Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I never really got this complaint against Star Control 2. Outside of those planets and systems that actually have plot stuff in them, that is usually alluded to or hinted at by various conversations in the game, there's really no reason to go into the galaxy and mine out every single planet. Hell, I think destroying the Slylandro probes gives you more money than most planet hauls, and that doesn't take up any storage space and becomes trivially easy with a Spathi Eluder.

But I guess OCD is a rather crippling condition sometimes.

Probes are pretty hard for new players.

That said, without a manual (so you can't find the 'snake eating a elephant' constellation), and the bug with the mycon homeworld coordinates are also problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shotguns are only good if they sound like God slamming His car door.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just sort of naturally fell into stealth/pistol because the game initially makes stealth seem like the "correct" way to play and pistols are the only weapon you can hit the broadside of a barn with. AP is a really high highs and low lows kind of game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason in Shadow of Mordor when you get the Brand power it doesn't really make a lot of sense because you just start using it when someone tells you that you need to build up an army of orcs.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Kaubocks posted:

I made it out of Saudi Arabia last night, at least.

Still plan on sticking with it but I can see where the kinda mediocre critic reviews came from.
If it makes you feel better, it's universally agreed that the game improves quite a bit after Saudi Arabia. The locales get much more interesting, there are a lot more non-combat missions, and you'll get to start experiencing the extensive choice & consequence system that makes the fans of the game love it so much (myself included).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Personally I went through my first run of AP with Stealth and Hand to Hand combat. Firearms are for pussies, the only guns I need are my right arm and my left arm. :smug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason in Shadow of Mordor when you get the Brand power it doesn't really make a lot of sense because you just start using it when someone tells you that you need to build up an army of orcs.

Yeah, that was dumb. I get that you've technically been using brand to get Intel, but it comes across like "hmm, I can actually NOT kill them..." Kinda silly.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The sheer number of mediocre games that get a pass because their badly written knock-off wannabe Hollywood movie story is "so good" while a game like Alpha Protocol just kinda got slammed because the gunplay is wonky while having one of the deepest branching storylines ever done and actual meaningful choices is really frustrating.

Like Alpha Protocol has sold around 800,000 copies to date, whereas the new Tomb Raider gruesome outdoor death simulator sold over a million copies in 48 hours and has sold nearly five million copies total. Seriously, that game sucks, it's all linear and QTE bullshit and has none of the exploration or excitement that made the series popular.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Tomb Raider has a good bit of brand loyalty and recognition (not to mention quite a lot more marketing force behind it) so that isn't really the most level comparison.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, that was dumb. I get that you've technically been using brand to get Intel, but it comes across like "hmm, I can actually NOT kill them..." Kinda silly.

The real thing that drags that game down is how long you have to play to get that power, it should've been one of the very first things you get because it improves the gameplay so much.

It's kinda meh until you get it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goddam these boss fights in Deus Ex: HR can go to hell.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Tomb Raider has a good bit of brand loyalty and recognition (not to mention quite a lot more marketing force behind it) so that isn't really the most level comparison.

I get why it's that way, I'm just saying it's frustrating to see. I was going to say The Last of Us but didn't want to start that argument.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

oldpainless posted:

A common complaint, passed down through the ages. If you're playing the Director's Cut you'd be surprised to learn that the original boss fights had less options and thus were even worse.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Civ: Beyond Earth. It's an alright Civ game, but it's also a big pile of wasted potential. If it was $30 or something I could accept that, but it's basically a reskin of Civ 5 for full price.

I think the worst part is how it presents all these concepts but never actually makes any use of them. You're settling a new planet! But you just get cities in a box anyways. No need to actually produce the resources needed or anything. There's three affinities! That pretty much all play the same. You can customize your ship, supplies, crew, and search for planets! Except pretty much none of that really makes a different. All the faction leaders are completely interchangable too, and it doesn't have much fluff like SMAC had.

Inco posted:

Huh, I always thought Star Control 2 was a 4X game or something. What the heck game was I thinking of?

edit: Oh, I think it might have been the original GalCiv.

Huh, wait, it's not?

I thought it was a 4x where you could make your own custom race or something.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Oct 28, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Like I brought up in the little things thread, I played Mega Man X for the first time. And it's great, so much so that I'm probably going to play X2 soon (and then maybe continue on the series until I reach the one that Inafune wanted to end on; that was 4, right?).

