Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I use that tamron on a 5d ii and it really is a pretty good lens on FF. 90% of the time my 50mm 1.4 is attached to the front but the tamron is good when you need to go wider or to have flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Looking for a bit of guidance. After downsizing my kit a few years ago (got rid of some L glass), I'm left with a 30D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, and 50 f/1.4. I rented a 6D + 24-105L lens for a trip to Mexico a couple weeks back, and really enjoyed shooting again, especially on a nicer piece of gear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge on a refurb 6D since I can get it for ~$1370. I'm struggling with what to do for glass - I can get the 17-40 (also refurb from Canon) for $540 or can go for the 24-105L for around $600 from KEH/eBay. Any thoughts? I'm not quite sure I'm ready to drop the coin on a 24-70L yet.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you're considering the 24-70L /at all/, why not the 24-70 Tamron? It's way more expensive than the lenses you're looking at right now, but it's by no means bad, and it's a drat sight cheaper than the Canon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you liked the 24-105, is there any harm in picking that up? Did you want it to go wider? Then think about the 17-40 (or the new 16-35 f4L, which sounds really good but is spendy).

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

harperdc posted:

If you liked the 24-105, is there any harm in picking that up? Did you want it to go wider? Then think about the 17-40 (or the new 16-35 f4L, which sounds really good but is spendy).

I think I'll end up going with the 24-105.

Another question - I've got a 50mm 1.4 that has been having issues with autofocus. Took it into the local shop and they gave me a quote of $200 to repair the focus unit. Does that seem standard for autofocus repair?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have a ring light that meters thorough the lens. Every loving time, it seems to be blown the hell out.

Frustrating as hell. I just want to take awesome pics of my son without making it over blown.

Might just buy a speed light or something.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Soulex posted:

I have a ring light that meters thorough the lens. Every loving time, it seems to be blown the hell out.

Frustrating as hell. I just want to take awesome pics of my son without making it over blown.

Might just buy a speed light or something.

Do you accidentally have flash exposure compensation?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I need some advice on buying a new camera (or rather, lenses for a new camera).

First, I'm an absolute beginner at proper photography, so I don't really know what I'm doing. That said, I've borrowed Canon DSLRs in the past and I've been happy with them. My Dad has used them for a while, so that's what I've been exposed to. He used to be a hobbyist (never professional) and has a small collection, and even used to have his own darkroom back in the day. He's even going to send me an old faulty Rebel XT that I may be able to salvage some use out of (along with a spare lens of somesort...not sure what).

Anyhow, even if I can get the XT to work, I'm probably going to get a T5i in the near future. My main uses are going to be for casual photography. If I had to be more specific based on pictures I've taken in the past, it would be mostly for outdoor photography, but I also intend to use it for astrophotography.

My question now is: What lens kit should I go for? It looks like the body + 18-55mm lens goes for the same price as the body only, so it'd be pretty dumb to get just the camera body. So the question is between the 18-55mm lens kit or the 18-135mm lens kit. For me, $700 is already a significant chunk of change to drop on a camera, even though I'm well aware that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Another $200 can be done, but I would really need to justify it.

On the surface, I can see how it would be nice to have a higher zoom and still be able to get a wide shot without swapping lenses. But being new to proper photography, I don't know if the 18-135mm is going to perform as well as the 18-55mm for wider shots.

Maybe a better way to put it is: Should I get the 18-55mm lens kit and put the $200 towards a nicer lens for higher zoom applications down the road? Or should I just suck it up and pay the extra $200 now for the 18-135mm lens?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Try and get a dual zoom kit if you're worried about range. Otherwise just grab the cheap kit, and a used long zoom later.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Try and get a dual zoom kit if you're worried about range. Otherwise just grab the cheap kit, and a used long zoom later.

The 55-250 STM is pretty great, and when it comes in stock on Canon's refurbished site, it's 240$. No brainer at that price.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

evil_bunnY posted:

I think I'm more concerned about getting the most out of my money right now. The extra range would be nice, but not if I end up with a crappy lens that I'm just going to get frustrated with and replace later.

timrenzi574 posted:

The 55-250 STM is pretty great, and when it comes in stock on Canon's refurbished site, it's 240$. No brainer at that price.

That's definitely good information to have.

