Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoren
May 28, 2008
Why do so many Japanese fantasy stories always need to be some macro-scale, saving the world type of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Thoren posted:

Why do so many Japanese fantasy stories always need to be some macro-scale, saving the world type of poo poo?

Why are pretty much all major event comic book stories about saving the world/galaxy/universe/multiverse?

Generally speaking it is just a constant upping of the scales, from small scale individual, to regional, national, international, etc. Allows the author to expand on the setting and especially in shonen, explains why the gently caress there are progressively stronger and stronger villains.

Saving the world stories can be done well. Look at the end of Fullmetal Alchemist compared to this. Both are about saving everyone from a massive ritual spell, its just one of them sucks total rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There wasn't really a lot of fall out from the whole "Konoha was turned into a crater" thing was there?

He just beat Pain and then they just started rebuilding and nothing else really came of it. You'd think it would be a bigger deal, but what do I know?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aurain posted:

There wasn't really a lot of fall out from the whole "Konoha was turned into a crater" thing was there?

He just beat Pain and then they just started rebuilding and nothing else really came of it. You'd think it would be a bigger deal, but what do I know?

Yamato got tired from making all that wood.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I expected Sasuke to have a "wait, what" moment and become very confused about what he was going to do next, but nothing ever came of it.

"What now Sasuke, leaf village is a giant crater"

"It is now my ambition to salt that crater"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Triple Elation posted:

I expected Sasuke to have a "wait, what" moment and become very confused about what he was going to do next, but nothing ever came of it.

"What now Sasuke, leaf village is a giant crater"

"It is now my ambition to salt that crater"

And then he cries for 700 days and 700 nights into that crater.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Yeah lol the fact that they could almost instantaneously rebuild from anything resembling actual destruction kind of removes a lot of the weight of the destruction itself and makes you wonder why these god like beings bother fighting one another

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Caros posted:

Why are pretty much all major event comic book stories about saving the world/galaxy/universe/multiverse?

Generally speaking it is just a constant upping of the scales, from small scale individual, to regional, national, international, etc. Allows the author to expand on the setting and especially in shonen, explains why the gently caress there are progressively stronger and stronger villains.

Saving the world stories can be done well. Look at the end of Fullmetal Alchemist compared to this. Both are about saving everyone from a massive ritual spell, its just one of them sucks total rear end.

It's just boring the vast majority of the time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbp posted:

Yeah lol the fact that they could almost instantaneously rebuild from anything resembling actual destruction kind of removes a lot of the weight of the destruction itself and makes you wonder why these god like beings bother fighting one another

Just in-case Nagato saying "Actually, I take it back, I'm going to revive the fan favourite character who just had a poignant scene with his dead dad and all the other mooks and revive absolutely everyone I killed" didn't fully get across the point that this series is sort of bad.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
By now, Sasuke should just kill Naruto, rule everyone for a few hundred years, realize the error of his ways and realize he needs help, and use rinnegan with the last of his chakra to revive Naruto to come save the day.

And BAM! A new manga is born without Sasuke.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

|Ziggy| posted:

By now, Sasuke should just kill Naruto, rule everyone for a few hundred years, realize the error of his ways and realize he needs help, and use rinnegan with the last of his chakra to revive Naruto to come save the day.

And BAM! A new manga is born without Sasuke.

This is the best possible setup for Naruto GX I think

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Death Bot posted:

This is the best possible setup for Naruto GX I think

Get your game on, Gaara. :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naruto last movie getting novelization.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-28/the-last-naruto-the-movie-to-get-novelization/.80421

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hoping that ninja Batman, Shikamaru has had this whole fight planned out for years and Sasuke ends up dismembered and buried alive in an old well.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I kinda have a question. Is there anybody left in this series who hasn't died at least once other than Sasuke?

I mean Naruto didn't technically die but without a convenient replacement fox he would have so that one goes either way, but otherwise?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shugojin posted:

I kinda have a question. Is there anybody left in this series who hasn't died at least once other than Sasuke?

I mean Naruto didn't technically die but without a convenient replacement fox he would have so that one goes either way, but otherwise?

Sasuke died, he was killed and reborn in that barrel that the sound 4 were carrying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Sasuke died, he was killed and reborn in that barrel that the sound 4 were carrying.

When I recall that Sasuke spent a considerable number of hours sealed into a pot while he popped some of Orochimaru's special drugs, his behavior in the series at this point makes a lot more sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Last Naruto The Movie: The Novel is a pretty neat title.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Sasuke died at that time too. Madara impaled his bitch rear end.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Does anyone else see that image and think the armpit face is the one with the last disapproving quip?

