Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

I really want to play Triple Triad, preferably online with some friends. Any suggestions? All the google results seem really weird and they're all pay to win monstrosities :psyduck:

Like yeah I can wait for the next FF14 patch but I'd like to just play it now, and I'm not really up to play through the minigame of FF8 to unlock triple triad. :v:

There used to be a free online version called TripleTriad Flash but idk if it's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

and even one part of that process is getting patched Monday for being a lovely grind.

Actually, every step except getting the weapon and Nexus are being adjusted. Tharvanian Myst is 150 soldiery instead of 300 myth, more than double the drop rate on atma, Animus books will be 500 soldiery instead of 1500 myth and Alexandrite maps will be 400 soldiery instead of 800 myth.

Meanwhile, in FFXI: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3577538&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post435707463

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This mindset is exactly what was wrong with FFXI, wisdom I can only impart as a JRPG old man at 27. XIV respects your time. The only aspect that doesn't is relic weapons, and even one part of that process is getting patched Monday for being a lovely grind.

Oh? I unsubbed a month or so ago. What's changing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PhilippAchtel posted:

Oh? I unsubbed a month or so ago. What's changing?

Atma drop rate "more than doubled", cost of Animus books effectively halved (it appears by all information that Myth to Soldiery will be a 1:1 conversion, and Animus books are gonna be 750 Soldiery next patch instead of 1500 Myth).

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Atma drop rate "more than doubled", cost of Animus books effectively halved (it appears by all information that Myth to Soldiery will be a 1:1 conversion, and Animus books are gonna be 750 Soldiery next patch instead of 1500 Myth).

Oh cool. Is this the 2.4 patch coming up? Will they be unlocking Syrcus?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PhilippAchtel posted:

The actual Syrcus Tower was unlocked in 2.3, and the last stage won't be until 2.5. They alternate between adding new stages of Coil in even patches and Crystal Tower in odd patches, so this patch will have the final Coil section.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, it drops on Tuesday, and yeah, the loot restrictions on Syrcus get lifted as well.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sweet! I have a couple other games I've been playing, but I'll probably come back in a few months.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
Many many years ago I played a fan made Final Fantasy game that I remember being excellent. It was RPG Maker and I believe made by someone calling themselves Square X. You had to pay for the full version so I only had the demo. I remember one of the last scenes in the demo had you crossing a cliff face dodging boulders.

I can't find anything online about it now... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

SSNeoman posted:

...But FF8's gameplay is loving awesome?

...did you actually DRAW all that magic from the enemies? If so then you weren't playing the game right.

VV Good man. Well I dunno then. I really liked the game because the GFs all gave you so many different tools and abilities to enhance your characters. My only problem with the game is level-scaling enemies because it's such a goddamn newbie trap. And Triple Triad is the best. And you can get Lionheart on disk 1 if you are truly dedicated :allears:

So the game is only good if you play given these different rules than the ones communicated to us by the developers of the game. I'm a fan of emergent gameplay but this is FF Stockholm Syndrome in its entirety right here. FF8 has a broken system, such that the basic act of killing monsters is considered bad play, the thing the game requires that you do in the very first portion of the game and foundation for the rest of the series and most RPG's. Instead, playing the card game or otherwise capturing cards and using them to blow up your stats so that the game becomes a hilariously easy treadmill is optimal play... which I accidentally did on my first playthrough and it soured me on the game as a whole. The game is poorly designed and bad. It has good things about it but it is bad. It's fine for you to find fun in the game but it is still a bad game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 27, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bloodychill posted:

So the game is only good if you play given these different rules than the ones communicated to us by the developers of the game. I'm a fan of emergent gameplay but this is FF Stockholm Syndrome in its entirety right here. FF8 has a broken system, such that the basic act of killing monsters is considered bad play, the thing the game requires that you do in the very first portion of the game and foundation for the rest of the series and most RPG's. Instead, playing the card game or otherwise capturing cards and using them to blow up your stats so that the game becomes a hilariously easy treadmill is optimal play... which I accidentally did on my first playthrough and it soured me on the game as a whole. The game is poorly designed and bad. It has good things about it but it is bad. It's fine for you to find fun in the game but it is still a bad game.

I played the game like a regular Final Fantasy RPG and had no trouble whatsoever, and the game remained challenging (in parts) for the entire experience. I only played the card game, I never refined the cards. It's not a bad game because another play-style is more optimal. It's a bad game because it's a Final Fantasy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Levantine posted:

I played the game like a regular Final Fantasy RPG and had no trouble whatsoever, and the game remained challenging (in parts) for the entire experience. I only played the card game, I never refined the cards. It's not a bad game because another play-style is more optimal. It's a bad game because it's a Final Fantasy.

