Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Thank you guys so much for those answers, they are tremendously helpful. This raises another question, though. What is the best way to go about either getting the titles the two other counties in my capital duchy back OR moving my capital from Desmond to Ulster and taking all of those counties for myself? I can revoke titles and plot to take them back, but is there better way that will infuriate people less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Monopthalmus posted:

Thank you guys so much for those answers, they are tremendously helpful. This raises another question, though. What is the best way to go about either getting the titles the two other counties in my capital duchy back OR moving my capital from Desmond to Ulster and taking all of those counties for myself? I can revoke titles and plot to take them back, but is there better way that will infuriate people less?

I think if you have a claim on a title you can revoke it without your other vassals getting pissy, so you can send your chancellor to fabricate claims.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
A claim would work, but "plot to revoke" is generally the easiest way to do it. They might rebel instead of handing it back to you, but you should be able to win. I don't think doing it this way will piss off anyone except the guy you're taking the county from, and he's going to be pissed no matter how you go about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Plot to revoke, fabricate claims, perhaps marriage shenanigans, and also you can revoke titles if they start a rebellion for any reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any tribal counties in India in the CM start? I kind of want to try playing an Indian Merchant Republic.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So, uh, I accidentally hit the "create antipope" button on my imbecile Bishop-King of England-Scotland. And you can't get rid of an antipope, unless you try pressing his claim, which you can't do if you've vassalized the Pope. Unless you grant the Pope independence and then press claims or something.

"Thankfully" the Pope later contacted me offering to solve this problem by delanding the antipope. The Pope changed his primary title to Theocracy of England.

:negative:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy and Wiz are good people. The best people. You guys have my thanks.

We've been having another crack at bug-hacking-and-killing today, but something went a little wonky along the way.

When I said I wanted Indians in Texas, I didn't mean that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

My old broken ironman save started working again with the latest update, but everything is hosed up due to the changes made. I had a ton of duchies which I think I'm now forced to turn into kingdoms but those are considerably harder to manage despite only being a few of them. Even at a relationship of 100 they always seem to want to be in independence factions or gently caress with me some other way. I'd love some tips on how to deal with kingdoms in large empires.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Regular old gavelkind isn't that bad. Your oldest son gets the best titles and a good shot at getting the rest back. In elective gavelkind, the electors like to pick someone who isn't one of your kids just to mess with you.

I've really come to like Ultimogeniture.

Paradox needs to cut the prestige cost for founding a custom empire by half at least. 8000 prestige is ridiculous for a non emperor. I just formed the Wendish empire as Saxony instead of declaring the "Saxon Empire".

Russian Muslims encroach from the eastern steppes. There will be a showdown coming. The last I fought any Muslim power, they were trying to invade Perm.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Ofaloaf posted:

Groogy and Wiz are good people. The best people. You guys have my thanks.

We've been having another crack at bug-hacking-and-killing today, but something went a little wonky along the way.

When I said I wanted Indians in Texas, I didn't mean that.

I've been using the most up-to-date version with Charlemagne and had a CTD, do y'all need bug reports? Not sure if it's too much for the time being.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Alright how do I become feudal as a Norse? Tribal succession is a mess and I want to get around to having fun. I don't really have to somehow conquer Saxony, all of Scandinavia, and some province in the Netherlands, do I? That seems a bit stupid as hell just to not have annoying laws.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Speaking of which, is there way to go feudal from merchant republic?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Alright how do I become feudal as a Norse? Tribal succession is a mess and I want to get around to having fun. I don't really have to somehow conquer Saxony, all of Scandinavia, and some province in the Netherlands, do I? That seems a bit stupid as hell just to not have annoying laws.

You only need steal Zeeland from the Franks and since you're norse you have free CB's against coastal provinces. The others aren't too tough.

Paradox should really let you settle more than one tribe in an county while you're tribal. Converting to feudalism and then having several counties that are empty save for a single castle isn't very helpful since you can't even call on tribal allies to help you out anymore.

I managed the tribal->feudal transition by taking pre-developed feudal lands and distributing them to new people before making the transition. After 30 or so years they're over the new admin penalty. I confiscated a few so I could have decent levies after switching, then made the decision.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 28, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I am experiencing the most enjoyable gameplay feature right now. I am trying to take over a single county province, but I can't. Every time I get to 95% warscore the count rebels, so my CB is no longer valid. When I declare war on him, he instantly surrenders to his liege to restart the cycle. :thumbsup:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
So what is the point of concubines? Pagans can only get Gavelkind until they reform, so more kids is very bad right? They're also hit with a -1 diplo penalty.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Concubines can also be had when Reformed, and under most succession laws the more kids the better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

So what is the point of concubines? Pagans can only get Gavelkind until they reform, so more kids is very bad right? They're also hit with a -1 diplo penalty.

