Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Maple Leaf posted:

More leaks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNhYHPAhhg

Is it real, or is it fake?! YOU DECIDE.

This is obviously fake but I wish it wasn't. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The bottom screen being so bright white makes me think it's the photo viewer and NOT an actual leaked DLC update??? Just a little sleuthing from yours truly.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There aren't even any player coins.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Sheik has so many built in loving combos it's absurd. gently caress Sheik.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't trust the Smash community to do anything sensible ever, given past performance.

The loving retarded bonkers nonsense stage-picking system used by tournaments is a travesty of logic and basic human decency.

...I thought they just did loser picks, is this not the case?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Does anyone have tips for a beginning Rosalina and Zelda player? I'm trying to clear Classic Mode at 8.0+ with all characters, but I just can't manage it with these two in particular.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

...I thought they just did loser picks, is this not the case?

It is loser picks but for the first match they do this trade-off thing where one person bans a couple of stages and then the second person bans another few and it goes back and forth a few times till there's one stage left. It's not really that weird at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Brother Entropy posted:

It is loser picks but for the first match they do this trade-off thing where one person bans a couple of stages and then the second person bans another few and it goes back and forth a few times till there's one stage left. It's not really that weird at all.

That's definitely not very weird. I remember that many moons ago they would just choose random (from an even more limited pool than the usual pool) but that seems a little better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TravelLog posted:

Does anyone have tips for a beginning Rosalina and Zelda player? I'm trying to clear Classic Mode at 8.0+ with all characters, but I just can't manage it with these two in particular.

For Zelda, spam Din's fire all day erry day. Don't forget to use your reflector.

For Rosalina... I got nothing. I have been trying and trying to figure her deal out but all I know is she'll fly real nicely after I gently caress up and she gets beat on too much.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TravelLog posted:

Generally just send the Luma out ahead of you and attack with impunity while they flail around. It is the ultimate in edgeguarding because you can throw it over the edge and as long as it doesn't decide to just sadly float to the bottom and die, you can keep using Luma Shot or just hitting A and it'll screw them over.

Aside from that, get Rosalina's neutral 3 (Power Luma Shot) and love it. Because it moves so slowly the attack keeps going for a very long time, long enough to knock around anyone trying to approach you. It also murders Master Core forms, especially that dog one which you can literally one-shot as soon as it comes out if you have enough attack enhancements. Also her down 3, Guardian Luma, is the only one that isn't totally useless.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Crusher posted:

Sheik has so many built in loving combos it's absurd. gently caress Sheik.

the problem isn't that sheik has combos, it's that almost no one else does. combos are cool.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Brother Entropy posted:

Is this related to when they sometimes go into a fight but it's somehow not the real fight and they faff around for a bit and then they quit out of it, repeat once or twice before actually beginning the set? If it was a one-off thing it wouldn't be so odd but I feel like it's happened every time I try to watch competitive smash.

vvv oh well, that makes sense.

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 28, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

Is this related to when they sometimes go into a fight but it's somehow not the real fight and they faff around for a bit and then they quit out of it, repeat once or twice before actually beginning the set? If it was a one-off thing it wouldn't be so odd but I feel like it's happened every time I try to watch competitive smash.
They're checking their button configs and making sure their controllers work.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wild Knight posted:

This is like almost every fight, the only difference is that Smash use their time to test out the stage while other fighters use it to test buttons.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Countblanc posted:

the problem isn't that sheik has combos, it's that almost no one else does. combos are cool.

Yeah pretty much. I would love to do fancy ~30% throw combos but almost no one I play can.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

On the subject of Dedede re: projectiles:

"Eat them"? How exactly does that work? (Eating people, that is- I know how to eat projectiles, and while it's fun, it's not hugely useful.) I get just utterly wrecked by any half-decent Toon Link, without being able to do much of anything at all to even defend myself. They just keep hitting me with projectiles, and I gotta approach, and I just don't know how to do that. I'm a Gordo man, not some kind of... approacher! I just get wrecked when I try.

The best I got was learning to instantly crouch after throwing a Gordo, which looks like you're being a jerk as a bonus, but really lets you launch a really quick down tilt to reflect back a reflected Gordo. You gotta be quick, but it's totally worth it.

Except versus a Toon Link that's just vomiting arrows. Then they counter your counter-counter Gordo kick without even understanding what's going on and things just get all kinds of embarrassing.

Basically gently caress projectiles that can gently caress over my pal Gordo.

Gaffle posted:

Olimar is one of the greatest characters to pick in For Glory. I played as him exclusively last night and made all of my opponents rage quit out of embarrassment after one match.
H... how? How do you do this? I want to do this.

Or are they embarrassed because Olimar is so poo poo and if you actually beat anyone with Olimar they just go off and die of shame.

Oh god it's that isn't it. For a second I thought you had some secret to trashing fools as Olimar. gently caress.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Eiba posted:

Except versus a Toon Link that's just vomiting arrows. Then they counter your counter-counter Gordo kick without even understanding what's going on and things just get all kinds of embarrassing.

Link has so much experience reflecting reflected projectiles it's just a reflex by now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I would guess at least that there's no level geometry for Pikmin to get stuck on in FG.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
idk Alph really doesn't seem that bad. I go even against most of my friends.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Don't seriously try to eat projectiles as Dedede. The swallow animation lasts for an eternity and you will get punished. You just have to dodge and hop.

