Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Solkanar512 posted:

You don't get the idea that a bunch of gun owners who cannot keep their poo poo locked up properly should have to have the means to pay damages to victims of their own gently caress ups? The idea that "the reason gun violence is bad isn't financial" is a loving joke, are you telling me that funerals are free, and lifetime care and lost wages account for nothing? It doesn't have to be the number one top worst thing that is bad about a situation, and frankly it's the worst thing that can easily be compensated for. People can't be replaced when someone is too stupid to lock up their precious toys.

Last time I checked, I can be responsible for arbitrarily high damages in a car trivially, and my insurance will pay out for the victims. Ever heard of reckless driving? DUI? :rice: kills, you know.

Not arguing against a requirement to secure firearms, but are you financially liable if someone stole your car and killed somebody with it? Otherwise the analogy to auto insurance doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cascadia is the weirdest thing to me. Hmm, we make all our money selling poo poo to the rest of America via being part of the American system. Let's leave that, it will all be totally fine. Like, what is the appeal there.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

You don't get the idea that a bunch of gun owners who cannot keep their poo poo locked up properly should have to have the means to pay damages to victims of their own gently caress ups?
Ideally, everyone would always have the means to pay damages to victims of their own gently caress ups, absolutely. What isn't obvious to me is why guns is a special category here. People gently caress up in lots of ways using a wide variety of things, and we don't generally do anything to make sure they can pay for it. Like I said earlier, cars are a special category, because being able to quickly replace your car is important to most people. But no amount of money will quickly fix any problem created by gun violence (it could fix lost wages, but if lost wages are a major concern life insurance is a better fix to this problem).

quote:

The idea that "the reason gun violence is bad isn't financial" is a loving joke, are you telling me that funerals are free, and lifetime care and lost wages account for nothing?
I don't think the affordability of funerals is a major societal concern, and if it is, it should be subsidized directly. As noted above, lost wages is what life insurance is for.

quote:

Last time I checked, I can be responsible for arbitrarily high damages in a car trivially, and my insurance will pay out for the victims. Ever heard of reckless driving? DUI? :rice: kills, you know.
I don't actually have car insurance, in Washington state, the legally required liability will only pay up to $50k and that's only if multiple people were injured. What I said was probably stated too strongly, there is certainly better insurance plans than the legal minimum, though I still think car insurance typically only covers accidents, which you haven't seem to dispute. Car accidents are also different than gun violence in that when cars damage things, they are often damaged in the process, which puts a ceiling on damage that guns don't have.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Best Friends posted:

Cascadia is the weirdest thing to me. Hmm, we make all our money selling poo poo to the rest of America via being part of the American system. Let's leave that, it will all be totally fine. Like, what is the appeal there.

You could still trade with America, just like America trades with Canada and Mexico. (I agree though the idea of the PNW seceding is crazyballs)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What are they going to do, move Microsoft to Alabama?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it would let us stop honoring California driver's licenses here I could get behind it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Best Friends posted:

I don't think people take Cascadia seriously, it's just a fun idea to float. The appeal is just in, like, cultural solidarity or something. "Hey B.C. and Oregon, we like you guys, we should really be our own country" "hey yeah haha sounds cool, we'd be the best country." There aren't any practical advantages to it, but nobody's actually going to take steps towards succession.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SyHopeful posted:

Not arguing against a requirement to secure firearms, but are you financially liable if someone stole your car and killed somebody with it? Otherwise the analogy to auto insurance doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure if my hypothetical kid steals my car and maims or kills someone with it I'm on the hook for damages.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't think people take Cascadia seriously, it's just a fun idea to float. The appeal is just in, like, cultural solidarity or something. "Hey B.C. and Oregon, we like you guys, we should really be our own country" "hey yeah haha sounds cool, we'd be the best country." There aren't any practical advantages to it, but nobody's actually going to take steps towards succession.

What if everyone just keeps taking the joke more and more seriously. Right up until we're on the front lines defending southern Oregon from a literal California invasion.

Someone in the trenches will jump up and ask, "Wait! Wasn't this all a joke??"

