Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Open shade is blue colored light, not exclusively blue light. So yeah 10 stops of extra exposure probably would register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
This is not a great picture (and I went wild on the sharpening) but it illustrates the effect of a red #25 + Circular polarizer on a blue (but not really deep blue) sky with clouds. Film is Tri-X, rated 1600. Time of the shot was 2 or 3 hours from sunset (thought it was in patagonia, so the sun position was closer to ~1hour before sunset on any reasonable latitude). I'd meter and overexpose 4 or maybe 5 stops for this combination of filters, so unless you have a tripod or are shooting fast and wide it can be hard to hand-hold. But this is the large format thread so maybe it doesn't matter.

You can see how the sky gets lighter the closer you get to the horizon as someone else has said. You can also see that on the right situations you can get close to a pitch black sky in the middle of the day. The vignetting is thanks to the lovely CPL.

It's also 135 posted on the large format thread, but I'm only showing it to make my point.

DSC08141 by Hernando Rosa, on Flickr

On yellow filters, I find they are very subtle, so I don't really use them, but ymmv. Orange #15 on the other hand is almost glued to my walk-around lens by now.

Not that any of this matters since I only take bad photographies anyways.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:worship:

I LOVE this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

eggsovereasy posted:

I found I only get those marks on the inner most sheets, so I just use my mod54 with 4 sheets in the outer two slots on each side and it seems to work perfectly.

I've started doing this the last coupleof weeks and I haven't had any problems with those uneven developing marks since. Cheers.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Well it was bound to happen but I had my first big fuckup with film.

I have two backs for my Bronica ETRS - usually one loaded with Tri-x the other with Portra, both labelled on the back. So I spent an hour out last night at dusk taking long exposures with the Portra, finish the roll, come home and open it up and there is actually a roll of Tri-x in there.

Now I don't know for sure what is in the other back (labelled 400tx), but I am assuming Tri-x and that I also loaded the "Portra back" with Tri-x by mistake seeing as they both come in yellow wrappers with Kodak on them.

loving frustrating because I work slowly with medium format and am very selective with what I actually shoot, those 15 shots were taken over the last 3 days and were metered for Portra not b&w...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

loving frustrating because I work slowly with medium format and am very selective with what I actually shoot, those 15 shots were taken over the last 3 days and were metered for Portra not b&w...

Hopefully it won't be too bad, since they're both iso 400 and negative film. Would be a very different story if it was Provia 100F instead! I'd be more concerned about your subject matter, since normally what one shoots for colour would be different from b&w.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

alkanphel posted:

Hopefully it won't be too bad, since they're both iso 400 and negative film. Would be a very different story if it was Provia 100F instead! I'd be more concerned about your subject matter, since normally what one shoots for colour would be different from b&w.

Yeah exactly, it was all shot with colour in mind, I look for different things for b&w. Could be interesting but I think the evening stuff will be a total waste because it was all about the colour.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Well it wasn't a complete disaster, I can go back and reshoot this scene easily enough because it is 10 minutes from my place, a few I am not happy with in b&w are annoying because it was a one hour drive and I won't be going back any time soon.

North Beach, October 2014 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

deaders fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 2, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
If you look on the horizon left hand side you can see the Chinese ship "Xue Long" off in the distance during rescue of Akademik Shokalskiy earlier this year.

Velvia 50 no adjustments.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I hosed up the shooting of these, x-ray film is ageing quickly. And I over developed them so the negs were as flat as poo poo, a bit of an accomplishment for x-ray film:

Untitled by mr_student, on Flickr

Untitled by mr_student, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I find this shot intriguing. It stimulates me. I want more.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah that looks cool. What caused the hazy/foggy effect?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Musei Vaticani by alkanphel, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Love your work, but the way you crush your blacks (like upper right corner of this photo) drive me nuts. But such are the vagaries of shooting slide film I guess.

