Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The frame rate on Hyrule Warriors is quite a bit worse than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

axleblaze posted:

Midna is sort of a cat.

She reminds me of whatever-the-hell species the Warner Bros (and Warner Sister) are supposed to be.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Lana is pretty cute.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Lana humming the Zelda theme while she uses the summoning gate to murder her enemies is pretty adorable.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

The frame rate on Hyrule Warriors is quite a bit worse than I expected.

Were you expecting 120 fps? it's consistently 30 or above for me unless i'm playing in co-op, or doing some hardcore wizzro action

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lana is an absurd anime and she is great.

"SOL-LEEE HAHAHA :haw:"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

Were you expecting 120 fps? it's consistently 30 or above for me unless i'm playing in co-op, or doing some hardcore wizzro action

I've definitely noticed sub-30 FPS in single player. Also the pop-in is horrendous and actively detrimental to gameplay at points. The performance is pretty subpar.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mabels big day posted:

Is it really a solid 30? I was having a hard time making out some of Impa's animations sometimes, for the purpose of knowing when to put in a charge attack. It isn't a complex enough game that that matters so much, but still...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it really a solid 30? I was having a hard time making out some of Impa's animations sometimes, for the purpose of knowing when to put in a charge attack. It isn't a complex enough game that that matters so much, but still...

I honestly really can't imagine how you can have trouble with Hyrule Warriors but not other DW games. The framerate is actually a lot more solid than DW8, Orochi 3 or Gundam Reborn. (And I played the first two on the PS4.) There may be something wrong with your system or your TV if you're having that much trouble.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly really can't imagine how you can have trouble with Hyrule Warriors but not other DW games. The framerate is actually a lot more solid than DW8, Orochi 3 or Gundam Reborn. (And I played the first two on the PS4.)
Really? I have played a million DW games and this definitely appears to be the worst. I don't suppose it's hardware problems or anything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? I have played a million DW games and this definitely appears to be the worst. I don't suppose it's hardware problems or anything?

It might be. Are you all patched up? The initial Japanese launch reported more serious framerate issues but there was a patch out shortly afterwards (and at launch for the other releases) which adjusted those. I've never played it without the patch so I donno how bad it was.

I mean it's still a Dynasty Warriors game so it ain't rock-solid by any means but it isn't anywhere near the disaster area that DW8 became whenever fire or too many enemies were onscreen or anything.

Edit: This isn't counting local co-op where the frame rate chugs pretty hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It might be. Are you all patched up? The initial Japanese launch reported more serious framerate issues but there was a patch out shortly afterwards (and at launch for the other releases) which adjusted those. I've never played it without the patch so I donno how bad it was.

I mean it's still a Dynasty Warriors game so it ain't rock-solid by any means but it isn't anywhere near the disaster area that DW8 became whenever fire or too many enemies were onscreen or anything.
The difference is that DW8 was 60fps sometimes, then automatically shifted to 30 when a certain number of enemies appeared, and then occasionally (like with fire) went below 30. Hyrule hasn't gone above the mid 20s for me I think. Even in menus it seems a little sluggish sometimes.

And yeah, the game downloaded a patch the first time it started.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
How rad would it be if you could a plug in a Mario Amiibo in the Captain Toad game and just trounce through all the levels kicking everything's rear end jumping around and being outrageously italian

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The difference is that DW8 was 60fps sometimes, then automatically shifted to 30 when a certain number of enemies appeared, and then occasionally (like with fire) went below 30. Hyrule hasn't gone above the mid 20s for me I think. Even in menus it seems a little sluggish sometimes.

It is definitely not supposed to be doing that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. If we end up picking up the console we'll probably pick up Mario Kart 8 + Mario 3D World. Would Tropical Freeze appeal to the super-casual gamer, or is the difficulty level on par with the DKC SNES games that I rage-quit on back in childhood?

Hyrule Warriors might be a tougher sell. I'd probably buy it, but the cutesier the and more colourful the graphics, the more likely it is my wife will join in on the game. If Hyrule Warriors had cats or something she'd be guaranteed to play it.

The newer DKC games are harder than the SNES series. Also are you married to my girlfriend?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would absolutely not recommend Tropical Freeze to a casual gamer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that sounds like something is straight-up wrong. The game has drops but 20 FPS constantly is more like how the local co-op gets.

Have you tried a different game at all?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 28, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that sounds like something is straight-up wrong. The game has drops but 20 FPS constantly is more like how the local co-op gets.

Have you tried a different game at all?
Yeah, Bayonetta 2 and NSMBU run like a dream. It's especially stark compared to Bayonetta 2.

I'll try it some more tonight and try to figure out if it's all in my head or something, but I was definitely having trouble judging the gaps between Impa's normal attack animations due to the low frame rate. I wanted to do her C3 basically every time because it's awesome, and only succeed occasionally. That has never happens to me in a Musou game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tropical Freeze has a really weird difficulty curve which is more of a difficulty cliff. Around the middle of world 3 it suddenly becomes hard as balls and stays that way until the end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, Bayonetta 2 and NSMBU run like a dream. It's especially stark compared to Bayonetta 2.

I'll try it some more tonight and try to figure out if it's all in my head or something, but I was definitely having trouble judging the gaps between Impa's normal attack animations due to the low frame rate. I wanted to do her C3 basically every time because it's awesome, and only succeed occasionally. That has never happens to me in a Musou game.

