Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Alris posted:

But Pontiff of Blight has hybrid mana in its rules text, wouldn't that make its inclusion in a Mono-Black deck illegal?

There was some weird ruling that got a lot of grognard griping, that reminder text doesn't count as "rules text".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Crack a fetch, get a 5/3. Harrow, get a 5/3. Waste a land, get a 5/3.

Also note that in many cases she immediately gets back something like that and allows you to re-use it, making another 5/3 and sometimes ramping you in the process. I like it!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Titania being an Elemental makes it of consideration for my Horde deck! Why not try recurring her at instant speed!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh man Titania and Terastodon are loving BFFs.

Play Terastodon targetting 3 of your lands.

Get 3 3/3 elephants and 3 5/3 elementals.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Well, that's one way to hose land destruction as an anti-green-ramp strategy

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Coucho Marx posted:

I'm waiting for someone who forgets what Titania does to get absolutely beat up when they Armageddon with her out.

And then the green player for once gets to be smug.

"Okay, I lose my 15 lands and get 15 5/3s, you all get nothing."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Coucho Marx posted:

I showed this to my brother and his first thought was "so I should play Armageddon with this, right?"

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sorry guys the correct move is to play Titania and Jokulhaups in the same deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The black deck list shows the black old karoo-land, which unlike the Ravnica ones, sacrifices itself if you don't bounce a land. Assume that the green deck will have its own in there too. Throw in an Exploration/Rites of Flourishing/Azusa/etc (Assuming at least one extra-land-play effect will be in the green deck) and all you need to add in from outside the precon is a crucible and you can suddenly make 10+ power a turn.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lotus Vale?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

odiv posted:

Lotus Vale?

Nice if you want to sacrifice the lands once, but the oracle text for Lotus Vale says that you dont want to pay the cost, it just goes straight into your graveyard and doesn't actually enter-play-and-sacrifice

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm trying to decide which is worst...

PCY
CA
FTV:L
C14

It's a tough race to call but at least I can confidently say they are all more disappointing than Homelands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I'm trying to decide which is worst...

PCY
CA
FTV:L
C14

It's a tough race to call but at least I can confidently say they are all more disappointing than Homelands.

C'mon man C14 isn't even completely spoiled yet.

I mean I'm with you on a lot of the spoiled cards so far but at least wait until they're all out.

E: How's Narset and Ashcloud Phoenix as cards in Jeskai? Is Ashcloud good against Abzan Midrange?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
that 2/6 zombie that attacks a player at random is just the best thing ever.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
Am I running beginners luck much? I've been playing less than a month, in my starter booster with a start deck I pulled a sorin, now in a FNM for coming last, my consolation booster had a Sarkhan! I swear I've opened no more than 5 at absolute most.

I haven't written my deck up yet, bit I'm building a budget warrior deck with chief of scale, edge, hate blades - any cards you can advise of which are absolute must haves? I'm also considering splashing red to my white black but unsure of how, would be nice to use this Sarkhan and not sell it on.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SierraNovember posted:

Am I running beginners luck much? I've been playing less than a month, in my starter booster with a start deck I pulled a sorin, now in a FNM for coming last, my consolation booster had a Sarkhan! I swear I've opened no more than 5 at absolute most.

I haven't written my deck up yet, bit I'm building a budget warrior deck with chief of scale, edge, hate blades - any cards you can advise of which are absolute must haves? I'm also considering splashing red to my white black but unsure of how, would be nice to use this Sarkhan and not sell it on.

That's definitely luck, it's best not to count on it in the future.

Anyway, since you're doing warriors, there's a few good options in Theros. Sightless Brawler is great for extra early damage and keeping a guy relevant in the late game. Tormented Hero is also a solid 2/1 one drop. Oreskos Swiftclaw is also solid. On the non-creature front, Oppresive Rays can be a great and cheap option for getting more damage through early and dealing with huge blockers.

Oh, and War-Name Aspirant is a godsend.

As for Sarkhan, just hold onto him. In time, you'll have a good number of red cards and then suddenly he'll have a home for you to use.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

Oh, and War-Name Aspirant is a godsend.

No, this is:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

No, this is:

I've been waiting for someone to make this joke for almost a year holy poo poo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Madmarker posted:

No, this is:

So, is there any sideboard space in W/x decks for this? It is a great hoser for preventing your opponent's Rhinos and Rocs from blocking lest they get locked out of their finishers.

Fake edit: I don't the answer is no. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

So, is there any sideboard space in W/x decks for this? It is a great hoser for preventing your opponent's Rhinos and Rocs from blocking lest they get locked out of their finishers.

