Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also the main Lost Fleet books have one of the worst, though admittedly not Honor Harrington bad, Marty Stus out there. The secondary series about the breakaway Midway system, on the other hand, have less perfect and therefore much more interesting protagonists and are better reads for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Vanilla posted:

Just FYI The last book in the Lost Fleet saga that focuses on the Midway systems, which rebelled from the Sydics, came out a few weeks ago. The Lost Stars: Imperfect Sword

Also FYI, battle cruisers are smaller, faster battleships. They lack the firepower or armor of a real battleship but were much preferred by officers because they can charge fast into battle and be at the front.

What about "Black Jack" Geary? Is he a soon-to-be dictator, or a thoughtful, considerate officer who respects the rule of law and civilian governance? I'm not sure which one it is this sentence.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Velius posted:

What about "Black Jack" Geary? Is he a soon-to-be dictator, or a thoughtful, considerate officer who respects the rule of law and civilian governance? I'm not sure which one it is this sentence.

He's an annoying Marty Stu who would make the whole series better through his death. :colbert:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jng2058 posted:

He's an annoying Marty Stu who would make the whole series better through his death. :colbert:

Mercifully offscreen this series though.

G. Quietly
Oct 23, 2010

Look out for Sirius!
From what I remember of the Lost Fleet books the love triangle subplot managed to be worse than the repeated necessary explanations of what a battle cruiser is and people thinking "Black Jack" was going to take over the universe combined.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

G. Quietly posted:

From what I remember of the Lost Fleet books the love triangle subplot managed to be worse than the repeated necessary explanations of what a battle cruiser is and people thinking "Black Jack" was going to take over the universe combined.

I read them earlier this year.

You remember correctly.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Upcoming Alastair Reynolds book, Slow Bullets. Standalone, I think?

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/10/coming-soon-slow-bullets-by-alastair-reynolds/

Cannot wait :woop:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Upcoming Alastair Reynolds book, Slow Bullets. Standalone, I think?

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/10/coming-soon-slow-bullets-by-alastair-reynolds/

Cannot wait :woop:

Sounds interesting; pretty short too at only 192 pages.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I felt like the lost fleet books were good bad books. They had some obvious flaws but they're enjoyable popcorn and they don't contain anything I found deeply objectionable (i.e., no villains named "Rob S. Pierre", no extended rape scenes). Their worst flaw is probably how repetitive the descriptions get but you can just skip those parts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I felt like the lost fleet books were good bad books. They had some obvious flaws but they're enjoyable popcorn and they don't contain anything I found deeply objectionable (i.e., no villains named "Rob S. Pierre", no extended rape scenes). Their worst flaw is probably how repetitive the descriptions get but you can just skip those parts.

Oh, I agree. As much as I rag on old Blackjack, there are some good battle scenes and some of the secondary characters are kinda interesting. I read 'em in a day or two, enjoy 'em at the time, then forget about 'em until I happen upon the next one at the library.

To put it another way, I just borrowed "Steadfast" from my local library, but I haven't read a word of Weber since "At All Costs" back in '05.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BadOptics posted:

Sounds interesting; pretty short too at only 192 pages.

I'm doubting that page count, unless the text is printed really large. Reynolds himself said it's about 40,000 words long.

Anyway it's a novella, not published by his usual publisher but by a small press publisher.

Also I posted about it in the sci-fi/fantasy thread like 2 months ago :P

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The Lost Fleet series is a thinly veiled series of plots designed as an excuse to write fairly interesting space tactics/battles.

As most others have said, they're enjoyable 'popcorn' books. I don't think I've ever actually heard someone who DIDN'T like them (although everyone enjoys picking apart their weaknesses).

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

syphon posted:

The Lost Fleet series is a thinly veiled series of plots designed as an excuse to write fairly interesting space tactics/battles.

As most others have said, they're enjoyable 'popcorn' books. I don't think I've ever actually heard someone who DIDN'T like them (although everyone enjoys picking apart their weaknesses).

The trouble is they all had two battles, one at the start, one at the end, and three hundred pages of repetitive and boring relationship drama/tension with the battlecruiser captains (battlecruisers are faster than battleships, while lacking the armor and full broadsides; hence the captains posted to them tended to be the ones motived by glory seeking) filler. Repeat through five novels.