"Shut up and grab your gun, private!", a seargent barks back at them. "The Paul Allen 1st fighter squadron is about to launch the offensive!"

(if you haven't visited Allen's flying heritage museum it's worth a look on some rainy weekend. dude has a freaking Mig-29 that can do mach 2!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow1KEZz0kck

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah if anything it is really much more about regional identity than you know...an actual separatist movement, I could see some people getting carried away with it but it is never much farther than some Doug Flags. At least in Portland now also see a lot more Portland flags than Oregon state flags as well.

Timber's games are usually a sea of Portland/Doug flags.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Best Friends posted:

It's mainly liberal/progressive frustration out of the many ways our federal system stymies things like that. I can dig it. However, being a transplant from the South, it's also carried a bit of unintentional racism as these mainly white areas would free themselves from those terrible Southern states with large black populations.

But such is the subtle racism of the Northwest. Still like it here better than I did in the South.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SyHopeful posted:

You're financially liable if they can prove that your negligence contributed to the death. Generally you don't with cars since they're typically locked up and not considered particularly dangerous. But imagine if some idiot left the keys in the ignition of an unlocked bulldozer and someone decided to take it on a joyride through three houses - I'd say that the construction company's negligent actions had a role to play there. To my mind, if a gun owner isn't maintaining basic accountability for their weapons, particularly in houses with minors, then they're being negligent and the law should reflect their contribution to the consequences.

foobardog posted:

It's mainly liberal/progressive frustration out of the many ways our federal system stymies things like that. I can dig it. However, being a transplant from the South, it's also carried a bit of unintentional racism as these mainly white areas would free themselves from those terrible Southern states with large black populations.

Generally when we talk about freeing ourselves from the terrible Southern states, we're talking about freeing ourselves from the Southern populations that live in those states, and by that we invariably mean the Southern whites but we're just too polite to say it.

I'd be all for Cascadia, that's for sure. Europe seems to trade goods back and forth just fine without everyone being under a single flag.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

Ideally, everyone would always have the means to pay damages to victims of their own gently caress ups, absolutely. What isn't obvious to me is why guns is a special category here. People gently caress up in lots of ways using a wide variety of things, and we don't generally do anything to make sure they can pay for it. Like I said earlier, cars are a special category, because being able to quickly replace your car is important to most people. But no amount of money will quickly fix any problem created by gun violence (it could fix lost wages, but if lost wages are a major concern life insurance is a better fix to this problem).

It's obvious to me because of how easy it is to cause an incredible amount of damage quickly. I can kill or maim half a dozen people in a few seconds through terrible driving or just shooting them. It's much cheaper to do it with a gun! I don't understand where you get this idea that "we don't generally do anything to make sure" that people pay for their mistakes - business insurance, various types of liability insurance and so on are incredibly common requirements all over.

quote:

I don't think the affordability of funerals is a major societal concern, and if it is, it should be subsidized directly. As noted above, lost wages is what life insurance is for.

I shouldn't have to take out life insurance just because gun nuts can't keep their toys locked up. Thus, they should have to take out that insurance. It's not fair to a victim or their family that they're now on the hook for lifetime care or lost wages, and it's not fair to the rest of us potential victims that we should have to incur increased costs to subsidize the risk we face when folks who can't keep their poo poo locked up.

quote:

I don't actually have car insurance, in Washington state, the legally required liability will only pay up to $50k and that's only if multiple people were injured. What I said was probably stated too strongly, there is certainly better insurance plans than the legal minimum, though I still think car insurance typically only covers accidents, which you haven't seem to dispute. Car accidents are also different than gun violence in that when cars damage things, they are often damaged in the process, which puts a ceiling on damage that guns don't have.

No ceiling? All the more reason to ensure there's a way to make sure that damages are paid for. I shouldn't have to subsidize your hobby. You certainly aren't chipping in for fountain pen ink.