Also I just realized why shirtless Madara wrecked the character so much for me. Dude looks like he'd struggle to bench fifty pounds. I mean, also disapproving face nipple, but seriously.

Did Sakura die at any point? I forget.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The entire manga has been Sakura's slow, slow death.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I officially consider the Naruto: Altered History fan-fiction to be the proper canon now.

And that has Anko as Naruto's sensei.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I officially consider the Naruto: Altered History fan-fiction to be the proper canon now.

And that has Anko as Naruto's sensei.

Altered History is terrible, actually. Among other things, it had Shino falling in love with one of his bugs.

(I know, trap sprung. I was younger when I read it. Even then I realized it was terrible and dropped it.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 29, 2014

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
loving Naruto fanfiction. Did any of you try to read the super-uber-popular one with 5 million chapters where a race of reality-bending super beings from another dimension with cooler-than-thou names like "Scabbard", "Ghost" and "Crypt", who are unimaginably more powerful than anyone in the main cast, invade the plot and reset time except Naruto retains all his memories, and then the rest of the story revolves around their ridiculously overpowered abilities, plot-moving speeches, invariably successful manipulation of events to their exact whims, and HI-LARIOUS antics? Did you fawn over it like the rest of its 50,000 fawning reviews on fanfiction.net? Then congratulations, you have horrible taste.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Triple Elation posted:

loving Naruto fanfiction.

The best fanfic is the one where Gai kills everyone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Poor Anko. A woman afore she could ever be relevant.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Altered History is terrible, actually. Among other things, it had Shino falling in love with one of his bugs.

(I know, trap sprung. I was younger when I read it. Even then I realized it was terrible and dropped it.)

And it's still infinitely better than the actual canon.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This is now the Japanese Dominic Deegan. It's difficult to imagine things worse than it. Madara's 'defeat' and literally everything involving Kaguya were so loving utterly and amazingly atrocious that outside of Dominic Deegan I really can't think of any comparable poo poo in fiction. Naruto always had its highs and its lows, and those lows could be pretty loving low, but the last year turned Naruto from 'something maybe salvagable, but with lots of bad poo poo' to 'one of the nadirs of fiction'

Like the final boss was the platonic ideal of Kishi's misogyny.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

Like the final boss was the platonic ideal of Kishi's misogyny

Now I'm sad they didn't work that angle in-universe. I can just hear the crazy vocals from the anime that played when Juubi was unleashing its natural disaster combo pak attack, and Naruto expositing about how Kishi's misogyny is so completely out of control that it has taken corporeal form, and it is capable of opening dimensional portals to those dark little places where Kishi has put his repressed female-directed anger.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Did Sakura die at any point? I forget.

I'm sure she's dead inside from every time one of her teammates has to save her from her own stupidity.

Also, the new chapter is out.

Sasuke posted:

Why do you keep trying to get in my way?

Naruto posted:

Because you're my friend.

Sasuke posted:

You already said that once.

Once?!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 29, 2014

slev
Apr 6, 2009

This managed to get even more gay

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
This might be super touching if I gave a poo poo about either of these characters.

So how do you think they're arms are going to get replaced?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The flashback was boring, but at least it was a nice fight.

Flytrap posted:

This might be super touching if I gave a poo poo about either of these characters.

So how do you think they're arms are going to get replaced?
THE CLAW!!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here, have a bad translation.

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/698

Yay!

Flashbacks!
Conversations!
Lying around bleeding!

Is that loving it? Fighting done?
Near 700 chapters to finish on a wet fart of an ending?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

slev posted:

This managed to get even more gay

Between the arm blood heart, Sasuke literally saying "I might come for your rear end again", and the revelation that Sasuke became evil because he loves Naruto too much (are you loving serious), I'd be a bit surprised if this chapter didn't end up in Shojo Beat.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm pretty sure the correct way to read Naruto is to read Part 1 up until the original VotE fight is about to end, then this chapter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I might come after your rear end again, you know"
- Sasuke.

Naruto in a nutshell.

Aside from the whole "there's a movie set after this coming", we know that Naruto has two arms. So yeah, cool?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This really is the only part of this chapter you need to see.
It just needs a b-baka in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Between the arm blood heart, Sasuke literally saying "I might come for your rear end again", and the revelation that Sasuke became evil because he loves Naruto too much (are you loving serious), I'd be a bit surprised if this chapter didn't end up in Shojo Beat.

Didn't we already know that the Sharingan makes you love so goddamn much that you spontaneously turn evil for no loving reason.

Also, man wouldn't it have been nice if we could have organically understood the Sasuke/Naruto rivalry throughout the manga rather than it being explained to us for like 10 loving pages in the climax!

• Locked thread