Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've personally outgrown the whole "fuel economy" thing for the most part, and with that small diesels.

Diminishing returns for higher numbers, and the cost of enjoying driving for me is worth it. I can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with a pleasurable V8 rumble and get 30mpg highway. a 40mpg car is going to run like poo, sound like poo, drive like poo, and over 100,000 miles only save 833 gallons, or around $3332 at 4 bucks a gallon. Even if you do that in 5 years, that's $666 a year. That's 1 car payment on a newer diesel vehicle. half of an injector pump. one set of injectors. 1/20th of the first year depreciation. 1/5th of the 5th year depreciation.

If i had a boring rush hour high traffic low speed soul killing time wasting commute already, what's one more nail in the coffin buying a boring commuter car. Luckily i don't, and most of my traveling involves a choice of 4 highways to do the job, some of which i've driven 200km on without seeing another car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I

Powershift posted:

I've personally outgrown the whole "fuel economy" thing for the most part, and with that small diesels.

Diminishing returns for higher numbers, and the cost of enjoying driving for me is worth it. I can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with a pleasurable V8 rumble and get 30mpg highway. a 40mpg car is going to run like poo, sound like poo, drive like poo, and over 100,000 miles only save 833 gallons, or around $3332 at 4 bucks a gallon. Even if you do that in 5 years, that's $666 a year. That's 1 car payment on a newer diesel vehicle. half of an injector pump. one set of injectors. 1/20th of the first year depreciation. 1/5th of the 5th year depreciation.

If i had a boring rush hour high traffic low speed soul killing time wasting commute already, what's one more nail in the coffin buying a boring commuter car. Luckily i don't, and most of my traveling involves a choice of 4 highways to do the job, some of which i've driven 200km on without seeing another car.

I have a Volt to commute in. My other car makes just north of 600hp, and still gets 25mpg cruising down the highway, if I can keep my foot out of it.

:getin:

A commuter car just lets you get wackier and/or less sane with your fun car/truck. Something that would loving SUCK rear end to drive in traffic five days a week is just fine. :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My brother has a CRD Jeep Liberty and it's a terrible vehicle.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Powershift posted:

You definitely make good points, but part of me still thinks it'd be pretty cool to own something with a true hot rodded diesel engine. Doubt it'll actually happen any time soon though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MrYenko posted:

I

I have a Volt to commute in. My other car makes just north of 600hp, and still gets 25mpg cruising down the highway, if I can keep my foot out of it.

A commuter car just lets you get wackier and/or less sane with your fun car/truck. Something that would loving SUCK rear end to drive in traffic five days a week is just fine. :v:

You're the person that guy in the Cadillac ad wishes he was. God speed, my fellow American.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

You definitely make good points, but part of me still thinks it'd be pretty cool to own something with a true hot rodded diesel engine. Doubt it'll actually happen any time soon though.

Yeah, I still want to put a powerstroke in my Lincoln but in terms of what's coming to North America these days on the diesel front there is nothing redeeming. The 5 liter Cummins in the Titan might be decent and the m550D looks like hilarious fun but we'll never get it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

At $7/gallon and an 80 mile commute, "fuel economy" isn't really something you "outgrow".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

At $7/gallon and an 80 mile commute, "fuel economy" isn't really something you "outgrow".

Yeah, but gas is cheap right now and that will last forever!

Mat_Drinks posted:

It's not exactly a hot rod, but this is why I want the A4 with the 3.0TDI here. It gets 38 mpg in the A6 and I was able to get it to break the tires loose on dry pavement on a Q5 test drive. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fknlo posted:

Naw, man, that's why we make money for a living. Seems to me like enjoying what I drive every day is worth a few extra bucks when it comes time to fill the tank. Or you could save that money, and hate your drive twice a day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Naw, man, that's why we make money for a living. Seems to me like enjoying what I drive every day is worth a few extra bucks when it comes time to fill the tank. Or you could save that money, and hate your drive twice a day.

I can afford a fun car too. The only reason I haven't put a deposit down on an Alfa 4C is in case I get rid of my Golf. If I keep it I'll get something like that. If I don't I'll have to settle for something used.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

It's not exactly a hot rod, but this is why I want the A4 with the 3.0TDI here. It gets 38 mpg in the A6 and I was able to get it to break the tires loose on dry pavement on a Q5 test drive. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Gas is actually going down right now, time to bring the V10 excursion back.

The big problem is the 3.0 TDI is a 3750 gbp option over the 2.0T we get. That's $6040. In the US A6, it's a $10,000 option over the 2.0T, but i'll use the UK numbers as they're favorable to the diesel.

