Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A rural white lady gets wrong number texts in the middle of the night intended for a "drug guy", decides they need a lesson in life, etiquette and English.

You might be forgiven for thinking she's in her 60s or so but she's 32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Goosed it. posted:

While that's true, I wouldn't necessarily discourage your mum from getting acupuncture

I would. It's not generally regulated, and there's an alarming amount of people who come away from those sessions with burgeoning infections because not every acupuncturist gives a poo poo about hygiene. Yeah, fibro sucks, but having a staph infection or hepatitis on top of it is worse.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not entirely sure it's possible to discourage anyone from getting acupuncture if they weren't already turned off by the base concept.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

M42 posted:

Oh man. No screenshots cause mobile, but what do you even say when someone sharts "feminism had its place when women couldn't vote" onto the table? And then goes on to say about how feminism doesn't care about men raped by women, etc?

:monocle: apologized and said he was wrong, not even that BS "I'm sorry you got offended" bullshit. I think he's also like a teenager, so there's that.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would. It's not generally regulated, and there's an alarming amount of people who come away from those sessions with burgeoning infections because not every acupuncturist gives a poo poo about hygiene. Yeah, fibro sucks, but having a staph infection or hepatitis on top of it is worse.

And lots of people who go into hospitals come out with MRSA. I'm certainly not pro-accupuncture but there are risks associated with everything I guess.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

And lots of people who go into hospitals come out with MRSA. I'm certainly not pro-accupuncture but there are risks associated with everything I guess.

Yeah but getting someone non regulated to stick needles in your skin carries more risk than being in a hospital environment. It's more like going into a piercing studio or a tattoo parlor. Except with many more needles that you need to check are all fresh.

Human acupuncture can work with a placebo effect for people who believe in it. If you understand that it is no more effective than placebo don't waste your time, it's not going to work for you. And good god definitely do not get acupuncture for your pets, that poo poo is just hosed up and SO MANY vets offer it now. Your pet absolutely does not understand any woo-woo surrounding the technique and instead it's just a scary experience of getting needles stuck in them for no reason.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
And that's the other danger with this poo poo: it encourages garbage thought. If you're that hard up for a placebo, go buy some sugar pills and be done with it. And for god's sake, keep your pets and children out of it. They trust you to keep them safe.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

An Angry Bug posted:

And that's the other danger with this poo poo: it encourages garbage thought. If you're that hard up for a placebo, go buy some sugar pills and be done with it. And for god's sake, keep your pets and children out of it. They trust you to keep them safe.

No dude they should totally get acupuncture for their cat.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

DemeaninDemon posted:

No dude they should totally get acupuncture for their cat.

Huh, I should have known Austin has a pet acupuncture clinic.

http://evenflowholisticvet.com/

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Flyinglemur posted:

Generally, when you go to a hospital, you are going to receive actual medical treatment for your ails. If you pick up a secondary infection, that is unfortunate, but generally you've received treatment for your primary illness.

With acupuncture, you just got a secondary infection and your inflamed gallbladder is still a problem because getting poked with needles doesn't do gently caress all. So you can see the issue I'm having here.

The only thing acupuncture has a proven efficacy towards is reducing your bank account balance.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
The NIH and the NHS both have guidelines on acupuncture. Neither set of guidelines says, "Don't do it! It's high risk!" both say to check credentials, and that the effectiveness of acupuncture is unproven.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/introduction

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Acupuncture/Pages/Risks.aspx

Back on topic, recently a radio star on the CBC was fired over undisclosed allegations of sexual abuse. I'm expecting my news feed to get pretty interesting.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The IT band in my leg seized to the point I couldn't even walk, and I went to the physiotherapist at my university who did two rounds of acupuncture on it. My leg got better, I didn't get a disease, and I could walk again.

There's my anecdotal story of the day. :tipshat:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm glad rest and time let your leg heal. The human body is pretty neat.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Turn left thread, stay away from a stupid derail

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Goosed it. posted:

Back on topic, recently a radio star on the CBC was fired over undisclosed allegations of sexual abuse. I'm expecting my news feed to get pretty interesting.

Rather, a guy stuck his dick in crazy, and the old white men who operate CBC think it's gross that people are into BDSM.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

kannonfodder posted:

Rather, a guy stuck his dick in crazy, and the old white men who operate CBC think it's gross that people are into BDSM.

I don't know about that. I know a few people who have been stranger groped by Jian. If he is into bdsm, that doesn't mean he wasn't abusive. His PR team is managing their message exceptionally well, and with the lawsuit and employee dismissal laws the CBC can't really respond.

I think the story lies somewhere between the women's accounts and his.

brain.centipedes
Feb 6, 2010

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kit Walker posted:

I'm glad rest and time let your leg heal. The human body is pretty neat.

Yeah, it just magically healed itself nearly overnight after 3 months of continually getting worse by the day. It was real fuckin neat, I tells ya.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, it just magically healed itself nearly overnight after 3 months of continually getting worse by the day. It was real fuckin neat, I tells ya.

