Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eriddy posted:

Am I on glue or is there no way to purchase an electronic iTunes gift card using a physical Apple Store gift card without going into an Apple Store? I have hundreds of dollars on this card and want to buy some music but I can't figure out how to move my money from this gray card in my wallet to my iTunes account without going to Apple Store I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think anybody else responded to this yet, but I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. The Apple Store and the iTunes Store are kind of separate, you can't use a gift card from one for a purchase at the other. If you want a definite answer then call up iTunes support but I'm 95% certain they'll say you have to go buy a gift card at a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

terriyaki posted:

Kind of a weird Keychain Access / Safari question here:

Whenever I try to sign in over at my health insurance company's website I always get this weird keychain access popup asking me if I want to allow access to an item in my keychain.

I want to delete this item but for some reason I can't actually find it in my keychain.

How do I get this bloody thing to stop popping up?

Edit: Hitting Always Allow doesn't change anything, it will still always pop up.. And it's weird that I can't find the item anywhere in the Keychain..

Your insurance provider has their website configured to allow (but not require) certificate-based authentication, and the pop up is Safari trying to find a certificate to submit. The security subsystem has chosen that one as it thinks it's the best match, and is asking permission to read it from the keychain. This is a site configuration problem, and will continue to happen even if you delete that item.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Apparently there's a general Bluetooth audio stack problem in Yosemite that causes sound to drift out of sync over time which is really annoying when you dock your laptop expecting to stream a movie while sick in bed.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
People having trouble with Pages/Numbers/etc not working with Handoff, make sure that iCloud is turned on for them on your iDevices. I checked my iPhone 6, and all three of those have iCloud turned off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So amongst all the other poo poo that runs poorly on my 2010 iMac (I know, shut up) I get stutters/pauses opening finder windows. Presumably because Yosemite can't animate the scaling thingy well on my machine despite that never having been a problem in past OS's. Is there an easy way to disable that? I googled, and am seeing terminal commands for stuff. Didn't there used to be something somewhere in SYSPREFS?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could try disabling vibrancy in accessibility options.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

You could try disabling vibrancy in accessibility options.

Not seeing that under accessibility.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
"Reduce transparency"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I just saw the update for Yosemite and I wondered if some of you folks already have some experience with it? Compatibility, looks, speed?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
This is going to sound really stupid, but anyone here good with Applescript? I'm trying to figure out how to insert a page from one document into another to do a Christmas card envelope merge. I can make separate files for each envelope, but it seems asinine that I can't just combine them all into one Pages document to print them.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So I'm having an issue with iMovie. I want to completely slowdown a clip of video (that was shot, in slo-mo mode on an iPhone 5S). The problem is, iMovie automatically does it in the same way that iOS shows it, with the beginning and end being normal speed. I can't seem to be able to get rid of the normal speed part at the end, which is really jarring. It looks like this in imovie:

Notice the movie icons: those show that those parts are at normal speed. I tried clicking the movie icons, but they can't be selected. If I click the turtle icon I can drag it to encompass the entire clip, but this dragging doesn't actually do anything and the change doesn't stick.

I know I could overcome this by exporting it from my iPhone with an app (e.g. TruSloMo), but that's hassle and there should just be a way to do this in iMovie right?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

So I just saw the update for Yosemite and I wondered if some of you folks already have some experience with it? Compatibility, looks, speed?

It seems to have a weird memory leak if you use multiple displays. Other than that it works pretty well.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

TACD posted:

I don't think anybody else responded to this yet, but I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. The Apple Store and the iTunes Store are kind of separate, you can't use a gift card from one for a purchase at the other. If you want a definite answer then call up iTunes support but I'm 95% certain they'll say you have to go buy a gift card at a store.

It used to be you could use an Apple Store gift card to purchase a physical iTunes Store gift card both in the store and Online (which would have to be shipped). Never the other way though.

It appears they have altered their policy since I did it a couple years ago, but maybe you'd have some luck trying to buy an iTunes card in a store with an Apple Store gift card.

My guess would be that they don't allow this because they probably pay a third party processor and would lose a bit more on having to process the money essentially twice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love my WiFi dropping every second since upgrading.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
This seems too obvious but have you tried dragging the gray circles above the movie clip icons?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Love my WiFi dropping every second since upgrading.

Eugh well I guess I'm glad it's not just me?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Choadmaster posted:

"Reduce transparency"

This will remove animations?? I'm trying to just have a finder window pop open and not do it's little "sweeping growing" animation that (now) stutters for me in Yos.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

This will remove animations?? I'm trying to just have a finder window pop open and not do it's little "sweeping growing" animation that (now) stutters for me in Yos.

