Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

BurnBlackJay posted:

Watching this is no better than being a brony, nice one

Dafuq is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

alg posted:

Next week's episode is on WatchXD now. Fuckin' love the design of the Ghost.

Luminara!

Just in time for Halloween! :hb:

e: Also I just realized that the Ghost (more online episode spoilers)is literally a giant toy starship playset complete with detachable fighter, which is just loving insidious great :allears:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 21, 2014

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
From the latest episode, Rise of the Old Masters;

That was a good episode. The way the Inquisitor kept her bones and used them as a trap was morbid and pretty dark. The Inquisitor was badass and I'm hoping he doesn't turn into Greivous 2.0. I'm enjoying Rebels so far, and I like the crew dynamic.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 21, 2014

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VaultAggie posted:

From the latest episode, Rise of the Old Masters;

That was a good episode. The way the Inquisitor kept her bones and used them as a trap was morbid and pretty dark. The Inquisitor was badass and I'm hoping he doesn't turn into Greivous 2.0. I'm enjoying Rebels so far, and I like the crew dynamic.

Yeah, the Inquisitor so far seems to live up to his rep, he was obviously owning Kanan and they really only won by way of running like hell. Like the dynamic between Kanan and Ezra as master/apprentice; I seem to recall Kanan was just a Padawan himself when the whole Order 66 thing went down, so it makes sense he's kind of feeling his way as a teacher. More "Ghost as family" crew dynamic with him and Ezra playing "catch" at the end, which was a cute touch.

Chopper's starting to get to be a little TOO much of an rear end in a top hat considering he drat near killed Ezra off, yeesh. Hope he sticks closer to the playful end of the spectrum in the future.

Nice moment of hidden old EU black humor in that propaganda broadcast mentioning the "Base Delta Zero" initiative, which used to be code for "Star Destroyer does orbital bombardment on planet surface, turns it to slag". Wonder if it has the same meaning or they just snuck it in as a joke. Interesting that they have a potentially "fake Rebel" Senator given he passed out that broadcast about Luminara, wonder if he just got suckered or if it'll come up later (with Organa as a "real Rebel Senator" maybe popping up as a contrast/way to officially recruit the crew into the Alliance when it forms).

Really like where the series is going thus far; they've hit the ground running in the first season better than a lot of shows do.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh hey, Brent Spiner!

I really like this show! I watched this one right through again a second time. The pacing, continuity and character dynamics are spot-on (and, as others have remarked, give me a fond nostalgia for my old West End Star Wars crew).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This episode was fantastic. Everything about this show is just hitting all the right notes. I hope Hera gets to do more stuff than just sit in the ship and act motherly towards Ezra though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hakkesshu posted:

This episode was fantastic. Everything about this show is just hitting all the right notes. I hope Hera gets to do more stuff than just sit in the ship and act motherly towards Ezra though.

I'm wondering if maybe she might have some Jedi abilities that aren't being shown yet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I agree. I am not too worried because its still really early in the series. I am sure she will get an episode soon to explain her motivations against the Empire. We haven't really seen any development of Sabine either other than she likes to paint and blow things up. We saw how Ezra came to be with the group, we know why Kanan is there, and it only took a few minutes to flesh Zeb out as an actual character.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The plot armor seems a lot thick. I'm hoping they do more stuff like the unbeatable Inquisitor. Plus having some Clone Wars folks show up as dead is metal as gently caress. I'm hoping we get to see some Clone Troopers show up as Imperials. A few storm troopers with austrialian accents would be solid fan-service.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shbobdb posted:

The plot armor seems a lot thick. I'm hoping they do more stuff like the unbeatable Inquisitor. Plus having some Clone Wars folks show up as dead is metal as gently caress. I'm hoping we get to see some Clone Troopers show up as Imperials. A few storm troopers with austrialian accents would be solid fan-service.

That and maybe a couple disillusioned clone troopers who are bitter towards the manipulation the Empire did to the clones who are sympathetic to the cause. They would be old as gently caress, but have some knowledge to drop.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hakkesshu posted:

There's a preview clip floating around of Hera and Sabine investigating a dark looking locale together before some monstrous looking aliens attack them. It's presumably from an episode focusing on them once Ezra and Kanan, the series' main main characters get their arcs established.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MadDogMike posted:

Chopper's starting to get to be a little TOO much of an rear end in a top hat considering he drat near killed Ezra off, yeesh. Hope he sticks closer to the playful end of the spectrum in the future.

He was simply giving him a practical lesson on the likely consequences of not maintaining focus and therefore doing him a favour. :colbert:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

tsob posted:

There's a preview clip floating around of Hera and Sabine investigating a dark looking locale together before some monstrous looking aliens attack them. It's presumably from an episode focusing on them once Ezra and Kanan, the series' main main characters get their arcs established.

