Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not SM, and a little late, but jetbike chat reminded me of this cool thing someone made for Tau. You can 3D print it for yourself too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think this is the color scheme that I'll proceed with. The guy on the right is the newest and for the oath I very likely won't complete this month. I don't know what I'm doing with the fur and ruffly bits that isn't bad drybrushing, but the color choices seem to work ok for a "beginning of Fall" sort of scheme.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think this is the color scheme that I'll proceed with. The guy on the right is the newest and for the oath I very likely won't complete this month. I don't know what I'm doing with the fur and ruffly bits that isn't bad drybrushing, but the color choices seem to work ok for a "beginning of Fall" sort of scheme.

I'm continually impressed by how clean your painting is. Everything looks so smooth and crisp, I honestly get a bit jealous over it!

If you're going for a fall look, do try and pick up some leaf flock. Should there be any birch trees nearby you, grab the seed pods; the little flaky parts off of them are perfectly shaped for leaves, and all you'll really have to do is maybe paint them up suitable fall colors. You can get a lot off of just a few pods too, but for the love of god put them in a ziplock bag first. They get everywhere otherwise.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
A figure from Deep Wars, Abyssal Gark:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bachtere posted:

Been lazy the last few months, finally got back to painting. Here is a warm up model I did last night:

Everything you post is a goddamn treat.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks, I've been working on improving what I can do for the oath thread but fur and convincing metal still vex me. That's high praise coming from you though! I do have tubs of GF9 dry grass and fall foliage just for this project so I can work on my basing too.

Speaking of jealousy, Bachtere, those vivid colors and patterned metal are the sort of things I want to eventually match.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Bachtere posted:

A figure from Deep Wars, Abyssal Gark:

That's a fantastic way to add character to metal areas. Goddamn, bachtere.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Our D&D group is doing a short Deadlands campaign, and I was short on character ideas since it's not my favorite genre... So I decided to introduce Rick Sanchez to the Weird West.

As a Mad Scientist (one of the classes in Deadlands) he'll be building contraptions designed to return him to his mysterious home, a parallel dimension. With only a wiry young mule named Morty, Rick's huffed so much Ghost Rock he's turned gray and his hair blue.

Anyway, that's a thing. Couldn't get the lighting right on the picture, but whatever.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Our D&D group is doing a short Deadlands campaign, and I was short on character ideas since it's not my favorite genre... So I decided to introduce Rick Sanchez to the Weird West.

As a Mad Scientist (one of the classes in Deadlands) he'll be building contraptions designed to return him to his mysterious home, a parallel dimension. With only a wiry young mule named Morty, Rick's huffed so much Ghost Rock he's turned gray and his hair blue.

Anyway, that's a thing. Couldn't get the lighting right on the picture, but whatever.

I have no models to add to the thread, but god drat that is a great idea.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Not exactly a wargaming miniature related question, but still close enough:

I have a resin model kit that I'm slowly sanding into submission and I can already see I'll have a jolly good time if I attempt to glue some of the pieces together with CA superglue, since I'm likely to mess it up. I have epoxy putty though, will that develop a strong enough bond to use in place of glue? I'd much rather use it so I can fiddle with placement before it goes solid.

Also, painting/airbrushing - before or after assembly?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ledenko posted:

Also, painting/airbrushing - before or after assembly?

This is like asking Ford or Chevy, Ferrari or Porsche, etc. - I think it depends on how the model is built and assembled as to if you paint before assembling or after. For small wargaming models, the general rule is 'if you can't see it, don't worry about it', and at most paint it black because it's going to be shadow anyway.

I suppose for a large figure you'll want to have a bit more detail than that so just think about how realistic you want the model to be and start from there?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I now try to paint things like bikes and riders separately since it is so difficult to get a brush in between all the areas you need to, and arms and handle bars etc can really get in the way and make some frustrating mistakes.

I also have a decimator I'm planning on painting the shoulder pads separately because they are easy to put on anyway and I can freely dry brush the wires underneath this way. Also I painted my heldrake wings individually. That was a chore to assemble but wow was it simpler than trying to delicately paint metal rims on overlapping wings.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone happen to have a decent list or overview of how the various GW colours stack against each other in tone?

Because I realized I wanted to paint the insides of my Krieg commander's coat a lighter colour than the Russ Grey that's used on the outside for some extra detailing. But I've got no real idea what lighter grey I should really use for that so it doesn't stand out too much or if I just should use white for that instead.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Cross post from the terrain thread.