So on further research, it looks like B&H has a dual zoom kit that adds in a 75-300mm zoom for $799, which seems too good to be true given that they have the 18-135mm kit for $899.

Thoughts? $100 for an extra lens...seems like I'd be stupid not to do it, even if it's a piece of crap lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

I think I'm more concerned about getting the most out of my money right now. The extra range would be nice, but not if I end up with a crappy lens that I'm just going to get frustrated with and replace later.
The 18-55 kit is literally the cheapest glass canon makes but that doesn't make it bad. It's very versatile, and great value.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 18-55 kit is literally the cheapest glass canon makes but that doesn't make it bad. It's very versatile, and great value.

That's comforting knowledge. I figured it was a token offering, but it's good to know I won't be stuck with total garbage. And considering it's free right now, I'm not sure I can really say anything bad about it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

DaveSauce posted:

That's comforting knowledge. I figured it was a token offering, but it's good to know I won't be stuck with total garbage. And considering it's free right now, I'm not sure I can really say anything bad about it.

Don't get that kit with the 75-300. That lens is pretty bad. If you decide you want/could use a telezoom, get one of the 55-250 STM's refurbished when it comes up and you have the cash. It's the best option on crop of Canon's consumer level telezooms - focus is fast, IS is great, and the optics are pretty dang good. It's also super light and not too big.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The 55-250 refurb is $99

e: not the STM, but a good lens from what I've heard

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The 55-250 refurb is $99

Yup - this one is not quite as good as the STM, but still better than the 75-300 also.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm thinking about jumping back into the DSLR world after using my NEX 5N for a few years. Going on vacation with some friends and using their 60D has me really missing that world of photography.

Before I got my 5N I had a 50D with grip and a Tamron 17-50 and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and loved it and now regret getting rid of it. :(

It looks like 50D's can be bought pretty cheap from KEH nowadays. Are they still a worthwhile camera?

Things I shoot are general walk around/vacation photos, some sports(mostly golf and baseball) and general candid shots. Would it be worth it to pickup a used 50D or save up and get something newer?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You're in luck, Canon is unwilling or unable to improve their sensor technology, so the 50D is still a perfectly good camera in their lineup. Newer gen cameras mostly have minor ergonomic changes and better video.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 20, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

You're in luck, Canon is unwilling or unable to improve their sensor technology, so the 50D is still a perfectly good camera in their lineup. Newer gen cameras mostly have minor ergonomic changes and better video.

Good to know, video isn't much of a concern for me anyways.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

timrenzi574 posted:

Don't get that kit with the 75-300. That lens is pretty bad. If you decide you want/could use a telezoom, get one of the 55-250 STM's refurbished when it comes up and you have the cash. It's the best option on crop of Canon's consumer level telezooms - focus is fast, IS is great, and the optics are pretty dang good. It's also super light and not too big.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The 55-250 refurb is $99

That's interesting. I figured $100 was a screaming deal for a lens like the 75-300, but looking at the refurbs I can see it's really not that great of a deal. This is why I ask questions. Thanks!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

DaveSauce posted:

That's interesting. I figured $100 was a screaming deal for a lens like the 75-300, but looking at the refurbs I can see it's really not that great of a deal. This is why I ask questions. Thanks!

Yeah, it's not a deal even at 99$ - it's a pretty bad lens. Tons of CA, super blurry past 200mm, and no IS.

Edit: You're welcome!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Do you accidentally have flash exposure compensation?

Not sure. In the process of moving but I'll check it out when I can.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

Yep, the 50D is probably the best value Canon camera out there, other than maybe the 5Dc. Canon gimped the 60D and the 70D is great but a lot more money.

A 50D and one of those Tamron 17-50 2.8 crop zooms and you're good to go.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yep, the 50D is probably the best value Canon camera out there, other than maybe the 5Dc. Canon gimped the 60D and the 70D is great but a lot more money.

A 50D and one of those Tamron 17-50 2.8 crop zooms and you're good to go.

Ya that was the setup I had before I got rid of it all. :(

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey goons. Someone is sellign their old Canon AE-1 and it comes with a few lenses. I was wondering if A> these would work with my Rebel XS, and if they're worth buying (I'm pretty sure they are for $50).

