Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sethsez posted:

I can vaguely taste it in HP12 but it doesn't bother me.

Ardmore Traditional Cask, on the other hand, is like drinking a glass of vomit to me. I also get a pretty strong hint of it in Balvenie Doublewood 12, oddly enough.

It's funny how sometimes just hearing about a tasting note like that can make it stick in your mind. I noticed a taste in Edradour that I later heard described as "rotting wood" and now I basically can't drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I and I think others in the thread are big fans of High West Double Rye around the 30 dollar mark. I'd say my tastes line up close to yours.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PA's Liquor Control website had the entire Buffalo Trace Antique Collection on sale for $60 a bottle this morning. Managed to score everything except the W.L. Weller. :dance:

Does anybody else thing Weller 12 is the best value whiskey? $45 for a handle!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

PA's Liquor Control website had the entire Buffalo Trace Antique Collection on sale for $60 a bottle this morning. Managed to score everything except the W.L. Weller. :dance:

Does anybody else thing Weller 12 is the best value whiskey? $45 for a handle!

My vote goes to EC12 personally, but Weller 12 is nice.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
I'm on the bus to Edinburgh tomorrow, then i have 14 days with just myself, a rental car and whole bunch of Scotch distilleries to visit. If anyone has any recommendations/can't miss distilleries please let me know. Particularly interested in non-distillery industry related places like malting factories, cooperage's, collections, whisky bars etc. Post any questions you want asked and ill try to remember them.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

I'm on the bus to Edinburgh tomorrow, then i have 14 days with just myself, a rental car and whole bunch of Scotch distilleries to visit. If anyone has any recommendations/can't miss distilleries please let me know. Particularly interested in non-distillery industry related places like malting factories, cooperage's, collections, whisky bars etc. Post any questions you want asked and ill try to remember them.

The Deanston distillery tour actually lets you inside the warehouse where they age the whisky, which is pretty neat for the smell alone if it's not too far out of your way.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

Head up to Speyside driving past Dalwhinnie on the A9. Worth a stop there if you like a drop of Dalwhinnie. You'll know you are getting to the right area when you pass the stunning Tomatin distillery on the A95 (no tours sadly). Craigellachie has 2 good whisky bars (go to the Highlander Inn). There's a cooperage close to Dufftown and a glut of distilleries in the area, many of which do tours. Glenfarclas do a good tour and if you phone and book ahead, Balvenie do some excellent tours/tastings but they aren't cheap.

Nearest maltings I think is up at Glen Ord, about 30 minutes from Inverness from memory.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Hmm, wonder if this means it will start showing up in NY or CT soon. Managed to snag a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac a couple of years ago but haven't been able to find anything else since.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rockker posted:

Hmm, wonder if this means it will start showing up in NY or CT soon. Managed to snag a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac a couple of years ago but haven't been able to find anything else since.

Should be any day now, you really just have to get lucky - the stuff flies off the shelves nowadays.

This is a pretty good resource: http://bourbonr.com/blog/2014-btac-release-map/

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What's the general opinion on the Dalmore scotch lineup? I was having a glass of Balvennie Doublewood last night when I saw my bottle of Dalmore 12 peaking at me from the back of my cabinet. I never see much chatter on it, I enjoy the 12 year and feel it's more...interesting, than the Balvennie. Can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's deeper or richer or something. Anyways, just curious what you guys think, at the very least I like their bottles and logo :).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

DoctaFun posted:

What's the general opinion on the Dalmore scotch lineup? I was having a glass of Balvennie Doublewood last night when I saw my bottle of Dalmore 12 peaking at me from the back of my cabinet. I never see much chatter on it, I enjoy the 12 year and feel it's more...interesting, than the Balvennie. Can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's deeper or richer or something. Anyways, just curious what you guys think, at the very least I like their bottles and logo :).
I sampled a bunch of their higher-end stuff a while back and was pretty impressed. Don't know about the 12, though.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Just popped open the (old) Black Bottle for the first time and had myself a dram. Honey and campfire smoke on the nose, luscious creamy mouthfeel (I love this about blended whiskys but it's especially apparent here), surprisingly subdued on the smoke (more Caol Ila/Bowmore than Laphroaig/Lagavulin), and a decent little honey/Wonderbread/smoky finish. It's like Bowmore Legend's subdued, chilled out little brother. Sad to hear they won't be making any more of it.

I also grabbed Four Roses Single Barrel on sale from BevMo and I'm super psyched to crack it this weekend. What am I in for?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I also grabbed Four Roses Single Barrel on sale from BevMo and I'm super psyched to crack it this weekend. What am I in for?

