Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cythereal posted:

You are not special, and you do not get the grade that you deserve. You get the grade that you earn.

Giving people the grades they deserve doesn't sound so bad. Or is this like a batman thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Giving people the grades they deserve doesn't sound so bad. Or is this like a batman thing?

Even if you know the material, you still have to do the work, because doing the work is the demonstration of knowing the material. They can't give everyone special snowflake ways to prove they've learned it, so everyone has to demonstrate in the same way and against the same guidelines. Thus, you can deserve an A because you mastered all the material and memorized the textbook and still earn an F due to being too hungover to go to the final.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've seen people fail studio art classes that had no tests, no quizzes, and no text book. The only requirements were make a bunch of stuff that shows you're learning about the art form, write a few short (like 1 to 2 pages short) papers about what it is you're doing, and participate in most of the critiques. Never underestimate the ability of college students to completely gently caress up.

Or better yet those that show up for maybe 1/3 of the class meetings then whine that they don't know the material and never know when assignments are due.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I hate every music major in my class other than me because they're stupid shits who want me to help them at midnight the day before assignments are due, and I especially hate the ones who ask for pictures of my work. I'm going to bed, and I'll wake up with my academic integrity intact, gently caress y'all.

E: this happens every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday night.

Hoshi has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Oct 25, 2014

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Registration opened at 6:45. I tried to register at 6:47 and every section of every class that I needed to take is full :suicide:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Grey Elephants posted:

Registration opened at 6:45. I tried to register at 6:47 and every section of every class that I needed to take is full :suicide:

Ouch. :(

I register this week and I'm afraid this is going to happen to me as well. The school is super impacted and yeesh.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

At my school the registration network crashes the instant registration opens due to too many people overloading the network. Nobody is paying attention in morning classes that day because they're obsessively checking their phones to see if they got into the classes they want.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jaramin posted:

At my school the registration network crashes the instant registration opens due to too many people overloading the network. Nobody is paying attention in morning classes that day because they're obsessively checking their phones to see if they got into the classes they want.

Your school holds morning classes on the day of registration? That's awful. Both my undergrad and grad institutions have registration on days when no classes are scheduled.

It took me an hour and a half to register for my classes on Friday. It's my final semester so all my classes were non-negotiable and I had to get into all of them in order to graduate on time. I made it but it wasn't fun worrying early in the morning for ages while I waited.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

We spread registration out over a bunch of time slots over several days(but most people get assigned to the same one on the same day), so it would be hard to take all of those days off.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have instinctively started to hate people on longboards because of university. One guy crossed the crosswalk in front of me using one while I was leaving the campus and he clearly didn't hit the crosswalk signal button and wait.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Zeether posted:

I have instinctively started to hate people on longboards because of university. One guy crossed the crosswalk in front of me using one while I was leaving the campus and he clearly didn't hit the crosswalk signal button and wait.

Ugh, every loving other student I've seen crossing the street either 1. Jaywalks through heavy traffic (gently caress off assholes! :argh:) 2. Doesn't wait for the signal at a stoplight to walk or 3. NEVER looks both ways before crossing the street, just has their headphones on looking only ahead and never around them.

It's like, are they TRYING to get killed? It's rare I find any college student willing to, you know, actually check to see if maybe there are 10 cars at a stoplight or turn lane trying to loving get out of the mess that is the campus area. Just because pedestrians have the right of way doesn't mean you can just run willy nilly through the roads when the traffic here is compressed and active all day.

It feels like the majority of my classmates in gen. eds. have no loving idea what they are doing half the time. I feel sorry for the professors that have to read the made-in-one day five page essays that have the quality of a fifth grader's writing.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Oct 27, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Good god, those longboard guys are so loving obnoxious it makes me want to knock them off their boards, smash the $50 acoustic guitars they've strapped to their backs, and shove their hemp hoodies down their goddamn throats :argh:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

How Rude posted:

Just because pedestrians have the right of way doesn't mean you can just run willy nilly through the roads when the traffic here is compressed and active all day.

They don't have the right of way when they're crossing on a Don't Walk light at a crosswalk. A few years back the cops did a sting and got a ton of students. All of them interviewed by the newspaper were complaining because they're safer than cars and shouldn't have to wait if it's clear. I'm sure they say differently about a car at a red light. "Golly gee, it was clear so why should I get a ticket?"