The images are a little blurry but I figured someone here would know pretty quickly if they're worth it or not.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Gothmog1065 posted:

Hey goons. Someone is sellign their old Canon AE-1 and it comes with a few lenses. I was wondering if A> these would work with my Rebel XS, and if they're worth buying (I'm pretty sure they are for $50).

The images are a little blurry but I figured someone here would know pretty quickly if they're worth it or not.

A) Not without an adapter, and the adapters are either
a1) Teleconverters which will crop further, and reduce optical performance
a2) without glass which loses you infinity focus
a3) super custom mount replacement ones that maintain infinity focus but are expensive and not worth it unless you're talking about like an FD 800mm/L

B) Not unless you can deal with one of the conditions of A

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Or maybe you can just not be a baby and shoot some film.

But yeah those lenses won't work.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Or maybe you can just not be a baby and shoot some film.

But yeah those lenses won't work.

There's that too, you could just use the AE-1. It was a very popular camera for a reason.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah just get the camera for $50 and shoot some film

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The AE-1 was on a different lens mount design than the EOS system that Canon uses now. So, those lenses won't just bolt on.

Film is fun, but expensive. One good SD card is cheaper than buying and developing a roll of film, unless you make a home darkroom, which may be daunting for a beginner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That 50mm 1.8 sure is a solid piece of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8fqd27444&t=204s

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

xzzy posted:

That 50mm 1.8 sure is a solid piece of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8fqd27444&t=204s

I've been borrowing one for a bit and, whilst that hasn't happened yet, it certainly feels like it might. But hey, for the price I guess you can't be too surprised.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

rolleyes posted:

I've been borrowing one for a bit and, whilst that hasn't happened yet, it certainly feels like it might. But hey, for the price I guess you can't be too surprised.

I've given that lens out to probably two hundred students and interns over years and one has never come apart. And students are notorious for breaking things. Somebody mistreated that one, or the whole thing is horseshit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Obviously it's an advance copy of one of those Yongnuo ones.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Did anyone else preorder a 7D2?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Did anyone else preorder a 7D2?

I did, but I cancelled since I had an emergency and it wasn't going to arrive before my trip to Japan (where I am now). Going to try to see if it's available at a duty-free shop in Akihabara.

I've got two lens from an old Canon EOS Rebel SLR (or something) - the one that came with the camera, and a telephoto lens. I haven't touched a DSLR, and haven't used the aforementioned SLR in years, but now that I can splurge a little, I'm hoping to try it out.

1. Is it a waste to buy the 7Dmk2 **not** as just the body? Is having two basic lens possibly advantageous, i.e. If I want to apply some sort of filter to one? I assume the old lens will be compatible and not suck.
2. Suggested equipment and/or reading to go with it?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I did, but I cancelled since I had an emergency and it wasn't going to arrive before my trip to Japan (where I am now). Going to try to see if it's available at a duty-free shop in Akihabara.

I've got two lens from an old Canon EOS Rebel SLR (or something) - the one that came with the camera, and a telephoto lens. I haven't touched a DSLR, and haven't used the aforementioned SLR in years, but now that I can splurge a little, I'm hoping to try it out.

1. Is it a waste to buy the 7Dmk2 **not** as just the body? Is having two basic lens possibly advantageous, i.e. If I want to apply some sort of filter to one? I assume the old lens will be compatible and not suck.
2. Suggested equipment and/or reading to go with it?

The old lens will be compatible, but it's likely if it was the kit lens from a film rebel that it will suck mightily. As well as being nowhere near wide enough on an APS-C body (since it probably starts at either 28 or 35mm) - Likely you'd be better off getting the kit with the 18-135 STM. It's a slow aperture lens, but the optics are good, and the IS is great. (And your rebel kit lens is just as slow anyway most likely)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I am going to take up Canon on their 7D2 preorder deal where you can get the 24-70 f/4 for $399. I don't even know much about that lens, but it fills a hole in my lineup and seems like a great deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

I've given that lens out to probably two hundred students and interns over years and one has never come apart. And students are notorious for breaking things. Somebody mistreated that one, or the whole thing is horseshit.

It's digitalrev, horseshit is kind of their schtick.

I just thought a video of the front element falling out of the lens was hilarious. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Checking out a used 6D from Craigslist tomorrow - anything I should keep an eye out for?