Just got a Kickstarter reward level in!

Secret Weapon Tablescapes. I've been waiting for these for a long while.

The quality is great, I have two complaints, a few too many road sections, and no simple turns, and the ruined building areas have a lot of rubble that prevents placement of buildings.

The former is easily fixed by a few custom tiles, and the latter is fixed by using ruined wall sections, kinda like the dust buildings in the last photo.

each one is 12"x12" so it fills my 4x8 table perfectly.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone happen to have a decent list or overview of how the various GW colours stack against each other in tone?

Because I realized I wanted to paint the insides of my Krieg commander's coat a lighter colour than the Russ Grey that's used on the outside for some extra detailing. But I've got no real idea what lighter grey I should really use for that so it doesn't stand out too much or if I just should use white for that instead.

You don't really need a chart like that, nor do you need every single color in range. If you painted something grey, and you want to lighten that grey, add a dab of white or bleached bone (or what ever they call it now). Never paint pure white it just gets ugly in the end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I’m starting to get pissed at myself for picking such a complex theme. This squad of 25 breachers has turned into a death march. I spent about 20 hours working on them this weekend and am just barely at the point that they are ‘starting to look good’. I’ve spent most of my free time over the last 3 months trying to get them finished and I still have a good 40 hours of work left :(

I don’t think I’ll ever paint so many models at the same time again. gently caress.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I’m starting to get pissed at myself for picking such a complex theme. This squad of 25 breachers has turned into a death march. I spent about 20 hours working on them this weekend and am just barely at the point that they are ‘starting to look good’. I’ve spent most of my free time over the last 3 months trying to get them finished and I still have a good 40 hours of work left :(

I don’t think I’ll ever paint so many models at the same time again. gently caress.

What color scheme? Still doing Iron Warriors?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

It's partly my technique and part how much I undertook. I do too many advanced things on my troops. This batch also has shields and more detail than the guys above so I'm doing about twice as much work for each model. I'm painting 25 and it feels like 50.

After these I'll need to do another 30. I'm thinking I might just pretend everyone else is a detachment from another legion that's easy to paint. Then I can bang them out 10 at a time.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 27, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What are the bits on those? I'm only just getting to the point where I can ID a few bits/heads/weapons here and there, are you doing a 30K army with plastic bodies and a few Forge World bits? Or am I completely wrong...

I ask because I'll be looking to start a 30K army soon, and I'm considering getting ebay rescues of normal space marines and sticking on Puppetswar or FW heads & shoulder pads, so I can get the bulk of the army cheap.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

What are the bits on those? I'm only just getting to the point where I can ID a few bits/heads/weapons here and there, are you doing a 30K army with plastic bodies and a few Forge World bits? Or am I completely wrong...

I ask because I'll be looking to start a 30K army soon, and I'm considering getting ebay rescues of normal space marines and sticking on Puppetswar or FW heads & shoulder pads, so I can get the bulk of the army cheap.

Yep, at its core it’s 30k MK3 armor with plastic CSM torsos. I did this because the proportions are excellent (Forgeworld armor is slightly larger and goes great with smaller torsos) and you can sell the FW bits to greatly reduce the cost of the project.

I used:
-FW MK3 Arms + Legs
-GW CSM torsos
-GW Iron Warrior heads
-GW CSM backpacks (converted to look like loyalist ones)
-GW cadian + CSM pouches + grenade bits
-FW Phobos pattern bolters
-Anvil industry drum mags
-Chinese Jeweler chain

My recommendation is to do what you’re thinking- grab some bits/rescues on ebay and bash those together with some FW guns and other bits + bobs. You could always do what I did- buy 3-4 FW kits and then sell 3/4s of them to more-or-less cover the cost of the project.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

So working on a Ret army for my local journeyman league.

Any opinions on the scheme?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BULBASAUR posted:

Yep, at its core it’s 30k MK3 armor with plastic CSM torsos. I did this because the proportions are excellent (Forgeworld armor is slightly larger and goes great with smaller torsos) and you can sell the FW bits to greatly reduce the cost of the project.