The sting happened because students were jaywalking and getting run over at the time. Not just regular jaywalking but the extra stupid kind where you don't look and are either talking on a phone or have headphones on and are listening to music and then just decide to step onto the road.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013

Sato posted:

Your school holds morning classes on the day of registration? That's awful. Both my undergrad and grad institutions have registration on days when no classes are scheduled.

It took me an hour and a half to register for my classes on Friday. It's my final semester so all my classes were non-negotiable and I had to get into all of them in order to graduate on time. I made it but it wasn't fun worrying early in the morning for ages while I waited.

Holy gently caress I wish my school did this :( We have classes as normal. Gotta give my school props though, this time around they actually announced when registration would open in advance.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's me, I'm the longboard guy on the bike that runs stop signs :negative:. I know that it is 100% completely illegal, and in most cases really unsafe, I just have zero regard for my own life.

Also, holy gently caress the number of people that will just step out into the street in front of a bike. Just because I'm on a bicycle doesn't mean I won't completely gently caress you up if I hit you.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The school wasn't counting like 12 hours of classes towards my degree and I didn't notice until I got stuck with the latest possible registration date. I yelled at my advisor and got it sorted out but I'm still stuck registering with freshmen. Guess I'm taking a semester of elective courses! If I can even get into any. :negative:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

They don't have the right of way when they're crossing on a Don't Walk light at a crosswalk. A few years back the cops did a sting and got a ton of students. All of them interviewed by the newspaper were complaining because they're safer than cars and shouldn't have to wait if it's clear. I'm sure they say differently about a car at a red light. "Golly gee, it was clear so why should I get a ticket?"

The sting happened because students were jaywalking and getting run over at the time. Not just regular jaywalking but the extra stupid kind where you don't look and are either talking on a phone or have headphones on and are listening to music and then just decide to step onto the road.

I wish my city did this. I'm going to say city because there is a public and private college right next door to each other, a community college, and numerous for-profits all clustered in the area. And all of the student pedestrians are like this. I almost mulched three bros running across an extremely busy four-lane road Friday night. Guess the cops are too busy chasing down MIPs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jaramin posted:

We spread registration out over a bunch of time slots over several days(but most people get assigned to the same one on the same day), so it would be hard to take all of those days off.

The first school I went to did registration by last name. Period. Three groups, last name starting with A-I, J-R, S-Z. Fall term went in that order, Winter had J-R first with A-I last, Spring was S-Z first. So yes, that's seniors registering with freshmen, possibly after 2/3 or more of the rest of the student body. Hope you got all your tech electives and minor requirements out of the way early, because they fill up in approximately 90 seconds after registration opens for the very first group!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I went to a state school that was at least decent enough to stagger registration by seniority so registration opened to seniors first, then juniors etc and I think it also coupled with a random lottery for what hour registration would open for you. I also was part of the "Honors Program" which basically meant a nice scholarship, being classified as a senior for registration purposes, and instead of taking a bunch of bullshit gen eds we basically got to take a bunch of discussion based "easy-A" sorts of classes with all the other Honors kids. However, only half of the classes each semester were on cool interesting topics or at least with good professors. The other half were a crap shoot and since you were only registering against the honors kids for the clases... I never worried about missing an elective for graduation but goddamn some of those seminars were boring enough to almost justify switching to Writing 101.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
My university library decided to stop sending me reminders about book loans about to expire for no particular reason so I racked up 5 dollars in late fees.

No big deal but I'm not sure why they figured that I didn't deserve a reminder for this particular book after I got used to getting them.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jaramin posted:

Both my schools held registration on Fridays when no classes were scheduled (except occasionally labs at my undergrad). I went to a huge school for undergrad where they spread it across two Fridays: the first for upperclassmen, and the second for frosh/sophs. You got a specific hour based on the last digit of your id number, so if you had a 1 for instance you'd get first slot in the morning (they reversed the order every semester so people with a certain digit wouldn't always get first dibs). It was also staggered throughout the day so too many people wouldn't overload the system.

My grad school is small so they just have us sign on all at once. Not fun.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Old, but back when I lived in the dorms, the university decided, for some reason, that the best way to stop people from speeding on campus was to install rumble strips, or whatever they're called. The problem is, they did this to the street right in front of the dorm I lived in. So every time a car went by, you'd hear a "BRRP BRRP BRRP" sound. This was not a quiet side street. It got annoying fast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And in the "That was a very special call to the custodial services department" file tonight, a student pissed all over the carpet in one of the private study rooms. When asked why he didn't use the restroom, the student responded that he couldn't find it. The restrooms were fifteen feet from the study room he was in, had a big lit-up sign, and there are signs on the walls about every twenty feet on that floor pointing towards the restrooms.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Good god, those longboard guys are so loving obnoxious it makes me want to knock them off their boards, smash the $50 acoustic guitars they've strapped to their backs, and shove their hemp hoodies down their goddamn throats :argh:

This. A thousand times this.

