Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I AM BRAWW posted:

Do you guys drink potions when you get them? I feel like whenever I get in deep poo poo, I end up dying as I'm randomly quaffing poo poo while trying to run away. Or do you guys read scrolls when you get them and use IDs to find healing pots?

I quaff/read almost the moment I get them and am able to hole up in a quiet corner. I died way too many times frantically quaffing with 5 HP left and got sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Parallax Scroll posted:

centaurs can still gently caress up a low level tank, but just get behind cover or rush him if that's not an option. those poison monsters aren't generally too bad cause if i have high ac i probably have high health too

I tend to play tanks with shields so I don't fear the centaur

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
b - 899 gold the +11 whip of the Old World {venom, SInv}
i - 780 gold the +9 trident "Giant's Regret" {pierce, -Tele Str+2 SInv}
is either of these worth coming back for? I expect I will find something as good or better by the time I scrape up that much gold but what the hell do I know

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ion Helmet posted:

is either of these worth coming back for? I expect I will find something as good or better by the time I scrape up that much gold but what the hell do I know

They're both rear end. The trident would be pretty good without the -Tele though.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

666 gold the -69 failstaff of Go Back To GBS {Curse}

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Ion Helmet posted:

that whip is really good

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Do you guys drink potions when you get them? I feel like whenever I get in deep poo poo, I end up dying as I'm randomly quaffing poo poo while trying to run away. Or do you guys read scrolls when you get them and use IDs to find healing pots?

I sometimes use the potions early if combat is getting dangerous and I want to gamble that it's something good, but the rest of the time I use ID scrolls. It's less dangerous to quaff them un-IDed in combat now because potions of paralysis were removed, and that's really the only one that can instantly kill you.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm still used to rationing identify scrolls in 0.13, so now in trunk I ended up with a big surplus of them.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Ion Helmet posted:

What are you using? If you're using flails then pick up the whip. Trident -tele is kind of meh

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Alright I just got this and it's a lot of fun but how do I avoid dying all the time?

My best so far was an octopus assassin of darkness but I got 1 shot by an orc warrior on like dungeon level 5 or 6.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Aston posted:

Alright I just got this and it's a lot of fun but how do I avoid dying all the time?

My best so far was an octopus assassin of darkness but I got 1 shot by an orc warrior on like dungeon level 5 or 6.

You play the game really slowly and tacticaly.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Aston posted:

orc warriors are really tough but you already know that now

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I liked playing as the assassin and creeping up on monsters to kill them, but it felt like I got mobbed pretty easily when there were more than 2.

Also is octopus a bad idea for a beginner since they can't use armour?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Aston posted:

I liked playing as the assassin and creeping up on monsters to kill them, but it felt like I got mobbed pretty easily when there were more than 2.

Also is octopus a bad idea for a beginner since they can't use armour?

Yea probably.

Most of the enemies are about your speed, slower, or barely faster so it shouldn't be too hard to run back into a 1 tile wide hallway to fight monsters 1 by 1

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yea probably.

Most of the enemies are about your speed, slower, or barely faster so it shouldn't be too hard to run back into a 1 tile wide hallway to fight monsters 1 by 1

also always retreat back towards areas you've already cleared so you don't run into more guys

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

1581725 Feck Off the Intangible (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
Began as a Minotaur Chaos Knight on Oct 27, 2014.
Was a Favourite Plaything of Xom.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 04:14:13 (93485 turns).

I've never won a Chaos Knight before. I got the forlorn mutation from quaff-id early in the game, but it didn't seem to make Xom any less active or capricious. Chaos Knight wasn't too rough until Depths, when Xom started stripping away my resistance mutations, and then finishing most of those off by Zot. I had pretty good mutation luck till the end, minus losing all the good ones (had horns 3 on a dodging minotaur)

This is also the first time I've ever won 2 games in a row (last game was an Ogre(lol)AM of Ash who never used or trained any spells other than pproj and barely even threw rocks due to a giant spiked club with a lucky vampire brand from a brand scroll)

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

You play the game really slowly and tacticaly.

don't do this, though, it's not fun

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
abuse the tits off any poison weapon the game throws you early on too. a blowgun can probably carry you to like D:7 at least. if you find a melee weapon of venom, prick mobs with it a time or two then run and let them chase you and take the poison damage

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How should I be training my Hill Orc Fighter? I have Flails set to 100% but idk if that's right this game is very overwhelming.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Usually you want to be training a few skills. Fighting and defensive skills are probably more important than weapon skill early on, so I'd leave at least fighting, maces & flails, and either armor or dodging on depending on which way you want to go there. The main thing weapon skill does is lower your attack delay, which isn't that important with light weapons in the early game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I go full berserk until my melee skill is high enough then kill it and go for defense.