I can't address the accident issue with absolute specifics, because my better half with the insurance license isn't responding to texts at the moment - but that being said, car insurance covers plenty of situations where you were at fault. Otherwise, what would be the point and how would others be protected?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

It's obvious to me because of how easy it is to cause an incredible amount of damage quickly.
This doesn't seem honest, guns are not special in this regard. As an example, anything that starts or accelerates fires can easily cause an incredible amount of damage quickly, but there's no fire-making insurance being proposed. (edit: Practically speaking fires cause substantially less damage than guns, but that just means fire-making insurance would be affordable)

quote:

I don't understand where you get this idea that "we don't generally do anything to make sure" that people pay for their mistakes - business insurance, various types of liability insurance and so on are incredibly common requirements all over.
What's the list of things people can buy, but they must have insurance to use? I've got: cars. Businesses need various sorts of insurance, sure, and if we're proposing gun insurance for businesses that own guns, I'd be more ok with that (but I'd still want to see what sort of limits you'd propose).

quote:

I shouldn't have to take out life insurance just because gun nuts can't keep their toys locked up. Thus, they should have to take out that insurance. It's not fair to a victim or their family that they're now on the hook for lifetime care or lost wages, and it's not fair to the rest of us potential victims that we should have to incur increased costs to subsidize the risk we face when folks who can't keep their poo poo locked up.
But why are guns special? There's lots of ways to die, hoping that if you die, it's by gunshot from a gun that was legally owned so your family can go after the gun insurance company is a stupid gamble. If you're dependent on someone's wages, the correct solution to that is to purchase disability/life insurance.

quote:

but that being said, car insurance covers plenty of situations where you were at fault. Otherwise, what would be the point and how would others be protected?
Being at fault is pretty clearly different from deliberately hitting someone. When you are at fault in an accident, it is still an accident. edit: Also, regardless of what insurance companies offer, at least in Washington, the minimum requirement only covers accidents. http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.29.090

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 28, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's a piss poor comparison between cars and guns in every way just stop

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I'm just waiting for the 5-4 supreme court decision that there's nothing in the constitution that gives you the right not to be shot by a petulant teenager.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

oxbrain posted:

The vast majority of tech jobs in the US are not in the pacific northwest.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 28, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Cascadia held the most appeal to me when that shithead George W. Bush was whining about how unfair it was that the PNW got so much cheap public hydropower when everyone else had to pay "market" rates to for-profit utilities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oxbrain posted:

They'll move Boeing.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Then we'll just have to make tractors. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Portland has an ugly flag and should adopt the Doug flag as its own. :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

It's twodot, he can't.

Also the Cascadia thing is cool but I think we should just keep passing laws that contradict federal law rather than secede because as mentioned above, guess who our philosopher kings will be

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SedanChair posted:

It's twodot, he can't.

Also the Cascadia thing is cool but I think we should just keep passing laws that contradict federal law rather than secede because as mentioned above, guess who our philosopher kings will be

no, solknar brought it up, but who cares because its all bad

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm pretty sure if my hypothetical kid steals my car and maims or kills someone with it I'm on the hook for damages.

You're responsible in this instance because it's your kid, not because it's your car.

So in your world if your kid steals someone else's car and kills someone do you really think the family of the deceased is going to sue the person that your kid stole the car from and not you?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

Quit being so loving lazy. If you think it's so terrible, then at least say why. The whole loving point is that when you have something optional and dangerous you have to be responsible for it through some mix of required training, certification, registration and having money/bonds/insurance set up to pay for damages that occur to others because you were a loving idiot. Do you disagree with this?

Krailor posted:

You're responsible in this instance because it's your kid, not because it's your car.

So in your world if your kid steals someone else's car and kills someone do you really think the family of the deceased is going to sue the person that your kid stole the car from and not you?

If you left your death machine unlocked and easily accessible to people who aren't supposed to be using it, then yes you're going to be a party to the lawsuit - this was already addressed!

twodot posted:

This doesn't seem honest, guns are not special in this regard. As an example, anything that starts or accelerates fires can easily cause an incredible amount of damage quickly, but there's no fire-making insurance being proposed. (edit: Practically speaking fires cause substantially less damage than guns, but that just means fire-making insurance would be affordable)

Folks who deal with or transport highly flammable materials are subject to all sorts of regulations, certifications, insurance requirements and transportation restrictions.

quote:

What's the list of things people can buy, but they must have insurance to use? I've got: cars. Businesses need various sorts of insurance, sure, and if we're proposing gun insurance for businesses that own guns, I'd be more ok with that (but I'd still want to see what sort of limits you'd propose).

