Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd disagree - Caverna is a much better game, for me, than Agricola. it's a lot more fun and a lot more forgiving, so I can enjoy playing it rather than panicking all the time that I'm going to crash out horribly and die.

See, I don't think it being forgiving makes it a better game at all. The panic is what makes it fun. It'd be like playing Space Alert not in real time or that one dude's lovely Galaxy Trucker group where nobody actually flipped the timer early or playing Caylus without the Provost. Caverna has too many options and safety nets for it to actually be a tense game, making it just another dull Euro game to me where I don't really care about what other people are doing, so it might as well just be a boring point optimization exercise. Yawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

WhiteHowler posted:

Ha! We're you watching us play on the Extra Life stream? I was doing this the entire game, and it became absolutely maddening for the players.

No, the one (and only) time I've played Action Castle was a few months ago, and the Narrator was over-enunciating those words. I guess it's just a subliminal requirement for that game.

Action Castle seemed very easy, but then again, we'd all grown up playing text adventures. I don't know how well it would work with a less experienced group.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

GrandpaPants posted:

See, I don't think it being forgiving makes it a better game at all. The panic is what makes it fun. It'd be like playing Space Alert not in real time or that one dude's lovely Galaxy Trucker group where nobody actually flipped the timer early or playing Caylus without the Provost. Caverna has too many options and safety nets for it to actually be a tense game, making it just another dull Euro game to me where I don't really care about what other people are doing, so it might as well just be a boring point optimization exercise. Yawn.

I never found agricola particularly fun. Possibly that's because I came to it with a group who'd already played it a LOT and knew what they were doing, so I really was quite behind, all the time. Whereas with Caverna, I didn't feel like I was constantly about to starve to death, so it let me get on with working out how best to actually win. In 'gric, I'm trying to not die. In Caverna, I'm trying to win.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I tried the office strategy in Caverna, but I didn't really have much of a plan other than "place overhanging tiles" so I ended up in last place, winner had this horrendous combo Mining Cave, Miner, and Ore Storage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

I never found agricola particularly fun. Possibly that's because I came to it with a group who'd already played it a LOT and knew what they were doing, so I really was quite behind, all the time. Whereas with Caverna, I didn't feel like I was constantly about to starve to death, so it let me get on with working out how best to actually win. In 'gric, I'm trying to not die. In Caverna, I'm trying to win.

In the context of solo play though there is really no tension to feed your guys. If you ever take a beggar card in solo you have done something horrifically wrong. That's why I recommended Agricola, as a solo experience each time you play it there is going to be a new puzzle for you to figure out. With Caverna you really only need to puzzle it out once (or read the optimum strategy online) and then the solo experience is gone.

For more than one player Caverna can come out as the better game in some crowds I agree. With Caverna you are more free to do your own thing where as Agricola requires you to have a specific build order in mind.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, 'gric's a better solo game by far.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
does the iOS port support solo (ie, non-AI) play? I don't have my ipad with me so i can't check but suddenly i'm curious.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

andrew smash posted:

does the iOS port support solo (ie, non-AI) play? I don't have my ipad with me so i can't check but suddenly i'm curious.
Yes it does, it even has a 'sorta' campaign where you can store certain cards and you are aiming to get more points than your last attempt.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Schizoguy posted:

No, the one (and only) time I've played Action Castle was a few months ago, and the Narrator was over-enunciating those words. I guess it's just a subliminal requirement for that game.

Action Castle seemed very easy, but then again, we'd all grown up playing text adventures. I don't know how well it would work with a less experienced group.
Action Castle was the first Parsely adventure, and it's pretty easy, even for players with no text adventure game experience.

The later modules are more complex and difficult. My favorite is Six Gun Showdown, and Pumpkintown is pretty good too (and very timely if you run it this week!).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Yes it does, it even has a 'sorta' campaign where you can store certain cards and you are aiming to get more points than your last attempt.

