Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SMERSH Mouth posted:

drat. Yeah.

But it's strange: that app's background process is basically a continuous GPS receiver that constantly updates location. I have two options in app settings: get location data always/never. Choosing never breaks the functionality of the app. I tried 'killing the process' in the app switcher. Will see if that does anything...

I never had this problem with the app on my iPhone 5.

Could be that something changed with iOS 8 that's making the app check for location more often. If you don't use the app regularly, what you could do is have location disabled for the app until you want to use it, at which point you'd just go into Settings and reenable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I used to have a Motorola Milestone, and now I have an iPhone 4 which I like because it doesn't crash as much. What should I get for my next phone?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bay posted:

I used to have a Motorola Milestone, and now I have an iPhone 4 which I like because it doesn't crash as much. What should I get for my next phone?

You're in the iPhone thread, so you already know what we're gonna say.

(Honestly any flagship released this year has its advantages, try a few out in store and see what you like.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

a bay posted:

If you like iPhone, you should always get the newest one if you're in the market for an upgrade.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I tried 'killing the process' in the app switcher. Will see if that does anything...

It shouldn't. Dismissing an app in the app switcher does nothing for battery life, as you're just reopening an app from suspension when you use it. The only reason to use it is when an app is suspended in a buggy state and needs a fresh opening.

I don't know anything about Topo maps, but background location services shouldn't be using that much battery life. Contact the developer.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

serebralassazin posted:

You don't have to unlock. I did this the other day. You can swipe away the default card and it will show the other ones. Tap the one you want to use and then use finger to authenticate.

Oh... Well thats good to know now. I juggle 3 cards in Apple Pay for rewards.

Also picked up the leather Apple case today and it's easily changed my mind about cases on my iPhone. If only I hadn't been stubborn about it before dropping it this weekend.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Having the alarm turn off because I rested my thumb on the touchID sensor while I pick up my phone off the bedside table is getting really loving annoying.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Having the alarm turn off because I rested my thumb on the touchID sensor while I pick up my phone off the bedside table is getting really loving annoying.

Wouldn't that be the desired behavior since the alarm presumably did its job?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So I've been getting really bad battery life on my new iPhone 6. So I took a peep at my battery info:

...shouldn't the standby:usage ratio be not 1 to 1? It's been sitting in my pocket unused for most of the day.

e: nvm. Everyone already jumped on you for that map app.

Background app updates have been killing some people's battery life. I think Facebook has the been the biggest offender. I don't know if it's lazy coding that doesn't work well with iOS 8 or iOS 8 that introduced a bug.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 28, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wouldn't that be the desired behavior since the alarm presumably did its job?

I can pick up my phone in my sleep so no, not really. without starting a debate on sleeping habits, I snooze because I just take a long time to wake up.

All it would take to change is make the screen stay off while the alarm sounded, requiring the home button be pressed to deactivate the alarm, you know, like every single iphone before touchID.

It wouldnt be so bad if not for the fact the 6 has lovely rounded edges so essentially the only way you can pick it up is with the charging end hanging off the edge of the table.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had the Podcasts app go runaway in the background once and drain my battery to 60% two hours after I got to work. I switched to an iPhone 6 from an Android phone and it felt like home.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
Crossposted in the Android thread: I'm in the market for a new phone, but I'm on Airvoice (prepaid AT&T MVNO) so I'll be paying full price. I have two questions I'm hoping to get answered:

1. Has anyone had any experience using a new iPhone with Airvoice?
2. Is it possible to completely disable GSM?

I honestly can't understand why GSM buzz isn't a bigger issue for these devices which supposedly double as music players. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering buying an iPod and going back to a dumb phone.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
1 what is GSM buzz and why are you the only person I've ever seen mention it?
2 why would you want to try to disable the GSM radio- the very technology that enables your cellular service?

Maybe an iPod would work better for you

Edit: oh wait is it that sound that speakers make sometimes when a phone is nearby? I haven't heard that sound since 2009.

1997 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 28, 2014

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
GSM buzz is that thing where your phone makes any speakers, headphones, etc, in a 5-10 foot radius emit loud buzzing regardless of the volume level, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2OSZagyqPQ

As for why I'd want to disable it, while leaving WiFi on, watch that video. I thought everyone had heard of this and was just putting up with it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I can pick up my phone in my sleep so no, not really. without starting a debate on sleeping habits, I snooze because I just take a long time to wake up.

