and back in a water tank at 6 AM. Still alive. It's amazing how they can survive the trip.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

CannonFodder posted:

Live lobsters are shipped from Maine to Louisville Kentucky so they can be plucked out of the water at 10PM, on a UPS plane at 11PM, and back in a water tank at 6 AM. Still alive. It's amazing how they can survive the trip.

Nothing like taking one right from a keeper trap to the kitchen. Almost makes up for every lovely thing about new england.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I thought Rush was the poster band for lolbertarianism.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Lobster isn't that great though. Now CRABS, man it's nice living in MD for those. Too bad I don't eat meat anymore. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arthropods aren't meat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Lobster isn't that great though. Now CRABS, man it's nice living in MD for those. Too bad I don't eat meat anymore. :shrug:

Shellfish are nightmare creatures whose only redeeming factor is how delicious they are. Eat them. :colbert:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have Catholic family in Louisiana, so it's always fun to talk about Lent. "Lent means you can only eat fish, and gator. No land meat."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

loquacius posted:

Shellfish are nightmare creatures whose only redeeming factor is how delicious they are. Eat them. :colbert:

zoux posted:

Arthropods aren't meat.

If it has a cute face and beady, little eyes then its meat.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I don't consider insects to be meat, and sea insects are no different.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

loquacius posted:

Shellfish are nightmare creatures whose only redeeming factor is how delicious they are.how far under the ocean they are. Their disgusting flavor and revolting texture are a reminder not to [e]at them. :colbert:

Fixed this for you.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Mayhaps we should nuke the ocean from orbit, goonsire?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Capybara was classified as a fish since Conquistadors wanted to eat it on Fridays.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

The Capybara was classified as a fish since Conquistadors wanted to eat it on Fridays.

That's hilarious if true.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It was once thought that goose barnacles and barnacle geese were different stages in the life cycle in the same animal, and therefore barnacle geese were OK for Lent because they technically weren't birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Uh how do you know these geese come from barnacles?"
"Because they're called BARNACLE GEESE fucktard. Jesus Christ."

• Locked thread