Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JohnSherman posted:

Someone is going to acknowledge that "Spirit of the Goat" is a loving ridiculous name, right?

Thor's goats'll gently caress you up, man. They're, like, the kings of goats. And let's not forget The Goat Emperor of Dune. That was a pretty good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Acting

Lol

the culminator fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 28, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently their evidence room is in the 1950s.

This is the most Nigma has been on screen yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That's the gimmick of the show, yeah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

That's the gimmick of the show, yeah.

Its just jarring because the rest of the show is a combination of eras, while that room was purely just the 50s.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The Barbara Gordon plotline is the worst. I hope they kill off Miss Supersleuth soon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nygma's coffee mug with the green question mark is a more painful winknod reference than a dozen punny lines, good lord.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cithen posted:

The Barbara Gordon plotline is the worst. I hope they kill off Miss Supersleuth soon.

Its really cliche and loving stupid.

Selina to a sleeping Bruce : We're gonna bang in like a decade.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
You know, this "you killed the penguin" thing should be really easy to fix. I mean he's living with his goddamn mother, which they already know the location of, and is a goddamn restaurant manager and associate of one the major crime bosses. Like someone the corrupt cops would interact with regularly, as shown by bullock and fish's organization.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole thing will fall apart the second Barbara sees a picture of Cobblepot.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The golden temple is open, dudes.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

That episode was a whole lot of nothing until the ending. Goat-therapist is exactly what I want out of this show.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Kithkar posted:

You know, this "you killed the penguin" thing should be really easy to fix. I mean he's living with his goddamn mother, which they already know the location of, and is a goddamn restaurant manager and associate of one the major crime bosses. Like someone the corrupt cops would interact with regularly, as shown by bullock and fish's organization.

Or, you know, that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Nygma's coffee mug with the green question mark is a more painful winknod reference than a dozen punny lines, good lord.

But at least they showed it twice!

I mean, you know, just in case some aliens living under rocks in caves on Mars didn't see it through their surprisingly effective telescopes.

Honestly, the entire show is going to have a lot of groaners, and to me, that's part of the fun. We already know where the lion's share of these characters are going to end up; there is no way that Nigma will turn into some riddle-themed supervillian and people will be all, "Oh, no way! Edward Nigma turned into a supervillian? I didn't know that was going to happen!"

So, given that, why not have some fun with it here and there?

I think a big part of Nigma's screen time in this episode was purely for misdirection. We were, I think, supposed to wonder if Mr. Nigma, who could plausibly have access to all kinds of details of the old crimes, was having his... uh, 'coming out' party, as it were. And did anyone else catch Bullock actually saying the name so that it sounded like the word "enigma?"

I'm still not a fan of Barbara, but I have to admit, the soap opera storyline she and Mr. and Mrs. Goodcops are in did deliver a satisfying moment: at the end, when Cobblepot pops in to say hi, well, I wanted to shout "HA HA HA HA HAAA HAAA, YOU WERE WRROOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG!" at the TV with all the conviction of an 8-year-old. It's going to be hard in-universe (and for the writers, hopefully) to justify the continued investigation into Gordon's policeular activities. I think there's plenty of room in the show for lots of fun stuff; we don't need the ex-girlfriend-wants-to-get-rid-of-her-replacement bullcrud. It's dumb.

Almost as dumb as hypnotizing mentally ill people into becoming extremely effective, stealthy killers.

But this is pre-Batman. Before too long, there's going to be a psychopathic tuxedo dude, a genius in a punctuation suit, and a clown with an army of theme-appropriate henchmen tearing up the town. In the future, this little universe is going to go staight-up Batman. So, yeah, you gotta take the good with the Goat Spirit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

But this is pre-Batman. Before too long, there's going to be a psychopathic tuxedo dude, a genius in a punctuation suit, and a clown with an army of theme-appropriate henchmen tearing up the town. In the future, this little universe is going to go staight-up Batman. So, yeah, you gotta take the good with the Goat Spirit.

none of that is going to be happening for another 14 years, minimum. Best they could hope now for is just some wacky Mobsters.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible... and not a goddamn goat. That poo poo's been played out."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
AHaHAHAHAhaha

"How the hell did this copy goat know this?!"

The hits just keep coming!

lol for real though who the gently caress winds up with both hands to hit someone with a small one-handed hammer? Ahaha/

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 28, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

That episode was a whole lot of nothing until the ending. Goat-therapist is exactly what I want out of this show.

"You're under arrest for conspiracy to murder, coercion, and frankly, a few things I think we're gonna have to name after you." Would be the best part of the episode if not for the whole scene at the end. "I didn't kill Oswald Cobblepot." "I know you didn't, buddy." "No, I REALLY didn't kill Oswald Cobblepot!"

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
yaaaaaaay not a single whisper of Mooney hooray

This episode was a little anemic but it was definitely the not worst episode. I like that they're giving Bullock more screentime, but what I really like is that they seem to be swinging Burton, in both story and camera work. Please, please keep that up, show.

also it'd be nice to see a single other room in stately Wayne manor besides that study. like jesus, can Bruce do some detectiving in the billiard room or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The further down the rabbit hole this show goes the better it'll get.

