Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is the difficulty mod you mentioned there? I'm using Q- something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity - which previous FF's reused assets? The only things I can think of are the tile sets from the early games.

FF2 used a modded FF1 engine with a few reused sprites here and there, FF4 and 5 both heavily crib sprites from FF3, and as you mentioned, some tile sets are used for FF5 from 4. I think FF6 is like the first fully original FF game in terms of assets of the SNES era and from there on out every mainline game is original. Maybe it's because I played a shitload of fighting games which reuse assets like they're going out of style, but reused assets never really bother me. Especially not for something like FFX-2 which is a sequel set in the same places so I feel it's more justified there than some others.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only game that ever really bothered me with its reused assets was tales of xillia 2, mainly because of how the game worked it would heavily reuse assets that were already being reused which got a little much

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Is the difficulty mod you mentioned there? I'm using Q- something.

It hasn't been made to work with 7H yet, no. That's supposed to be happening whenever the next version of 7H comes out.

For right now, you might want to just stick with the mods that come with Bootleg.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the help. 7H looks pretty cool, too.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Don Gato posted:

She can already light people on fire by waving her arms around, attacks with possibly possessed dolls and wears a dress made out of belts and fur in a tropical climate. Nothing about her actually makes sense so conversely her keeping the same model despite being pregnant actually makes sense :goonsay:!

Or, all those things, so if you could get over all that only to be upset that she doesn't have a baby bump, well...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Pregnant women should not be wearing corsets.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
If anyone was ever curious about how Square-Enix/Visual Works makes its CGI trailers, Naoki Yoshida and Hiroshi Takai talked about making the Realm Reborn trailer at Final Fantasy Fan Festival : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18G40KJpnCA

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
In FFX-2 I just filled in the last missing oversoul creature for Shinra's bestiary and received the garment grid The End... but the Monster Master trophy didn't unlock. So, that can only mean they actually expect you to fill in the whole Fiend Tale bestiary from Creature Creator as well. Jesus. :stare: Between collecting oversouls and fiend tales, grinding for bestiary completion has probably taken up 75%-80% of the time I've spent playing FFX-2. That's pretty crazy for a trophy requirement. At least I'm already 92% finished with the fiend tales, and all but one of what's left are New Game Plus-only humanoids.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

maou shoujo posted:

In FFX-2 I just filled in the last missing oversoul creature for Shinra's bestiary and received the garment grid The End... but the Monster Master trophy didn't unlock. So, that can only mean they actually expect you to fill in the whole Fiend Tale bestiary from Creature Creator as well. Jesus. :stare: Between collecting oversouls and fiend tales, grinding for bestiary completion has probably taken up 75%-80% of the time I've spent playing FFX-2. That's pretty crazy for a trophy requirement. At least I'm already 92% finished with the fiend tales, and all but one of what's left are New Game Plus-only humanoids.

It's been a while since I played it but I got the platinum and only did like one fiend tale ever. If you actually got the garment grid I think you might be experiencing a glitch or something

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I never bothered with Gun Mage in X-2 because, gently caress, it's just random luck and chance. I'm going to stand around alll day and let this boss hit me so he can MAYBE use the one technique I want on the one character I want. Bullshit.

Blue Mage is just my "give everyone protect and shell in one turn" class*. That one skill alone was enough to give it enough utility to make it worth using. It also had decent damage against fiends that fit into one of the classes that you could do 4x damage against.

Psychic is a pretty cool class. Isn't it only for the international/HD version? Festivalist is also pretty neat. They both have really high general stats.

*After writing this out I realized that white mage could probably cast them in the same amount of time if you take into account the time to transition from a gun mage to another dress sphere, but whatever!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Help Im Alive posted:

It's been a while since I played it but I got the platinum and only did like one fiend tale ever. If you actually got the garment grid I think you might be experiencing a glitch or something

Maybe it's because I haven't been to the last story boss yet. There aren't any gaps in the bestiary list though. I haven't defeated Major Numerus yet either, but that boss requires a lot of specific fiend tales to unlock anyways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there like an FF7 translation that actually tries to be a decent translation instead of sperging out over stupid poo poo or being borderline incomprehensible like the original?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there like an FF7 translation that actually tries to be a decent translation instead of sperging out over stupid poo poo or being borderline incomprehensible like the original?
There isn't even an actual complete translation that spergs out over stupid poo poo. FF7 is a huge-rear end game, and fan translations take a lot of work. There isn't a single complete fan translation of it, regardless of quality.