Obviously when I'm driving through an unlit parking lot at night you in the black pants and black hoody should shoot out in front of me (not even anywhere near a crosswalk) on your loving longboard and expect me to stop.

I swear to God if I wasn't already paranoid and watchful driving through that lot at night, several different people would be parking lot marinara by now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A White Guy posted:

It's me, I'm the longboard guy on the bike that runs stop signs :negative:. I know that it is 100% completely illegal, and in most cases really unsafe, I just have zero regard for my own life.

Also, holy gently caress the number of people that will just step out into the street in front of a bike. Just because I'm on a bicycle doesn't mean I won't completely gently caress you up if I hit you.

If you're going to willingly break the traffic laws you don't get to complain about what pedestrians do if they have a reasonable expectation that you're going to stop. At my former college there were lots of crosswalks at 4-way stop intersections where you have to yield to pedestrians always - no waiting for signals or anything. Yet you would get countless idiots like you on bikes that just plow through. Sometimes it was those people on the ~fixie~ bikes with no brakes, but most are people who just don't want to stop. They just see themselves as an unusually fast pedestrian. Good luck on your inevitable collision with a car/person.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

And in the "That was a very special call to the custodial services department" file tonight, a student pissed all over the carpet in one of the private study rooms. When asked why he didn't use the restroom, the student responded that he couldn't find it. The restrooms were fifteen feet from the study room he was in, had a big lit-up sign, and there are signs on the walls about every twenty feet on that floor pointing towards the restrooms.

I'm assuming this happened in the library?

Why is that? Why does weird poo poo only happen in the library, I wonder? You never hear about someone finding semen all over the lab equipment in the agricultural sciences building, or a student stumbling across an extremely detailed drawing of certain parts of human anatomy on a whiteboard in the writing tutor lab, or a student pissing all over the floor in a study lounge in the performing arts building. It's always the library.

My current complaint is professors out to prove something.

No, not like a political science researcher who's writing a paper on disenfranchisement among voters--that's legitimate research.

I'm talking about the professor that runs the same bullshit study every semester, where an email goes out to literally everyone on campus, inviting them to participate. "How much do YOU know about sexual assault? Please take this survey." You think "hey, I'll help out," and start the survey, and it ends up being like one of those joke tests online that's impossible to get a good score at.

"SEE? YOU DON'T KNOW poo poo ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT. YOU'RE loving IGNORANT, AND PROBABLY A RAPIST." :colbert:

Okay, I get it. Sexual assault is bad. Put some flyers up or give a speech or something. Don't do pretend research in an attempt to prove to everybody that they're terrible.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Did he get arrested, or what?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hummingbirds posted:

Did he get arrested, or what?

Lol no. Like we'd dare call the cops on anything less than a student killing someone because that would look bad. A badly stoned student trying to study and pissing over the carpet is just something we grunts have to put up with.

quote:

I'm assuming this happened in the library?

Why is that? Why does weird poo poo only happen in the library, I wonder? You never hear about someone finding semen all over the lab equipment in the agricultural sciences building, or a student stumbling across an extremely detailed drawing of certain parts of human anatomy on a whiteboard in the writing tutor lab, or a student pissing all over the floor in a study lounge in the performing arts building. It's always the library.

Yeah, I'm a college librarian and part-time grader to one of the librarians who also teaches a couple of history courses. My theory is simple density of students, and some students are shitheads. Make a place on campus where hundreds of students pass through and use every day, and odds of the shitheads among them doing something stupid climb.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I'm a college librarian and part-time grader to one of the librarians who also teaches a couple of history courses. My theory is simple density of students, and some students are shitheads. Make a place on campus where hundreds of students pass through and use every day, and odds of the shitheads among them doing something stupid climb.

The same kind of weird poo poo happens at public libraries too though. I blame it on free resources and our inability to legally ban people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hady posted:

The same kind of weird poo poo happens at public libraries too though. I blame it on free resources and our inability to legally ban people.