I am just speculating that reducing transparency will reduce the cost of rendering that animated window.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

dik-dik posted:

Eugh well I guess I'm glad it's not just me?

Tons of people - tons of "fixes" but no word from Apple.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2839012/apple-mum-as-mac-owners-tussle-with-yosemite-over-wifi-problems.html#tk.rss_all

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

korora posted:

This seems too obvious but have you tried dragging the gray circles above the movie clip icons?

Yeah that increases/decreases the amount of speeding up/slowdown. I fixed it by splitting the clip right before it speeds up again, and this new clip I then slowed down. Also a workaround, but at least I didn't have to go back to the phone it was shot with.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This seems to have worked for now, haven't been disconnected in 20 minutes.

Changed the order as Bluetooth DUN 2 was at the top and WiFi was buried.

EDIT: Okay, that seemed like a temporary fix. It's disconnected a couple times here and there. We'll see how long this goes.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 27, 2014

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a bit of a long shot, but links from Mail seem to open in the wrong Safari window. I would expect links I click to open up in the current, foreground Safari window. Instead I have a minimized window and Mail keeps pulling it back up and opening a tab in that window. It's incredibly annoying. Anyone else notice this?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

dik-dik posted:

It would appear that all of these things are true. gently caress that for real.

I'm not paying another $10 for an app that I bought not 2 months ago.

E: Looks like the beta is still available, though.

But if you don't act now, they're jacking the price up to $20.

The new version looks nice and all but no thanks. I liked 1.x but it's been slightly fussy on Yosemite. Guess it's an opportunity to check out Mail.app again since it in theory covers 95% of my wants.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

Yeah that increases/decreases the amount of speeding up/slowdown. I fixed it by splitting the clip right before it speeds up again, and this new clip I then slowed down. Also a workaround, but at least I didn't have to go back to the phone it was shot with.
OK, here's how you do it. After you drag the clip into your timeline, look at the toolbar above the playback window. There's a button that looks like a speedometer that should be turned orange. Click on that, then select Speed: Slow. To get your full slow motion effect, click on Auto in the bar with speed % options (or put in 12% as a custom speed).

You can also turn off the default behavior in Preferences > "Apply slow motion automatically" but it doesn't really save you any time because then you still have to enable slow motion for your clips.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Khelmar posted:

This is going to sound really stupid, but anyone here good with Applescript? I'm trying to figure out how to insert a page from one document into another to do a Christmas card envelope merge. I can make separate files for each envelope, but it seems asinine that I can't just combine them all into one Pages document to print them.
If you just want to print them without opening up every single one to print you should be able to open up the particular printer app from System Preferences. Unless something has changed you should be able to drag all the documents to the printer app window or icon to print them, but you won't be able to mess with print settings.

Otherwise all I can think of is to find some print to PDF script, then you can make an Automator action to convert them to PDFs then combine those into one document.

Kobayashi posted:

This is a bit of a long shot, but links from Mail seem to open in the wrong Safari window. I would expect links I click to open up in the current, foreground Safari window. Instead I have a minimized window and Mail keeps pulling it back up and opening a tab in that window. It's incredibly annoying. Anyone else notice this?
I've been having this for a while with any outside app, it's really confusing since it's not always like that. It's just that at some point it goes into open in random window mode or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but after using Outlook 2013 for the past year, I'm actually really hyped about Office 2015 coming to OSX next year (supposedly) -- If Outlook compares to the Windows version then I'll easily dump Mail.app and every Exchange thing I bought in the past few days for it without a second thought. Reasonable people can disagree, but I think Outlook is a great mail client that I can't wait to use on my Mac.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but after using Outlook 2013 for the past year, I'm actually really hyped about Office 2015 coming to OSX next year (supposedly) -- If Outlook compares to the Windows version then I'll easily dump Mail.app and every Exchange thing I bought in the past few days for it without a second thought. Reasonable people can disagree, but I think Outlook is a great mail client that I can't wait to use on my Mac.
I'm not really a fan of office in general but boy howdy am I looking forward to something that isn't office 2011 for my poor end users who are stuck with it.