All it would take to change is make the screen stay off while the alarm sounded, requiring the home button be pressed to deactivate the alarm, you know, like every single iphone before touchID.

It wouldnt be so bad if not for the fact the 6 has lovely rounded edges so essentially the only way you can pick it up is with the charging end hanging off the edge of the table.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone screen has always turned on when the alarm sounds. It sounds like you've trained yourself to turn your alarm off.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Novo posted:

GSM buzz is that thing where your phone makes any speakers, headphones, etc, in a 5-10 foot radius emit loud buzzing regardless of the volume level, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2OSZagyqPQ

As for why I'd want to disable it, while leaving WiFi on, watch that video. I thought everyone had heard of this and was just putting up with it.

You can place the phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi so the cell radio is off, that should do what you want it to. What phone do you use now that does that? The last time I heard it was when I had an iPhone 3G and some old Klipsch computer speakers.

1997 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 28, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Novo posted:

I thought everyone had heard of this and was just putting up with it.

I definitely do not put up with that.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

1997 posted:

You can place the phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi so the cell radio is off, that should do what you want it to. What phone do you use now that does that? The last time I heard it was when I had an iPhone 3G.

Holy poo poo I didn't think this would work but it seems to. Thanks!

Edit: iPhone 4

Novo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 28, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure the iPhone screen has always turned on when the alarm sounds. It sounds like you've trained yourself to turn your alarm off.

yeah you're right, though you had to interact with the phone by swiping and entering a PIN if you had one to disable the alarm.

now just picking the loving thing up with your thumb on the button makes it unlock and kill the alarm.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Novo posted:

I do remember the buzz, but I haven't had that buzz in a long, long time. I keep my phone close to my computer speakers all the time and have never heard it with an iPhone for the last 3 or 4 models. In fact I have a clock-radio charging dock next to my bed and it never buzzes.

I realize this is anecdotal, but I am on ATT as well for what it's worth. It may have to do with the phone using higher frequency bands for LTE, but if you have a weak signal it tries to grab a signal from the lower bandwidths available and those are what cause the buzzing. I seem to remember copper wiring picking up transmission bursts on 800MHz which is probably when your phone is on Edge (maybe 3G) speeds.

Selane
May 19, 2006

1997 posted:

1 what is GSM buzz and why are you the only person I've ever seen mention it?
2 why would you want to try to disable the GSM radio- the very technology that enables your cellular service?

Maybe an iPod would work better for you

Edit: oh wait is it that sound that speakers make sometimes when a phone is nearby? I haven't heard that sound since 2009.

He's using a phone from 2010, that would explain it. I mean, come on, a Youtube video of some guy's oldass brick dumbphone causing it isn't going to convince people it's a serious problem.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's some Mars Volta song that has the GSM buzz in it and it loving rules there, but I can't remember which one now.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just use LTE, problem solved

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Selane posted:

He's using a phone from 2010, that would explain it. I mean, come on, a Youtube video of some guy's oldass brick dumbphone causing it isn't going to convince people it's a serious problem.

If the newer phones don't exhibit the problem then great. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to use a $600 phone for 5 years, especially if it's in good condition. I just saw that the newer phones still have GSM radios and wanted to make sure that they don't suffer this obvious drawback. Being able to disable the cellular radios but keep WiFi on is also an acceptable compromise.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just use LTE, problem solved

LTE can cause it too, just depends on the speakers. My phone (Verizon 6) definitely can cause buzz on LTE, but only through the speakerphone on my Cisco ipphone; my computer speakers don't buzz.

e: While newer phones have GSM radios, if they're camped on LTE the GSM portion of the radio is turned off - they don't maintain a GSM (incl. EDGE, which is just a GSM enhancement) connection unless they can't get an LTE/UMTS signal to work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah the noise only seems to come from older devices in my experience; I have a Verizon 6 that makes noise come out of my old rear end Rolm speakerphone at work, but nowhere else.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's some Mars Volta song that has the GSM buzz in it and it loving rules there, but I can't remember which one now.