Impa has weird attacks. That probably doesn't help. Actually a lot of characters have kind of weird attacks. You'll press B three times and they'll swipe five times, and you'll think "oh poo poo I hit B five times, time to finish the combo" only you end up executing the C3 anyway because the basic 3-hit combo is five swipes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hedrigall posted:

Tropical Freeze has a really weird difficulty curve which is more of a difficulty cliff. Around the middle of world 3 it suddenly becomes hard as balls and stays that way until the end.

I didn't really notice it, personally.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

Impa has weird attacks. That probably doesn't help. Actually a lot of characters have kind of weird attacks. You'll press B three times and they'll swipe five times, and you'll think "oh poo poo I hit B five times, time to finish the combo" only you end up executing the C3 anyway because the basic 3-hit combo is five swipes.
Oh, so it might not be the frame rate? Honestly I couldn't figure out exactly what was going on. The frame rate is definitely very low for a Musou game though, I noticed that from the first moment I took control of Link at the beginning of the game. Samurai Warriors 4 (on the PS3) is smooth as butta in comparison.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 28, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

I didn't really notice it, personally.

Yeah, I didn't really notice that, either. I felt that the game managed to stick around a fitting level of difficulty, although it's pretty easy to get good at the game when you bash your head against a wall for hours on just the medals.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Tropical Freeze is brutal in a way that doesn't really jive with me. Unlike the DKC games on the SNES (barring a couple levels), you can't go back and get anything you might have missed because most of the levels destroy themselves around you. It adds a lot of spectacle and the levels are gorgeous, but I felt like I was never safe the whole time I played it. Then there are the rocket barrel levels where you have to be psychic to get all the collectables your first trip.

I beat Tropical Freeze and I liked it, but I have no drive to 100% it. This is in contrast to 3D World in which I happily beat everything (Except that torch lighting section. I wasn't happy during that. You know the one.) and Bayonetta 2 which I haven't even beaten yet but I already want to go back and do it all over again.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
There was like one level that left me without the drive to get TT medals, but I got the KONG letters and puzzle pieces for every single level.

I outright refused to do time trials on the bosses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Returns was way harder than Tropical Freeze

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rayman Legends is DKC for people who don't like to die.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so it might not be the frame rate? Honestly I couldn't figure out exactly what was going on. The frame rate is definitely very low for a Musou game though, I noticed that from the first moment I took control of Link at the beginning of the game. Samurai Warriors 4 (on the PS3) is smooth as butta in comparison.

I can't compare it against other Musou games. Hyrule Warriors definitely has framerate issues from time to time but it seemed to handle 30 FPS usually. But the pop-in is really fuckin' bad on the higher-density levels, and that has definitely been an issue in cases where I'd suddenly be surrounded by four captains because the game finally decided to load them into gameplay.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Returns was way harder than Tropical Freeze

that's probably just because you're better this time around, an there's no motion control

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rayman Legends is DKC for people who don't like to die.

I've never wanted to buy a game less in my entire life.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok the DKCTF difficulty cliff is maybe more around the start of world 5 now that I think about it. Goddamn world 5 is hard.

Rayman Legends is amazing and objectively better on Wii U than any other system.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Unless you want to play it single-player.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Austrian mook posted:

that's probably just because you're better this time around, an there's no motion control

Naw, the 3DS one doesn't have the motion controls and it's still harder than Tropical Freeze.

TF is better by miles, but I don't get the difficulty complaints (in relation to Returns) at all

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've always gotten wrecked by the level in world 2 where you gotta run away from an erupting volcano as rambi with tons of rocks and poo poo blowing up as you walk on it. I must have been missing something obvious because it took me until the end of the game to die as much as I did on that level.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

(That title either belongs to Super Meat Boy for challenging platformers or Super Mario Galaxy 2 for overall proficiency)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet for Best Game Design in a video game to date.

yeah I know it's a late response but this is serious stuff here if we're crowning best video game of all time

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Macaluso posted:

Naw, the 3DS one doesn't have the motion controls and it's still harder than Tropical Freeze.

TF is better by miles, but I don't get the difficulty complaints (in relation to Returns) at all

I've only beaten world 5 but I generally have found Tropical Freeze more difficult so far. Even though the 3ds version of Returns took out the motion controls I still died because of the controls sometimes for dumb reasons relating to not rolling because I hadn't been walking long enough. Tropical Freeze has a run button separate from rolling and I find it easier to control in general, but the parts that are difficult feel more rewarding to me because I feel like I'm dying because I was challenged by the game and not because of the control feeling less natural to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just played Samurai Warriors 4 back to back with Hyrule, and there really is no comparison. The lowest the frame rate ever gets in SW4 is higher than the highest frame rate in Hyrule.

edit: except the cutscenes in Hyrule, they run at a fine speed even though they appear to be in-engine.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 28, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think DKCR is kind of harder, but in an rear end in a top hat way. In Tropical Freeze you'll also die a lot, but it feels more like your own fault when you do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Returns is only harder because of the rocket barrel world and the fact that you die in one hit in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Does anyone have any experience of the Wii U loving up pen drives by somehow making them write-protected? I set a few demos to download before I went to work yesterday and they all failed with 'corrupted data' bar W101 and MH3U.

W101 plays fine but the MH3 demo hard locks the console with a message about contacting the manufacturer of my pen drive. Tried to delete the demos and format the drive but it just keeps telling me it's write protected. Tried fixing it various ways in Windows and no joy either :(

On a more positive note, is there any reason to buy the Wii U nunchuck along with the Wii mote? A place near me has both of them for cheap

• Locked thread