Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

shadok posted:

Six months later, the blu-ray commentary confirms that this is exactly right.

Huh, I was sure it was a reference to FF's Council of Reed Richardses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

zoux posted:

That makes more sense, but I think that would be a little too far out of Justin's wheelhouse. He's a gamer, so it makes sense he based it off Mass Effect.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Isn't it probably just both? The actual Citadel of Ricks and the aesthetics could draw from Mass Effect but the whole concept of a multidimensional council is a bit different. Unless I missed something about multiple versions of people in the later games, I never played ME3.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zoux posted:

Pretty sure I read that they didn't even know about the Council of Reeds until after they were done. Serendipity, I guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
They're all references to the Council of Cross-Time Kangs.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Mr Fantastic is pretty much a Rick Sanchez that isn't self aware.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Given how directly it references the Council of Reeds (the whole "Earth Dimension C-137" thing), I would find it nearly impossible that the writers did not intend that as a nod to the FF bit. The visual aesthetic and prop design seemed heavily influenced by Mass Effect, but a lot of scifi has that feel these days.

Regardless, the game-nerd inside of me is happy that the primary reference/origin for the gag is to video games and not comic books.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah I've always liked that Rick has a straight up portal gun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rick and Marty briefly crossed over with other animated masterpiece, Gravity Falls.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pick posted:

Rick and Marty briefly crossed over with other animated masterpiece, Gravity Falls.
I am kinda shocked no one noticed this before now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JT Jag posted:

I am kinda shocked no one noticed this before now.

Well, the Gravity Falls episode where it happens only came out yesterday.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah, but there are some spergs out there that I thought would have locked onto that ? mug.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, but there are some spergs out there that I thought would have locked onto that ? mug.

Someone did, read the post above your shocked post.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I think he means that nobody noticed it in the Rick and Morty episode, since while I haven't watched Gravity Falls in a while (gently caress you Disney XD, not everyone has your fancy channels) I'm pretty sure the question mark mug has shown up before in the Mystery Shack.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
For those of you who don't watch Gravity Falls, Justin Roiland voiced a time traveler who appeared in the backgrounds of episodes for months before his episode aired, and whose episode had split-second glimpses to scenes from episodes from the rest of the season. They're really into dropping weird little hints.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

For those of you who don't watch Gravity Falls, Justin Roiland voiced a time traveler who appeared in the backgrounds of episodes for months before his episode aired,

So, in the previous episode.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

...of SCIENCE! posted:

For those of you who don't watch Gravity Falls, Justin Roiland voiced a time traveler who appeared in the backgrounds of episodes for months before his episode aired, and whose episode had split-second glimpses to scenes from episodes from the rest of the season. They're really into dropping weird little hints.

I've never seen that show, but that's really cool. I love that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the venn diagram of r&m and gravity falls pretty overlappy or what? I've never seen the latter

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Outside of Justin showing up in Gravity Falls, and cups, not really. Justin and Alex Hirsh are friends in real life, and they frequently visit each others studios, so it doesn't surprise me that there's some little nods for fun.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the venn diagram of r&m and gravity falls pretty overlappy or what? I've never seen the latter
Gravity Falls is more family oriented, though still really good at what it is. It focuses more on Twin Peaks-style small town weirdness, with more than a dash of the supernatural, while Rick and Morty is full-on inter-dimensional hijinx. One of the characters in Gravity Falls, however, is building an inter-dimensional portal, which is how the crossover happened.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gravity Falls is basically a sci-fi/horror version of Bobby's World.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Both shows operate on a similar frequency but are nearly polar opposites of family-friendliness. I'm sure I'm abusing those science words but I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUCK*.

*Can we get a Rick version of :science:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Light Gun Man posted:

*Can we get a Rick version of :science:

:science:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gravity Falls can be plenty twisted too, I think it mostly gets away with it because parents don't pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYVI5Ugz44&t=51s

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Haha, I haven't seen any of the GF shorts before, that's so loving dark.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

Haha, I haven't seen any of the GF shorts before, that's so loving dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FEhn_N76Y&t=82s

That's some creepy poo poo. :stonklol:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kAUbxTAKGo

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So when is Season 2 coming?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MariusLecter posted:

So when is Season 2 coming?

Not soon!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Like all well animated Adult Swim 30 minute programs, it will take for loving ever and probably be highly worth the wait.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

grilldos posted:

Like all well animated Adult Swim 30 minute programs, it will take for loving ever and probably be highly worth the wait.

I'm convinced my great-grandchildren will love it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In the meantime watch this for an appearance by Squanchy Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 9, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

Yeah, I hear ya.

For example, there was hope that we'd see at least a little bit of new Venture Bros. at some point in 2014... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alan Smithee posted:

I have no idea :wtc: that was, but Squanchy is at 2:20, 7:22, and a long sequence at 9:41 if that is too ~adultswim~ for you to make it all the way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have no idea :wtc: that was, but Squanchy is at 2:20, 7:22, and a long sequence at 9:41 if that is too ~adultswim~ for you to make it all the way.
No. Watch all of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Listen, if you don't love that video I don't wanna know you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It takes a lot to make a stew.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I hear ya.

For example, there was hope that we'd see at least a little bit of new Venture Bros. at some point in 2014... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Isn't the special supposed to air at the end of the year?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

This is amazing. And it's totally something that could air in a parallel dimension with the real fake doors advert in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Man, if there was an R2 DVD then I would buy it so hard.

• Locked thread