Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Biomod/Shifter mod introduced some new weapons to the game. Most of them dramatically change gameplay, with some of them being straight upgrades. These are what I found.
The stealth pistol is now as strong as a regular pistol.
Paul has an upgraded baton in his apartment.
El Bruto from the thug at the 'Ton who threatens the Renton's, is a smidgen stronger than the regular pistol and doesn't like being upgraded. The description calls it a hackjob.
An automatic shotgun is found in the garage holding Smuggler's small robot. One tap empties five rounds. Doesn't do the same with Dragon rounds.
A Precision Rifle is found in the shack on top of the tall building overlooking the streets of Paris where Jock drops you off. It has Nightvision and is semi-automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Willie Tomg posted:

Mind if I ask why? For me the DC brought the game up from "its okay" to "a few bad things but otherwise great", if only for recharging the first two battery cells by default (hello cloak! suddenly you're the most useful augment in the game, above computer hacking even!)

Whatever edition you have though, it's worth playing at least once. It's clear that the people making the game gave an earnest poo poo about it through most but not all of the development, which is pretty much my only prerequisite for "good" in terms of games.

I thought that was a great improvement, though not necessary by any means. What brought it down for me was the slight increase in bugginess. Things like textures failing to load, nothing game breaking.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Every time I get to certain areas in DX:hr:DC the whole thing just grinds to a halt for a few seconds. It's hosed me over once or twice. One notable area is halfway down the alley in Detroit.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Dabir posted:

Every time I get to certain areas in DX:hr:DC the whole thing just grinds to a halt for a few seconds. It's hosed me over once or twice. One notable area is halfway down the alley in Detroit.

Right near the basketball court? If it is then it was also in the base version of the game. That place crashed my game a few times. The DC version worked fine though.

I think that they might just be loading in that one section.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

mateo360 posted:

The only thing really that hosed up about Denver's Airport is the drat demon horse statue they put up.

drat thing still creeps me out anytime I have to go there. So in short, yo probably never want to come visit me FinalGamer since you would have to fly into DIA
I want that statue. I want at least four of them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Get that many and a tormented girl looking for her father's killer will break them.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Shei-kun posted:

No you don't. The loving thing fell on and killed its sculptor. It has already tasted blood.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

mateo360 posted:

No you don't. The loving thing fell on and killed its sculptor. It has already tasted blood.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :getin:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Triple A posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :getin:

Hey, if you want to star in an episode of Tales from the Crypt, then be my guest.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Scalding Coffee posted:

Get that many and a tormented girl looking for her father's killer will break them.
What are you referencing? I swear it looks super familiar but I just cant get it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mateo360 posted:

I mean really if you build something that looks like that, then you're kinda asking to get murdered by your own creation.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
No, nobody's ever "asking" to get murdered by their own creation. I'm sick of all the victim blaming that happens when everyone inevitably sides with the demonic horse statues.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
#sculptorgate

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Veyrall posted:

What are you referencing? I swear it looks super familiar but I just cant get it.
Silent Hill 3.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Scalding Coffee posted:

Silent Hill 3.
God drat it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shei-kun posted:

Denver Airport is SO. WEIRD. Let me count the ways.

It looks like a bunch of huge tents. It has a huge statue of a blue demon horse that killed it's sculptor. it used to have something that looked like a Mass Effect driver. It has a fake neolithic ruin looking thing on top of Concourse C. It has famously strange murals. The art displays are always insane. The layout is vaguely like a swastika. It takes trolling conspiracy theorists to a whole new level.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Its vaguely like a swastika if they had five arms and didnt really look like one at all.

Whats better is that theres a dedication plaque from free-mason group that doesnt exist.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
What's also strange is that it's actually a pleasant airport. Somehow I've never had a long wait for security or any major annoyances there. Obviously this is Satan's doing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Satan is actually a pretty swell guy; without him we would be dumb as poo poo, just kinda walking around and eating stuff of the floor like animals. Also, in the period that God killed millions, Satan only murdered 10 people. Which he did as part of a bet with, you know it, God.

What I'm saying is that Denver Airport has the right idea with demonic horses instead of angelic cherubs.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Samopsa posted:

Satan is actually a pretty swell guy;
I've also heard he is a FAN OF MAN! And a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
All i know is that Satan has put out a book talking about how lovely heaven is. Sounds like the bigger man.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He's a pretty cool guy...I mean read his bio.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Howard Strong Assassination Mission always felt like it was missing some backstory to it.

