Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Pissing me off today:
The VP of the company bought a laptop a while ago and my supervisor though it would be a fantastic idea to replace the laptop drive with some un-named drive he got from a contact of his. He cloned the drive over using a piece of software he likes and since then the laptop has been nothing but issues; sound drivers not working, random touchpoints appearing on the screen, networking stops working correctly, etc.
This brings us to today. Get a call from the VP saying there are more weird things going on with her laptop and that she'd like ME to redo the laptop. I'd been advocating for a re-install/redo of the system since it's been having issues, but it hasn't worked for her schedule. She says that since she needs it for work I'd have to do it off hours. Problem! I go to school two days a week so for the majority of the rest of the week i have to study for those classes plus Blizzcon is next week. I have zero time to get this done and she wants it completed between tues and thurs next week when I have thursday and friday off next week. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Caconym posted:

Got a patch to test today,

Did you even attempt to test this? I mean...

Why should they apparently you will test it for them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Simpleboo posted:

Pissing me off today:
The VP of the company bought a laptop a while ago and my supervisor though it would be a fantastic idea to replace the laptop drive with some un-named drive he got from a contact of his. He cloned the drive over using a piece of software he likes and since then the laptop has been nothing but issues; sound drivers not working, random touchpoints appearing on the screen, networking stops working correctly, etc.
This brings us to today. Get a call from the VP saying there are more weird things going on with her laptop and that she'd like ME to redo the laptop. I'd been advocating for a re-install/redo of the system since it's been having issues, but it hasn't worked for her schedule. She says that since she needs it for work I'd have to do it off hours. Problem! I go to school two days a week so for the majority of the rest of the week i have to study for those classes plus Blizzcon is next week. I have zero time to get this done and she wants it completed between tues and thurs next week when I have thursday and friday off next week. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Are you required to work after hours/on your own time (salary)?

Are you banging her?

If no and no then tell her that you will have to do it during work hours. Maybe get her a spare laptop while you do it.

If either answer is yes then you are probably screwed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Some people have Macs and we wish they didn't have Macs but because politics they can get all the funny money in the world to buy Macs. But now they want Creative Cloud and that's actually a useful purchase for that group so because it's useful it comes out of our budget rather than their pile of funny money. So we're trying to find a way to not get them Creative Cloud. But we're not allowed to push back on their Mac usage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks Ants posted:

The new 802.11ac standard will happily poo poo all over 5GHz, so enjoy it while it lasts.

This requires people to upgrade their routers, and only :spergin: nerds like us do that sort of thing.

Normal people just stick with the router their ISP supplied, so uptake of 802.11ac among normal people will take a long time. It won't happen until their current router breaks or they change ISPs and get a new one. And even then, most ISPs are notoriously cheap and can't be bothered supplying anything better than 2.4GHz 802.11n at best.

The majority of households are still on 802.11g, at least based on my experience with my own friends and family.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

"Skippers Morgendram" ("Captain's Morning Cap") is an awesome name though.

Sirotan posted:

Greetings from my new desk:

I see you got the mat too. Awesome!

For good measure, here's mine again. It's a closeup because I had pushed my chair into a corner and I was too lazy to move it.
Also we have small offices because we're situated in a part of town hall that used to be the city police station (and Gestapo HQ during WW2 - with ghost stories and everything)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Caconym posted:

I've had a JIRA ticket open with a vendor to fix an issue where some special characters will choke the client application.
Got a patch to test today, installed it, opened the application, held down shift and dragged my finger from 1-9.

Boom. :downs:

Did you even attempt to test this? I mean...

I did tier-one application support for a program where if the user entered an open bracket or quote ([, ], or ") into basically any text field, it would break an important part of the program. I somehow became the "expert" at fixing these issues because I would copy-paste the text in question into notepad and do a control+f to find the rogue symbol.

I didn't work there for long, but I was amazed that something like this was just accepted and not considered a bug that needed to be fixed. It was considered a user education issue. :shrug:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Kerberos is driving me absolutely loving crazy.

Auth to each individual server via https, no problem at all.

Auth through the VIP. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What the gently caress?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Trastion posted:

Why should they apparently you will test it for them.

What do you suggest? Pushing to prod and hoping for the best?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I did tier-one application support for a program where if the user entered an open bracket or quote ([, ], or ") into basically any text field, it would break an important part of the program. I somehow became the "expert" at fixing these issues because I would copy-paste the text in question into notepad and do a control+f to find the rogue symbol.

I didn't work there for long, but I was amazed that something like this was just accepted and not considered a bug that needed to be fixed. It was considered a user education issue. :shrug:

This one is worse, if the user closes the window the data will become inaccessible. The only solution is to go in the database and remove the offending char directly.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

tango alpha delta posted:

Auth through the VIP. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What the gently caress?