They're good if you:
~need children quickly
~capture or somehow get a woman with good claims
~can be used with better succession laws once reformed (e:fb)
~claim a woman for son or as a future wife (marrying a son to an older woman is good in gavelkind, especially if you can have concubines)
~convert to another religion without waiting for a priest/imam/firebearer/banker/fatbuddha/whatever

Also Gavelkind isnt hard when you are Norse.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Why don't Merchant Republics have the ability to set Papal Investiture? So strange. I get that the law basically means 'does the king appoint bishops, or does the Church?', but since I'm just a hopped up burgher I should really be conceding to the Church anyway.

Do you see the option but are unable to select either, or not see the option at all?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
When I turned Pomerania into a New Slavic Republic, the first election had a second house under my family name, and despite the campaign funds seeming to go to the first house under my name, it actually went to and elected the second one. Like, I pumped it up, saw the numbers under the first house increasing, but then the picture for the second guy came up when my first hadn't quite passed the leader.
This second branch of the family has been a loving disaster, with the original guy and two successors down the line being stressed, starting with negative prestige, and generally having terrible stats. I might actually not have enough money to put in my next lovely guy if the points leader doesn't die quick.

It also looks like I have two mansions on my pane, but of course the republic window only shows the one, and I am back to one family in the race, which is fine. My tribal vassals have been mostly calm about all of this, but I keep getting warred on by some lovely high chiefs and a weak Denmark, because they look at my bad levies but not at my alliances or money.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I formed a merchant republic once without having any male couriers and ended up going about 100 years without any other houses forming.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I formed a merchant republic once without having any male couriers and ended up going about 100 years without any other houses forming.

Uhh, the patrician families come out of thin air, and have nothing to do with your courtiers. Something else was amiss.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Any tips for reforming the Zunist faith? I won't be able to touch Baghdad for at least a couple hundred years now and it seems impossible otherwise without winning a bunch of defensive holy wars. Not being able to raid infidel temples sucks.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ofaloaf, do you know how to make a character be one culture but have the graphics of another? I want to make a Greek with Muslim graphics.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Does de jure drift work as a Duke? Right now I am in the Charlamagne start as the Petty King of Gwynedd, and I took a couple counties around me and hold them personally, including Ternyllwg and Dyfed. In this new start, the Petty Kingdom of Gwynedd is only two counties, but I want to see if I can expand that outwards to include Ternyllwg and Dyfed just so my main duchy can have as many counties as possible to centralise the power. Is it possible to assimilate most of Wales into one Duchy?

Or when I declare myself King of Wales, will it just drop down into the standard duchy boundaries?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Another Person posted:

Does de jure drift work as a Duke? Right now I am in the Charlamagne start as the Petty King of Gwynedd, and I took a couple counties around me and hold them personally, including Ternyllwg and Dyfed. In this new start, the Petty Kingdom of Gwynedd is only two counties, but I want to see if I can expand that outwards to include Ternyllwg and Dyfed just so my main duchy can have as many counties as possible to centralise the power. Is it possible to assimilate most of Wales into one Duchy?

Or when I declare myself King of Wales, will it just drop down into the standard duchy boundaries?

You can't drift counties into Duchies.

A chap in the "form a new duchy" mod on steam workshop's comments who said it's possible to reassign counties with an event, but I'm not sure I believe him.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

at the date posted:

In my Jewish Duke of Semien game in the Charlemagne start, I instantly swore fealty to the King of Abyssinia in order to avoid being holy warred within in the first year like all my other attempts. I maintained Judaism in my two provinces by systematically assassinating every competent Abyssinian court chaplain for sixty years. The entire Miaphysite priesthood was reduced to an illiterate rabble through the singleminded efforts of a two-province duke.

Then, three generations into my own dynasty, the old king dies and his son takes over. The old king hated my guts because I was caught several times trying to murder his star priests, plus he was Zealous. The NEW one, however, was quite a bit more tolerant - he even invited ol' Emmanuel Goldberg to a feast. Suddenly, I was his Friend. Over the next few years I got free money, free counties, and all sorts of ancillary benefits from never having to worry about my liege disliking me. I ruthlessly slaughtered every missionary sent into my land with total confidence that nothing I could do would break our everlasting bond of friendship. And then we had The Talk.

The Religion Talk.

The King of Abyssinia, who at that point controlled every non-Abbasid county in North Africa and Arabia, thought I made some pretty good points about that whole Messiah scam and converted to Judaism. He went on an extremely efficient forced conversion/revocation spree and split every infidel county in the kingdom between us.

Then my guy died in battle against a Miaphysite uprising. Oh well.