Also take advantage of the alternate gordo bounces. If someone is right up in your face try to close the gap and use the high bounce one. It's in projectile range way less and it forces them to either dodge or shield.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The high bounce Gordo is the ultimate turtling move. There just isn't poo poo to do against it. It completely stalls your advance and as His Royal Highness I don't really give a poo poo about your projectile game unless you're Samus. Come at me bro, I'm secure on my throne.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Eiba posted:

My most effective strategy against a projectile-happy Toon Link when playing as Dedede has been to switch to Ganondorf.

RyokoTK posted:

The high bounce Gordo is the ultimate turtling move. There just isn't poo poo to do against it. It completely stalls your advance and as His Royal Highness I don't really give a poo poo about your projectile game unless you're Samus. Come at me bro, I'm secure on my throne.

I got kind of addicted to coming in from above and throwing the high bounce Gordo then landing and pressing so they're facing pressure from two directions at once. Sometimes if people don't know what to do they freeze up and it's kind of rad. Doesn't work against anyone good though.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 28, 2014

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about your projectile game unless you're Samus.

Gotta love those free wins every time I run into DeDeDe :3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've found the majority of the time when I approach that way with a Gordo I can just stand in place and wait for them to panic and dodge towards me. Right into the jab combo from hell :black101:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just had Samus roll me as Dedede a few games in a row and my trick was to switch to villager :twisted: Samus's fully-charged shot is my second-favorite thing to pocket next to one of my own trees that's been reflected back at me

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Gordos and reflected Gyroids are things I enjoy pocketing.

I also enjoy pocketing Megaman's Airman thing and killing Megaman from the ground with it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brother Entropy posted:

Every tournament I've ever attended or watched streamed takes loving forever between matches to an inexcusable degree. The downtime is ludicrous and there's no excuse for it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Maybe, oh I dunno, the patch was for some minute technical tweaking that nobody actually knows and should stop trying to loving figure out because when you're trying to enjoy a game, you don't loving pin it beneath a microscope and scrutinise every tiny goddamn detail like a huge sperg.

Seriously I don't get all this, just play better at the game if you're that worried about your skill gawd :confused: I mean, that's what I do, if I wanna get better with a character I don't make up some kind of "THE PUNCHING'S DELAYED BY 0.002 SECONDS ARGH" crap, I just work around it better and try to anticipate poo poo. I just feel like some people out there in the "pro" community are just trying to excuse the fact they just gently caress up because...you just hosed up, so learn from it and do better next time.

I mean I get when there are technical flaws if it like REALLY drags poo poo down fair enough, like online lag now THAT is a problem, but seriously.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FinalGamer posted:

Maybe, oh I dunno, the patch was for some minute technical tweaking that nobody actually knows and should stop trying to loving figure out because when you're trying to enjoy a game, you don't loving pin it beneath a microscope and scrutinise every tiny goddamn detail like a huge sperg.

Seriously I don't get all this, just play better at the game if you're that worried about your skill gawd :confused: I mean, that's what I do, if I wanna get better with a character I don't make up some kind of "THE PUNCHING'S DELAYED BY 0.002 SECONDS ARGH" crap, I just work around it better and try to anticipate poo poo. I just feel like some people out there in the "pro" community are just trying to excuse the fact they just gently caress up because...you just hosed up, so learn from it and do better next time.

I mean I get when there are technical flaws if it like REALLY drags poo poo down fair enough, like online lag now THAT is a problem, but seriously.

somebody sounds like they're projecting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FinalGamer posted:

Other people can like doing things that you don't, FinalGamer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Every tournament I've ever attended or watched streamed takes loving forever between matches to an inexcusable degree. The downtime is ludicrous and there's no excuse for it.

Until fighting games implement a button-check-lobby session before matches, there's always gonna be some downtime as everyone makes sure their poo poo works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Until fighting games implement a button-check-lobby session before matches, there's always gonna be some downtime as everyone makes sure their poo poo works.

These bathroom breaks are getting out of control!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

jivjov posted:

More reasons why everyone should switch to Skullgirls as their fighting game of choice!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Tournament organizers need to get their poo poo together imho and players need to stop demanding 5-minute button checks.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Why doesn't For Fun have a One on One? I prefer For Fun because I like interesting stages and Smash is kind of poo poo without items, but four player matches lag so much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

jivjov posted:

Ultra Street Fighter finally added a button-select option at the selection screen, people still do button checks. It's a habit you won't make people break out of ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

Dude, minor details can seriously change how characters play. Nobody's out there trying to figure out how they can use it as an excuse - heck, look at all the theorized patch changes. Almost all of them are buffs. People want the characters they play to feel better.

Furthermore, a lot of people actually do getting into the minutae of a game, and figuring out how it's balanced. Say what you will about Mew2King, but he figured out all the frame data for Melee because he both enjoyed the game and wanted to give a resource to other players, not because he felt some need to.

Why are you getting so mad about people trying to figure out how the game was changed, anyway? Why do games have to be made of pixiedust and magic and anything else is 'being a sperg?'

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RyokoTK posted:

You just go under it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's also hilariously easy to reflect gordos. If I'm ROB, I can just jab them back at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Tournament organizers need to get their poo poo together imho and players need to stop demanding 5-minute button checks.

You do realize you sound like a completely entitled child for expecting your free entertainment to cater even more to you, the random guy watching a stream over the players and TOs who are actually there at the event, right?

Tourneys are always going to have downtime and set up, if you don't like it just watch the matches on Youtube the next day.

• Locked thread