Not forwardable tickets? Broken rdns? Delegation set up wrong?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KozmoNaut posted:

This requires people to upgrade their routers, and only :spergin: nerds like us do that sort of thing.

Normal people just stick with the router their ISP supplied, so uptake of 802.11ac among normal people will take a long time. It won't happen until their current router breaks or they change ISPs and get a new one. And even then, most ISPs are notoriously cheap and can't be bothered supplying anything better than 2.4GHz 802.11n at best.

The majority of households are still on 802.11g, at least based on my experience with my own friends and family.

Every major ISP here in :britain: is now on 802.11ac for their bundled routers, and some of the biggest have been handing out dual-band gear for a couple of years now. 5GHz is getting more congested every day.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Thanks Ants posted:

Every major ISP here in :britain: is now on 802.11ac for their bundled routers, and some of the biggest have been handing out dual-band gear for a couple of years now. 5GHz is getting more congested every day.

I think part of that is that a lot of people in the UK have domestic internet speeds people in the US could only dream about. I have a 50Mb connection and that's literally the cheapest, slowest one I can get in this area. If you're going to advertise a 50Mb speed and then provide a router which can't hit that, people are going to be pissed when they go on SpeedTest.com and find "I'm not gettin' mah meggabits!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's probably something to do with it. 4 years ago I was getting around 12Mb/s and that was quite average. Now I pay roughly the same and get 80Mbps with around 20Mbps upload. It's not quite been an overnight change but it's been pretty fast.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Meanwhile, over in the US, the definition of broadband is 4Mb/s.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spog posted:

A $3,000 desk and you still have to use two packs of paper to get the monitors at the right height?

It's the $300 Dell chunky laptop hiding in the corner makes the interesting comparison.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rolleyes posted:

Sure, if you live in a decently-sized metro area. Otherwise you might get badly attenuated 1.5m/256k DSL or a ridiculously oversubscribed cable line with prime-time speeds in the double-digit kb/sec if you're lucky.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

dennyk posted:

Sure, if you live in a decently-sized metro area. Otherwise you might get badly attenuated 1.5m/256k DSL or a ridiculously oversubscribed cable line with prime-time speeds in the double-digit kb/sec if you're lucky.

Or if you live somewhere that the only company that services the area doesn't give a poo poo, then you get dial up or satellite.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Simpleboo posted:

Pissing me off today:

My (old)boss asked me to do something similar once.
:banjo: "Hey, I need you to do this training this week, but we are busy. Can you do it tonight? Should only be an hour or so." (Actual recommended time, 4 hours.)
:cripes: "Sure. Would you mind sending (boss's boss) an email approving the overtime?
:banjo: Uh, well, I'm not sure that we will be able to approve that.
:cripes: So, just to get this clear: You are asking me to work for free tonight?
:banjo: Of course not! We... will make some time... tomorrow?
:cripes: Sounds great.

The company had been sued for unpaid overtime a few years earlier. HR was still very sensitive. I was basically asking him "Could I get verbal confirmation that you wish to be fired tomorrow?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Simpleboo posted:

I have zero time to get this done and she wants it completed between tues and thurs next week when I have thursday and friday off next week. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Give her a loaner so you can work normal hours?

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

mewse posted:

Give her a loaner so you can work normal hours?

Company suffers from cheap owner syndrome so much that I dont even have spare workstation PCs on hand so a loaner is out of the question. She says she needs it to work during work hours and wants me to fix this undiagnosed issue overnight. I feel that if I decline I'm going to get poo poo on but at least I'm being paid OT? I hate my job.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's why we keep a stack of clunky old 8440p s around as loaners - they aren't worth anything and are great for threatening people with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

That's why we keep a stack of clunky old 8440p s around as loaners - they aren't worth anything and are great for threatening people with.

My work laptop is an 8440p, and it's not scheduled for replacement until late next year. With all the corporate crap on it, it's slow as balls.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

Huh, I signed up with Sky about 18 months ago and got their "hub" which is this thing: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3420596/sky-hub-sr101-broadband-router-review/

Which I think they're still doling out. It's pretty garbage and only does 2.4ghz.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MrMoo posted:

It's the $300 Dell chunky laptop hiding in the corner makes the interesting comparison.

It's a Latitude E6430? :confused:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

rolleyes posted:

This still annoys the gently caress out of me even though I know it's a lost cause. Broadband does not mean big pipe, it means it's an analogue data signal. Baseband would be the digital equivalent. Fiber for example is not broadband it's a baseband technology. Broadband has nothing to do with speed it has to do with the technology used to transmit the data.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Motherfucker.

We have a couple laptop bags laying around. There's a couple just generic Targus and Dell bags. Crazy 70 year old owner asks for a bag to take his laptop home in over the weekend, so we give him one of the nicer Dell bags that's made out of fake leather or whatever.