Over 100,000 miles, which is 5 years, 80 miles/day, 5 days a week for 50 weeks, based on the UK published numbers:

If city driving, we'll call this best case scenario for the diesel:
2.0T: 3617 US gallons. At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $11,285
3.0 TDI: 2893 US gallons. At the current national average diesel price of 3.656, that's $10,577

A savings of $708. If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $9 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option(this is why it exists in europe, diesel is $8/US gallon in norway)

If highway, this is the worst case scenario for the diesel:
2.0T: 2382 US gallons At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $7,432
3.0TDI: 2167 US gallons At the current national average diesel price of 3.656, that's $7922

A loss of $491. If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $29 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option

If mixed, the most likely scenario:
2.0T: 2845 US gallons. At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $8876
3.0TDI: 2421 US gallons. At the current national average Diesel price of 3.656, that's $8851

A whomping savings of $25, that's $5 a year! If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $15.50 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Powershift posted:

It's going to be really difficult for me to go from 50 MPG to anything less than 40 when it comes time to get another car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

The big problem is the 3.0 TDI is a 3750 gbp option over the 2.0T we get. That's $6040. In the US A6, it's a $10,000 option over the 2.0T, but i'll use the UK numbers as they're favorable to the diesel.

Over 100,000 miles, which is 5 years, 80 miles/day, 5 days a week for 50 weeks, based on the UK published numbers:

2.0T: 3617 US gallons. At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $11,285
3.0 TDI: 2893 US gallons. At the current national average diesel price of 3.656, that's $10,577

A savings of $708. If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $9 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option(this is why it exists in europe, diesel is $8/US gallon in norway)

2.0T: 2382 US gallons At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $7,432
3.0TDI: 2167 US gallons At the current national average diesel price of 3.656, that's $7922

A loss of $491. If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $29 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option

2.0T: 2845 US gallons. At the current national average gas price of 3.120, that's $8876
3.0TDI: 2421 US gallons. At the current national average Diesel price of 3.656, that's $8851

A whomping savings of $25, that's $5 a year! If the prices evened out as it rose, gas and diesel would have to be $15.50 a gallon to pay for the cost of the engine option

This is all well and good but the A6 TDI base trim level is the Premium Plus at 58.7k while the gas Premium Plus is only on the 3.0 at 56.3k.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's the point when you consider changing jobs or living arrangements. The fuel costs would be completely overshadowed by having to waste 1/2 to 1/3 of your weekday leisure time sitting in traffic.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

I can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with a pleasurable V8 rumble and get 30mpg highway.

Sorry, I don't remember what you drive, but am curious. That's slower than a C7 but relatively similar fuel economy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

This is all well and good but the A6 TDI base trim level is the Premium Plus at 58.7k while the gas Premium Plus is only on the 3.0 at 56.3k.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

He was commenting about the want of the 3.0 TDI A4, which is currently only available with the 2.0t. The S4 has the 3.0, but is a really different beast. The 3.0 TDI lies almost dead center between the 2.0 and 3.0 gas engines as far as performance goes, and adds at least 240lbs to the car. Using the stats on audi's website, the 3.0 TDI A4 is far closer in performance to the 2.0 A4 than the 3.0 S4. Therefore, i'm comparing oranges to slightly smaller oranges.

The fact is, it's not an option that will pay for itself in fuel savings, not even considering the additional repair costs of a more complex engine.

edit: the audi A6 TDI is $13,900 more, and the 3.0 gas is $11,500 more than the base A6. The audi S4 is $13,900 more than the base A4. The economics of the situation suggest that if they did ever offer the 3.0 TDI in the A4 in north america, you'd be getting hosed with no lube on the price.

blk posted:

Sorry, I don't remember what you drive, but am curious. That's slower than a C7 but relatively similar fuel economy.

BMW 540i. I should mention that's with setting the cruise at 80mph, with a few passes on 2 lane roads. If you did that with a C7, it would probably do 35mpg.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hummer Driving human being posted:

It's going to be really difficult for me to go from 50 MPG to anything less than 40 when it comes time to get another car.

The marginal benefit from 40mpg to 50mpg is pretty small. It's not a linear scale. 1mpg going from 49 to 50 is basically insignificant, but 1mpg going from 11 to 12 is huge.

Even if you drive 15,000 miles a year, the difference between 40mpg and 50mpg is 75 gallons. Even at $5/gal (the all-time record high in the US, way higher than what gas costs right now) that's $375/yr in difference.

And more realistically let's say you only drive 10,000 miles a year and gas is $3.75. Your annual cost difference is less than $200.

Then you figure that most cars that get 50+ mpg are more expensive hybrid or diesel variants, sometimes costing thousands of dollars more in up front purchase cost.

If you'd give up a fun car to have a super-economy car over less than $200-400/yr that's not very AI.

(But if you drive a 50mpg eco-penalty box in order to keep the miles off your 12mpg Viper than that's pretty AI).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Guinness posted:

(But if you drive a 50mpg eco-penalty box in order to keep the miles off your 12mpg Viper than that's pretty AI).

What about if you ride a ~40mpg motorcycle that does mid 10's in the 1/4 mile to save on gas and keep miles off your ~21 mpg but much slower car?