Fair point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Levantine posted:

I played it like a regular Final Fantasy game as well. I used GFs over and over and over again because in previous games summons were the strongest attacks you could do. This was The Wrong Way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I played it like a regular Final Fantasy game as well. I used GFs over and over and over again because in previous games summons were the strongest attacks you could do. This was The Wrong Way.

Same, I also accidentally levelled myself to 100 grinding weapon components without realising it would take me a fraction of the time just breaking down cards, and wouldn't gently caress me over by making the game even more difficult.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be fair, this is a completely valid and acceptable strategy once you get Doomtrain, because who wouldn't want to hit everything with a giant gently caress-off train?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF8 is weird. I nearly reset the game my first time through, at 2 points when I was stonewalled by a boss. The boss of the missile base (Blue Tank) with the team I never used of Irvine and Selphie and Quistis because I didn't expect to need both teams to be "boss ready", and NORG. I didn't understand drawing/junctioning well at that age and hadn't figured out any of the refine exploits.

I ended up using my very limited Aura supply to just have limit breaks through the fights, but that sucked and I usually died.

Subsequent playthroughs I beat the missile boss in about 3 hits and was doing 9999 most of the game. Which is fine when I'm just playing the game for brief nostalgia and just want the pretty backdrops and music and to skip all the fighting and dialogue.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The "proper" way to play FFVIII is apparently to set Enc-None as soon as you can, since you don't want to draw magic from monsters and leveling up is bad. That way you can quickly enjoy the fantastic story without gameplay getting in the way!... wait...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The game's major fault is that it doesn't stress how incredibly important GFs are. You don't need to play a card game to break it over your knee, your GF abilities more than suffice. Level scaling is dumb, but considering the silly poo poo you can do with just the first three GFs it becomes inconsequential.
FF8 is great if you treat as an Atelier game.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 27, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

The "proper" way to play FFVIII is apparently to set Enc-None as soon as you can, since you don't want to draw magic from monsters and leveling up is bad. That way you can quickly enjoy the fantastic story without gameplay getting in the way!... wait...

There is like zero chance leveling up from fighting is going to affect your ability to beat the game as long as you know how to junction. Enc-None is mostly for if you feel like avoiding the random battles and getting on with a mission, which is something every PSX Final Fantasy had to deal with. FFVII had chocobos for that, at least on the first continent. There wasn't really anything for it in IX--you just had to deal with it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, the level scaling isn't even that bad. Things get tougher but I beat the game at level 100 my first time through and while some things hit a lot harder or have better attacks, you're still more powerful by an order of magnitude.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

morallyobjected posted:

There is like zero chance leveling up from fighting is going to affect your ability to beat the game as long as you know how to junction. Enc-None is mostly for if you feel like avoiding the random battles and getting on with a mission, which is something every PSX Final Fantasy had to deal with. FFVII had chocobos for that, at least on the first continent. There wasn't really anything for it in IX--you just had to deal with it.

EVERY RPG with random encounters should have a way to optionally remove them. Moogle Charm in FFVI was amazing, enc- NONE is amazing, Repels in Pokemon are amazing.

gently caress random encounters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

SSNeoman posted:

The game's major fault is the story and the gameplay and the characters and the dialog and the overly long unskippable GF attacks and the upgrade system overshadowed by the job and materia systems from other games

ftfy

The best part of the games are the music and card game. The game should have just been about collecting and playing cards I think. The monster designs were cool but they weren't totally necessary with the card game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

How Rude posted:

EVERY RPG with random encounters should have a way to optionally remove them. Moogle Charm in FFVI was amazing, enc- NONE is amazing, Repels in Pokemon are amazing.

gently caress random encounters.

Which is why Chrono Trigger is the best RPG. No random nothing. Enemies are there or they aren't. You ran into them or you didn't.

FFXII was also pretty cool in this regard.

Random Encounters were a way to handle games not being able to render all the enemies in a massive environment on screen, or to handle using overworld screens that didn't fully depict the scene again because of technical limitations.

We're past those limitations now. The only reason we still have random encounters is some kind of gamer stockholm syndrome where many have convinced themselves that random encounters were always a cool mechanic just because they had to be there.

I would be so happy to never have random encounters ever again.

If you have to have them, then you need a system like Bravely Default where you can quickly get through them, or like Earthbound where low level encounters just auto-resolve.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have to have them, then you need a system like Bravely Default where you can quickly get through them, or like Earthbound where low level encounters just auto-resolve.