This is really nostalgic for some reason. I really had no idea there was a term for it, let alone something everyone elese experienced.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

My 5s just popped up telling me about iOS 8.1. I've held off because of the scary battery and wifi issues. Should I just man up and update from iOS 7? I'm assuming it runs pretty well overall on the 5s?

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Social Animal posted:

My 5s just popped up telling me about iOS 8.1. I've held off because of the scary battery and wifi issues. Should I just man up and update from iOS 7? I'm assuming it runs pretty well overall on the 5s?

I don't know about the iPhone's but I was dumb and upgraded my iPad 2 and Safari has become unbearable, I wish I never upgraded. I wish I could downgrade.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Candy Dawn posted:

I don't know about the iPhone's but I was dumb and upgraded my iPad 2 and Safari has become unbearable, I wish I never upgraded. I wish I could downgrade.

Yeah, my 3 wasn't much more useful with 8 than 7, and it definitely was slower.

One thing you should try is to go to settings -> general -> accessibility -> increase contrast and turn on reduce transparency. It helps.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just bought a 6 but now I have to replace all my chargers since the last phone I had was a 4S. Is there a go-to aftermarket Lightning cable? There's got to be something better than paying $21 at the Apple Store.

I mean I just spent $850 on a phone so you'd think I'd be willing to throw in another $21 for a USB cable but yet here I am posting :sigh:

Monoprice is my go-to for cables, but it looks like theirs is out of stock?

edit: oh wait, I'm dumb. OK Monoprice it is, thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Monoprice or Amazon Basics.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

It's been perfect and awesome on my 5S, though if you only have one device the benefits aren't as awesome since the big changes are really just to notification centre and native versions of action items.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

tuyop posted:

It's been perfect and awesome on my 5S, though if you only have one device the benefits aren't as awesome since the big changes are really just to notification centre and native versions of action items.

Cool maybe I should should save it for the weekend in case poo poo hits the fan though.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Just got some groceries and saw a terminal that supported apple pay. Used a credit card on my phone and she asked for my ID and the card on the screen.

Idk what she was looking for, but its mostly blank. I had to go find the app, then she wanted the real card.

I ended up handing her the wrong card. She was then satisfied.

:allears:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 28, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Martytoof posted:

$21 for a USB cable

Someone told me that a store called Home Goods has them for $5. I assume this person is confused but if you have one nearby you could check. It's basically like Marhall's or TJ/TK Maxx.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are there still bad Lightning cables? I bought a $10 cable with a car charger from the gas station a few months ago and it's still running strong and I haven't engulfed in flames yet.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

tuyop posted:

Thanks for the post I decided to update instead of waiting and so far everything seems great. Definitely not as dramatic as 6 to 8, only thing I notice is the keyboard and recent contacts.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

spunkshui posted:

Just got some groceries and saw a terminal that supported apple pay. Used a credit card on my phone and she asked for my ID and the card on the screen.

Idk what she was looking for, but its mostly blank. I had to go find the app, then she wanted the real card.

I ended up handing her the wrong card. She was then satisfied.

:allears:

If it really supported Apple pay my answer would have been "no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Nonsense posted:

I know wifi issues seem to be persisting in my iPhone 5s since I updated to iOS 8 & 8.1 but I'm wondering if others have had issues only in certain apps or phone wide?

I thought for a time it was isolated for my phone on the Awful app, but it pretty much is plagued where it matters on my phone (safari, mail.app, tunein radio). I hope Apple will focus on it for the next point release, was hoping this would have disappeared as an issue with iOS 8.1.

I'm experiencing something like this since upgrading to 8 and 8.1 doesn't seem to fix it. I couldn't seem to find any problems in Safari but the problem really shows itself when I'm using Awful. Comments would take a long time to load or just not load at all while on wifi. Disabling wifi and switching to cellular data and suddenly it works without a hitch. Since I only use a few apps(Safari, Alien Blue, Awful) and that the problem only persists in Awful, it's pretty hard to bring my phone down to get it looked at.

The most important thing is that I don't even think it's the Awful app since everything works fine in iOS 7. I have tried every workaround posted by users in the apple discussion forums but no dice. Some users reported that it might even have to do with something at the router level but I'm not gonna go as far as replacing the router.

I'm still open to suggestions though.