Obviously, the bottles will vary a bit, but from the two I've had I've gotten lots of red hot candies/cinnamon and lots of "floral". I've found the first half of each bottle is significantly better than the 2nd. I'd guess that after some air gets it seems to mellow a bit. Don't let that scare you off though. It's still good and I did buy a 2nd bottle.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hmm, so this Wild Turkey American Honey is not as bad as I expected based on what I heard of...jack daniels' kind of similar thing? I dunno. It's sure not whiskey, but it's a tasty enough liqueur.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Hmm, so this Wild Turkey American Honey is not as bad as I expected based on what I heard of...jack daniels' kind of similar thing? I dunno. It's sure not whiskey, but it's a tasty enough liqueur.

American Honey is about the only good thing to come out of the "sweet flavored whiskey liqueur" trend. It makes a superb edition to hot teas or coffees.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Just got done hitting up 5 of the distilleries on the bourbon trail a few weeks ago, and was able to try the Wild Turkey American Honey. Thought it tasted like liquid Bazooka Joe bubble gum. Anyone else get that?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I've been a pretty consistent scotch drinker for the past couple of years, starting out with a bottle of Glenlivet 18 I got for Christmas and then moving on to JW Red/Black. For a while now I've been mainly getting peaty varieties like Laphroaig, and I'm thinking of trying something at the opposite end of the spectrum for some lighter notes and flavors and I need some suggestions. I heard some good things about Auchentoshan 12, can anyone confirm or deny if it's a good one?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

beefart posted:

I've been a pretty consistent scotch drinker for the past couple of years, starting out with a bottle of Glenlivet 18 I got for Christmas and then moving on to JW Red/Black. For a while now I've been mainly getting peaty varieties like Laphroaig, and I'm thinking of trying something at the opposite end of the spectrum for some lighter notes and flavors and I need some suggestions. I heard some good things about Auchentoshan 12, can anyone confirm or deny if it's a good one?

Auchentoshan is a lowland whisky, so it's definitely on the exact opposite end of the spectrum than a heavy peated dram. I haven't tried the 12 year, but if the Classic is anything to go by, then you can expect a lot of subtle mineral/oak flavors without a lot of sweet/fruit.

My personal favorite light/"dry" dram is Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve, but it's a pain in the rear end to find. (If you find it, though, it's more than worth the $45 asking price. Lots of lovely woody/tannic flavors at work as well as honey, but not sweet honey if that makes any sense.) Otherwise, I think that Auchentoshan would be a good option for you.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I generally get unpleasant whiffs of artificial banana flavor or acetone from Auchentoshan, but everyone has different tastes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I really like Auchentoshan for a lighter, grainy cereal whisky. It's not called the Breakfast Whisky for nothing. Quite a friendly dram in my estimation. It's at least worth a try for sure.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

I really like Auchentoshan for a lighter, grainy cereal whisky. It's not called the Breakfast Whisky for nothing.

Never heard that term before.

I think I will drink some now for second breakfast (Yes, I am a hobbit).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trip report for introducing my partner to Balvenie Doublewood:

I finally got down to the liquor store yesterday and picked up a bottle to give to her (in the same way that you give lingerie.)

In the evening I cracked it open, and started to pour her a bit.

:j: - Not too much! Just a little! *already clutching the Brita water jug*
:v: - OK take a small sip first, as is, then add water, or juice to taste.
:j: - Ugh, it tastes like rubbing alco... Oh hey! That is really good.

She then put a not unreasonable amount of water in and quite enjoyed it.

Thanks again for the recommendation thread. When I'm eventually driven into bankruptcy by both of us drinking scotch I will remember how it happened fondly.

~~

Her initial reaction is eerily similar to how she hates stout beer, yet inexplicably enjoys the homebrew stout I just made. She suspects it is because I didn't make a stout.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This year's Woodford Master Collection is aged in pinot noir barrels. Haven't read any tasting notes yet.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

wormil posted:

This year's Woodford Master Collection is aged in pinot noir barrels. Haven't read any tasting notes yet.

I haven't tasted a wine-barrel-aged whisk(e)y yet that hasn't been overly "winey." I don't know if Woodford can stand up to something as strong as pinot noir. I'd still like to try it, though.

Unrelated: While at Costco this past weekend, I saw they had a stock of Alexander Murray "Bon Accord" for just $25/bottle. That's good even for a NAS single-malt Highland. I'm always on the lookout for good budget drams, but I can't find a single review on this stuff - has anyone tried it?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Unrelated: While at Costco this past weekend, I saw they had a stock of Alexander Murray "Bon Accord" for just $25/bottle. That's good even for a NAS single-malt Highland. I'm always on the lookout for good budget drams, but I can't find a single review on this stuff - has anyone tried it?

David Driscoll likes it. Alexander Murray produces the Kirkland brand bottlings, too. And people tend to speak of those positively. For $25 it's probably ok to go in blind.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Picked this up today. Smells and tastes amazing. I haven't really gotten into the heavily peated single malts before.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

VelociBacon posted:

Picked this up today. Smells and tastes amazing. I haven't really gotten into the heavily peated single malts before.