And for the folks wanting more Clone Wars callbacks, the area they're investigating is literally an abandoned Republic outpost, complete with broken-down gunships and ARC fighters strewn throughout the background. But yeah, it'd be crazy if they didn't at least address what actually happened to all the clones, though I'm curious if they'll recanonize Battlefront 2's explanation for that (essentially, most of them rebelled at Kamino and got squashed down by the 501st). Not likely, though, because it's a video game.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

But yeah, it'd be crazy if they didn't at least address what actually happened to all the clones,
On Rebels Recon (the YouTube featurette series, which is actually pretty interesting if you can handle the host walking menacingly toward you at the start of every episode), Pablo Hidalgo (one of the dudes in the all-powerful Story Group) said the clones have been phased out of service due to their advanced age, and replaced with recruits.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Vader's new lines were so much better than what we got in Episode 3.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So... Inquisitor origins: any theories? Emperor clone?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

well he is one of the alien dudes from utapau. maybe he was a former jedi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aw man. They just showed the first episode on ABC and now I find out it was a one-time thing and locked to cable otherwise? Oh well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

^^^^ ABC usually has the episode streamable a week afterwards if you can't already access the watchdisneyXD site

pengun101 posted:

well he is one of the alien dudes from utapau. maybe he was a former jedi.

Most of Legends-era Inquisitors ended up being exactly that, or personal disciples of Vader or Sheev. I'm sure we'll eventually see a reference to Byss dropped in, in any case.

Also that Vader scene's up on Youtube (albeit as a really quiet cam version, so turn Loudness Equalization on for this one, folks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PgF_cfrhM

I'd say James Earl Jones has mostly still got the voice; first few lines were a little shaky but by "This is my master's will." I was back on board. Definitely encouraging if those late-season rumors of Vader showing up for the finale are on point.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 27, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cross-Section posted:

^^^^ ABC usually has the episode streamable a week afterwards if you can't already access the watchdisneyXD site

Are you talking about the general case, or is SW:R up there somewhere? Digging around I can only find the special from today (which requires registration to see online but I saw it live) and there's no mention of other episodes ever appearing on broadcast so I don't see why ABC would host em.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I'm talking specifically about Spark of Rebellion (don't really know why I typed "usually" there); while currently ABC.com has the same provider restrictions that the rest of the series has had thus far here, it does note on the page that it won't require registration in a week's time.

As far as preceding episodes go, there's no "free" streaming option as of yet.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 27, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the general EU thread in the Book Barn but I was kinda miffed at this episode.

Disney wipes away nearly all of the EU with all its baggage and lightsaber armor (good!), and yet they allow the big bad guy on Rebels to have not just a saberstaff but one that rotates into a spinning lightsaber wheel o' death (bad).

Does it really require a ridiculous weapon to make the villain that much more dangerous? Especially after he's already owning the heroes prior to the unveiling of the saberstaff?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Cross-posting from the general EU thread in the Book Barn but I was kinda miffed at this episode.

Disney wipes away nearly all of the EU with all its baggage and lightsaber armor (good!), and yet they allow the big bad guy on Rebels to have not just a saberstaff but one that rotates into a spinning lightsaber wheel o' death (bad).

Does it really require a ridiculous weapon to make the villain that much more dangerous? Especially after he's already owning the heroes prior to the unveiling of the saberstaff?

One word: Toys.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In practice I don't really think they wiped everything, it just allows the people in charge of Rebels to cherry pick the stuff they like. I bet for all intents and purposes all the stuff in Clone Wars happened.

Also it's maybe a bit late to get miffed over ridiculous lightsaber varieties in Star Wars.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

quote:

I bet for all intents and purposes all the stuff in Clone Wars happened.

Why are you betting?

Clone Wars has been declared canon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, you're right, but point is it kind of doesn't matter either way, since Clone Wars recognized a bunch of EU stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Also it's maybe a bit late to get miffed over ridiculous lightsaber varieties in Star Wars.

Eh, I was just thinking that since they could've looked at the really dumb stuff in the EU, mainly this guy:

And gone, you know what? Let's not get complicated here.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, the crew have already confirmed that they can and will take things from the EU that they feel are still good ideas and can fit into the new canon. Generally basic concepts thus far though that aren't worth replacing, so stuff like the lightsaber forms, Sienar Fleet Systems, Base Delta Zeroes, and so forth are fine to reference, even if they might not be exactly the same as previously.

As to the Inquisitor's weapon: Almost certainly marketing, yeah, but the episode guide does give it a possibly interesting concept. Namely, that it is meant to deliberate invoke the 'what the gently caress' factor as it were. An opponent seeing it in action might be confused, and from that, made nervous, when a loss of concentration in a battle between force users can mean life or death. Think of how hypnotists, magicians, and even old school witch doctors will do a bunch of strange, eccentric actions that seem important, but in reality are just a distraction.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As long as the Inquisitor is related to at least one, but preferably more characters, I'll be happy. The point is the shrink the Star Wars Universe down until it is small enough to drown in a bathtub.