The fact that it's already in English doesnt' help either. There's no motivation. FF7's translation is bad, but you can still figure out what's going on for the most part, it isn't Wild Arms 2 or anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

It's cool we got a new well done translation by someone who is even bringing to our attention the one character that was left out of the original translation, Iscar Matthias.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really don't understand why this forum has such a problem with FFVII's original translation. If it was half as incomprehensible as people say, I probably wouldn't have perfectly understood the plot and characters, but I kinda do. Cloud was a dork growing up who wanted to impress Tifa so he tried to become a super-badass but his mind wasn't up to the task so he got as a mook. Then he got expeimented on for five years, his brain got destroyed, and the magic alien cells in him glued the shattered fragments of his psyche together and made him think he was a badass.

And Sephiroth is the son of a couple crazy scientists who was exposed to magic alien cells while in the womb and later he lost his mind because he found out about some of this.

And Barret used to be a coal miner who put all his faith in Shinra only to have their stupid reactors destroy his town, drive his best friend insane, and then he swore revenge on them under the guise of protecting the Planet.

And I could go on.

These are all perfectly spelled out in the original translation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it just aren't sick, imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

it just aren't sick, imo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I really don't understand why this forum has such a problem with FFVII's original translation. If it was half as incomprehensible as people say, I probably wouldn't have perfectly understood the plot and characters, but I kinda do. Cloud was a dork growing up who wanted to impress Tifa so he tried to become a super-badass but his mind wasn't up to the task so he got as a mook. Then he got expeimented on for five years, his brain got destroyed, and the magic alien cells in him glued the shattered fragments of his psyche together and made him think he was a badass.

And Sephiroth is the son of a couple crazy scientists who was exposed to magic alien cells while in the womb and later he lost his mind because he found out about some of this.

And Barret used to be a coal miner who put all his faith in Shinra only to have their stupid reactors destroy his town, drive his best friend insane, and then he swore revenge on them under the guise of protecting the Planet.

And I could go on.

Just because it's vaguely understandable doesn't make it good. Especially in FFVII, the worst game in the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

And I could go on.

There's a reason that 'serviceable' and 'good' do not mean the same thing.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

NikkolasKing posted:

And I could go on.

Yeah, I couldn't call FFVII's translation truly awful because of how much information it gets through. I have an easier time understanding the story of FFVII with its "bad" translation than FFX's story with its "good" translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF7's translation is bad. Stilted, awkward, a lot of the characters lack a real 'voice', grammatical errors and translation errors.

You can understand it, and play the game, and there are even a few moments where it's good ("This train we're on ain't got no brakes!") but there's still tons of room for improvement.

If the standards for good translations are 'well I understood what was happening' then there are only two bad translations in the history of video games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Endorph posted:

FF7's translation is bad. Stilted, awkward, a lot of the characters lack a real 'voice', grammatical errors and translation errors.

You can understand it, and play the game, and there are even a few moments where it's good ("This train we're on ain't got no brakes!") but there's still tons of room for improvement.

Who cares, they say poo poo and drat. when I was a kid I loved Barrett because he had such a foul mouth and growing up I was never allowed to say those things. Even if I read it aloud, I would replace it with "darn" or something. Then Cid came along and :aaa:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who cares, they say poo poo and drat. when I was a kid

Yes children are dumb and will eat poo poo. This is known. It doesn't make a bad translation good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes children are dumb and will eat poo poo. This is known. It doesn't make a bad translation good.

I seriously doubt a different translation would affect my opinion of the games story even slightly. It's like the nitpickiest of nitpicks. It implies that if the localization team added in a few more american in-jokes, the plot would seem different somehow. Like filet mignon for your eyes I guess? "Phew, they fixed the 43 grammatical errors on disc 1, finally I can play this the way it was meant to be played!!!!!"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 29, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I seriously doubt a different translation would affect my opinion of the games story even slightly. It's like the nitpickiest of nitpicks. It implies that if the localization team added in a few more american in-jokes, the plot would seem different somehow. Like filet mignon for your eyes I guess?

I think people were mostly just hoping for a translation that sounded like actual people talking and got rid of the grammatical errors--not dramatic shifts in plot elements. You wouldn't think fixing lines like "This guy are sick" or "OFF COURSE!" would be cause for argument, but then this is the thread that couldn't get over asset reuse in FFX-2, so :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

If the standards for good translations are 'well I understood what was happening' then there are only two bad translations in the history of video games.

All I was responding to was the claim that the translation was incomprehensible, which is an exaggeration a lot of people on here make. It's by no means the best localization job ever or anything but I would indeed classify it as "serviceable."