This is how you are supposed to play the physical game solo as well. You carry over one profession and an extra food for every point you score over the goal to the next game. The goal being to score 67 points on your final round when you have 7 "permanent" professions out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

Some of us get or got paid to panic. I'm not paying to panic, so put me firmly in the Caverna camp :).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I haven't played board games in any serious fashion in probably about a year - I've been moving, got married, new job, etc.

Now I have free time to play board games with people, and ordered a game to introduce to my wife and friends.

It's Mage Knight.

The gently caress was I thinking

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

COOL CORN posted:

The gently caress was I thinking

sink or swim bitches

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

andrew smash posted:

sink or swim bitches

Basically. :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Sink or swim bitches" sounds like a really crude name for a game about arctic dogsled racing.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I hope your wife and friends are already gamers of some stripe, or enjoy brain-burning type experiences.

Otherwise, you done hosed up, son. Enjoy the solo game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Even if they are gamers, enjoy the solo game a few times before trying to introduce them.

Mage Knight is difficult to teach even when you know the rules inside and out, the usual rule of "know the game well before you teach it, idiot" applies doubly so.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah - I've played Mage Knight before but definitely want to know all the rules inside out first.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Good god, Camel Up might be the best betting game I've ever played. Also possibly the most adorable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah - I've played Mage Knight before but definitely want to know all the rules inside out first.

I don't think you should have any trouble teaching Mage Knight to gamer types. Its pretty simple to figure out. Of course no one will be any good at it but they should be able to grasp it and play easily enough. It's not that hard to remember the concept of a Move card or an Attack card.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, my copy of Mage Knight is completely hosed up - the tiles are all wrong. I have:

Missing: 1 Golem (grey)
1 Monks (mage tower)
Ice Dragon
Orcs:
2 prowlers
2 diggers
2 cursed hags
1 Ironclad

Extra: 1 Crossbowmen (grey)
3 Gargoyle (dungeon)
2 Crypt Worm (dungeon)
1 Ice mage, 1 Illusionist (mage tower)
1 Freezer (white)
High Dragon

So, pretty much every single pile of tiles is wrong in some way, and I'm missing 7/12 of the most common enemy. Is this normal? And is Wizkids any good at getting replacements back?

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Mine arrived without any problems / missing pieces. That's more than a little screwed up, if every single thing is wrong they'll pretty much have to help.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Stumiester posted:

So, pretty much every single pile of tiles is wrong in some way, and I'm missing 7/12 of the most common enemy. Is this normal? And is Wizkids any good at getting replacements back?

In my experience, no. They're a bit pernickety about demonstrating the error and that you could't possibly have anything to do with it. I ended up missing the last command/level token for Tovak, but it took me a few play-throughs to notice this, so the I managed to go past the last due date for replacement requests nor could I produce the store receipts that showed the date and place of purchase.

Granted, it's a pretty minor piece to not have, which is part of why it wasn't obvious until the fifth time I managed to get it onto the table, but still… Compare this to FFG's response when a few technology cards for Twilight Imperium had been mixed up — they sent me an entire tray of every card in the game, no questions asked.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

When all else fails, make a stink of it on the Internet. BGG is a pretty good place where you'll get a lot of public sympathy.

That's pretty lovely of WK to be dicks about replacement parts, though. I think that's the first time I've ever heard of lovely support, since it seems that BG publishers are pretty good about customer service.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I didn't get on of the Tovak level tokens either, but I'm a huge nerd and checked through all the components before playing, so I noticed right away. I went and registered at http://wizkidsreplacementsystem.com/ and did the things, but nothing happened for a week, and it just said "pending" or something. I sent them an email, which they didn't respond to. And the one day after a couple of weeks I got a little bubblewrap envelope containing exactly one level token as specified, nothing else, not even a note. But I got my token!

i did send them proof of purchase, from a Danish webstore with Danish reciepts too, so I guess they're actually somewhat chill about that.

Basically, try that and be patient.