If I can now usurp the crown and hold out against the Abbasids, Yahweh willing, I'll see a Jewish empire in Arabia before 1000.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. Did your liege have Sympathy for Judaism? I've sometimes had random friendships pop up between my liege and their courtiers because of my Sympathy traits, but I was unaware of the fact that a friendship could result in someone converting to the other's faith.

My main problem with Judaism is that even though it's got a couple of flavorful decisions (like creating the Kingdom of Israel and rebuilding the Temple) they all come off as a bit flavorless. You get a titular Kingdom, but by that point you'll probably have an Empire already, so there's no easy way to get the areas of the Kingdom of Israel to drift into the titular kingdom, and there should at the very least be a hereditary trait that gets given to the person who recreates the Kingdom of Israel (I'd go with "David").

Having said that, once I have the time I'll be trying to do a run with Rurik converting to Judaism and creating the Empire of Russia, because everyone knows the Jews had it good in Russia, right?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ah drat. That is really silly. Terynyllwg is not de jure anywhere right now it seems, which is real messy.

e; no, wrong. it is de jure powys, which is technically two English counties and a Welsh one.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ofaloaf, do you know how to make a character be one culture but have the graphics of another? I want to make a Greek with Muslim graphics.

code:
XXXX001 = {
	name = "Hypotheticus"
	dynasty = YYYY001
	culture = bedouin (or levantine or egyptian or whatever)
	religion = "whateverite"
	1234.5.6={
		birth = yes
		culture = greek
	}
	1300.1.1={
		death = yes
	}
}
Set the culture you want the character to appear as in the first culture entry, and then redefine what culture the character is at birth (or some point before the game begins).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Refusing to give land to an ambitious offspring is just activating the ticking time bomb toward them going adventurer all over your rear end. It's extremely important to do everything possible to keep Ambitious off your non-heir children (meaning make drat sure their educator has Content if you can't educate them yourself) and if one picks it up anyway it's probably best to eat the tyranny and imprison them and make them take the vows (until that gets patched out sometime soon anyway). Ambitious is awesome for your heir to have, but if he does pick it up you pretty much have to land him once you have him married and hope for the best.

I am yet to see that happen (the son fucks off to adventurer), but that's not to say it doesn't :shrug:

YMMV.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Drone posted:

Bribe the ones you haven't yet bribed? Hand out honorary titles to increase their opinion further? Hold Grand Tournaments/spam the gently caress out of hunts and feasts to get as much prestige and + opinion modifiers as possible? Between 20 and 60 you should be fine generally, but it you could just be unlucky.

Also, what year is it? I think there are some in-game mechanics that prevent you from having (or at least making it more difficult to have) unusually high crown authority too early in the game.

It's 973. Guess it's time to do some Tiger Hunts.

Alternatively, what if I just Destroyed the King of Bihar title? Is that a terrible idea because all the Rajas would hate me for not being their de jure liege?

On that note, what's this "de jure drift" everyone keeps talking about?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Martello posted:

It's 973. Guess it's time to do some Tiger Hunts.

Alternatively, what if I just Destroyed the King of Bihar title? Is that a terrible idea because all the Rajas would hate me for not being their de jure liege?

On that note, what's this "de jure drift" everyone keeps talking about?

If you're, say, King of England and you conquer a duchy in Scotland and never form the King title in Scotland, after 100 years that duchy becomes part of England. Likewise with Empires - after 100 years in your territory places become part of your empire de jure.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

MinistryofLard posted:

Question: how do Aztec invasions work re: what they target?

Right, so the Aztecs invaded Britain and I'm completely unable to fight them off, yada yada yada. They took Ireland and Scotland from me, and then declared war on me for England.

So thanks to de-Jure drift, only the southern half of England is part of the Kingdom of England - the rest is part of the Kingdom of Denmark. So when I handed over England, I only lost the southern half and I still own the rest.

Are they going to start gunning for the Kingdom of Denmark now, because it borders their holdings in the Kingdom of England? (Not that England did, by my reckoning - their new territories don't share a border with the old ones). What CB's do the Aztecs get and do they gain more Kingdom-level invasion CBs depending on what de-Jure titles are bordering them?

Because if I lose the Kingdom of Denmark to the Aztecs, thats pretty much game over for my family.

Asking again, since it seems to have been missed.

Also did the beta patch fix the problem with game-overing when you lose the Republic election or literally being impossible to lose? They mentioned something about deleting trade posts or something, but I wasn't sure what the root cause of that bug was.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MinistryofLard posted:

Also did the beta patch fix the problem with game-overing when you lose the Republic election or literally being impossible to lose? They mentioned something about deleting trade posts or something, but I wasn't sure what the root cause of that bug was.

