Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shbobdb posted:

The Capybara was classified as a fish since Conquistadors wanted to eat it on Fridays.

Same with beavers in Quebec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CoolCab posted:

Same with beavers in Quebec.

Also muskrat. There's a ton of these local exceptions

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nutranurse posted:

If it has a cute face and beady, little eyes then its meat.

You have a very interesting defintion of "cute."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

loquacius posted:

You have a very interesting defintion of "cute."

How can you look at that face and say "no, I find you ugly and repulsive."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shbobdb posted:

The Capybara was classified as a fish since Conquistadors wanted to eat it on Fridays.

As all good Rasputina fans know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqWECQz-GY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Quite easily but then I have arachnophobia so :shrug:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

nutranurse posted:

Little fuckers pinch at your toes in the murky water. Don't let the cute face fool you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Trickle down economics has failed. I short-handed this point the other day, so let me be absolutely clear about what I’ve been saying for a couple of decades. Our economy grows when businesses and entrepreneurs create good-paying jobs here in America and workers and families are empowered to build from the bottom up and the middle out — not when we hand out tax breaks for corporations that outsource jobs or stash their profits overseas.

There are a growing number of businesses in our country showing what it means to be responsible corporate citizens. They’re paying workers a living wage instead of a poverty wage. They are investing in communities instead of hollowing them out. They are empowering workers instead of preventing them from organizing and joining unions to represent them. But we still don’t have enough who are doing all of that.” ~ Hillary Clinton, clarifying her previous 'you didn't build that'-style comments.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

nutranurse posted:

That's hilarious if true.

It is. They got the pope to declare it as such

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nutranurse posted:

That's hilarious if true.

Catholics have been getting things declared fish so they could eat them on Friday since before Jesus died on the cross. The logic is beaver tails look like fins so it's close enough.

Now ask about how Benedictine monasteries eventually had special rooms where the Rule of St. Benedict didn't apply so they could eat whatever they wanted.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Trickle down economics has failed. I short-handed this point the other day, so let me be absolutely clear about what I’ve been saying for a couple of decades. Our economy grows when businesses and entrepreneurs create good-paying jobs here in America and workers and families are empowered to build from the bottom up and the middle out — not when we hand out tax breaks for corporations that outsource jobs or stash their profits overseas.

There are a growing number of businesses in our country showing what it means to be responsible corporate citizens. They’re paying workers a living wage instead of a poverty wage. They are investing in communities instead of hollowing them out. They are empowering workers instead of preventing them from organizing and joining unions to represent them. But we still don’t have enough who are doing all of that.” ~ Hillary Clinton, clarifying her previous 'you didn't build that'-style comments.

Hey, I can get behind her lower income feminist/economic populist pitch. Provided she doesn't turn around and go back to her Lean In feminist/economic neoliberalism pitch after she's in office

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Possibly dumb question, but are federal judge appointments a particularly big deal? I mean, I presumed they were, but since we have a right-wing Supreme Court, won't they just simply nullify any liberal decisions that the lower courts pass?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Re: Christie's quarantine AKA quaranchristie-gate:

Is "soft on Ebola" the new "pro-amnesty"?

e: Quarantine? More like Qur'antine.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 27, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

metachronos posted:

I thought Rush was the poster band for lolbertarianism.

They were, but then they did that steampunk record, and even libertarians know enough to know how absolutely loving dorky that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, I can get behind her lower income feminist/economic populist pitch. Provided she doesn't turn around and go back to her Lean In feminist/economic neoliberalism pitch after she's in office

Spoiler alert...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Possibly dumb question, but are federal judge appointments a particularly big deal? I mean, I presumed they were, but since we have a right-wing Supreme Court, won't they just simply nullify any liberal decisions that the lower courts pass?

Most court decisions aren't reviewed.

Federal judicial appointments are a huge deal.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

Re: Christie's quarantine AKA quaranchristie-gate:

Is "soft on Ebola" the new "pro-amnesty"?

"My opponent thinks that putting Ebola-backs in so called "quarantine" is enough to stop their wanton spread across our glorious FREEDOM. He's too afraid of the LIBERAL MEDIA to take the stand we need, and set them on fire in mobile disposal units. As Governor, I promise to burn the Ebola-backs and protect your FREEDOM."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Has that happened? I'm trying to think of another Democrat who campaigned for President on populist rhetoric, but then governed as a pragmatist, but I'm having trouble coming up with any examples.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

nutranurse posted:

I'm with you crabs are oddly cute until you get REALLY close and see their weird mouths.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Well done, sir. :golfclap:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

metachronos posted:

I thought Rush was the poster band for lolbertarianism.