Well your anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness of acupuncture totally negates all scientific study. Thank you for your contribution to medicine.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't know anyone here except blue, this showed up because she commented.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Picnic Princess posted:

Yes that is literally how it works, you are correct.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is the right way to deal with idiots.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The first picture is obviously a dick.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Literally anything with two parallel lines in it is the Twin Towers. Hey guys, did you notice that when you write the number 11, it looks just like the Twin Towers with little flags at the top? Or should I say: "false flags"?! :tinfoil:

I have to disagree with blue, though. Even after having it explained what I'm supposed to see in the bottom image I still can't see it. :psyduck: Unless it's supposed to be prognosticating the time the time a giant jellyfish attacked an apartment building.

Gimnbo posted:

The first picture is obviously a dick.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who saw that at first.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Hey, it's my first idiot on social media! I know it's gamergate, but my facebook has slim pickings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's municipal election time in my city. And somebody on my feed has tried to sell his Facebook friends on the idea that not voting is a revolutionary act. According to him when I challenged him, I am a "sheep" for voting. I tried to explain to him that not voting just helps the incumbent (somebody he's criticized due to our high murder rate), generally, but he can't be arsed to listen.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Oct 27, 2014

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

This is a legit thing: http://www.migrainesurvival.com/orgasmic-headaches Usually nothing to worry about and if it's just a pre-orgasmic migraine, it can be treated with migraine medicines like pizotifen, but green is right, he should get it checked out.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Edit: gently caress it

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

[ ]edgy
[ ]real edgy
[ ]2edgy 4me
[ ](x)edgy (2x)me
[x]Now that's what I call edgy

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

That pic just makes me think of a frustrated creeper who has embraced PUA.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

Apropos of nothing, her's a query: What's going on with Titanic guy? Or that guy who was super enthused about becoming a Fireman? I miss those happy chappies.

Seriously. I demand a Firefighter Guy update.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

That pic just makes me think of a frustrated creeper who has embraced PUA.

The same dude also posted this so that seems pretty likely.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That person's at least 35, aren't they?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

It reads like old English if you pronounce it phonetically.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So why loving post it, then?

This reminds me of the surprisingly common argument against organ donation that somehow there is a conspiracy of doctors wherein practitioners are willing to risk losing their licenses and face prosecution and serious prison time by letting them die or actively killing them so that they can give their organs to younger patients.

I mean, not only is that the biggest breach of ethics I've ever heard and also a rather heinous crime, but also, I hear this from people who are worried about it when they're aging. Somehow, their lives are worth less if they're 60 and have congestive heart failure but they're worried their doctor will kill them for their lungs or something because "I'm old." Does that even make sense? Like, your organs are 60 years old, it's definitely worth prison time and the loss of my livelihood to take a failing organ on the off chance that it might make a sixteen-year-old lung cancer patient live a few more years.

I mean, I GUESS it's possible...in a world where doctors are evil, mustache-twirling villains.

E: sorry, I don't have any content. I culled my friends list down to bare bones, and everyone on there is sane. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you poor bastards.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Oct 28, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's municipal election time in my city. And somebody on my feed has tried to sell his Facebook friends on the idea that not voting is a revolutionary act. According to him when I challenged him, I am a "sheep" for voting. I tried to explain to him that not voting just helps the incumbent (somebody he's criticized due to our high murder rate), generally, but he can't be arsed to listen.

I have a bunch of non-voter friends that are really committed to the idea that if enough people don't vote then the people in power will recognize how flawed the system is or some stupid bullshit.

Trying to suggest that not voting only encourages the status quo just falls on deaf ears or engenders insults.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

You can't claim that you're not represented if you vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This reminds me of the surprisingly common argument against organ donation that somehow there is a conspiracy of doctors wherein practitioners are willing to risk losing their licenses and face prosecution and serious prison time by letting them die or actively killing them so that they can give their organs to younger patients.

I mean, not only is that the biggest breach of ethics I've ever heard and also a rather heinous crime, but also, I hear this from people who are worried about it when they're aging. Somehow, their lives are worth less if they're 60 and have congestive heart failure but they're worried their doctor will kill them for their lungs or something because "I'm old." Does that even make sense? Like, your organs are 60 years old, it's definitely worth prison time and the loss of my livelihood to take a failing organ on the off chance that it might make a sixteen-year-old lung cancer patient live a few more years.

I mean, I GUESS it's possible...in a world where doctors are evil, mustache-twirling villains.

E: sorry, I don't have any content. I culled my friends list down to bare bones, and everyone on there is sane. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you poor bastards.

It also doesn't make any sense from the recipients perspective. It would incredibly unethical to give them a 70yo pair of lungs or heart. Wouldn't the parents of the ten year old with a new heart kiiinnnda start asking questions when the kid suddenly has murmurs? Or heart attacks and one year later they are right back on the transplant list after spending however many thousands of dollars bribing the doctor in the first place to risk criminal charges? You don't think at least one family might blab after Timmy drops dead? All these conspiracies require hundreds if not thousands of people keeping their mouths shut, which just wouldn't happen, in reality.

• Locked thread