I used:
-FW MK3 Arms + Legs
-GW CSM torsos
-GW Iron Warrior heads
-GW CSM backpacks (converted to look like loyalist ones)
-GW cadian + CSM pouches + grenade bits
-FW Phobos pattern bolters
-Anvil industry drum mags
-Chinese Jeweler chain

My recommendation is to do what you’re thinking- grab some bits/rescues on ebay and bash those together with some FW guns and other bits + bobs. You could always do what I did- buy 3-4 FW kits and then sell 3/4s of them to more-or-less cover the cost of the project.

Well goddamn. That's the plan, there. I was kind of thinking of using mostly loyalist bodies, arms & legs, chopping off the heads and removing the shoulder pads I could and using 3rd party or FW stuff for heads, pads and weapons. I think it'll depend what I find off ebay to a certain extent.

Next step is to decide what army to do - Death Guard or Sons of Horus are my first choices, but as I read through the HH army books I'm sure I'll find more I want to do.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gilljoy posted:

So working on a Ret army for my local journeyman league.

Any opinions on the scheme?

From the thumbnail I thought his head was a pumpkin.

Clearly you should replace all their heads with pumpkins.

krushgroove posted:

Next step is to decide what army to do - Death Guard or Sons of Horus are my first choices, but as I read through the HH army books I'm sure I'll find more I want to do.

Alpha Legion are fantastic trolls and are reasonably fun to paint if you go by THE OFFICIAL FW COLOR SCHEME that doesn't really use GW much paints at all.

quote:

ALPHA LEGION
1.Airbrush with thinned leadbelcher/iron breaker (50/50)

2.Airbrush from top of model with thinned runefang steel

3.Mix a little Tamiya clear green with Tamiya clear blue (25/75 mix) and airbrush over the model in 2 coats

4.Airbrush armour panels with Tamiya clear blue. Blending from middle of figure down, so the strongest blue colour is at the bottom of the panels.

5.Airbrush from the middle upwards with Tamiya clear green.

6.Using an airbrush, blend a highlight on the highest panels (head, shoulderpads, top of backpack) with runefang steel with a tiny amount of lothern blue, extremely thinned down.

7.Apply thinned coat of Tamiya clear blue over the highlights and blend into the surrounding area.

8.Using a blue glaze, drag down the whole model allowing it to settle in the deepest areas.

Silver - Base with leadbelcher
Wash with nuln oil
Highlight with leadbelcher in striking motions to create chipped and weathered appearance
Highlight with ironbreaker

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

The Impaler posted:

That's a fantastic way to add character to metal areas. Goddamn, bachtere.

Thanks, although a lot of the credit goes to the sculptor, the various swirls are all detailed on. Though it is a very cool look.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Well goddamn. That's the plan, there. I was kind of thinking of using mostly loyalist bodies, arms & legs, chopping off the heads and removing the shoulder pads I could and using 3rd party or FW stuff for heads, pads and weapons. I think it'll depend what I find off ebay to a certain extent.

Out of these the SOH have the hardest color scheme. The others can be ridiculously easy depending how you go about doing it.

Look into the rules. All the legions can do everything, but some are better than others at certain things. Since you're going to pour a lot of time and money into the project make sure you are happy with how they will play :)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

It's partly my technique and part how much I undertook. I do too many advanced things on my troops. This batch also has shields and more detail than the guys above so I'm doing about twice as much work for each model. I'm painting 25 and it feels like 50.

After these I'll need to do another 30. I'm thinking I might just pretend everyone else is a detachment from another legion that's easy to paint. Then I can bang them out 10 at a time.

Don't do it, man, they look so loving good. When the army's done you'll thank yourself for keeping it consistent.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

Don't do it, man, they look so loving good. When the army's done you'll thank yourself for keeping it consistent.
Definitely. Take em in smaller batches; I hated painting scouts 10 at a time, but 5 at a time they were really fun. I only ever did batches of 20+ with Guardsmen or models with really limited color palettes and simplistic schemes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
X Post from the Warmahordes thread. I'm just getting back into painting and did this guy last night. Any advice/criticisms for improvements would be appreciated.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Base the coppery/ bronze bits in a dark brown and get a few lightly thinned bronze metal coats down for better coverage. If you want, do a very light drybrush in a pink colour for osl around the vents. Gonna leave the base as-is?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Impaler posted:

Base the coppery/ bronze bits in a dark brown and get a few lightly thinned bronze metal coats down for better coverage. If you want, do a very light drybrush in a pink colour for osl around the vents. Gonna leave the base as-is?

Cheers. I will give the brown -> copper a shot and grab some pink paint for a very light glow.