Also everyone loves "let's mosey!" as Cloud's battle cry.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time Cid was on screen it was a joy. No problems with that guy's translation at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I seriously doubt a different translation would affect my opinion of the games story even slightly. It's like the nitpickiest of nitpicks. It implies that if the localization team added in a few more american in-jokes, the plot would seem different somehow. Like filet mignon for your eyes I guess? "Phew, they fixed the 43 grammatical errors on disc 1, finally I can play this the way it was meant to be played!!!!!"

there there its okay the bad men pointing out an actual fact is in no way a personal slight against you for liking it so theres no need to get so overly defensive and rely on strawmen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Every time Cid was on screen it was a joy. No problems with that guy's translation at least.
Yeah I completely agree that Cid and Barret are two of the huge brightspots of the translation, for the most part.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dragonatrix posted:

there there its okay the bad men pointing out an actual fact is in no way a personal slight against you for liking it so theres no need to get so overly defensive and rely on strawmen

b-but... the strawmen are all i have.... :qq:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i yearn for bad translations, as that is the only way to get amusement from an FF story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

All I was responding to was the claim that the translation was incomprehensible, which is an exaggeration a lot of people on here make. It's by no means the best localization job ever or anything but I would indeed classify it as "serviceable."

Also everyone loves "let's mosey!" as Cloud's battle cry.

No, it is legitimately incomprehensible or actually legitimately erroneous. You can understand the broad plot points but that is about it and even then it gets some of them wrong. You can pick up the broad strokes of the story but you can pick up the broad strokes of the story in Wild Arms 2 and I don't think you'd defend that. (FFVII is nowhere as bad as WA2, mind.)

It isn't serviceable, not by any reasonable standards that a translation would be held to. It was not even a good translation for the era it comes from. It is full of grammar errors, incorrectly translates basic phrases, reverses word order, can't keep consistent names for various important plot points, is loose in places that distort the meaning of words, and tons of other things. On top of that, it isn't even a good localization or writing for the mistakes it makes. It's just an overall poor translation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

No, it is legitimately incomprehensible or actually legitimately erroneous. You can understand the broad plot points but that is about it and even then it gets some of them wrong. You can pick up the broad strokes of the story but you can pick up the broad strokes of the story in Wild Arms 2 and I don't think you'd defend that. (FFVII is nowhere as bad as WA2, mind.)

It isn't serviceable, not by any reasonable standards that a translation would be held to. It was not even a good translation for the era it comes from.

It probably didn't help that you were an idiot child trying to understand the plot twists. With a new translation mod you can give them a shot as an idiot adult! The result will be the same though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ragequit posted:

It probably didn't help that you were an idiot child trying to understand the plot twists. With a new translation mod you can give them a shot as an idiot adult! The result will be the same though.

Please keep on being defensive about the translation of a game that misspelled the name of one of its main characters. :allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't serviceable, not by any reasonable standards that a translation would be held to. It was not even a good translation for the era it comes from. It is full of grammar errors, incorrectly translates basic phrases, reverses word order, can't keep consistent names for various important plot points, is loose in places that distort the meaning of words, and tons of other things. On top of that, it isn't even a good localization or writing for the mistakes it makes. It's just an overall poor translation.

Could you give me some examples of "can't keep consistent names for various important plot points." Pretty sure it was always balled Black Materia, White Materia, Huge Materia, Cetra, Ancients, Calamity from the Skies...

I could give you the entire history of FFVII's plot and world from just the game itself. How is that "the broad strokes?" How is that incomprehensible? I could just copy/paste Ifalna's stuff from Icicle and that right there perfectly details Jenova, Jenova's abilities, Jenova's arrival, the Cetra, the history of the Planet...

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 29, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I remember being like 13 and playing FF7 and when Barrett and Cid were like "D***" & "S***" I was like "Efff yeah." Then I got older and I was like "You know that's pretty funny, but someone should really have payed more attention to what they were writing."

Welp, that's my FF7 translation story.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

morallyobjected posted:

Please keep on being defensive about the translation of a game that misspelled the name of one of its main characters. :allears:

I said the result would be the same, as in still terrible. I can see now why you had problems with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, I remember being like 13 and playing FF7 and when Barrett and Cid were like "D***" & "S***" I was like "Efff yeah." Then I got older and I was like "You know that's pretty funny, but someone should really have payed more attention to what they were writing."

Welp, that's my FF7 translation story.
this is basically what i was trying to say but with less words, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't mean to step all over your toes, Endorph-Senpai.