Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

whydirt posted:

Dualcaster should have been a 2/1 for 1R. :colbert:

This joke doesn't work anymore. Red has unequivocally the best 2-drop of the cycle in all 3 formats. Obviously it's not the red card's fault, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This joke doesn't work anymore. Red has unequivocally the best 2-drop of the cycle in all 3 formats. Obviously it's not the red card's fault, but still.

What card is that again

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

I don't understand what they think they are fixing by creating a slightly less broken version of Snapcaster Mage. This is always going to remind red players of how they're not quite as fancy and cool as blue players.

We get that snaps is broken, give us a whole cycle of broken dudes then.

Don't cancel the harvest ball because Tommy the quarterback is drunk, go all in and spike the punch at both ends of the table as an adult chaperone!

The cycle already exists, though. Stoneforge Mystic, Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Young Pyromancer, Tarmogoyf.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

What card is that again

Young pyromancer

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

What card is that again

Young P-dizzle

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sampatrick posted:

Young P-dizzle

scaevola posted:

Young pyromancer

Silver2195 posted:

The cycle already exists, though. Stoneforge Mystic, Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Young Pyromancer, Tarmogoyf.

Young Pyromancer is an Uncommon it doesn't count. :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Young Pyromancer is an Uncommon it doesn't count. :colbert:

Tarmogoyf isn't a 2/1, it doesn't count. :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Entropic posted:

Tarmogoyf isn't a 2/1, it doesn't count. :colbert:

Stoneforge is a 1/2, though...

I do agree that Tarmogoyf is an odd fit, though, at least in terms of creative concept; it's the only member of the "cycle" that isn't a humanoid magic user.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's all falling apart.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
I understand the comparisons to Snapcaster Mage, but it's really just Reverberate on a body not a less broken Snapcaster Mage. It wouldn't cost less than the spell it's based on.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Silver2195 posted:

Stoneforge is a 1/2, though...

I do agree that Tarmogoyf is an odd fit, though, at least in terms of creative concept; it's the only member of the "cycle" that isn't a humanoid magic user.

You're right.

1G

Tarmomage

Creature - Human Wizard

Tarmomage's power is equal to all types of cards in all graveyards, and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.

*/*+1

There, now you can run eight of them.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I still think Goblin Recruiter is the most broken red 2-drop creature ever. I mean it is the only one of the "cycle" that's banned in Legacy...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Applebees posted:

I understand the comparisons to Snapcaster Mage, but it's really just Reverberate on a body not a less broken Snapcaster Mage. It wouldn't cost less than the spell it's based on.

Snapcaster Mage is a Recoup that can hit instants as well, and it has the same CMC. Tiago Chan kept pushing really hard to print a broken blue card and eventually Wizards gave up and said fine, he could have Snapcaster Mage.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I still think Goblin Recruiter is the most broken red 2-drop creature ever. I mean it is the only one of the "cycle" that's banned in Legacy...

It's not iconic enough because it's banned, and it only works in Goblins. The others in the cycle all work in a much more diverse pile of decks, and Young Peezy works in basically "anything with blue".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kraus posted:

Reef Worm + Pandemonium + Sac Outlet

You can bet it will show up with Doubling Season or Parallel Lives.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I hope the black deck has a reprint of Endrek Sahr so I can get 1/1 Thrull tokens

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I really want to use Feldon to reanimate that reef worm over and over and over. And since I'm already in blue I get to use intruder alarm or other shenanigans to make it happen more than once a turn. Also going to grixis colors gives access repeatable disciple of bolas tokens (and other assorted shenanigans) which I am all about.

Having recently run into a fauna shaman with illusionist's bracers on, putting those on Feldon seems really really fun.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Been a bit down on Daarken's work lately, but Ob Nixilis is pretty sweet.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Serperoth posted:

This card seems made for Riku decks. (if tumblr is hotlinking I can upload on imgur)

Jeleva

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't know if the worst thing is that Freyalise is unplayable garbage or that they let some 8 year old fingerpaint her art.

gently caress you, Wizards. This is worse than new-age slivers.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I don't know if the worst thing is that Freyalise is unplayable garbage or that they let some 8 year old fingerpaint her art.

gently caress you, Wizards. This is worse than new-age slivers.
                    /
:goonsay:

heh, but seriously what were you expecting?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

/

Well, they had Rebecca Guay do her art once...

Also, maybe a planeswalker that isn't a 5 mana Llanowar Elf/Naturalize with a pretty irrelevant ultimate?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

/

Something actually playable in eternal?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

She could certain use a splashier ultimate.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

After TNN you can bet they're really trying to get development to redline Commander product cards for Eternal formats :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
None of them are particularly good, are they? They all look like they went super conservative on the power level because of being able to constantly bring them back if they're your commander. None of them even look like very fun build-around-mes if you are using them as commanders.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Am I missing something or is Teferi's ultimate really bad and not worth -10ing for? I guess in a 4 player game it lets you +4 him him every turn cycle, but it feels like if you protected him long enough to get to -10 you should have already been winning anyway. I'm sure he'll be popular with the "let's all durdle for four hours" school of EDH players though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

After TNN you can bet they're really trying to get development to redline Commander product cards for Eternal formats :allears:

TNN isn't that big of a deal anymore though?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

Am I missing something or is Teferi's ultimate really bad and not worth -10ing for? I guess in a 4 player game it lets you +4 him him every turn cycle, but it feels like if you protected him long enough to get to -10 you should have already been winning anyway. I'm sure he'll be popular with the "let's all durdle for four hours" school of EDH players though.

No, the -10 looks pretty good as long as Teferi is still around afterwards. You're immediately ticking up again and getting lots of value in a hurry, plus it works with any other Planeswalkers you may have.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bring on the overpowered poo poo Wizards, this is the one real chance to do it

"the one real chance"

When there's three cards in the most recent expert expansion liable to be banned in various eternal formats

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

"the one real chance"

When there's three cards in the most recent expert expansion liable to be banned in various eternal formats

Cool, and I'd bet only 2 of those were intended

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

liable to be banned

Hahahaha are you serious.

"Yes this card is being played, it will therefore probably be banned"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is what some people actually believe!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They are pretty much forced to ban Jeskai Ascendancy in modern because of the turn two combo win, unless they plan to unban a whole bunch of cards that were banned for similar reasons.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are a couple of other turn two Modern wins though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

lmao if you think Ancestral Recall is going to stay legal in Modern

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a turn 2-3 combo, it will get banned within 6 months if the deck's any good.

:lol: Look at this retard who thinks a card is going to get banned because it's being played

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 27, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

A lot of pros have been talking about both blue delve draw cards being banned since they're better than the other banned modern draw 3 spell

So, you know, I was just repeating thus as an indication of liability (because it is)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Right now I'm whatever on Cruise, but I've been enjoying Dig in MonoU Tron so hands off please Wizards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

There are a couple of other turn two Modern wins though.

We've been over this before but it's about the consistency of the decks.

The other turn 2 decks are even less consistent that Ascendancy and If Ascendancy doesn't go off on Turn 2 it's almost guaranteed to go off on Turn 3 which is still an inconsistent thing for most other Combo decks in Modern.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Toshimo posted:

Red alert everyone: Toshimo doesn't like a thing.

But really, after Guay does art on a card, do you really think many others could measure up? And I think the art looks great, so I don't know what you're even on about. As for playability, whatever it's green and has card draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Right now I'm whatever on Cruise, but I've been enjoying Dig in MonoU Tron so hands off please Wizards.

What did you take out to fit it in, and have you been having any trouble making the double U for it?

• Locked thread