I was going to put down some green grass flocking in patches, but otherwise yes. My basing technique at the moment is Paint Base Brown -> Cover in glue -> press into dirt -> glue on grass flock. Open to suggestions for improvements.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hey SRM, how hard is it to get vintage transfer sheets? Because I have this uncut Ultramarines Assault Squad one and I'm vaguely considering cutting it up to get like three things off of it but I won't if people actually care about acquiring these. You seemed like the person who would know about circa 1996 Ultramarines transfer sheets.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Finished with the model at this point (although the face is still pissing me off). Just need to get the base done and him on it.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

hooman posted:

Cheers. I will give the brown -> copper a shot and grab some pink paint for a very light glow.

I was going to put down some green grass flocking in patches, but otherwise yes. My basing technique at the moment is Paint Base Brown -> Cover in glue -> press into dirt -> glue on grass flock. Open to suggestions for improvements.

If you have separate red and white paint you can mix up a quick pink and try it out before buying a whole pot if you dont end up liking the effect.

I'd probably hit the base with a dark brown/ black wash to mute it to stop it looking like too much like you just dipped it in dirt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cyclomatic posted:

Finished with the model at this point (although the face is still pissing me off). Just need to get the base done and him on it.

I like this model.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Alpha Legion are fantastic trolls and are reasonably fun to paint if you go by THE OFFICIAL FW COLOR SCHEME that doesn't really use GW much paints at all.
I had a bit of a laugh with one of the Forge World guys at Warhammer Fest about someone even mentioning airbrushes during one of the FW talks! :) I'll have to read up on Alpha Legion as they are probably the easiest 30K army for me to do that won't make me want to repaint all my 40K CSM. One idea I had was to do 30K Death Guard and 40K Plague Marines, or 30K SoH and 40K Black Legion, just to tie them all together. Alpha Legion at least can be 'anywhere', sort of, so I won't feel the spergy need to have armies in various stages of history...

BULBASAUR posted:

Out of these the SOH have the hardest color scheme. The others can be ridiculously easy depending how you go about doing it.

Look into the rules. All the legions can do everything, but some are better than others at certain things. Since you're going to pour a lot of time and money into the project make sure you are happy with how they will play :)
Thanks, yeah, I think I've decided that until I get my mountains of grey plastic down to a manageable size I'm not going to get any 30K stuff just yet...let's see how long I keep that promise to myself! This hobby...so bad for setting personal limits...

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Proper photos later this week, but I have made a lot of head way on my Rackham figures.

Here were have most recent to less recent, going from left to right. A Griffin Inquisitor, Exorcist, and another Inquisitor.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Stop posting awesome stuff. You make me want to buy more things.

Are those Hybrid, or Confrontation? They look as if Chronopia got and awesome resculpt.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Stop posting awesome stuff. You make me want to buy more things.

Are those Hybrid, or Confrontation? They look as if Chronopia got and awesome resculpt.

These are for both Hybrid and Confrontation, given Hybrid is a minis board game set in the same world. These guys will form the core of the Inquisitional forces. So essentially an alternative good guy side for Hybrid, but also can be used in some missions from the magazine where it is Inquisition vs Lodge of Hod (the models that you get in the core game plus a few others). I also have New and Old Dirz selections which also means I can run a missions where those forces fight each other. Combined with the Lions of Alahan I have and the Cynwall elves, there are a lot of options for the game.

Obviously I need to play some Confrontation at some point for some fun.

Currently in the works are two Thalions and two Executioners, which will form the main troop selections for the Inquisitional forces, and then I have 3 Fusiliers and 3 Templars which will be good for either flavour of Griffin. Technically the Executioners can run with the Lodge of Hod, and so can the Exorcist, but have these factions split neatly is nice.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, I hit the base with some Devlan mud and gave a dry brushing of a light pink, and then a warlock purple darker brush.

Also tried out a wet palette for the first time. It was really, really good. Thanks thread!

Not entirely happy with the tops of the smokestacks, but pretty happy with a first effort at a glow effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

hooman posted:

Thanks for the advice, I hit the base with some Devlan mud and gave a dry brushing of a light pink, and then a warlock purple darker brush.

Also tried out a wet palette for the first time. It was really, really good. Thanks thread!

Not entirely happy with the tops of the smokestacks, but pretty happy with a first effort at a glow effect.

Might just be me but it seems to get brighter as it gets father away from the light source

• Locked thread