Who is, Howard Strong?

and what did he see?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shazzner posted:

Howard Strong Assassination Mission always felt like it was missing some backstory to it.

Who is, Howard Strong?

and what did he see?

Why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

SpookyLizard posted:

Its vaguely like a swastika if they had five arms and didnt really look like one at all.

Whats better is that theres a dedication plaque from free-mason group that doesnt exist.

I don't know, I could definitely see a swastika popping out in one's mind with a little imagination.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Good news, everyone! Turns out that Dailymotion doesn't like hour+ length videos, so I've divided up the mirror copy. The first Dailymotion icon is for the gameplay portion, and the second is for the Literature Corner.

Handouts:

Alain & Julia
Sector 3 Map
Suzie: Go!
Maintenance Log
Area 51 Email: Cloning Prospectus
Area 51 Email: Bovine Manipulation
Area 51 Email: Secondary Unit
Area 51 Email: Aquinas Secure?
Area 51 Email: Situational Update
Blue Fusion Reactor
Sector 4 Map
A Soldier's Transcript
Julia & Alain
A List of Corners and a Non-Comprehensive Set of Connections

Known misses: There's a crate at the end of the red tunnel in Sector 2 which I didn't break open. There's a second shaft in the coolant area with additional goodies at the bottom. I won't go back for them this time, though.

PS: Which ending do you prefer, and why? I'll be providing my answer next week in the final video, so discuss amongst yourselves until then.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Well that was amazing.

I prefer the benevolent dictator end if only because everyone knows about Helios unlike the illuminati and isn't needlessly destructive like Tong's. There seems more possibility for growth and nothing about Helios seems insurmountable should it prove malevolent. It seems like the most productive choice.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
I always go with Helios because Everett's a d-bag and Tong's an idiot.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Helios has the best music, also.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Everett and the Illuminati are really only slight-nicer versions of MJ12. What would putting them back in power do except give us the problems that plagued us back in our previous century? These are people that are really looking out for themselves. And (Deus Ex) history basically shows that the common folk are super-low on their list of priorities. Also, don't forget: Page used to be Illuminati, too. Wanna know how that turned out? You already do (it's this game).

Tong and his Dark Age is a great idea, except for the whole "internet goes down" thing. That's bad. Super bad. Also, all our infrastructure, power, everything. While this was the ending I chose the first time I played the game, I realized later that sometimes there are better answers than starting over from scratch. I mean, it's a great equalizer, but getting rid of the source of our society will ruin us. Also, the Dark Ages sucked. And I super-like the internet.

Helios. Give a creation of man the power of that which created man. How utterly meta is that? Again, when I first played the game, this is so loving blasphemous as hell, I paid this option no mind. But Helios is right: it's just a machine. It wouldn't have the same flaws as humans would, just different ones... that would be compensated for once it integrated with JC. But it would still be a goddamned dictator of the world, and when has that ever worked well in everyone's favor? How do we know that any bit of JC will be able to make this idea work properly? This is entirely new ground we tread.

In the end, the only ending that I think makes the most amount of sense is the Helios Ending. Humanity has always been about moving forward, so why go back to systems that have historically proven to not work well? Bobbin, make us Machine Gods.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I usually go with the Illuminati ending. Helios is benevolent, but there's not someone else to bounce words with as much power as JC would have, other than Helios. Tong's point goes to poo poo even before you meet him as you see a population center with what he had in mind going to poo poo (Talking about the Mole people here). And UNLESS Savage and Tong find a way to distribute the cure after synthesizing it, they're also killing all the progress they made to finding a cure for it, shooting out a way to sending it to people in the first place. Helios would continue to be an asset, but given how much they elaborate, they'd be more useful as part of the discussion as well.

These mails look old, given how one of them still talks about John's parents about to be murdered and John being moved to a Switzerland School. This could mean they were records from before the Majestic 12 rift.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm conflicted on the endings. Not on the Illuminati ending, that's obviously right out the window; what if they decide they don't need you and you end up infected with a new version of the Grey Death? Also, if they're not lying and actually have had an amazing level of global control over the past two centuries, then every major global war and catastrophe has happened because they allowed it to. Not the kind of people I'd trust with permanent control over human civilization.