Really, that sort of poo poo is basically guaranteed to happen in any place that a large number of people are going to be going through. I saw all kinds of madness when I worked in public places. Retail, restaurants, convenience stores...they all had the same nonsense happen fairly regularly. A pretty big majority of people are regular folks that won't poo poo in your sink but if you deal with 10,000 customers there's probably at least one that will.

Of course when you're dealing with college students a lot of them are still teenagers and don't have all their brainy parts in. The parts of the brain that say "no you really should not do this thing you're about to do" aren't fully developed when you're 18 or 19. Consequences don't always register like they should so young folks are more likely to be complete shits.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I work in a college library. Just yesterday we had a non-student expose himself to a girl. We have couches scattered all over the 2nd and 3rd floor and some students will sleep there, a few years ago a girl was sleeping upstairs and when she woke up found that someone left a "deposit" on her. We've also had a student seriously creep on one of our student workers, he would stay in sight of the circulation desk and just stare, stare at her. Never came up and talked to her, just found multiple angles to stare at her from.

No carpet pissing, though.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not every city has pedestrian right-of-way laws though. My University's town didn't. (So I got good at gauging the speed of traffic.)

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course when you're dealing with college students a lot of them are still teenagers and don't have all their brainy parts in. The parts of the brain that say "no you really should not do this thing you're about to do" aren't fully developed when you're 18 or 19.

I thought they would be, after all the dumb crap you do between the ages of 13 and 17. Is it a case of bad parenting or are most people that developmentally challenged? Or is it a case of desperately clinging to your "I can do anything!" phase from your teen years?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If they're pissing and making GBS threads on things that aren't toilets then they're probably drunk or actually retarded.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Penny Paper posted:

I thought they would be, after all the dumb crap you do between the ages of 13 and 17. Is it a case of bad parenting or are most people that developmentally challenged? Or is it a case of desperately clinging to your "I can do anything!" phase from your teen years?

You have more of that part of the brain at 18 and 19 but not all of it. Really, that part keeps developing all through your 20's so it's partly brain stuff. Another part of it is that we don't expect college students to act like adults. It's even played up as a period of your life where you're supposed to sometimes get so drunk that you forget where you are and poo poo in the plants.

But yeah, a lot of it is just brain stuff. Underdeveloped frontal lobes, being 18 and having no major responsibilities like babies and houses, while being out of the house for the first time can cause extra lack of restraint. This is especially true of those that grew up with helicopter parents. After years of having their entire lives being micromanaged suddenly they get a taste of freedom and take it too far.

Other times they're just assholes that get up to any kind of nonsense they know they can get away with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gobblecoque posted:

If they're pissing and making GBS threads on things that aren't toilets then they're probably drunk or actually retarded.

Or stoned as the study room pisser turned out to be when we sat him down for a chat.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I think the thing about libraries is that you can hang out there for way longer without supervision since there's an expectation that people need to be left alone to work so there's more time for gross poo poo to happen. I work at a college library as well and while I haven't heard of any horrifying stories yet (most awful things seem to happen at the parking areas or light rail station) I'm sure I will in time :(

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So my school is using what I consider actually a really decent forums called Piazza. I honestly enjoy it for the most part, the email updates are a bit annoying but you can turn them off for the most part.

For class discussions it works really well, but one problem I have is there isn't an ignore and the professor doesn't do anything about this one assinine student who keeps posting stupid class.

His latest thing he posted in the general discussion forum was an MRA article that really is just like the last straw for me.

He titled it "10 Red Flags When Meeting Girls".
I literally can't make this poo poo up but he was defending the article and saying all the girl's he has met with tattoos are definitely crazy and broken.

Like this poo poo is not appropriate for school boards or general social media. I absolutely hate life hack posts and this is like some severe bastardized warping of it.

You're an adult now HOW do you agree with this poo poo or feel its appropriate to post this poo poo on class forums with other students. Holy crap. MRA life hack tips on student forums is what my life has become. Getting the occasional bump update in my email for this crap is not appropriate.

Should I talk to the professor about this guy? It is possible he just hasn't noticed the kid's posts? No one has commented on any of his posts and this is like his third one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It it's like any online class discussion I've ever been a part of I can almost guarantee you no one is paying attention. Yeah I'd say talk to your professor (always talk to your professor, they're super lonely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Holy poo poo. So apparently, someone dropped out of my Vet Nursing course four weeks into it. I can't help but feel a little annoyed on behalf of all the people who were dying to come here only to get hosed over by this girl. I'm assuming it's because she couldn't find a placement, since she was bugging me about mine a while back.

• Locked thread