I was rolling the gently caress out of my eyes at the hypnotist but then stopped for a second and thought "Eh, Batman," and was able to enjoy it all that much more.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Donal Logue is loving killing it. The best part of the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

In the comic, Joker broke into GCPD to steal his face back. They had it in a cryo picture frame, in a draw. He killed everyone except Gordon.

Evidence room is pretty canon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Man, how badly is the MCU going to be embarassed when it turns out they were investigating a murder that never happened on the word of a criminal and the wife of the lead suspect was a former lover of the lead detective who constantly broke protocol to speak to the wife?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Man, how badly is the MCU going to be embarassed when it turns out they were investigating a murder that never happened on the word of a criminal and the wife of the lead suspect was a former lover of the lead detective who constantly broke protocol to speak to the wife?

Surely the word of a random homeless man on the pier was enough evidence to arrest a detective who had already been established as a hero in the city!

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How do you even prove a murder without a body?

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Next week looks to be the best episode of the season I'm actually kinda excited. Is there any reason why cobblepot showed up at the police station or is it just "coincidence"?

He was talking about a war coming and now he's the one starting it, or so it seems, probably his plan all along.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Wezlar posted:

Surely the word of a random homeless man on the pier was enough evidence to arrest a detective who had already been established as a hero in the city!

Eddain posted:

Even worse "victim" whose murder they're trying to pin on him is an informant who they lost.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eddain posted:

It's been done before. The most egregious part is the lead detective constantly telling police matters to the main suspect's wife because she's trying to get back together with her.

In what world does "Hey, I'm getting a warrant to arrest your husband for murder, please leave town so you're not connected" not immediately result in suspension and likely loss of a job.

Cobblepot showing up in public again means he's definitely geared up to make a move against Fish, and Maroni probably has a vested interest in keeping Gordon alive so Falcone can't just have him killed without starting some poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

6-year plan man posted:

Next week looks to be the best episode of the season I'm actually kinda excited. Is there any reason why cobblepot showed up at the police station or is it just "coincidence"?

He was talking about a war coming and now he's the one starting it, or so it seems, probably his plan all along.

In the mommy issues bathtub scene he said that Gordon was someone he could trust, someone who would help him rise to the greatness he deserves. He showed up to save Gordon's rear end and make a very public step out of the shadows.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The MCU characters are the loving worst. I hate every single time they or Barbara are on the screen.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This series really should be subtitles Rise of the Penguin or something because Cobblepot IS the show at this point.

Sure they have to do some procedural poo poo every episode but let's face it, we're all tuning it to see what Cobblepot is up to this week, and he delivers. Every Monday :allears:

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

The Duke posted:

The MCU characters are the loving worst. I hate every single time they or Barbara are on the screen.

yep, me too, they re just terrible at delivering their lies.

Also, that riddle that nigma poses at the start of the episode...really? They pull the boring riddle of the goat, wolf and cabbage. Everyone knows that riddle and everyone with at least 2 braincells can solve it. THats just lazy.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I roll my eyes every time they show Nigma. Yes we know he's obsessed with riddles. Is there anything else to him besides that?

And if you're gonna have Nigma spout some riddles don't make them too long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eddain posted:

I roll my eyes every time they show Nigma. Yes we know he's obsessed with riddles. Is there anything else to him besides that?

There's the awkwardness of him hitting on a girl ...laterally.

This episode felt a whole lot tighter without the Fish/Falcone stuff. The last ten minutes or so were really fun with the crazy hypnotist lady and the final scene was the highlight of the series so far.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Nigma is terrible. If they want to make him a worthwhile character they should do a one-off episode from his POV. Have him solve the case in the first five minutes, then willfully withhold his conclusion as the bodies pile up until the detectives can "figure it out" on their own. Imply that this is what happens in every episode.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah after spending all their energy investigating Gordon based on the testimony of a homeless guy and no body in a town where every member of the PD is corrupt and then the dead guy shows up while you are booking the suspect I would really hope that Montoya gets sent to permanent desk duty. Seriously she and her partner are the most incompetent cops.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He reminds me too much of Hank from X-Men.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Nameless Pete posted:

Nigma is terrible. If they want to make him a worthwhile character they should do a one-off episode from his POV. Have him solve the case in the first five minutes, then willfully withhold his conclusion as the bodies pile up until the detectives can "figure it out" on their own. Imply that this is what happens in every episode.

That's a good idea, actually.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

twistedmentat posted:

The evidence room looks a lot like any government standard records room to be honest (even the non-public stacks at say the Library of Congress).

Also could they have done more to make Montoya the worst crazy, jealous ex on tv? I honestly don't think they could have ruined the character more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

The evidence room looks a lot like any government standard records room to be honest (even the non-public stacks at say the Library of Congress).

Also could they have done more to make Montoya the worst crazy, jealous ex on tv? I honestly don't think they could have ruined the character more.

This is them probably setting her up to realize her mistakes and become close compatriots with Jim. Or to getting kicked off the force.

What a horrible interpretation of an awesome character.

• Locked thread