The only thing I can complain about is something that really annoyed me; the boss weaknesses made no sense. This is my first Mega Man game that wasn't a Battle Network, so I have no idea if this is just an accepted conceit, but any attempts at logical deduction of who was weak to what fell apart after 'Chill Penguin's weak to Flame Wave'. Sting Chameleon is weak to Boomer Kuwanger's weapon, and Storm Eagle is weak to Sting Chameleon's, and gently caress if I know why because neither 'boomerang beats camouflage beats bird' nor 'bug beats lizard beats bird' make any sense. Why is an armadillo weak to electricity? Why is a dog that shoots ice weak to it? Why is loving everything weak to Rolling Shield? None of this makes any logical sense, and I have no idea how they decided on weaknesses or how they expected us to figure it out.

Again, maybe this is just a concession of the series, maybe weaknesses never tried to make realistic sense and I'm a fool for trying to apply it. But I was just left a bit lost and confused after every single attempt at logic I used to deduce who might be weak to what failed.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beyond Earth always seemed like a weird idea anyway, since it's not like Civ takes place on Earth anyway.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oldpainless posted:

get the tempest power or whatever it's called that makes an explosion. It sounds useless if you're playing a no kill or stealth run but it's so strong the upgraded version one shots every boss in the game. Seriously, just get it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Typhoon. :eng101:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

Like I brought up in the little things thread, I played Mega Man X for the first time. And it's great, so much so that I'm probably going to play X2 soon (and then maybe continue on the series until I reach the one that Inafune wanted to end on; that was 4, right?).

The only thing I can complain about is something that really annoyed me; the boss weaknesses made no sense.

It must just be because that was A Thing in the original Mega Man games, so they felt obligated to have it. I agree that it's silly and I think it's kind of unattractive anyway, considering they handled a similar premise much better in the same game -- if you beat some bosses, then other stages are rendered easier. Like, you don't have to deal with the falling rocks in Sting Chameleon's stage if you first defeat... uh, the armadillo, I think?

But I think it's just because boss weaknesses are a trademark Mega Man gimmick. It's not like you miss having them in Shovel Knight.

e:

oldpainless posted:

The very worst is at the end of the TYM building in China, when you suddenly get thrust against about a dozen soldiers at the end of a cutscene with no way to really get past them or avoid fighting them. My first playthrough, I had next to no combat skills because I was just being Mister Stealth and I just had to give up and start over with a more combat focused character because I could not get past without being detected. It was really awful.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Oct 28, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

The only thing I can complain about is something that really annoyed me; the boss weaknesses made no sense. This is my first Mega Man game that wasn't a Battle Network, so I have no idea if this is just an accepted conceit, but any attempts at logical deduction of who was weak to what fell apart after 'Chill Penguin's weak to Flame Wave'. Sting Chameleon is weak to Boomer Kuwanger's weapon, and Storm Eagle is weak to Sting Chameleon's, and gently caress if I know why because neither 'boomerang beats camouflage beats bird' nor 'bug beats lizard beats bird' make any sense. Why is an armadillo weak to electricity? Why is a dog that shoots ice weak to it? Why is loving everything weak to Rolling Shield? None of this makes any logical sense, and I have no idea how they decided on weaknesses or how they expected us to figure it out.

Again, maybe this is just a concession of the series, maybe weaknesses never tried to make realistic sense and I'm a fool for trying to apply it. But I was just left a bit lost and confused after every single attempt at logic I used to deduce who might be weak to what failed.

Boss weaknesses have almost never made sense. It is what it is and it's best not to question it too much.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Yeah, that. I always grab it before the 2nd boss, since you can cheese the first one with the barrels and savestates.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Star Control 2 seems really cool but I can't get decent enough at the combat to have any fun with it. I go and explore the abandoned base on the moon for the space station and afterwards an angry space spider attacks. I get crushed because I don't really know the controls. Okay, I'm at the menu already and I see this "super melee" option so I go in and mash buttons until I figure out how to shoot my spaceguns (on that note - right CTRL? Really? And left CTRL doesn't work?). I end up consistently doing pretty well in the crazy neo-Asteroids combat minigame in super melee and reload my save.