Who comes stomping in the office this morning, cussing my helpdesk guy out, berating him for 'wasting money on this bag'? The owner. Meanwhile he is carrying this laptop in a loving WALMART PLASTIC BAG like it's a bunch of dirty diapers.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 28, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Motherfucker.

We have a couple laptop bags laying around. There's a couple just generic Targus and Dell bags. Crazy 70 year old owner asks for a bag to take his laptop home in over the weekend, so we give him one of the nicer Dell bags that's made out of fake leather or whatever.

Who comes stomping in the office this morning, cussing my helpdesk guy out, berating him for 'wasting money on this bag'? The owner. Meanwhile he is carrying this laptop in a loving WALMART PLASTIC BAG like it's a bunch of dirty diapers.

I'm confused. Are you saying he is senile and thought the help desk gave him a Wal-mart plastic bag to carry his laptop in? Or was he so disgusted by the fake leather Dell case that he prefers his light-weight Wal-mart bag.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sirotan posted:

It's a Latitude E6430? :confused:

Yeah, those aren't that cheap or chunky. (God, Inspirons are another story, though. HTH they are now in the Client/Business support sphere I'll never know. At least I know XPS & Alienware are because CEOs gotta show off.)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

tango alpha delta posted:

Fixed: SPNs were misconfigured or only configured for a couple of nodes. gently caress.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fil5000 posted:

Huh, I signed up with Sky about 18 months ago and got their "hub" which is this thing: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3420596/sky-hub-sr101-broadband-router-review/

Which I think they're still doling out. It's pretty garbage and only does 2.4ghz.

They saw your posting and gave you a router to match.

Serious post: I think BT have been swapping the old ones out since they were failing more often than not so maybe give them a bell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying he is senile and thought the help desk gave him a Wal-mart plastic bag to carry his laptop in? Or was he so disgusted by the fake leather Dell case that he prefers his light-weight Wal-mart bag.

I think it helps that the Walmart bags are FREE

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Snip a small hole in his walmart bag while he's in the bathroom.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

I think it helps that the Walmart bags are FREE

Nothing exudes class and professionalism like hauling around your crap like a hobo.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Weekly hour long team meeting. Boss mentions that we should look at ways to improve and work more efficiently, look at ways to automate. We're a desktop support team of 4 to support a college of 11,000 students. They told us the same thing with our last director 3 years ago. We re-organized, specialized, and generally stepped our game up. Why don't directors realize that you can't only get so much work out of people and if at the end of the if things still aren't getting done then maybe, MAYBE, we need more people. I don't know how it is at other colleges around the country but I think 4 full time techs and a hand full of student workers might be a little too lean of an operation.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Coredump posted:

Weekly hour long team meeting. Boss mentions that we should look at ways to improve and work more efficiently, look at ways to automate. We're a desktop support team of 4 to support a college of 11,000 students. They told us the same thing with our last director 3 years ago. We re-organized, specialized, and generally stepped our game up. Why don't directors realize that you can't only get so much work out of people and if at the end of the if things still aren't getting done then maybe, MAYBE, we need more people. I don't know how it is at other colleges around the country but I think 4 full time techs and a hand full of student workers might be a little too lean of an operation.

They realize it but they only want answers that are free to implement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

Nothing exudes class and professionalism like hauling around your crap like a hobo.
The coolest guy I know carries around a plastic Aldi grocery bag full of melty candy bars.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

The coolest guy I know carries around a plastic Aldi grocery bag full of melty candy bars.

And now Operation Yewtree has a new target.

poo poo pissing me off: I spec hardware for our users. Finance actually places those orders because they can move money between budgets. It's supposed to be a rubber-stamp. Except this rubber stamp has taken a month to go through the last couple of times. These quotes expire after two weeks and often the price differs because of component prices and poo poo. But they sit on these orders for a month then Finance turn around and try to claim that them taking a month is my fault. According to my boss "this has been noticed and something will be done." He wouldn't bet me a tenner that it'd be in the next year, mind.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I get an email from my boss:
"Hey, open a ticket with <company> about this knowledge base article they put out so they can walk you through it."

I look at the KB article, its about 5 steps long an involves unchecking a couple of boxes, and copy/pasting a string of text a few times. Apparently to him this is a technical ability beyond my ken.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Boy do I love being asked to put in a ticket with Dell for an issue that I haven't verified (or done any troubleshooting on) on a machine that I haven't even seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Boy do I love being asked to put in a ticket with Dell for an issue that I haven't verified (or done any troubleshooting on) on a machine that I haven't even seen.

My director had me to reach out to the CTO of a company for tech support on a web site that he wasn't reading the instructions for. So loving embarrassing.