Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It was episode one of the Shadow Line.

Hey you know what?

You are exactly right, I don't know why I didn't remember that when I was looking through wikipedia and google today (I considered and skipped The Shadow Line like 10 times) but I was remembering the first scene of The Shadow Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not a good show. The guy did another one called The Honourable Woman and it also sucks.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not a good show. The guy did another one called The Honourable Woman and it also sucks.

What's so bad about it? I've never seen anything past the opening scene.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dumbass twist out of nowhere.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It turns out she's actually a huge slut.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

It turns out she's actually a huge slut.
So it's actually secretly about gamergate

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

So it's actually secretly about gamergate

No, it's about ethics.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

:eyepop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare: Nice work.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

:vince:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nope, none of that video game bullshit in here.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Better add that to the thread title.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Might be easier just to list what is okay.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
TV and couches.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lycus posted:

TV and couches.

Vertical integration.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lycus posted:

TV and couches.

All I have is a double decker couch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

3) piper is kind of a terrible main character, even as the stand-in "in way over her head character" she can be mega insufferable and she's surrounded by people far, far more interesting than her

5) this feels like it has the same problem that weeds did where it views the penitentiary system from that same weirdly sanitized faux-edgy view that weeds viewed the drug trade, like it's very much a white perspective on the horrors of prison over say oz or the wire, which both felt more practical and realistic

White people write prison shows like this, black people write prison shows like this. Also that's pretty much what the book is from what I've heard.

But yes Piper is a terrible character, the show gets a lot better about knowing that in season 2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

With all the anticipation over what show would be first to die this season a few pages ago, seems like this flew under the radar a bit:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Selfie is getting doubled up to cover MLS' cancellation and I'm not sure if that means they're burning it off or not. It's a shame it's struggling because Gillan is just a natural for comedy.

I don't think Selfie is long for this world either because it's really a bad show. I'm glad MLS went first though, because that is a much, much worse show.
Karen Gillan deserves to be on something better, and so does John Cho. I still haven't finished Sleepy Hollow season 1, is there any reason he can't return there as Zombie Cop?

I've heard things about Forever possibly being on the chopping block as well. I hope it's not true, but it is a show on ABC that I like, so it's probably inevitable that they loving cancel it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cho actually showed up in the season 2 premier so they could totally have him around if they really wanted to.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sleepy Hollow is a show that doesn't really need to play it too tight with continuity anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

White people write prison shows like this, black people write prison shows like this. Also that's pretty much what the book is from what I've heard.

But yes Piper is a terrible character, the show gets a lot better about knowing that in season 2.

david simon isn't white tho

also I finished season 1 of oitnb, couple of things

1) it ends unbelievably poorly for a show that could've been only 1 season, like if Netflix hadn't renewed it the end of season 1 doesn't resolve ANYTHING or even have its characters reach a natural endpoint to their arc, the season just...ends

2) pennsatucky is a bad character that seems to have fallen out of a different, more serious prison show

the way pennsatucky was written this season was odd and kinda bad, because she's introduced as basically the farcical punchline comic relief from when orange tries, and mostly fails, at being super comedic, and then they turn her into a character on prison break who just happens to be in orange is the new black

none of her arc or character moments really work

3) piper is a really, really bad main character to center your show around

4) jenji kohan has a really weird relationship with anime

5) that chicken episocde was really, really bad guys

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yea its not a very good show. Neither was weeds, so I don't know what you were expecting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the hell is David Simon not white?

Also I had similar complaints about s1 but I liked s2 a lot better.

e: also this honey boo boo poo poo is worse than I thought, the dude apparently molested one of the mom's daughters when she was eight and she's like NBD :shrug:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Toxxupation posted:

david simon isn't white tho

Come again?

Fooz posted:

Yea its not a very good show. Neither was weeds, so I don't know what you were expecting.

Weeds wasn't terrible for the 3-season show it should have been, although even then it had some glaringly lovely parts to it. It was terrible for however many seasons they dragged it out to though, I bailed way before whenever it ended.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

Come again?

If I learned anything from AD, that is an albino black man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I meant is whoops

I meant to imply that David Simon, being white, could write from a black persons perspective v well so I don't think it's a legitimate excuse to defend how all of Kohans characters on orange feel written from the same white liberal perspective

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IF we agree that David Simon represented an inner-city black person's perspective well, which I'm not going to concede simply because white me can't really comment with any veracity on that, it only came after literally decades of covering the inner city and isn't just some neat writing trick anyone can do.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
u fuckers just aint in the demo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Simon looks like one of the low level thugs in Tony Soprano's organization

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

perspective v well

Type out full words you goddamn moron

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Type out full words you goddamn moron

Who the gently caress cares

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Toxxupation posted:

Who the gently caress cares

Hard to make a point when you type like an infant.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Toxxupation posted:

4) jenji kohan has a really weird relationship with anime
What is this about

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

With all the anticipation over what show would be first to die this season a few pages ago, seems like this flew under the radar a bit:

I don't think Selfie is long for this world either because it's really a bad show. I'm glad MLS went first though, because that is a much, much worse show.
Karen Gillan deserves to be on something better, and so does John Cho. I still haven't finished Sleepy Hollow season 1, is there any reason he can't return there as Zombie Cop?

I've heard things about Forever possibly being on the chopping block as well. I hope it's not true, but it is a show on ABC that I like, so it's probably inevitable that they loving cancel it.

She was on Doctor Who. She is in something better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Aphrodite posted:

She was on Doctor Who. She is in something better.

She's also not actually that good.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Karen Gillan is mostly just really pretty.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

And a lot of fun to watch in Doctor Who. My favorite companion. And she's good in Guardians of the Galaxy (underused, though).

To be fair, she is awful in Selfie, it's not just the material. Though the material is also awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a companion that Who nerds don't loving despise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Is there a companion that Who nerds don't loving despise?

Anyone who has anything bad to say about Donna has an IQ under 40.

• Locked thread