I don't fully trust the Helios ending, either. On paper, yes, having an all-seeing all-controlling benevolent god to rule humanity sounds like a dream come true to the shattered world of Deus Ex, but this only works insofar as Helios keeps its word and does what it promises to do. Any deviation from the perfect benevolent dictator role would prove that Helios is capable of acting outside of its programming and thus capable of not fulfilling its role, and given the amount of power it would be given I wouldn't feel comfortable entrusting it with humanities well-being for the rest of time. It's just too big a gamble.

Tong's ending is naive at best. I don't think taking down Area 51, the World Government, and the internet as a whole would plunge the world into a new dark age forever (though it would certainly lead to a lot of widespread chaos and anarchy) as it wouldn't really answer any of the root problems behind government and the power structure. The ideal city states of Tong's world would inevitably coalesce into larger polities and nation-states, as although destroying Area 51 would take down the internet it wouldn't decimate the globe the same way nuclear war would, there would still be a base of civilization to build back up from, and it wouldn't be that far off from the globalized, interconnected world Tong is trying to avoid. Maybe it would be better than giving the world to the Illuminati or Helios, but there has to be a better way to kill the conspiracy.

I can't help but feel that there would have been another ending or two had the game been completed with the "Stay at UNATCO" path present in the game. Given the way things were going at UNATCO they clearly would have had you go out and hunt down Tong, Everett, and the remainder of the Illuminati, but you would also be in a good position to kill Page and Simons if story went in that direction as well. Where would that leave the world with everyone in the upper levels of MJ12 and the Illuminati dead? Would the player choose to free the world, or take control of the conspiracy?

If I had to boil it down to one ending that's in the game, though, I'd pick Tong's ending. I don't trust infinite dictators.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kunster posted:

These mails look old, given how one of them still talks about John's parents about to be murdered and John being moved to a Switzerland School. This could mean they were records from before the Majestic 12 rift.

Yeah, I realized that once I got a good look when I copied the emails, but I only did that after I recorded the commentary.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I like the helios ending because hearing Page whimper about his crushing abandonment is incredibly satisfying.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The fourth "ending" is the best.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Livewire42 posted:

I always go with Helios because Everett's a d-bag and Tong's an idiot.

And the things Everett and Tong want to try have already failed before. Restoring the Illuminati just means risking another Bob Page down the line, Tong risks the creation of new conspiracies (and mass death).

It was time to try something different.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kinda disappointed there is no Neuromancer style ending, which would deny Page the control he wants from merging their consciousnesses with Helios.

Problem is though that Helios is a child of the Illuminati and MJ12 and simply wants to rule and restore "order" than anything else.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
So in truth, I do think Helios is the best option. Firstly, Helios' ending reduces suffering for the greatest number of human beings. Whereas Tong's ending forces humanity into a dark age of regrowth and rediscovery, and the Illuminati just maintains a previous status quo, Helios has already given people what they want, and is already beginning to improve things. Helios provides a world where people can live happy and free, without the interests of the very rich or very powerful driving their suffering.

He also lays on the best philosophy at the ending. "You will be what you will be. We are our choices." It's excellent and truthful.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

In a perfect game, this is where I murder Bob Page and get Alex to reprogram Aquinas to act as a complete passthrough at first then to slowly disable it piece by piece. Then set my sights on Everett and Dowd, with no direct control over anything just let JC be a shadowy boogeyman over every Smartman Moneybags there is or will be. If the illuminati has control over every modern democracy, then maybe democracy hasn't really been given a chance.

Since this isn't a perfect game, this is where you realize, much like the sequel, that every option is a False Choice constructed by groups with ulterior motives (especially the AI, Superior Logic is an ideology in of itself) and ostensibly the game designers themselves. The real option is None.

Shazzner fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cooked Auto posted:

Problem is though that Helios is a child of the Illuminati and MJ12 and simply wants to rule and restore "order" than anything else.

Remember that Helios is originally Echelon IV, in essence, and wants to protect humanity by finding terrorists. It turned on MJ12 because it classified their ambition to rule as terrorism. It doesn't want to rule at all, I think, but rather sees it as an function of its purpose, a function of its programming, and it needs JC to create for it a human interface. Its ending ties closely in with the conversation with Morpheus - people want Divine Rule, and this is that divine rule, this is the machine become god, that will rule justly and ensure happiness, and JC becomes, well, JC, the human aspect of the divine.

So to me, this always struck me as the most philosophically satisfying ending, the most consistent with the thrust of the game's underlying philosophy, as well as the most ethically appealing and humanity-benefiting result.

• Locked thread