I think I read somewhere that the next Mac version of office is going to share a lot of its code base with the iOS versions of office which are surprisingly good so I'm cautiously optimistic :unsmith:.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Anything that gets rid of the Office 2011 UI will be an improvement at this point. It would have looked out of date in Jaguar, never mind how OSX has looked in the last half decade. I rather like how it looks on Windows currently, and if that look carried over to 2015, it would probably mesh fairly well with Yosemite (not to mention it would get rid of that horrid tool inspector widget… brrr…).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just guessing here, but you can download the free OneNote app to get an idea of how some of the Metro UI motif translated to an OSX app. I like to imagine that the Office update will follow that look/feel.

I quite like it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Tippis posted:

Anything that gets rid of the Office 2011 UI will be an improvement at this point. It would have looked out of date in Jaguar, never mind how OSX has looked in the last half decade. I rather like how it looks on Windows currently, and if that look carried over to 2015, it would probably mesh fairly well with Yosemite (not to mention it would get rid of that horrid tool inspector widget… brrr…).

I don't really mind the UI but the font looks like complete poo poo on this retina screen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

I don't really mind the UI but the font looks like complete poo poo on this retina screen.

That's odd, the fonts look fine to me. Microsoft apparently released an update back in 2012 to support retina resolutions. Some of the UI uses old images that look lovely, but the actual fonts that you type with and all that look fine.

Is it possible that "Open in Low Resolution" is selected in the program's Get Info pane?

That said, I hope that the rumors about Office 365 coming to Mac are true, because the new interface is awesome and having to go back to the mess that is 2011 was disappointing. I've been using Pages and Scrivener for the time being (which has been nice, actually, I may not go back).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 28, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lelandjs posted:

That's odd, the fonts look fine to me. Microsoft apparently released an update back in 2012 to support retina resolutions. Some of the UI uses old images that look lovely, but the actual fonts that you type with and all that look fine.

Is it possible that "Open in Low Resolution" is selected in the program's Get Info pane?

That said, I hope that the rumors about Office 365 coming to Mac are true, because the new interface is awesome and having to go back to the mess that is 2011 was disappointing. I've been using Pages and Scrivener for the time being (which has been nice, actually, I may not go back).

Are they still doing that annual subscription poo poo with office 365?

Because if so gently caress that forever. I don't care if it's cheaper in the long run, I just have a major dislike for subscription based setups for something as core to my life as word processing. I fully grant that this isn't a super-logical stance and really don't care.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because if so gently caress that forever. I don't care if it's cheaper in the long run, I just have a major dislike for subscription based setups for something as core to my life as word processing. I fully grant that this isn't a super-logical stance and really don't care.

You can, and always have been able to, buy non-subscription copies of Office

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes they are and yes you're not logical (but you can still get the core programs without it). :v:

Although I suppose the value of it will vary with how many (and what kinds of) machines you want to use. Compared to how much MS would try to extort me in the past for the four machines I use, to say nothing of the mobile platforms, it's an absolute bargain. The extra online storage comes in handy as well.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

lelandjs posted:

Hmm that update doesn't seem available through the program itself. Downloading the 14.2.4 update separately. Thanks

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

Hmm that update doesn't seem available through the program itself. Downloading the 14.2.4 update separately. Thanks

The latest version is 14.4.5, but I'm not sure it's available on The Pirate Bay Microsoft's site.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the Office apps should auto update unless someone's taken specific measures to disable it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

lelandjs posted:

The latest version is 14.4.5, but I'm not sure it's available on The Pirate Bay Microsoft's site.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the Office apps should auto update unless someone's taken specific measures to disable it.

I got this through my University a couple years ago and just put it back on my new MBP from a time machine restore. And I had to update to 14.1.0 just now through the app itself before I could see the most recent updates - they are there now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there a preferred guide for creating a fusion drive with a recovery partition? Most of the DIY fusion drive guides don't seem to bother with it.

EDIT: Macworld has this and it looks like I might be able to do it with a USB stick and a time machine backup rather than a bootable clone.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 28, 2014

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Khelmar posted:

Applescript can be really tricky to write, even as its being the simplest possible language to read and totally non-confrontational. For this, it's often called 'the world's first read-only language'. Fortunately, Yosemite actually introduced Javascript as an alternate OSA scripting language. Give it a shot!

edit: Something like:

JavaScript code:
source_path = Path('~/Desktop/doc1.pages')
source_page = 0

destination_path = Path('~/Desktop/doc2.pages')

Pages = Application('Pages')
source = Pages.open(source_path).pages[source_page]

Pages.open(destination_path).pages.push(source)

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is anyone else dealing with slow boot times when upgrading to Yosemite? In particular, the Startup Mode (holding down option on boot) is insanely slow, taking 2-3 minutes to list my various startup drives (as of right now, I have four of them).