Bravely Default was pretty much the perfect way to handle them in a turn-based game. You can set them to not happen or increase the speed or get an ability that lets you win non-boss encounters. The game let you play it how you wanted and I think it worked quite well.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've been playing Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Pretty Princess Dress-Up Simulator, despite not having played the games before it. I've picked up bits and pieces of their story from other sources so I can sort of follow what's going on, but I'm more entertained by the side quests in which Lightning struggles to deal with a continuous stream of ridiculous people without succumbing to the temptation to flip everyone off and ride her chocobo into the sunset. Every time Chocolina is on the screen I swear you can almost feel Lightning's disdain.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The game's major fault is the story and the gameplay and the characters and the dialog and the overly long summon attacks and the upgrade system overshadowed by the job and materia systems from other games

ftfy and made it applicable to every game in the series except for IX.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
When I first played FF8 I had no idea about any of the systems. Anything that could be done to break the game and make it very easy was lost on me. My past role-playing experience was all with games where the only way you got stronger was by killing things, so the whole junctioning aspect was lost on me. I mean, I kind of got it I guess, but I didn't really realize that the way you make your guys stronger was by getting abilities from your GFs and junctioning and that your level really has gently caress all to do with anything. But I wasn't stupid so things like getting your guys to low health and keeping them there to spam skip and get a limit break every turn wasn't beyond my grasp. Overall it was pretty challenging.

I also loved the card game but I didn't know how broken refining the cards would be so I hardly ever did it. My reasoning was, why would I want to lose my good cards? I wasn't aware that the card game played into the other systems in this way, I thought it was just a fun thing you could do on it's own.

Of course, like with all big RPGs at the time, I later bought the strategy guide and optimized the hell out of everything. I think it was a Bradygames guide. The best strategy guide I ever bought is still the one I bought for FF7. I think it was from Versus? It wasn't an official guide I don't think but it was sweet. I actually bought the guide around when I bought the game and had to force myself not to read through it, although I think I read up on everybody's limit breaks before I got them and I had no idea Aerith was gonna die because I saw she got all the limit breaks like everyone else did.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zaphod42 posted:

We're past those limitations now. The only reason we still have random encounters is some kind of gamer stockholm syndrome where many have convinced themselves that random encounters were always a cool mechanic just because they had to be there.

I don't know if technical limitations were ever really the problem. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, an early "babby's first RPG" game on the SNES showed all the monster encounters on-screen, and could even keep track of every encounter you had cleared out, even in long dungeons with multiple map changes. I don't see how displaying encounters on-screen would be any different from, say, the original NES Zelda which had a bunch of monsters running around and shooting at you on every screen.

I'm not sure why the invisible random encounter system was implemented or became so prevalent, but I don't think it was ever necessary.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mischitary posted:

My past role-playing experience was all with games where the only way you got stronger was by killing things, so the whole junctioning aspect was lost on me. I mean, I kind of got it I guess, but I didn't really realize that the way you make your guys stronger was by getting abilities from your GFs and junctioning...

See I can kind of get this, if they didn't give you a tutorial on Junctioning and showing you "Hey spells on your stats are good, more spells on your stats are better, and stronger spells are better to!" Like I understand not knowing how to split the game over your knee, or that leveling was dumb, and even that card playing is the best thing you can be doing; I just can't get how peopled missed how junctioning work since they are explicit about it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Madmarker posted:

See I can kind of get this, if they didn't give you a tutorial on Junctioning and showing you "Hey spells on your stats are good, more spells on your stats are better, and stronger spells are better to!" Like I understand not knowing how to split the game over your knee, or that leveling was dumb, and even that card playing is the best thing you can be doing; I just can't get how peopled missed how junctioning work since they are explicit about it.

Junctioning always confused me for some reason. Part of the reason is all of the short names used and figuring out what they mean, what they do, etc. Granted, I have never finished VIII and I have only tried it 3 times I think.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I knew how it worked, I just didn't know how important it was. I thought it was a bonus.

FF8 was a lot different than past FF games and even most RPGs because you basically equip magic and you don't really ever want to use the magic you have unless you have a lot of it, which takes time to draw. Also the concept of using magic that an enemy has while in battle and not drawing it and then using it later was so alien to me. I had no idea why I would want to do it. I mean, now it's obvious, but back then it wasn't to me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't know if technical limitations were ever really the problem. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, an early "babby's first RPG" game on the SNES showed all the monster encounters on-screen, and could even keep track of every encounter you had cleared out, even in long dungeons with multiple map changes. I don't see how displaying encounters on-screen would be any different from, say, the original NES Zelda which had a bunch of monsters running around and shooting at you on every screen.

I'm not sure why the invisible random encounter system was implemented or became so prevalent, but I don't think it was ever necessary.