It's quite sweet, so that may mask some of its complexities. I'm not entirely sure there are any complexities. It's got that same simple formula that Laphroaig has...sweet & peat. Only thing I have against it? Laphroaig 10 and QC are cheaper.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

wormil posted:

That sounds interesting and has the potential to be really good. Seems like it could be a love it or hate it type of thing though. Last year Woodford did two single malts, one aged in new oak and the other in used bourbon barrels. I received a bottle of the new oak and it is bad in pretty much every way. Reviews indicate that the used barrel variety is even worse, so I'm not even sure what to think anymore about their Masters experiments.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
never found any BTAC. Grabbed the Parker's Heritage Classic #8 and an Old Forester Birthday bourbon, though. They are about to tuck me in.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS
I just started drinking bourbon again after a year-plus break and have found that my go-to bourbon, Buffalo Trace, is now $10 more expensive than it used to be which I find exceedingly frustrating. I picked up a bottle of Bulleit instead but am not really a big fan. I was looking at trying out Four Roses or Wild Turkey 81 next. Any opinions on these as a budget bourbon?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
If you didn't really dig the Bulleit, Four Roses is probably a good bet. It's similar in quality/price but different enough overall.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

radthibodaux posted:

I just started drinking bourbon again after a year-plus break and have found that my go-to bourbon, Buffalo Trace, is now $10 more expensive than it used to be which I find exceedingly frustrating. I picked up a bottle of Bulleit instead but am not really a big fan. I was looking at trying out Four Roses or Wild Turkey 81 next. Any opinions on these as a budget bourbon?

General consensus is that Wild Turkey 101 far outshines 81 and is well worth the extra cost ($20 vs $22 for 750ml here). I'm a big fan and try to keep some around at all times.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

radthibodaux posted:

Thankfully the price increase simply dropped Buffalo Trace from, "an awesome value for your money" to, "about what I would expect to pay for a bourbon of that quality." It's still worth it, IMO, but if you're looking for something cheaper then Four Roses is always a good option.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

ChickenArise posted:

If you didn't really dig the Bulleit, Four Roses is probably a good bet. It's similar in quality/price but different enough overall.

Sounds good. I'm not looking for something hugely different. Bulleit isn't terrible, it's just that every time I drink it I end up feeling that it's kind of 'flat', for lack of a better word.

good jovi posted:

General consensus is that Wild Turkey 101 far outshines 81 and is well worth the extra cost ($20 vs $22 for 750ml here). I'm a big fan and try to keep some around at all times.

Ok cool. I think the 101 is only ~$18-19 at my local Safeway so still very budget friendly. What makes the 101 outshine the 81?

Thankfully the price increase simply dropped Buffalo Trace from, "an awesome value for your money" to, "about what I would expect to pay for a bourbon of that quality." It's still worth it, IMO, but if you're looking for something cheaper then Four Roses is always a good option.

Yeah I don't think the price is unreasonable by any means, I'm just a bit on the poor side right now so I wanted to give the cheaper options a shot. If none of them really wow me I'll probably go back to Buffalo Trace and drink it sparingly. Though by the time it takes me to go through two or three bottles of bourbon, I hope to have a better paying job.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If you're okay with rye, Rittenhouse rye is probably the best valued whisky I've had so far.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Caddrel posted:

If you're okay with rye, Rittenhouse rye is probably the best valued whisky I've had so far.

I actually haven't had a rye before but I'm open to trying it out. I just wish there was a cost effective way of sampling whiskies. Maybe I can find a local bar that serves it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

radthibodaux posted:

I actually haven't had a rye before but I'm open to trying it out. I just wish there was a cost effective way of sampling whiskies. Maybe I can find a local bar that serves it.

Yeah, I wind up blind buying a lot of these cheaper bourbons and ryes because tasting them for $10 at a bar is practically half the cost of a fifth anyway. That said if you've never had a rye then tasting first is a good idea. They tend to be a lot more spicy than bourbon, though they still have that corn sweetness.

Most bars with a decent bourbon selection will have Rittenhouse. Sazerac is another good one to look for, though about as expensive as Buffalo Trace is now.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

radthibodaux posted:

See if you can have Drinks by the Dram service shipped to you in your home region.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

radthibodaux posted:

Ok cool. I think the 101 is only ~$18-19 at my local Safeway so still very budget friendly. What makes the 101 outshine the 81?

gently caress that, I just paid $28 for a bottle two days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Archenteron posted:

See if you can have Drinks by the Dram service shipped to you in your home region.

This website is awesome but shipping to the US is quite expensive. If I ever get into scotch I'll have to revisit this site. Just to try out a couple cheap bourbons though probably isn't worthwhile.