They could just have him be a person, with no real ties to anyone else beyond working with Darth Vader. But that wouldn't make any sense in a Universe where C3P0 and R2D2 were built by Darth Vader and have been at every important event in the history of the galaxy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Episode 4 owned. rear end in a top hat chopper. The really dark trap. Hera in the ship with the giant flyers just struck a super hard OT moment for me with her dialogue, the sound design, and framing. This show is really great, really captures the OT feel through and through. Also making fun of the do or do not. Owned.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Personally my hope on the Inquisitor is that he'll eventually realise, and be forced to react to, how he really can't advance in his position or otherwise have a future outside of being Darth Vader's pawn, and a likely quite painful demise. As the creators have emphasized, he is not counted as one of the Sith - likely due to the Rule of Two. So he can't see a promotion unless Vader decides he's gonna take a swing at Palpatine at some point in the show (which obviously wouldn't work out), whilst there's likely not any career prospects for a man of his talents outside of being, well, an Inquisitor. Of course, the danger there, as a friend of mine pointed out, is that that runs the issue of becoming a retread of previous characters - namely Darth Maul's 'Welp, I'mma be my own Sith Lord' storyline, though I also realise it could end up similar to Ventress' whole deal of being abandoned when she grew too powerful for the Rule of Two to accept for a non-Sith. There's potential in the character, and it'd be a shame if he he was just left to be as with his initial impressions. Well, unless they somehow made him into a Joker-style figure where the heroes can only guess at his background, but it matters little to either him or the plot.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Who's to say he wouldn't be happy rising to the rank of Grand Inquisitor (if the Imperial Inquisitorius is still a thing in this brave new canon)? Not every dark side adept strove to be a Sith. Some did, surely, and if that was The Inquisitor's goal and he was knowledgeable enough on Sith lore to covet the position, he would probably just assume that he has to prove himself worthy to be Vader's apprentice. Sith Apprentices and potentials aren't told "there are only two Sith, so you gotta wait in line"; they're told "there are only two Sith, so help me kill the old one and I'll let you be my #2".

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I never thought a kids show would be the show I most look forward to every week but here we are. I never liked the clone wars series, it was so grim. This show is like the original Star Wars. There is actual humor.

And Chopper is the best character in anything ever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tin can made man posted:

Grand Inquisitor

Oh please, everyone knows that role has already been filled.

He's already the boss. Of you.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Fragmented posted:

I never thought a kids show would be the show I most look forward to every week but here we are. I never liked the clone wars series, it was so grim. This show is like the original Star Wars. There is actual humor.
Have you seen tonight's episode yet? It brings in some more darkness and tension without losing the humor. It's pretty great.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disney has never been shy about hiring James Earl Jones to say a Vader line or two, even just one-liners for commercials played in theme park hotel rooms.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm wondering if maybe she might have some Jedi abilities that aren't being shown yet.

During the infiltration, there's a short shot of her shivering, possibly because she sensed the trap and/or Inquisitor. And it may just be me, but I kind of like the spinning saber. :shobon: The Base Delta Zero nod was also a neat, albeit really dark, callback to the EU.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 27, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

During the infiltration, there's a short shot of her shivering, possibly because she sensed the trap and/or Inquisitor. And it may just be me, but I kind of like the spinning saber. :shobon: The Base Delta Zero nod was also a neat, albeit really dark, callback to the EU.

Hera's background is kind of weird in that sense; A New Dawn establishes that she has an innate gift for judging people's personalities, in addition to her unnaturally good piloting abilities (she also already has the Ghost when she is introduced). She also pretty much unconditionally accepts Kanan when it's revealed that he used to be a Jedi. Though all of these qualities can be attributed to other contexts, I still wouldn't be surprised if such a plot point occurred.

Also, thanks to whoever stickied us; I probably should buy plat (and thus PMs) one of these days.

edit: Tangentially related, but the legendary X-Wing and TIE Fighter are getting a PC re-release; they'll be available to buy from GOG.com tomorrow! :dance:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 28, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I liked the last one in the series most (alliance I think?) but all those games were so drat great.

Show related, when do they put up new episodes on the XD app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

6:30 PST, I think.

Speaking of, the latest early-streaming episode was pretty good. There's a nice callback to the unfinished Clone Wars arc with the Kyber Crystal secretly being transported by the Imps. Also, intriguing to see the Inquisitor's mission expanded upon, which makes me wonder if we're gonna start seeing more Dark Force-users if his "recruitment drive" has really been going for as long as it was implied in the ep.

• Locked thread