You are going to get hit, but you really need to kill something before it kills you. Then worry about defense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fadam posted:

How should I be training my Hill Orc Fighter? I have Flails set to 100% but idk if that's right this game is very overwhelming.

why are you not using axes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

has anyone evr played a human willingly in the history of this game?

also any tips for a demonspawn? their early game is horrible and i dont think ive ever gotten one off the ground. im trying an DsAr right now which is ok but i never know which skills to prioritize as those dudes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What do I have to train to get rid of me missing because I'm using plate + shield?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

babypolis posted:

also any tips for a demonspawn? their early game is horrible and i dont think ive ever gotten one off the ground. im trying an DsAr right now which is ok but i never know which skills to prioritize as those dudes

Play mummies, you'll be surprised at how much you'll appreciate demonspawn after a few games of playing mummy

this goes for every race except felid. Remember, it could always be worse

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

KoldPT posted:

don't do this, though, it's not fun

actually, it's good, and fun.

people who complain that the early game is too boring are usually playing it too fast, and dying over and over, and getting bored. if you play slowly, you will die less, and different things, and have more fun.

that, is my opinion.

babypolis posted:

hu-- are okay; they're pretty decent generalists, which is not useful early on (where you desperately need to specialize to survive) but neat later on.

the key is to always prioritize killdudes. ar is a weird class: it's basically a melee class which trades away "starting with a decent weapon/armour" for three early-game "I win" buttons. don't train evo; find a decent weapon and train that. later, as ds, join makhleb or qazlal and pump invocations for great fun. (makhleb's minor destruction is remarkably effective with invo investment, especially early on.)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fadam posted:

What do I have to train to get rid of me missing because I'm using plate + shield?

armor and shield. also strength.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Hey lessons is your random account fully random, or are you doing random viable? I tried a few fully random ones for fun and I seem to always get real rear end combinations.

I need to wait longer to get into random since I haven't won on any class yet, but sometimes it's fun to take a break from the MiBe and try some crazy crap.

My current MiBe is promising though. I was clearing elf 1&2 to try to find poison resist for snake and was doing well enough I decided to brave elf 3 at level 14 or 15. I got banished to abyss *twice* and found an exit both times but I did manage to clear elf, partially thanks to +3 crystal plate and a +9 God gift great mace of draining. Now just finishing up shoal then on to snake and slime :/

My furthest before this died in lair so it's real slow and stressful.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wow wtf why won't trog let me regenerate myself anymore that Hand of Trog spell just disappeared...

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

fadam posted:

wow wtf why won't trog let me regenerate myself anymore that Hand of Trog spell just disappeared...

What's your piety with him? You have stars by your name like **.... And that's your piety level with him. Using abilities uses up some of that piety. If it drops and you lose abilities, it's cause Trog thinks you're asking him to do too much compared to what you're giving him. I use the Brothers in Arms a lot and I constantly have to keep an eye on it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OkieMurse posted:

What's your piety with him? You have stars by your name like **.... And that's your piety level with him. Using abilities uses up some of that piety. If it drops and you lose abilities, it's cause Trog thinks you're asking him to do too much compared to what you're giving him. I use the Brothers in Arms a lot and I constantly have to keep an eye on it.

this game owns

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

fadam posted:

this game owns

it really does

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is probably a stupid question, but I looked in the wiki and couldn't find an answer: How will I know if armor fits my troll or not?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OkieMurse posted:

note that brothers in arms is also better at high piety: higher success rate & gives better dudes.

fadam posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I looked in the wiki and couldn't find an answer: How will I know if armor fits my troll or not?

look at the name of the item. if it's dark grey, you can't wear it.

things you can wear: robes, animal skins (super loose), troll leather armour, dragon armour (magically enchanted to fit any size of creature)

can't wear: leather, ring, scale, chain, plate, crystal plate

also, boots & gloves & helmets

I think that's it?

(ogres and spriggans work the same way.)

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Because of the text coloring I just now realized that my Minotaur could wear hats and he has something suitably jaunty on now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, Grinder blew me up last run, but this time as a Troll Berzerker I just popped bloodlust or w/e and ripped him apart. I literally just bought Fantasy Life for the 3ds but I've just been playing DCSS all day lol.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

actually, it's good, and fun.

people who complain that the early game is too boring are usually playing it too fast, and dying over and over, and getting bored. if you play slowly, you will die less, and different things, and have more fun.

that, is my opinion.

i think early game is boring because fighting rats bats and hobgolbins isnt so fun

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

the key is to always prioritize killdudes. ar is a weird class: it's basically a melee class which trades away "starting with a decent weapon/armour" for three early-game "I win" buttons. don't train evo; find a decent weapon and train that. later, as ds, join makhleb or qazlal and pump invocations for great fun. (makhleb's minor destruction is remarkably effective with invo investment, especially early on.)

I'm doing a HEAr right now. I've trained evo to 8 and it's saved my life countless times. You don't wanna train it because of the starter rods, but you're quite likely to get a good number of rods that will annihilate everything through lair, and if you do you should train evo.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

OkieMurse posted:

Hey lessons is your random account fully random, or are you doing random viable? I tried a few fully random ones for fun and I seem to always get real rear end combinations.

Fully random from the ! key in char select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

finally got a good DsAr going. got a sweet rear end poison whip, demonic guardian at level 2 and i even managed to find a potion of cure mut after i utterly hosed myself by chugging a mut potion that gave me forlorn and the one that makes your wands use mp

• Locked thread