At least Weber can write crazy popcorn military Sci fi that completely ignores character (non) development for constantly fighting (see: On Death Ground). The Lost Fleet just mangled the ratio in light of how ungodly boring and repetitive the filler is.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Just finished 'The Causal Angel' by Hannu Rajaniemi and I really want more of the same, any ideas?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

by.a.teammate posted:

Just finished 'The Causal Angel' by Hannu Rajaniemi and I really want more of the same, any ideas?

I'm gonna 'obvious guy' here. Did you read the first two books in the series?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

XBenedict posted:

I'm gonna 'obvious guy' here. Did you read the first two books in the series?

He he yeah I did, worth checking though. Loved the whole series, felt so fresh. If anyone would keep on doing Culture books now we've lost Banks I think it could be him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
If I've read all of The Culture and The Expanse and enjoyed both of them, is there a recommendation for the next series to jump onto? The Expanse's relatively realistic science but kind of light hearted characters was really nice imo and I even liked the third book which most people didn't seem to like. The fourth book was great though, I wanted to rage against the pointless loving tribalism that Murtry and the chief engineer were getting up to, but it was such a human conflict I could see it happening IRL.

I'm working my way through this thread taking notes of series names and stuff but anyone with a similar taste what would you rec?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

If I've read all of The Culture and The Expanse and enjoyed both of them, is there a recommendation for the next series to jump onto? The Expanse's relatively realistic science but kind of light hearted characters was really nice imo and I even liked the third book which most people didn't seem to like. The fourth book was great though, I wanted to rage against the pointless loving tribalism that Murtry and the chief engineer were getting up to, but it was such a human conflict I could see it happening IRL.

I'm working my way through this thread taking notes of series names and stuff but anyone with a similar taste what would you rec?

Hamilton's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Saga is pretty fun. He also has a very good standalone book that is even better in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Road_(book)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

syphon posted:

Interesting to the average 6th grader who knows nothing about history or tactics..? I mean every novel is literally solved by "oh here comes man-from-the-past with another shocking idea such as flanking the enemy."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 11, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Interesting to the average 6th grader who knows nothing about history or tactics..? I mean every novel is literally solved by "oh here comes man-from-the-past with another shocking idea such as flanking the enemy."

You know, I'm in the middle of the newest The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier book, Steadfast, and I'm finding it a real slog. In part it's because of the very low space battle (the only good parts) to everything else ratio. But reading this one has shown me what exactly it is that bugs me about this series. It's not just that Blackjack Geary is a Marty Stu. He is, and it's annoying as all hell. But that's not actually the biggest problem.

The problem is that literally everyone else in the whole book series is a loving moron.

Everyone. The Alliance? Overeager morons whose only tactic is "Get 'em!" The Syndicate Worlds? Cartoonishly evil corporate morons who only have just enough tactical sense to beat up the Alliance morons. Terrans? Bureaucratic morons who somehow survive in a world where even simple decisions require literally years of paperwork. And so on, and so forth. Literally the only characters who show even half a brain are the ones who are "smart" enough to recognize the brilliance of Space Jesus Geary. :rolleyes:

I think I'm done with this series. The longer its gone on, the harder its been to force myself through the poo poo to get to the occasionally interesting space battles. I think I've waded through the brown stuff long enough. Bye, Blackjack. I still hope they kill you!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The Culture and The Expanse are kinda different types of scifi.
Hamilton, that was recommended here is closer to the Expanse, where the Reality Dysfunction series and the Commonwealth are good, although Hamilton loves his Deus Ex Machina endings.
For something similar to The Culture, there is Neal Ashers work with the Spatterjay and The Polity series, with a similar universe as the Culture with ruling AIs. Ashers work is more fast-paced, more cynical and contains great aliens ecosystems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cardiac posted:

Hamilton, that was recommended here is closer to the Expanse, where the Reality Dysfunction series and the Commonwealth are good, although Hamilton loves his Deus Ex Machina endings.