I STILL end up getting murdered by the angry spider guy. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I'm not generally THAT bad at videogames....

Cleretic posted:

The Mega Man X/Classic boss weaknesses were almost always trial and error, but that's pretty much OK because they're all completely doable with a regular buster. Think of the weaknesses as a nice bonus for the first time you face a boss and a shortcut every time after that.

The Zero series boss weaknesses were dumb for an entirely different reason, and Legends (e.g. The Best Mega Man Games) didn't really have boss weaknesses at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Buster Only is the best way to play MMX.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ryoshi posted:

I STILL end up getting murdered by the angry spider guy. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I'm not generally THAT bad at videogames....
The funny thing is, that 'spider guy' is actually neutered. If you were fighting a proper Ilwrath, it'd be able to cloak, and you'd be up poo poo creek without a paddle. As it is, the important thing to remember is that their ship is murder up close, but has no long-range options. So keep your distance and pepper them with missiles.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ryoshi posted:

Star Control 2 seems really cool but I can't get decent enough at the combat to have any fun with it. I go and explore the abandoned base on the moon for the space station and afterwards an angry space spider attacks. I get crushed because I don't really know the controls. Okay, I'm at the menu already and I see this "super melee" option so I go in and mash buttons until I figure out how to shoot my spaceguns (on that note - right CTRL? Really? And left CTRL doesn't work?). I end up consistently doing pretty well in the crazy neo-Asteroids combat minigame in super melee and reload my save.

The Earthling Cruiser (not your flagship) has homing missiles. Fire two homing missiles, preferably not at an asteroid.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Who What Now posted:

Boss weaknesses have almost never made sense. It is what it is and it's best not to question it too much.

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2, many of those weapons made sense against the bosses (Though the answer was almost always metal blade)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Taerkar posted:

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2, many of those weapons made sense against the bosses (Though the answer was almost always metal blade)

not really

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RyokoTK posted:

The very worst is at the end of the TYM building in China, when you suddenly get thrust against about a dozen soldiers at the end of a cutscene with no way to really get past them or avoid fighting them. My first playthrough, I had next to no combat skills because I was just being Mister Stealth and I just had to give up and start over with a more combat focused character because I could not get past without being detected. It was really awful.

This is absolutely false, especially if you're Mister Stealth. They start out initially not knowing where you are, and you have access to a vent on the right hand side (facing the exit) that leads almost all the way there. All you need to do is get in the vent, wait for the way to the elevator to be mostly clear, then switch on superstealth and run into the elevator and smack the button.

Much like people complaining about saving Malik midway through the game, but it's actually very easy if you go the non-lethal route (but not necessarily stealthy). As long as you have enough stun darts and an EMP, all you need to do is run counterclockwise around the arena mashing your takedown or stungun as appropriate since it'll be a one-hit knockout on any enemy, and Malik is taking all the aggro. Then you just EMP the bot along your way and you're done. I needed to pull out my pistol at the end though to lethally kill two guys just because I didn't feel like walking back up to them to kill them because they were high up on rooftops.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bewilderment posted:

This is absolutely false, especially if you're Mister Stealth. They start out initially not knowing where you are, and you have access to a vent on the right hand side (facing the exit) that leads almost all the way there.

what
:psyboom:

I swear to god I died a good 20 times and never saw that vent. Also the auto-save point was after the guys knew where I was. Maybe that's my own fault though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RyokoTK posted:

Buster Only is the best way to play MMX.

Hell I'm pretty sure Launch Octopus is easier with the buster than rolling shield because it takes out some of his missiles.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

RyokoTK posted:

There are some vents along the side of the room and some cabinets or something that'll get you about half way, if I recall correctly.

A tip for the third boss and the final boss event thing in Deus Ex: HR: you'll want the eye upgrade that lets you see cloaked enemies through walls and the experimental laser weapon I think you first find in the Harvesters' hideout. It can shoot through walls, so those two things together keep him from sneaking up on you.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

There are some vents along the side of the room and some cabinets or something that'll get you about half way, if I recall correctly.

A tip for the third boss and the final boss event thing in Deus Ex: HR: you'll want the eye upgrade that lets you see cloaked enemies through walls and the experimental laser weapon I think you first find in the Harvesters' hideout. It can shoot through walls, so those two things together keep him from sneaking up on you.

