Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

Is there a companion that Who nerds don't loving despise?
Donna and everyone who says otherwise is wrong. Which is wrong because people transfer their hate of Catherine Tate over into Donna and I'm sure there's a sect of people out there that at least hate every single companion because they weren't "like them enough" or various forms of stupid. They probably also write DW fanfiction where they are the companion and stuff.

Also Selfie is good, but not everyone likes Kapnek's style of humour, but it's definitely coming through now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Is there a companion that Who nerds don't loving despise?

Donna and Clara are fine in my book.

Amy was godfuckingawful, but it wasn't Karen Gillian's fault.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

IRQ posted:

Amy was godfuckingawful, but it wasn't Karen Gillian's fault.
Amy was fun for a while but is completely overshadowed by Amy+Rory.

Also Clara has been really fun this season but I'm expecting Moffat to Moffat so who knows what's going to happen...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway, the reason they hate them is the same reason why they can't ever have decent female characters on Supernatural: the fans all want to gently caress the main characters. If you bitch about a companion its because you want to gently caress Dr. Who.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I guess it's good then that they went with a gently caress ugly doctor this time around.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I genuinely enjoy watching Doctor Who but I don't really go around trying to guess what's supposed to happen next or spend my waking moments dissecting each scene for clues and poo poo that might mean something for the finale. I maybe make a post or two each week on SA if I care to in DW-related stuff, maybe talk to some friends about it, mostly surface-level stuff. Maybe my tastes have changed over the years but something about how Steven Moffat running DW really doesn't seem to work, or simply put it has some good highs but hits really low lows. I don't think I can recall anything else that has maintained that pattern other than maybe Glee (and even then it just stopped and started going into freefall instead).

If anything it's a little weird to have him running a show in American style (he doesn't solo write the episodes like most British series might) and then there doesn't seem to be much quality control in recent years that is pretty damning considering he's supposed to be also overseeing all the work he hands out (which is the whole point of having a showrunner in the first place), especially when it isn't even 20+ episode seasons like American broadcast stuff and only really half that load.

I mean I won't go and lambast this season because I thoroughly enjoyed most of it but which it gets lovely, it really goes for broke sometimes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sober posted:

I genuinely enjoy watching Doctor Who but I don't really go around trying to guess what's supposed to happen next or spend my waking moments dissecting each scene for clues and poo poo that might mean something for the finale. I maybe make a post or two each week on SA if I care to in DW-related stuff, maybe talk to some friends about it, mostly surface-level stuff. Maybe my tastes have changed over the years but something about how Steven Moffat running DW really doesn't seem to work, or simply put it has some good highs but hits really low lows. I don't think I can recall anything else that has maintained that pattern other than maybe Glee (and even then it just stopped and started going into freefall instead).

If anything it's a little weird to have him running a show in American style (he doesn't solo write the episodes like most British series might) and then there doesn't seem to be much quality control in recent years that is pretty damning considering he's supposed to be also overseeing all the work he hands out (which is the whole point of having a showrunner in the first place), especially when it isn't even 20+ episode seasons like American broadcast stuff and only really half that load.

I mean I won't go and lambast this season because I thoroughly enjoyed most of it but which it gets lovely, it really goes for broke sometimes.

You know, this is exactly what someone who wants to gently caress Dr. Who would say.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Just a heads up, watching SNL at 10:30 was fuckin' weird

How do you Central Time Zone people handle that on a daily basis?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't, I DVR it and watch it the next day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mo0 posted:

It's revenge for all of us being confused by "News at 11" jokes for half our lives.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mo0 posted:

I just assume CT people do everything an hour early. Start work at 7, eat lunch at 11, sing its "4 O'Clock Somewhere," etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

It's revenge for all of us being confused by "News at 11" jokes for half our lives.

When I was a kid, I was very confused by WGN's "7 o'clock movie" always starting at 8. Then I learned about WGN being based out of Chicago, and time zones. Still always felt weird to me, but I did live the privileged "East Coast Time Zone" life.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I think it'd be pretty cool to have stuff start any hour earlier. If I actually watched anything live I guess.

e: would never want to leave god's true time zone though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

zoux posted:

Anyway, the reason they hate them is the same reason why they can't ever have decent female characters on Supernatural: the fans all want to gently caress the main characters. If you bitch about a companion its because you want to gently caress Dr. Who.

What's wrong with finding the TARDIS attractive? She's got lovely dimensions! :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

You know, this is exactly what someone who wants to gently caress Dr. Who would say.
I forgot for a minute I was posting on the SomethingAwful Forums, what a waste of time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
When I was younger I tried chasing that time zone high. Living in the east meant I got to see everything three hours earlier than people on the west coast, but that wasn't enough for me. No, once I had the taste of that power I needed more. So I went to Halifax, but that only gave me an extra hour and once you have three, one more just won't cut it. I hopped a plane to London. That gave me a total of five hours, but why stop there? Why stop anywhere? From London I went to Finland, 9 hours, then to Moscow for 10. I couldn't stop there. I just couldn't. 10 hours was such a rush, such an incredible high. Imagine how great I was to be ten hours in the future of those slobs on the west coast, so I kept going. From Moscow I flew Sydney where I enjoyed a full 18 hours. I was so close. So close to hitting that ultimate high. From Sydney I hopped a plane to Honolulu, 21 hours. So close. In Honolulu I boarded a plane and watched the time zones tick under me. 22 hours. 23 hours.. and then everything went black. I awoke a day later in San Diego, hourless. Everything I hoped to gain--that magnificent high--gone. I was just another schlub, living three hours behind the people on the east coast.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The joke doesn't work because regardless of timezone, tv shows are first broadcast in North America, and then several months later in the rest of the world.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Hard to make a point when you type like an infant.

GreenNight, if you'll allow me to pontificate, you are a dumbass.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ravane posted:

GreenNight, if you'll allow me to pontificate, you are a dumbass.

I'm sorry, did Z-Nation put a cramp into your panties again?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I like Clara but I also kinda don't because sometimes it feels like she escaped from some alternate universe Gilmore Girls that takes place in Britan.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sober posted:

Donna and everyone who says otherwise is wrong. Which is wrong because people transfer their hate of Catherine Tate over into Donna and I'm sure there's a sect of people out there that at least hate every single companion because they weren't "like them enough" or various forms of stupid. They probably also write DW fanfiction where they are the companion and stuff.

Also Selfie is good, but not everyone likes Kapnek's style of humour, but it's definitely coming through now.

If you're British, chances are you don't like Tate mainly because of her lovely sketch show. However, she was the best companion because she wasn't written as a love interest. It let them play with the dynamic a lot more by making her a strong-willed woman who never accepted the Dr's whole 'Oh aren't I brilliant?' thing.

Despite Gillen's winning performance, Amy Pond's Dr obsession just never worked, and says a lot about Moffat. But then he's a very problematic writer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I'm sorry, did Z-Nation put a cramp into your panties again?

Wasn't this week's great? "IT'S A ZOONAME!"

That name doesn't even make sense. :allears:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

Wasn't this week's great? "IT'S A ZOONAME!"

That name doesn't even make sense. :allears:

Z-unami (noun): A great flood of zombies.

C'mon. The show is already bad, you shouldn't have to reach so hard to criticize it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Manos del Sino posted:

Z-unami (noun): A great flood of zombies.

C'mon. The show is already bad, you shouldn't have to reach so hard to criticize it.

No you're misunderstanding me, I love the show.

And yes I got that it was a bad pun on a tsunami, it just sounded so dumb!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why didn't they call it a zombocom

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Ahahahaha DC just won't quit with this poo poo.

David Goyer is developing a TV show called Krypton. I'll give you three guesses what it's about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I guess it's good then that they went with a gently caress ugly doctor this time around.

And the time before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That sounds like it might be a little expensive for network TV. Although not especially surprising they're thinking about it considering how much people liked science bad rear end Jor-El.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this? posted:

That sounds like it might be a little expensive for network TV. Although not especially surprising they're thinking about it considering how much people liked science bad rear end Jor-El.

Hahahaha, its not going to be Middle Earth Krypton from Man of Steel, it's going to be Vancouver Forest Krypton with occasional location shoots in futuristic looking buildings.

It's going to be Caprica.

They don't even have loving super powers while on Krypton.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

WOW! Finally, a chemistry documentary focusing on the beauty of noble gases! I've always delighted in the exploits of Sir William Ramsay, the man who discovered Krypton!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jesus, it'll be like if someone made a Batman TV show without Batman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I HATE Catherine Tate but I actually really like Donna and she definitely has the best story and development of any Dr. Who companion I saw. Yeah, she's annoying and hateable at first but that develops into someone I really like.

And actually I recent finished off The Office and I felt the same way about her. She starts off super annoying but by the end develops into a reasonably likable and funny character.

So is that what she does? Is Tate's entire bit to be as obnoxious and likable to start so that when she becomes a more likable character you're so relieved and happy?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahahaha, its not going to be Middle Earth Krypton from Man of Steel, it's going to be Vancouver Forest Krypton with occasional location shoots in futuristic looking buildings.

It's going to be Caprica.

They don't even have loving super powers while on Krypton.
Hey at least then Krypton will seem like an actual place people lived on, not like MoS Krypton which looks like sci-fi nerd wank with dumb towering spires and poo poo that probably has no functionality other than looking cool on-screen. You know, like most sci-fi environments.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Jor-El: "Son, I don't want you going out there like some kind of MARTIAN MANHUNTER"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"You hear about this alien? He's really intelligent, he's a real BRAINIAC"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What a strange thing to happen, how bizarre...o

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So we should expect a bevy of DC prequel shows to arrive in the wake of Gotham then?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Let's hope not because Gotham is bad

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ben Edlund joined the writing staff, though. Tonight's episode is the first one he's written. I'm optimistic that he might be able to turn the show around, dude understands how to balance crazy campy supernatural poo poo with resonant emotional arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A Superman show about a teenage Clark Kent growing up in Smallville would be incredible. They could call it The Kents.

• Locked thread