I don't have to make a loving list, we're just talking about guns. I don't have to account for every single instance of everything that might cause damages to someone else, there's a huge body of law covering this already. Guns are only special because some people believe they shouldn't have to take personal responsibility when they gently caress up and allow others to die through their own negligence.

quote:

But why are guns special? There's lots of ways to die, hoping that if you die, it's by gunshot from a gun that was legally owned so your family can go after the gun insurance company is a stupid gamble. If you're dependent on someone's wages, the correct solution to that is to purchase disability/life insurance.

Again, I don't have to account for a perfect solution to every last thing guns do to innocent people. There are plenty of accidental shootings that happen when kids find and play with guns, or steal their parents guns and shoot up a school, and it's not loving fair to the rest of us that we have to deal with your poo poo.

quote:

Being at fault is pretty clearly different from deliberately hitting someone. When you are at fault in an accident, it is still an accident. edit: Also, regardless of what insurance companies offer, at least in Washington, the minimum requirement only covers accidents. http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.29.090

Again you pedant, I specifically mentioned things like reckless driving, DUIs and so on. I'm talking about negligence here, not premeditation. Like I've made clear several times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would argue that negligence and accidents w/r/t guns is far from the biggest issue--it's murder and assault.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How locked do you expect a thing to be? A car is a broken window and some crossed wires to steal, is anyone who doesn't own a garage negligent if someone steals their locked car and mows down a preschool? How about if someone kicks down your locked door and steals a cased, unloaded gun from your closet? Is "not having a thousand extra dollars for a safe" negligent?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

I would argue that negligence and accidents w/r/t guns is far from the biggest issue--it's murder and assault.

That's perfectly fine and a much easier argument to make. It's just that no one openly plans on murdering or assaulting anyone and negligence is still rampant, so just make them all carry insurance.

Javid posted:

How locked do you expect a thing to be? A car is a broken window and some crossed wires to steal, is anyone who doesn't own a garage negligent if someone steals their locked car and mows down a preschool? How about if someone kicks down your locked door and steals a cased, unloaded gun from your closet? Is "not having a thousand extra dollars for a safe" negligent?

I think outside of specific requirements (gun locks or safes, I think this is a state by state issue), a reasonable person standard should suffice. It isn't about specific measures (though if a state feels like instituting some, then go ahead), it's about ensuring that the owner was acting in a responsible manner and behavior contrary to that is properly accounted for when it risks or harms others.

Your examples are purposefully extreme when this sort of thing is quite common in the law already. Locking a vehicle and ensuring the keys aren't left in the ignition is perfectly reasonable. Having your gun locked away and unloaded is fine. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept for people to understand, but I guess when guns are the topic then reasonable ideas just get thrown out the window.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of an attractive nuisance? Seriously, it's not that loving hard. If you have a gun, there's a risk it could be used to harm others. If it does and you were negligent or malicious, you're on the hook for damages. Since those damages can be huge, you should have to carry insurance to ensure that those damages can be paid. It's really not that loving difficult folks.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 28, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

That's perfectly fine and a much easier argument to make. It's just that no one openly plans on murdering or assaulting anyone and negligence is still rampant, so just make them all carry insurance.

If genuine negligence can be proved it's already actionable, and anyone found at fault should be covered under the liability portion of their homeowner's or renters insurance. So what are you actually proposing here?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Javid posted:

How locked do you expect a thing to be?