Hamilton also loves cliffhangers. I love his stuff, it's great space opera, but I won't start a series until he's finished it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How to kill any interest you might have in Ryk Spoor's Grand Central Arena series with one click of a mouse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jng2058 posted:

You know, I'm in the middle of the newest The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier book, Steadfast, and I'm finding it a real slog. In part it's because of the very low space battle (the only good parts) to everything else ratio. But reading this one has shown me what exactly it is that bugs me about this series. It's not just that Blackjack Geary is a Marty Stu. He is, and it's annoying as all hell. But that's not actually the biggest problem.

The problem is that literally everyone else in the whole book series is a loving moron.

Everyone. The Alliance? Overeager morons whose only tactic is "Get 'em!" The Syndicate Worlds? Cartoonishly evil corporate morons who only have just enough tactical sense to beat up the Alliance morons. Terrans? Bureaucratic morons who somehow survive in a world where even simple decisions require literally years of paperwork. And so on, and so forth. Literally the only characters who show even half a brain are the ones who are "smart" enough to recognize the brilliance of Space Jesus Geary. :rolleyes:

I think I'm done with this series. The longer its gone on, the harder its been to force myself through the poo poo to get to the occasionally interesting space battles. I think I've waded through the brown stuff long enough. Bye, Blackjack. I still hope they kill you!
Yeah I noticed that right away, in the first book it is essentially based around the premise of everyone lining up in space like the british redcoats, standing and delivering volley after volley while hoping that the cavalry (cruisers) could shock the enemy line enough to send them into disarray. ANd then Geary comes in and he's like "hey space is three dimensional!" and everybody's :psypop: and then forgets about it until the next book, where he goes "hey why don't we lure them into an ambush!?" and everybody's all :psypop:.

I got through like 4 before it was just too much of an obnoxious slog which repeats the exact same character conflicts over and over.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ha ha ha ha oh god. I scanned through the first few chapters and closed the tab when I saw that he'd tuckerized Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy. Baen Books, ladies and gentlemen!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The majority of Baen imprints would be of better use shredded and used as home insulation.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
If I go through this thread from start to finish it reads like a concerted effort to poo poo all over my reading choices over time.

I feel like a bad person for liking all these books now :(

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I liked Spoor's stuff :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

kznlol posted:

If I go through this thread from start to finish it reads like a concerted effort to poo poo all over my reading choices over time.

Nah, never feel bad about things you enjoy. Your tolerance for certain flaws in writing is different from mine, which is in turn different from my brother's and so on and so forth. Some things bug you more than they do me and vice versa. If you enjoyed something that's a good thing. That I, or someone else didn't doesn't make us right or you wrong.

That said, you should keep looking for new things to enjoy. Finding things similar to what you enjoy that are even better? That's a great feeling. And that's what this thread ultimately should be for. To point your way to the really good stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

rafikki posted:

It has its pros, but the dude waves his nerdboner around so hard and often that he really should have been charged for indecent exposure by now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

rafikki posted:

How many poo poo jokes are there about this guy's body of work, with a last name like that?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

PupsOfWar posted:

speaking of Path of the Fury/In Fury Born, I came across a web-original story the other day that is more or less a better version of the same narrative. On the Spacebattles.com forums, of all godforsaken places.

Premise: multistellar human civilization is attacked by a large, technologically-superior confederation of alien races, who are a very transparent knockoff of the Covenant from Halo (I suspect this whole thing might have started out as a halo fanfic at some point). Late in the war, the humans' state-of-the-art flagship manages to outduel and destroy one of the aliens' supposedly-invincible capital ships (though it is crippled and suffers total crew loss in the doing), which prompts the aliens to Get Serious about the war. The ship's AI takes command, but, by the time it makes it back to Sol space, Earth has been glassed and humanity is practically wiped out. The AI snaps and heads off into the void, where it spends thousands of years preying on the alien confederacy until it becomes a sort of interstellar boogeyman. Story picks up when some far-future human sepoys stumble into the rogue ship's path.

Was doing a semi-annual checkup on the thread trolling for good reads. This was a really good read.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
I remember reading a story by him, published some time in 2004, which referenced All Your Base. (And I'll claim that AYB is still funny, but...dude...no...)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Libluini posted:

poo poo, now I have to re-read my Void books, I remember practically nothing from the end of the trilogy.