Love the 3d effect you have going in this one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

deaders posted:

At a guess? It's double sided xray film so no antihalation layer.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

deaders posted:

8th is spot on I think, the shot was made with a 8x10 plate holder rather than a film holder, so there's a little air gap behind the film, also there's no anti-halation with x-ray film you can get some weird effects happening. Also the neg was pretty thin in the tree/hill area so there are also details from the non-optimal processing I'm doing at the moment with the dunk tank.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

Love your work, but the way you crush your blacks (like upper right corner of this photo) drive me nuts. But such are the vagaries of shooting slide film I guess.

Love the 3d effect you have going in this one.

Thanks! Yeah The crushing of the blacks isn't usually done by me, the Provia film happily does it with great gusto when I'm shooting in dim areas. Amusingly you will get a similar effect if you use the VSCO slide film presets.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

8th is spot on I think, the shot was made with a 8x10 plate holder rather than a film holder, so there's a little air gap behind the film, also there's no anti-halation with x-ray film you can get some weird effects happening. Also the neg was pretty thin in the tree/hill area so there are also details from the non-optimal processing I'm doing at the moment with the dunk tank.

Yeah, one of the 2nd hand holders I bought was a kodak which has some circular depressions on the septum. I'm concerned it's gonna show up on the HR-T I have to shoot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's the kind of regular film holder I've got, and I haven't seen any problems with it yet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Awesome, my other stuff are all Liscos with flat septums. My only experience with no antihalation layer film was Kodak's HIE and under some conditions that stuff would show the pressure plate dimples.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Sludge Tank posted:

If you look on the horizon left hand side you can see the Chinese ship "Xue Long" off in the distance during rescue of Akademik Shokalskiy earlier this year.

Velvia 50 no adjustments.

Your Tasmanian / Australian black and whites are really effective but when it comes to your ice world that Velvia might be king.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah, I only just got the slide film developed and looking over the scans I'm pretty convinced of the same opinion. Stocked up a few boxes of 120 and 4x5 for this season.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah, I only just got the slide film developed and looking over the scans I'm pretty convinced of the same opinion. Stocked up a few boxes of 120 and 4x5 for this season.

Yeah Velvia 50 is really working for those ice shots. Did you have to use any sort of GND filters?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
No I didn't. I shot at box speed,too despite others telling to me to rate slower.

They do look super bright but that's just how loving bright it is down there in full daylight.

I've got a CPL on the way too which might come in handy.

Even some of the shots in the overcast/fog came out a lot nicer than I expected, and certainly a lot nicer than the portra.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

No I didn't. I shot at box speed,too despite others telling to me to rate slower.

They do look super bright but that's just how loving bright it is down there in full daylight.

I've got a CPL on the way too which might come in handy.

Even some of the shots in the overcast/fog came out a lot nicer than I expected, and certainly a lot nicer than the portra.

Yeah there's colour and texture on the ice so that's not blown even if it's quite bright. Overcast light is really the best light for Velvia.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

alkanphel posted:

Overcast light is really the best light for Velvia.

That's a real nice tip. Thanks.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Surveillance by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That's awesome. I've tried doing some of that selective focusing with my LF but it's harder than I thought to pick a good scene for it. I always just end up cracking the shits. f/128 yolo

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 4, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Went to the mountains and shot some random 100 speed film I had in the fridge with the GW690ii, first some Adox CHS 100:

Donna Buang by mr_student, on Flickr

And some Kodak T-Max 100

Both dunked in some Rodnal

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

That's awesome. I've tried doing some of that selective focusing with my LF but it's harder than I thought to pick a good scene for it. I always just end up cracking the shits. f/128 yolo

Pretty drat awesome stuff.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Went to the mountains and shot some random 100 speed film I had in the fridge with the GW690ii, first some Adox CHS 100:

Both dunked in some Rodnal

That's some good poo poo. So sharp.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I can finally participate in this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30580418@N04/15713852825

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
e: nvm. Sorted.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 5, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Sludge Tank posted:

Thanks, I think that scene only worked because it already had the colour contrast there. Most times I try and be clever with movements I end up wishing I'd just stopped all the way down.

Also, that's a great shot, Helicity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aghghghgh the texture on the paint :eyepop: So goood

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Musei Vaticani by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
gently caress

Adbot