Can you still glitch him out and Melee-Takedown him when he hops over a wall?
You can also just get the Auto-Aim/Seeker mod for the assault rifle and blind-fire him to death.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The sheer number of mediocre games that get a pass because their badly written knock-off wannabe Hollywood movie story is "so good" while a game like Alpha Protocol just kinda got slammed because the gunplay is wonky while having one of the deepest branching storylines ever done and actual meaningful choices is really frustrating.

Like Alpha Protocol has sold around 800,000 copies to date, whereas the new Tomb Raider gruesome outdoor death simulator sold over a million copies in 48 hours and has sold nearly five million copies total. Seriously, that game sucks, it's all linear and QTE bullshit and has none of the exploration or excitement that made the series popular.

I understand that Alpha Protocol is a well liked but this is pretty silly. I liked it but the gameplay is absolute poo poo, probably the worst gameplay of any game I can remember.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr Christmas posted:

upgraded Typhoon kills him in one hit, use that instead.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sorry but Tomb Raider, as a game, is way way better than Alpha Protocol. Tomb Raider has the best bow and arrow in pretty much any game, and the shooting isn't bad either. AP, from the amount I was able to get through, plays like hot garbage. I'm sure the story is a lot of fun but the game part of it is terrible.

(The hacking minigame in AP is also the literal worst hacking minigame of all time)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
MMX's weaknesses made sense due to the fights, not necessarily the bosses' types.

Boomer Kawanger moves so fast he almost teleports, making Homing Torpedo a natural choice.
Launch Octopus is weak to Rolling Shield, but he gets a special injury if you cut off his tentacles with Boomerang Cutter. As for the Rolling Shield, ???
Sting Chameleon turns invisible and shuffles around the screen, making an attack that covers much of the screen and doesn't use up ammo if it misses a natural choice ala Boomerang Cutter.
Storm Eagle attacks from an angle, making Chameleon Sting's triple attack advantageous to hit those angles.
Flame Mammoth once again loses an appendage to Boomerang Cutter. His arena is the longest in the game, and his jumps cover a large amount of area, perfect to be hit by a long attack that stays in place ala Storm Tornado.
Armored Armadillo is covered in armor, and it gets electrocuted off by Electric Spark.
Chill Penguin is ice, Fire Wave is fire, pretty self explanatory. Although I never have actually used Flame Wave on Chill Penguin since he should die first because you want to get get yourself some kicking rad shoes.
Spark Mandrill... I got nothing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

PJOmega posted:

Spark Mandrill... I got nothing.
You chill his shocked heart with an icy cool breeze. (Then shatter it).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

The very worst is at the end of the TYM building in China, when you suddenly get thrust against about a dozen soldiers at the end of a cutscene with no way to really get past them or avoid fighting them.
What really annoyed me about that was how dumb Jensen is in the cutscene. He's got a gun pointed at this woman and she is clearly trying to maneuver around him, but he just lets her do it, he doesn't make her back up against a wall or tell her to stop moving or anything. :argh:

bewilderment posted:

Much like people complaining about saving Malik midway through the game, but it's actually very easy if you go the non-lethal route
Both of those are easy if you know the specific trick for beating them ahead of time. When you're playing it the fist time they're both very difficult sections because you're suddenly mobbed by a whole lot of dudes you weren't expecting.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Tiggum posted:

What really annoyed me about that was how dumb Jensen is in the cutscene. He's got a gun pointed at this woman and she is clearly trying to maneuver around him, but he just lets her do it, he doesn't make her back up against a wall or tell her to stop moving or anything. :argh:

Jensen got CASIE'd. That's how I explain that one. It might even be in the game somewhere.

That said, cutscene Jensen is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tiggum posted:

Both of those are easy if you know the specific trick for beating them ahead of time. When you're playing it the fist time they're both very difficult sections because you're suddenly mobbed by a whole lot of dudes you weren't expecting.

The Malik ambush, sure, I took a look on youtube to notice that there were several clear paths around the area. But the end of Tai Yong Medical, I did myself. You have access to the entire floor before you hit the end of it and trigger the cutscene, and by that point in the game you should be exploring every nook and cranny for vents and stuff. I ghosted that part my first time through.