Yep, it fixes it. Republics are free to trade once more.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MinistryofLard posted:

Yes, the Aztecs will come for you in Denmark. Assuming you actually hold Scandinavian Denmrk, you can avoid that by granting independence to your Anglo-Danish vassals, severing the land connection between you and the Aztecs. They might still come for you, but they're a bit more likely to move onto France or Iberia, especially if there were landings there.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

MinistryofLard posted:

I lost the game the other day after I won Greece in a crusade as Doge of Venice and clicked on the button to allow a vassal to distribute my holdings.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Another Person posted:

Yep, it fixes it. Republics are free to trade once more.

Ah, great, thanks. I should restart my Amalfi game - I was having a lot of fun with the Republic family events before the fact that I couldn't lose elections took the fun out of it.

Reveilled posted:

Yes, the Aztecs will come for you in Denmark. Assuming you actually hold Scandinavian Denmrk, you can avoid that by granting independence to your Anglo-Danish vassals, severing the land connection between you and the Aztecs. They might still come for you, but they're a bit more likely to move onto France or Iberia, especially if there were landings there.

Cool, thanks. For some reason I can't grant independence to my vassals though - it says they aren't Germanic de-Jure vassals, despite the fact that the countess of Jorvik is a) definitely Germanic and b) definitely part of the de-Jure Kingdom of Denmark. In fact, I can't grant independence to any of my vassals at all. Am I misreading the tooltip, and they have to not be Germanic de-Jure vassals of mine to be granted independence (and thus I'm boned) or am I misunderstanding something and can do something to get them out of my realm?

I can't believe I'm trying to get people out of my kingdom :v:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
New beta, mostly bugfixes this time:

quote:

MAJOR:
- Fixed CTD in Religion Tab if you do not own sons of abraham

MINOR:
- Corrected the tech requirement of getting rid of pagan homeland attrition.
- Tweaked the supply modifier of pagan homeland attrition.
- Fixed error in vassalization of holy order decision
- Usurped titles no longer inherit laws from the previous title if they usurped the title from within that realm or if they were unlanded.
- The Ironman-button in the lobby now correctly show if ironman is enabled or not.
- Fixed bug where titles could not be destroyed.
- Fixed bug where the duchy of Thrace was a viceroyalty while held by the emperor.
- Added missing newline in the Renounce Iconoclasm tooltip.
- Fixed bug where administration laws were reset to feudal when changing religion.
- Revolts no longer count towards vassal limit.
- Fixed bug where the Byzantine duchy revoke did not work upon reloading a save.
- The event where marshal raised raiders are dismissed now properly refers to your marshal instead of the court chaplain.
- Marshal raised raiders are now dismissed first after a month if they are not in use.
- The convert to Andalusian decision is no longer available for Andalucians.
- Form a new Empire now require you to have either 3 kingdom titles or a realm size of 180, instead of both.
- Fixed an issue with the "Convert to Local Religion" and "Abandon Heresy" event triggers.
- Changed or expanded name lists for several cultures.
- The new culture conversion events and decisions no longer require the Charlemagne DLC.
- Fixed some Frankish characters in 769 start who were prematurely calling themselves French.
- Fixed some issues with Holstein province history.
- All byzantine emperors will now have clothes regardless of what DLCs are enabled.
- Byzantine children are no longer invisible when playing with Early Eastern Clothing Pack enabled and Mediterranean Portraits disabled.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

occipitallobe posted:

If you're, say, King of England and you conquer a duchy in Scotland and never form the King title in Scotland, after 100 years that duchy becomes part of England. Likewise with Empires - after 100 years in your territory places become part of your empire de jure.

It bears mentioning that only Kingdoms drift to Empires. If you are the Emperor of Russia and you only hold the territory of the Duchy of Crimea, Crimea won't drift to Russia. To do that you'll need to hold the entire Kingdom of Taurica.

Also, Duchies can drift to Titular Kingdoms, and if that happens then the Titular Kingdom actually becomes a landed De Jure Kingdom. In my Empire of Italia game the Duchy of Latium drifted into the Papacy, and once I vassalized the Pope the Papacy started drifting into the Empire of Italia, as God intended.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Apoffys posted:

Raiding people of your own faith should be in the game and there are situations where it's handy, but their provinces are usually too poor to bother raiding. It's nice when you have troops raised anyway and nothing better to do with them though. It's already in the beta patch on Steam.

I think the main idea was to give Irish tribals someplace to raid, since historically they did raid people of their own religion. And as it stood their only options were dirt-poor pagans or super-powerful Muslim blobs.

Average Bear posted:

You can convert to a different religion. Non-pagans don't have to do all that crap. Of course, it opens you up to hostility from the pagans around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

- All byzantine emperors will now have clothes regardless of what DLCs are enabled.

Wow, nice job ruining a fable Paradox. <:mad:>

• Locked thread