I can't speak for the technical limitations on the NES and Gameboy RPGs but I would guess part of the initial appeal of video game random encounters was that it was very reminiscent of Dungeons and Dragons random encounters and DnD was a major inspiration for Final Fantasy and other RPGs. As to why it stuck around all the way until FF10, I would guess it was just part of what Square decided to build their gameplay systems around and refined around and fans just accepted it, some even defending the concept.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 27, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So, I started up the ffx-2 side of the HD collection, and threw this new "festivalist" class onto Yuna to try it out, and she throws down a 1.7k firaga on the first boss of the game. Not bad, if a bit broken.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

I can't speak for the technical limitations on the NES and Gameboy RPGs but I would guess part of the initial appeal of video game random encounters was that it was very reminiscent of Dungeons and Dragons random encounters and DnD was a major inspiration for Final Fantasy and other RPGs. As to why it stuck around all the way until FF10, I would guess it was just part of what Square decided to build their gameplay systems around and refined around and fans just accepted it, some even defending the concept.

That's a good point, although are Japanese RPGs as heavily built upon tabletop roleplaying as western RPGs? That was definitely the genesis of RPGs over here in the states, you had tons of tie-in D&D games even way back in the day.

Is D&D even a thing in Japan? I honestly have no idea. I know videogames and cosplay and stuff are huge over there, but I've never seen pictures of heard talk of tabletop. Not that tabletop is something you hear about a lot anyways, since its always just a few closeted nerds playing.

But yeah, lots of game design goes back to tabletop, and that's where most of the pure-random mechanics come from and I hate it. Games can do such better things than pure-random systems, but people use it because they don't know any better or because its easy. Its lazy. There's a few things that make sense to be random, but generally otherwise there should be all kinds of psuedo-random limitations placed on those rolls.

Like, getting loot drops. Having one person spend 100 hours to get a rare item that somebody else gets lucky and gets in 2 minutes, that's just bad design. Especially in a single player game. There should always be bounds (Player will get drop X after at least 5 kills or at most 50 kills, for instance)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Is D&D even a thing in Japan? I honestly have no idea.

Yes; or, rather, it was. I'm going to offhandedly say that TTRPGs are on the decline in every country, but D&D was certainly played in Japan. You might've heard of Record of Lodoss War, which was originally a serialized "replay" (published transcripts of a D&D campaign). This wasn't a novel concept, either. There's been plenty of replays for all sorts of different TTRPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a good point, although are Japanese RPGs as heavily built upon tabletop roleplaying as western RPGs? That was definitely the genesis of RPGs over here in the states, you had tons of tie-in D&D games even way back in the day.

Yes. D&D was also a thing in Japan and was one of the stated starting points for Final Fantasy. (Thus the original FF1 magic system.) It was fairly popular and Japan has its own brand of tabletop gaming that spun off a similar origin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Yes; or, rather, it was. I'm going to offhandedly say that TTRPGs are on the decline in every country, but D&D was certainly played in Japan. You might've heard of Record of Lodoss War, which was originally a serialized "replay" (published transcripts of a D&D campaign). This wasn't a novel concept, either. There's been plenty of replays for all sorts of different TTRPGs.

If WOTC ever really wanted to market D&D to the mainstream they should just hire a bunch of celebrities to do a replay campaign, have it made into a TV show using CG, and then dub in the celebrities' voices.

Celebrity D&D! It'd be huge, I tell ya.

And thats interesting, that both RPGs styles came from tabletop. Makes sense, I guess, that's essentially what RPGs mean. (Rarely any role-playing at all but instead dice rolling and stat fiddling)

And yeah, Final Fantasy 1 had spells per day like D&D did, which was weird.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, getting loot drops. Having one person spend 100 hours to get a rare item that somebody else gets lucky and gets in 2 minutes, that's just bad design. Especially in a single player game. There should always be bounds (Player will get drop X after at least 5 kills or at most 50 kills, for instance)

This is a good point and a lot of games have started getting around to making loot less frustrating. FF14 fixed a lot of the extremely annoying loot issues FF11 had and in my mind, if Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, and other series are going to move more towards the MMO gameplay model, they better make sure they take the modernized version of the MMO loot model (guaranteed drops and quests, special currency for high-end equipment) and not the old skinner box model that for some reason I can't fathom some recent games have fallen back on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

D&D is really popular in Japan although they tend to stick with 2nd edition AD&D, 3rd, 3.5, 4th and 5th never really caught on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actually, every step except getting the weapon and Nexus are being adjusted. Tharvanian Myst is 150 soldiery instead of 300 myth, more than double the drop rate on atma, Animus books will be 500 soldiery instead of 1500 myth and Alexandrite maps will be 400 soldiery instead of 800 myth.

Meanwhile, in FFXI: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3577538&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post435707463

It's worth noting that the atma drop rate was ~1% last I heard, so "more than doubled" doesn't mean a whole lot~