I actually just finished "The Abyss Beyond Dreams" and really enjoyed it. You definitely are better off having just recently re-read the Void trilogy, to say the least. I felt like it flowed a lot more smoothly than some of the other Hamilton books by virtue of a smaller cast of characters to throw out and keep track of, but at the same time it's also a universe where I've read the previous books and have retained a lot of the world-building details, so maybe it's just me. I did feel that (direct plot spoilers) Nigel in the void itself was a bit Mary-Sue-ish and kind of obnoxiously smug all the times we see him. I really liked the reveal of the mountain of exopods in the Desert of Bones, though, and the body horror/general freakiness of getting "eggsumed" was pretty neat, at least for a while. I'd say I expect to be picking up the next book when it's out, for sure.

It's actually led me to loop back around again - in part because I've momentarily run out of new books to read anyway - and reread the original Commonwealth saga.

mcustic posted:

Hamilton's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Saga is pretty fun. He also has a very good standalone book that is even better in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Road_(book)

I liked Great North Road but I honestly found it less fascinating than the first book of the Commonwealth Saga for sheer captivation. Not sure how specific I should or shouldn't be about plot elements outside of spoilers as I don't post in this subforum regularly, but I'm not as big on the police procedural elements of the novel and the (more specific) ending/epilogue kind of left me a little meh because we jumped from 'contact with a superintelligent advanced alien species' to 'yeah I guess we're masters of the whole universe now yeah I guess it's cool c'mon now kids we gotta go.' I felt like there could have been more room in the universe to deal with how those final gaps were bridged.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hamilton wrapping it up in one book was worth the weak ending, I think. He has cool ideas, but his trilogies are too long for me.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

mcustic posted:

Hamilton wrapping it up in one book was worth the weak ending, I think. He has cool ideas, but his trilogies are too long for me.

It definitely avoided a cliffhanger, but it was pretty clear that there's still more plot to come. I'm kind of bummed that Slvasta (?) basically turned into an old-school paranoid communist dictator, apparently, but I'm wondering if it'll turn out that this planet in its new position is where Nigel actually was (or was going) during the events of the Void trilogy.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

I actually just finished "The Abyss Beyond Dreams" and really enjoyed it. You definitely are better off having just recently re-read the Void trilogy, to say the least. I felt like it flowed a lot more smoothly than some of the other Hamilton books by virtue of a smaller cast of characters to throw out and keep track of, but at the same time it's also a universe where I've read the previous books and have retained a lot of the world-building details, so maybe it's just me. I did feel that (direct plot spoilers) Nigel in the void itself was a bit Mary-Sue-ish and kind of obnoxiously smug all the times we see him. I really liked the reveal of the mountain of exopods in the Desert of Bones, though, and the body horror/general freakiness of getting "eggsumed" was pretty neat, at least for a while. I'd say I expect to be picking up the next book when it's out, for sure.

I suppose it makes since that he is a bit mary-sue-ish anyway since he basically has every cheat code for living in the void since he had access to the 4 or 5 lifetimes that Edeard lived not to mention was fully prepared for any fuckery the void would do with technology. The one thing I did like was how questionable the methods Nigel used while he was on Bienvenido. I mean he's directly responsible for thousands of deaths, used domination on several people to essentially turn them into his thralls, and straight up murdered a dude for science. When the entire galaxy is at stake I suppose it's all justified, but Nigel is by no means a good person. That said I don't disagree with he did because it had to be done.

I am pumped about psuedo-future 50's/60's technology Bienvenido vs the Fallers though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

kznlol posted:

Nah, that's how I feel, but I like lovely movies, too. Sometimes you've just got to learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the line at the post office today, there was a guy in front of me who looked to be late 40s/early 50s, very overweight, with some kind of Royal Manticore Navy captain's hat on and a Honor Harrington fan club society badge around his neck, playing some space shooter on his Android. I felt kind of bad for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Chairman Capone posted:

In the line at the post office today, there was a guy in front of me who looked to be late 40s/early 50s, very overweight, with some kind of Royal Manticore Navy captain's hat on and a Honor Harrington fan club society badge around his neck, playing some space shooter on his Android. I felt kind of bad for him.

Yeah but he's probably one of the truly happy ones

• Locked thread