Due diligence. There is a huge difference between someone stealing a gun out of a nightstand and stealing it out of even the cheapest locking safe.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Folks who deal with or transport highly flammable materials are subject to all sorts of regulations, certifications, insurance requirements and transportation restrictions.
For some definition of "highly flammable" I suppose that's true. It certainly doesn't apply to lighters and ordinary amounts of propane and such which are clearly capable of the standard you proposed:

Solkanar512 posted:

It's obvious to me because of how easy it is to cause an incredible amount of damage quickly."

quote:

I don't have to make a loving list, we're just talking about guns.
You don't have to make a list, but if you don't have a list then I think my point that we don't generally demand people buy insurance to cover their gently caress ups stands (for instance, we don't do this for people who buy lighters).

quote:

There are plenty of accidental shootings that happen when kids find and play with guns, or steal their parents guns and shoot up a school, and it's not loving fair to the rest of us that we have to deal with your poo poo.

Again you pedant, I specifically mentioned things like reckless driving, DUIs and so on. I'm talking about negligence here, not premeditation. Like I've made clear several times.
This was and is not at all clear, a kid stealing their parent's gun and shooting people on purpose isn't an accidental shooting. It's possible the parents behaved negligently in storing the guns, but the kid is behaving with premeditation. If we are actually talking about accidents then your "incredible amount of damage quickly" standard goes out the window. Guns are certainly dangerous, but lots of stuff causes accidents at similar rates.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LGD posted:

If genuine negligence can be proved it's already actionable, and anyone found at fault should be covered under the liability portion of their homeowner's or renters insurance. So what are you actually proposing here?

I didn't know that homeowner's or renters would cover such damages. The fact that so many gun owners are against the idea that they should be held responsible for their own negligence lead me to believe they were off the hook. So long as the bar for "genuine negligence" isn't too ridiculous, and there's a requirement to carry some form of insurance that will cover these damages, that's really all I'm after.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

I didn't know that homeowner's or renters would cover such damages. The fact that so many gun owners are against the idea that they should be held responsible for their own negligence lead me to believe they were off the hook. So long as the bar for "genuine negligence" isn't too ridiculous, and there's a requirement to carry some form of insurance that will cover these damages, that's really all I'm after.

Well there really isn't a requirement to carry homeowners or renters insurance, but most people do because it's both a really good idea and because anyone giving you a mortgage is going to require it. Laws around it could probably be tightened up in terms of requiring coverage/ensuring it's adequate, but accidental shootings represent such a tiny, tiny proportion of unintentional injuries/deaths* that it's really hard for me to take it seriously as its own public health issue.

*So small that they get lumped into an "Other" category along with drownings, suffocation, and the more unusual/interesting ways of injuring yourself that represents 4% of emergency room visits. We can't say for certain what proportion of those incidents are caused by accidental firearm discharge, but based on fatalities it likely isn't going to be a very high proportion of that total- accidental drownings cause 8 times as many fatalities, and "Other and unspecified nontransport accidents and their sequelae" about 30 times as many.

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 29, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hedera Helix posted:

Portland has an ugly flag and should adopt the Doug flag as its own. :colbert:

Doug does own

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There's no law against leaving your keys in the ignition. Know why? ~*because hand-wringing liberal simps aren't trying to ban cars through a piecemeal series of insincere strategems*~ :keke:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Yes we are. We want to replace all roads with bike lanes.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

mod sassinator posted:

I nominate Kyle MacLachlan as king of Cascadia.

Kshama Sawant as Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Cascadia

Ardennes posted:

Yeah if anything it is really much more about regional identity than you know...an actual separatist movement, I could see some people getting carried away with it but it is never much farther than some Doug Flags. At least in Portland now also see a lot more Portland flags than Oregon state flags as well.

Timber's games are usually a sea of Portland/Doug flags.
ya that's because the Oregon state flag, like 40+ US state flags, is an ugly badly designed piece of poo poo while the Doug flag and Portland city flag are actually cool + good

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

ya that's because the Oregon state flag, like 40+ US state flags, is an ugly badly designed piece of poo poo while the Doug flag and Portland city flag are actually cool + good

One side of the Oregon flag owns.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I support the formation of Cascadia because the flag is so much better than the WA state flag, that poo poo is boring as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ATP_Power posted:

I support the formation of Cascadia because the flag is so much better than the WA state flag, that poo poo is boring as all hell.

They should literally change the flag.

Washington:

Cascadia:

:patriot:

()

• Locked thread