Fake edit: I don't the answer is no. :(

Against huge duders like Abzan Midrange you can just swing in for your creature's damage + 3 and then if they don't block, reequip the Godsend to another creature you didn't swing with. Makes decks with very few wincon creatures sweat lead.

I run it as a 2 of in the sideboard in U/W Heroic and it's pretty alright.

Alternatively, slap it on a dude with trample. :getin:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 28, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
c14 wurmcoil reprint. Thats a real card. tokens included in the deck.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/commander-2014-edition-tokens-2014-10-28

I also think red is going to have an artifact theme/subtheme. Tuk Tuk and Wurmcoil both play really well with Feldon.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 28, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/commander-2014-edition-tokens-2014-10-28

I also think red is going to have an artifact theme/subtheme. Tuk Tuk and Wurmcoil both play really well with Feldon.

gently caress.

I still want the Scars block Wurmcoil Tokens though. :argh:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.

I still want the Scars block Wurmcoil Tokens though. :argh:

They have the same art though?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PrinnySquadron posted:

They have the same art though?

The set symbol though! :argh:

Also, I like how the Reef Worm tokens are basically just the proceeding token eating the preceeding one. It's cute.

The Whale one is terrifying me because giant tentacles underwater. :tinfoil:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 28, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I hope the wolf token means master of the wild hunt.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Molybdenum posted:

I do too, I want to pick him up for cube but not at $15ish. I'm fairly sure the white deck just based on the name is going to have a stoneforge mystic. It'd be pretty funny for a mono-white deck to be named "Forged in Stone" without Stoneforge Mystic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jassi007 posted:

The red deck is called "Built from Scratch" so yeah, seems likely. Maybe you can assemble contraptions too?

Edit: Would be cute if Batterskull were in too. Only so many equipment you can put in a commander deck though, and whilst Batterskull is legal, I don't know if they would include a black living weapon germ in the white deck.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 28, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

The red deck is called "Built from Scratch" so yeah, seems likely. Maybe you can assemble contraptions too?

Again, Slobad for Planeswalker Commander. Let's have it Wizards!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

Should probably have Hammer of Purphoros as another poo poo-out-artifacts option. We're definitely overdue a Goblin Planeswalker.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Molybdenum posted:

That was the wolf token from Zendikar block, created by either Bestial Menace, Turntimber Ranger, or Wolfbriar Elemental. Although that could mean nothing, I suppose.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hey, I'm streaming that standard Mardu Midrange build that has been going around lately if anyone is curious about the deck. It's honestly the only deck in the current meta that actually feels interactive to me, so I'd recommend checking it out if you're sick of siege rhinos and solitaire play.

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator if anyone cares, but yeah, check out Mardu, crackling doom is fun!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

They did say that one of the Commanders was obscure/forgettable. Slobad definitely fits that.

Also Tuktuk :syoon:

Also also: Today's non-token Mothership preview cards:

I think we saw the Black one in that leak yesterday but whatever.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 28, 2014

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I Love You! posted:

Hey, I'm streaming that standard Mardu Midrange build that has been going around lately if anyone is curious about the deck. It's honestly the only deck in the current meta that actually feels interactive to me, so I'd recommend checking it out if you're sick of siege rhinos and solitaire play.

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator if anyone cares, but yeah, check out Mardu, crackling doom is fun!

Watching your stream at work on my phone, making me want to buy sorins and sarkhans and get in. Deck looks like fun

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

Watching your stream at work on my phone, making me want to buy sorins and sarkhans and get in. Deck looks like fun

It really is, running 3 Sarkhan: Dragon Punchers is really great in a shell that can actually support them.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Cernunnos posted:

Also also: Today's non-token Mothership preview cards:

Lorwyn! :D

So far we know:
W: ??? / Jazal
U: Teferi / Geralf
B: Ob Nixilis / Gisa
R: ??? / Feldon
G: Freyalise / Titania

Correct?

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 28, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does anybody have the Treasure Cruise image?

I need it for science.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Except slobad's actual ability is boring. He should take up welding.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Count Bleck posted:

Does anybody have the Treasure Cruise image?

I need it for science.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Not that one the other one! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chorocojo posted:

Lorwyn! :D

So far we know:
W: ??? / Jazal
U: Teferi / Geralf
B: Ob Nixilis / Gisa
R: ??? / Feldon
G: Freyalise / Titania

Correct?

I think so, with one reprint legend to round out each deck's eligible commanders, if I remember the black deck correctly.

• Locked thread