I can't tell if that's at the 'more AI' or 'less AI' end of the spectrum.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guinness posted:

If you'd give up a fun car to have a super-economy car over less than $200-400/yr that's not very AI.

A car doesn't have to be powerful or fast to be fun. I've had some of the most fun driving small cars that had to have their tits revved off to make progress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

And this is why I tell people that ask me about my gas mileage and are interested in the TDI who are actually trying to save money that they'd be way better going for something else that doesn't get much worse mileage and is cheaper. I drove those cars when I was shopping and hated them. The Golf was the most fun to drive by far. That's why I bought it.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Or you could buy a Tesla :smug:

I want one of these

Estoril Blue, of course (if that's even an option)

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

fknlo posted:

And this is why I tell people that ask me about my gas mileage and are interested in the TDI who are actually trying to save money that they'd be way better going for something else that doesn't get much worse mileage and is cheaper. I drove those cars when I was shopping and hated them. The Golf was the most fun to drive by far. That's why I bought it.

This. Different (types of power-)strokes for different folks. While I like the sound of, say, the Coyote, it just doesn't feel as 'gutsy' after a big diesel I6. The math doesn't work out in Diesel's favor, unless you like the feel of huge torque down low, which is a value proposition.

It's awful, but I think I've outgrown performance metrics. I care more and more about how a car feels on acceleration and cornering than how fast it actually gets to 60 or how many g it pulls in a slalom.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

BMW 540i. I should mention that's with setting the cruise at 80mph, with a few passes on 2 lane roads. If you did that with a C7, it would probably do 35mpg.

That's insane, my new V6 Mustang gets like 24 on the highway.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mat_Drinks posted:

Have you driven a diesel car before? They're pretty much the opposite of fun, even the bigger ones.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

Sure. Those and something that isn't super huge yet can take 3-4 people and all their ski/snowboard gear on 10 hour drives to Colorado 5+ times a year in relative comfort. And also do some offroad work if I want to get my bike or kayak somewhere off the beaten path to do something with those.

Realistically, if it comes with the 8 speed and gets about 30mpg highway I'll probably end up with one.

Well there's always custom coachbuilt cars...

The 2016 Wrangler will have a diesel option too.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 28, 2014

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

a primate posted:

Estoril Blue, of course (if that's even an option)

Holy hell a new BMW that looks decent, I didn't know they had it in them!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Holy hell a new BMW that looks decent, I didn't know they had it in them!

The 2-series looks like a modernized E46, which is not a bad thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

Have you driven a diesel car before? They're pretty much the opposite of fun, even the bigger ones.

No, they're actually not at all bad. The low end torque is amazing for daily driving stuff. I guess an 80hp 1.2L diesel might be miserable but I've never driven one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

The v6 Mustang was designed to Ace the epa Highway test that doesn't go over 60mph. Your car is built to do 60mph and if you run it at 75 it suffers. Mine is the exact opposite.

Mange Mite posted:

My powerstroke is hilarious fun. Go into a corner, gun it, and once the turbo spools the rear end kicks out and there's smoke and noise and torque flying everywhere.

That's 7.3 liters though. Pretty hard to make 7.3 liters and a turbo boring.

As for the wrangler, aluminum 8 speed diesel sounds super expensive.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everyone always talks about that amazing low end torque but every diesel I've ever driven has seemed noticeably slower and less snappy than it's gas equivalent. One of the reasons I didn't give the TDI Golf a second glance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone always talks about that amazing low end torque but every diesel I've ever driven has seemed noticeably slower and less snappy than it's gas equivalent. One of the reasons I didn't give the TDI Golf a second glance.

Most small modern turbo diesels are absolutely useless off boost.

It's one of the things that makes something like a Colorado so unpleasant to drive - you get boatloads of lag, a rush of boost for a brief few revs and then it hits the wall again. Its even worse with a clunky long throw manual transmission.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

No, they're actually not at all bad. The low end torque is amazing for daily driving stuff. I guess an 80hp 1.2L diesel might be miserable but I've never driven one.

I dunno 53hp 1.2l feels pretty good to me so Id imagine 80 to be a riot

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

oRenj9 posted:

That's insane. My gf gets that in her 2012 v6 in almost all stop and go. She gets a solid 29-30 on the highway at 70-80.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Guys. Guys. Nobody buys a Mustang for fuel economy. Here's an ATS-V.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Those seats like serious!
It also has HUD for sure in that pic. I wonder if this will be a coupe only thing?
Please GM dont mess this up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

Guys. Guys. Nobody buys a Mustang for fuel economy. Here's an ATS-V.

That's gotta be Pretty close to production to already have badges and poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd bet that's 100% production if it's running around with no camo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That front fascia is ugly as balls.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
With that line down the centre of the front it reminds me of a Camry?

also that photo makes it look like its a fish with undersized fins (wing mirrors and antenna)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It looks really ugly to me. Maybe it's just distorted from whatever lens they were using for it. Something about the proportions is really bothering me.