As a side note, I was really disappointed in the way the components, mostly the tokens, were basically just thrown into the tray. It felt cheap and unprofessional.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Converse experience: I bought Euphoria at Essen and found it was missing ten resource markers and all the white dice. I emailed Stonemaier Games, got an email back same day saying they'd sent them and the bits arrived yesterday - from Spain. I'm feeling a lot more confident about receiving Tuscany and Viticulture now.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

Converse experience: I bought Euphoria at Essen and found it was missing ten resource markers and all the white dice. I emailed Stonemaier Games, got an email back same day saying they'd sent them and the bits arrived yesterday - from Spain. I'm feeling a lot more confident about receiving Tuscany and Viticulture now.

Stonemaier is a cut above, in general. They've run some exemplary KS campaigns and seem to be excellent communicators.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of so-so support I've still haven't heard back from Funforge on the dice issue with Quantum, been a week now so I'm probably going to shoot them another email using the email-adress I found rather than their online form-thingy I used last time. I'm not in a super rush but it would be nice to hear something from them, just to confirm that they've gotten/read my email.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Well, I've sent off an email to them and filled out a request for two "packages" of 5 tokens each. Luckily, I was missing exactly 10, but that's the maximum you're allowed to request. No idea what would have happened had they left a few more out... No response as yet, hopefully they'll be reasonably quick.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Speaking of so-so support I've still haven't heard back from Funforge on the dice issue with Quantum, been a week now so I'm probably going to shoot them another email using the email-adress I found rather than their online form-thingy I used last time. I'm not in a super rush but it would be nice to hear something from them, just to confirm that they've gotten/read my email.

They were slow to report back to me at first, but I get about an email a month from them now on updates.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Rivensteel posted:

Stonemaier is a cut above, in general. They've run some exemplary KS campaigns and seem to be excellent communicators.

Jamie is legitimately that rare combination of a nice dude who loves to play games and share and explore that love with other people, and an intelligent and scrupulous businessman. Really just a fun dude to plays games with.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Triple-Kan posted:

Jamie is legitimately that rare combination of a nice dude who loves to play games and share and explore that love with other people, and an intelligent and scrupulous businessman. Really just a fun dude to plays games with.

I've never met him in person but all of my interactions with him through email and Twitter have been delightful. He really seems to truly love what he does, which is why I'm comfortable buying any new Stonemaier game that appears on Kickstarter with zero hesitation.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Just noticed this kickstarter, Steampunk Rally. I guess its kinda like Galaxy Trucker with card drafting and dice placement? Doesn't look bad at the first glance, if a bit pricey.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Apparently the anniversary copy of Dungeon Lords is getting shipped out to me soon :woop:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Apparently the anniversary copy of Dungeon Lords is getting shipped out to me soon :woop:

I just got my notice too, aaaaaa

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I almost regret not backing this. But for a game that I only get to break out a few times a year, plus now VlaadaCon, it felt too much.

Crap probably shoulda gotten it solely because of VlaadaCon.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

My wife is not going to be impressed when this turns up on our doorstep, but that's ok. Couldn't pass it up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bubble-T posted:

My wife is not going to be impressed when this turns up on our doorstep, but that's ok. Couldn't pass it up.
Did you buy the whole game? I just got the new stuff + box. Somehow saying 'Well I got a new game!' is easier than saying 'Well I got stuff to bling out a game I already have!'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I spent almost $200 on the game in the fancy wooden box :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Did you buy the whole game? I just got the new stuff + box. Somehow saying 'Well I got a new game!' is easier than saying 'Well I got stuff to bling out a game I already have!'

I did buy the whole game, but the context is going to make it a hard sell - our most common group of us + our best friend couple don't really play heavy euros yet, I just started trying to teach her Le Havre (having bought it from a friend who was strapped for cash), and I have two other kickstarter games that will be coming soon. They were supposed to be spaced out at least a few weeks apart but delays mean they're basically all going to land on our doorstep at the same time which won't look very good!

I didn't go for the wooden box at least.

edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, one of the coming games is the Paperback reprint and if at all possible I'm going to chuck that in her Christmas gifts..

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread