Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

theflyingorc posted:

The accent slips were pretty noticeable as Carcetti.

I get the point being made, though. He just has this weird energy that throws me off, and I want Strange to feel like somebody who believes his own BS. I wouldn't boycott the movie or anything.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Gillen. Granted, I haven't watched The Wire, which seems to constantly get great acclaim.

But in GoT, he hams it up a ton. Yes, I know the character is acting and lying, but he just throws me out of the story with alot of his lines. He reminds me of the top actor at a community college that doesn't have any subtlety because he is emoting too much.

Then the only other two films I have seen him in are Dark Knight Rises and 12 Rounds. He was out right crappy in Dark Knight and he played a good DVD movie of the week bad guy with John Cena.

I think he would at least have to have a really strong supporting cast with Dr Strange. I really can't see him carrying an entire movie by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Havoc904 posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about Gillen. Granted, I haven't watched The Wire, ...

Go watch The Wire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gillen was great in The Wire but I feel like he's gotten progressively worse in everything I've seen him in.

edit: speaking of people who seemed cool at first but gradually revealed that they actually kinda suck, Benedict Cumberbatch is gonna be Doctor Strange

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 27, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Latest is that it's Cumberpatch: http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-movie-cast-862815/

I'm cool with this. I know he's been in a couple #nerdgate films so there will be a lot of bitching and moaning on the internet, but I think he's legitimately a far better actor than many of the people that were mentioned as options.

Still would have preferred Phoenix. I'm imagining a modern Dr. Strange as living in the modern equivalent of the Village (Brooklyn? poo poo, that's probably out of date too) and tripping balls on his Eye of Agamotto. Phoenix would have been perfect. I hope they avoid turning him into Dr Wholock Holmes and try to make him kind of cool and aloof instead.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
What a strange casting choice. :haw:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, I don't see him pulling of Strange's wannabe charm.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm not sure this is legit. It is too.... tumblr catnip to be real.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I hope they film on the surface of the sun because I'm tired of hearing how great Cummerbund is when he's flat and boring in everything I've seen him in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Basically.

Sion posted:

Well, literally every comic news source is reporting as if it's a done deal, although they have no source other than the original Deadline article that only mentions negotiations. I suppose everyone just considers Deadline a reputable enough source to deem it official.

I'm do hope that it's just Deadline jumping the gun, but that seems unlikely.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Sion posted:

Ming Na tweeted about it. https://twitter.com/MingNa/status/526826472778891264

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I hope they avoid turning him into Dr Wholock Holmes and try to make him kind of cool and aloof instead.
You seem to be implying that his Holmes is quite the hugger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

I hope they film on the surface of the sun because I'm tired of hearing how great Cummerbund is when he's flat and boring in everything I've seen him in.

Agreed 200%

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I really like him, and I think he has a good look for the character, but don't know how crazy I am about him as a "big" presence like Strange.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

redbackground posted:

You seem to be implying that his Holmes is quite the hugger.

Yeah, you are right, I guess I want a different kind of "aloof". Less dispassion born of staggering intellect and more apathy as a result of witnessing other worldly horrors and phenomena.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cumberbutt has a great voice and was entertaining on Sherlock, he's a good choice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, you are right, I guess I want a different kind of "aloof". Less dispassion borne out of staggering intellect and more apathy as a result of witnessing other worldly horrors and phenomena.

Right, but that's not Strange at the start, Strange at the start is an staggering intelectual and very good at his job, but just hates everyone, and is an rear end in a top hat. So since we are going to be doing Sherlock references for a while, he's more like Mycroft from the Moffat Sherlock series than Sherlock himeslf.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Cumberbutt has a great voice and was entertaining on Sherlock, he's a good choice.

Yeah, I can hang with it. Don't know if he can pull off the facial hair, but I can't wait to see him flying around in an amazing technicolor smoking jacket.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Down with Benedict Cybertron as Strange. Good choice. Why should we hate him? What's #nerdgate?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh fanboys are going to hate him because girls like him (I'm not saying that if you hate him you are an insufferable fanboy so don't get defensive) but this movie is going to make a bazillion dollars.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Little Mac posted:

Down with Benedict Cybertron as Strange. Good choice. Why should we hate him? What's #nerdgate?

His fandom is particularly insufferable.

Which, in my opinion, isn't a very good reason to dislike him, but whatever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't tumbler or whatever the verb is so I'm not exposed to his crazy fans but his ranges are "quiet thought" and "simmer with anger" in everything people tell me he's great in.

In essence "Sherlock? More like Snore-lots!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 27, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

His fandom is particularly insufferable.

Which, in my opinion, isn't a very good reason to dislike him, but whatever.

So two types of insufferable fandoms will be there opening night.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Madkal posted:

So two types of insufferable fandoms will be there opening night.

that's very optimistic of you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Loki vs Doctor Strange fighting in a metaphysical plane where there's no need for clothes.

There, movie makes $2 billion dollars in a month.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Loki vs Doctor Strange fighting in a metaphysical plane where there's no need for clothes.

There, movie makes $2 billion dollars opening weekend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You'll all love him in a year when the trailer comes out and hd throws open his cape and shout "by the hoary hosts of hoggoth!!!".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the thing I'm concerned about even more than his acting chops: I don't think he can pull off the Strange-stache.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

Basically.
Well, literally every comic news source is reporting as if it's a done deal, although they have no source other than the original Deadline article that only mentions negotiations. I suppose everyone just considers Deadline a reputable enough source to deem it official.

I'm do hope that it's just Deadline jumping the gun, but that seems unlikely.

Variety and THR are reporting it too.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

You'll all love him in a year when the trailer comes out and hd throws open his cape and shout "by the hoary hosts of hoggoth!!!".

Dude managed to make Smaug the giant gently caress-off dragon's dialogue a snoozefest, so I don't see why we should expect any different from the Sorcerer Supreme.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Dude managed to make Smaug the giant gently caress-off dragon's dialogue a snoozefest, so I don't see why we should expect any different from the Sorcerer Supreme.

I haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but everything I've heard is the complete opposite of that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Unmature posted:

I haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but everything I've heard is the complete opposite of that.

Maybe it's just me, then, but his performance in those scenes was the most boring and overblown bits in an already boring and overblown film. I genuinely do not understand his appeal, since he always sticks out as the weakest part of everything I've seen him in (except for Sherlock, but that's because no actor can be as bad as Moffat's writing).

Edit: Hiddleston's fanbase is just as obnoxious, but I get that because Hiddleston actually has like, charisma and screen presence.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 28, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

Maybe it's just me, then, but his performance in those scenes was the most boring and overblown bits in an already boring and overblown film. I genuinely do not understand his appeal, since he always sticks out as the weakest part of everything I've seen him in (except for Sherlock, but that's because no actor can be as bad as Moffat's writing).

Edit: Hiddleston's fanbase is just as obnoxious, but I get that because Hiddleston actually has like, charisma and screen presence.

Oh man that was my favorite part of the movie. I loved all the dragon dialogue "My teeth are SWORDS" and all that stuff it was super loving awesome. Had no idea it was Cumberbun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is basically my first exposure to Benedict Cumberbatch and about all I know of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GnLDJAgrws

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Cumberbatch and he should be a good Dr. Strange.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cumberbatch is a great actor with more range than he gets to show off and I'm looking forward to him as Strange, but my god the script is going to be really loving consequential, even more so than the rest of the MCU. If they don't keep a good dose of psychedelic fun (without winking) it runs the risk of being dire and portentous and that would be terrible.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm mixed on this, if only because it seems so.... dated.

Like, it's too A list and current for Marvel to go "Let's hire this immensely and immediately popular actor from three of the biggest nerd culture things going on right now."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So I guess there is a special press event for Marvel Studios tomorrow.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marvel-press-event-oct-28-2014-10

Reminds me of Apple's events. I'm pretty excited!

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
I'm very pleased that Mr. Cumberbatch is getting the role. He was my favorite from all the names that were being bandied about. Apart from pie in the sky fantasy casting like George Clooney or Viggo Mortensen.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dude is a solidly good actor who has both the most vocal fans and most vocal haters. I'm sure he will be great in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They are saving George Clooney for Moonknight so he can be Batman twice.

• Locked thread