Peart says he got over that in recent interviews so not anymore I guess

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, sounds good and all, it's just that I don't believe her.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kalman posted:

Most court decisions aren't reviewed.

Federal judicial appointments are a huge deal.

Oh, I see.

Well, it's gonna suck when the Republicans take over the senate, isn't it? :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Catholics have been getting things declared fish so they could eat them on Friday since before Jesus died on the cross. The logic is beaver tails look like fins so it's close enough.

Now ask about how Benedictine monasteries eventually had special rooms where the Rule of St. Benedict didn't apply so they could eat whatever they wanted.

Its actually about the Venetian monopoly on the salt trade and then avoiding paying taxes to the Ancien Regime. Beaver tail looks close enough so therefore we don't have to pay consumption taxes when eating beaver.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Has that happened? I'm trying to think of another Democrat who campaigned for President on populist rhetoric, but then governed as a pragmatist, but I'm having trouble coming up with any examples.

You are undoubtedly correct that these positions make me an unlikely candidate for membership in the DLC. That is why I am not currently, nor have I ever been, a member of the DLC. As I stated in my previous letter, I agreed to be listed as “100 to watch” by the DLC. That’s been the extent of my contact with them. It does appear that, without my knowledge, the DLC also listed me in their “New Democrat” directory. Because I agree that such a directory implies membership, I will be calling the DLC to have my name removed, and appreciate your having brought this fact to my attention.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fried Chicken posted:

Hillary Clinton has the greatest potential to be a 21st century FDR.

By which I mean she's the most likely to broker exclusionary compromises to her legislative achievements in the name of pragmatism, further entrenching systemic inequity.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Barack H. Obama, Franklin D. Roosevelt

E: In seriousness, Barack Obama. I wrote a brief in 2007 outlining Obama's pragmatic conservative framework through which he personally conducts policy analysis and considers use of executive authority.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

It would really be a testament to the short memory of our political society if this hypothetical President managed to campaign for reelection by falling back onto largely the same stance.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

:gowron:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Barak Obama wants the CDC to teach YOUR children about Qurantime

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Yes guys, my comment was made with the self awareness that she will absolutely turn around and sell everyone out.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

It's official. Responsible corporate citizen is hot, job creator is not.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
“Twenty-one days, in your home, with your friends and your family, and you’ll be compensated … Read a book, read my book.”

That would be Cuomo, joking about Ebola quarantines. :mitt:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So has there been any discussion of the 40,000 missing voter registrations in Georgia? That poo poo sounds so crazy I'm sure there's something to it I'm missing.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/26/3584582/tens-of-thousands-of-missing-voter-registrations-could-sway-georgia-elections/

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

It's official. Responsible corporate citizen is hot, job creator is not.

This message brought to you by the Annie E. Casey Founding, in partnership with the Brookings Institute and the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

pathetic little tramp posted:

So has there been any discussion of the 40,000 missing voter registrations in Georgia? That poo poo sounds so crazy I'm sure there's something to it I'm missing.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/26/3584582/tens-of-thousands-of-missing-voter-registrations-could-sway-georgia-elections/

:ssh: You should see the sudden rulechange that Madigan just enacted in Illinois :ssh:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

It would really be a testament to the short memory of our political society if this hypothetical President managed to campaign for reelection by falling back onto largely the same stance.

Well, that or the gibbering insanity endorsed by the hypothetical opposition.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pope Guilty posted:

As all good Rasputina fans know!

I, for one, wish to thank the Pope for granting us this wish.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

This message brought to you by the Annie E. Casey Founding, in partnership with the Brookings Institute and the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

:ssh: You should see the sudden rulechange that Madigan just enacted in Illinois :ssh:

Just looked that up actually - what's the huge deal with it? Sounds confusing, but I don't see how it would benefit either party to wait to count the votes. Sucks that everything would come in late, I suppose.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

Just looked that up actually - what's the huge deal with it? Sounds confusing, but I don't see how it would benefit either party to wait to count the votes. Sucks that everything would come in late, I suppose.

Let me ask you this, what was the last close race for an executive office where Illinois waited until election day to count the votes?

Or, what does everything coming in late do to the vote count in the one county who's turnout is paramount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

Lobster isn't that great though. Now CRABS, man it's nice living in MD for those. Too bad I don't eat meat anymore. :shrug:

Unless you harvested them yourself pretty much all the crab in MD is imported. :ssh:

• Locked thread